Watch out! 8 predatory techniques that salespeople use to manipulate you

We've all come across the stereotypical greasy salesperson who is more interested in making a sale than in helping us find what we need, but most of us like to think we're immune to their charm (or lack thereof!).

shutterstock_263336918.jpg
Salespeople use all sorts of psychological tricks to get you to buy. Don't be fooled!

The truth is, however, even the savviest shoppers can be taken in by a salesperson's tricks, whether we're aware of it or not. In fact, many of the most skilled salespeople use subtle psychological manipulation techniques to influence our behaviour without us even realising it. Ironically, it's not the greasy salespeople we need to be afraid of - it's the super smooth ones that can really do us in!

Here are 8 examples of psychological manipulation to watch out for the next time you're talking to a salesperson:

1. The Foot-in-the-Door Technique

The foot-in-the-door technique is a sales tactic whereby the salesperson gets the customer to agree to a small request before asking for a larger one. For example, a salesperson might ask a customer if they would be interested in buying a new car, and when the customer says no, the salesperson might then ask if the customer would be interested in taking a test drive.

The customer is likely to agree to the test drive because it is a small request, and once they have agreed, they are more likely to agree to the larger request of buying a new car. This is because agreeing to the first request makes the customer feel committed to the salesperson and the product, and they don't want to appear to be going back on their word.

2. The Door-in-the-Face Technique

The door-in-the-face technique is a classic negotiation tactic whereby the salesperson starts by asking for something outrageous, knowing full well that the customer will say no. They will then follow up with a more reasonable request, which the customer is much more likely to agree to as a ‘compromise’.

As per our car example above, a salesperson using the door-in-the-face technique might start by asking if you're interested in buying a new car for $30,000, knowing that you'll say no. They will then follow up by asking if you're interested in a slightly used car for $15,000, which you're much more likely to agree to.

3. The low-ball technique

The low-ball technique is a classic sales tactic whereby the salesperson quotes a low price for a product or service with the intention of getting the customer to agree to the sale, and then later reveals that the price is actually higher than quoted. This technique takes advantage of our natural tendency to want to get a good deal, and can be difficult to resist if we're not aware of it.

A similar tactic is the "bait and switch", whereby the salesperson uses an enticing offer (the bait) to lure the customer in, only to switch to a less appealing offer once the sale has been agreed to (the switch). This technique is often used in the car industry, whereby a customer is lured in with a low price for a car, only to find that the final price is much higher once all the extras have been added on.

4. The that's-not-all technique

The that's-not-all technique is a sales tactic whereby the salesperson offers the customer a freebie or an incentive to sweeten the deal, with the intention of getting the customer to agree to the sale. This technique takes advantage of our natural tendency to want to get a good deal, and can be difficult to resist if we're not aware of it.

For example, a salesperson might offer a free gift with purchase, or a discount if you buy now. This technique is often used in conjunction with the low-ball technique, as the freebie or discount can make the final price seem more reasonable.

5. The false scarcity technique

The false scarcity technique is a sales tactic whereby the salesperson creates a sense of urgency by falsely claiming that there is a limited supply of the product or that the offer is only available for a limited time. This technique is often used in conjunction with the fear of missing out (FOMO), which is a powerful psychological phenomenon that compels us to take action out of fear that we will miss out on something good.

For example, a salesperson might say, "This dress is the last one in stock in your size, so you'd better buy it now if you want it!" or "I can give you a 10% discount on this purchase if you make it today."

6. The flattery technique

The flattery technique is a form of manipulation in which the salesperson uses compliments or flattery to gain the customer's approval or make them feel good about themselves. This technique is often used to build rapport with the customer or to make them feel more inclined to do business with the salesperson.

For example, a salesperson might say, "That's a great choice of outfit," or "You have excellent taste.” to close the deal.

7. The Sunk Cost Fallacy

This is a common cognitive bias that dictates that we are more likely to continue investing in something as long as we have invested so much in it already, regardless of whether or not it is actually a good investment.

For example, a salesperson might try to convince you to buy a more expensive item by telling you how much money you've already spent on the cheaper item.

8. The Contrast Technique

The contrast technique is a common sales tactic whereby the salesperson presents two products, one of which is significantly cheaper than the other. The contrast technique preys on our natural tendency to evaluate things relative to the other options presented to us, rather than thinking about the product or service on its own merits.

For example, a salesperson might show you a basic, but potentially still overpriced, TV followed by a much more expensive model that comes with all sorts of bells and whistles you don't need. The salesperson will then tell you that the difference in price is due to the additional unnecessary features on the more expensive model, causing you to focus on the cheaper TV and its "bargain" price.

These are just a few of the many psychological manipulation techniques that salespeople use to influence our behaviour. The next time you're talking to a salesperson, be sure to keep an eye out for these tactics, and don't be afraid to walk away if you feel like you're being manipulated.

Looking back, do you think you have been a victim of any of these techniques? And what are some other tricks that we should be watching out for?

Check out the video below for more tactics salespeople use to get us to say yes:

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci, Geri and BJM
Sponsored
Interesting reminder of tactics used by 'charming sleezebags' to separate us from our money.
Do your research and know which features are important to you, and what you are willing to pay extra for.
Your homework is the hardest part....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Absolutely NOT. I go in knowing exactly what I want, if I can't have it, I don't get anything. I asked a salesperson if they had a V8 diesel for sale. They told me 3 times they had a petrol version. In the finish the person with me said I was rude because I called them out. There answer gave me the answer without actually telling me. It's something politicians use, never answer the question and hope that we all forget what the question was.

I fell for the 'refuse to move' tactic, whereby the salesman leaned on the least popular vehicle in the car-yard and refused to show me any others. I bought it in the end and have still got it after 14 years ! Blinking pile of junk... :-(

I feel that as soon as you show any liking for an item, whatever it is, the sales people sense that and play on that. I almost always tend to keep a disappointed look on my face when dealing with these people. I tend to point out flaws in the item and that is not what I want etc. That throws them off a bit. Also I do research and shop around. Most of the time it works, but I am sure I have been conned before.