SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Warning: New myGov 'refund' scam doing the rounds: Don't be fooled!

There is a new phishing scam doing the rounds targeting myGov users in Australia. The scam involves an email that appears to be from myGov, claiming that the recipient's account has an 'outstanding refund' owed to them by myGov.

DALL·E 2022-08-15 11.48.03 - nefarious hacker reeling in a smartphone on a fishing rod, digita...png
Don't get phished! Hackers send out fraudulent but legitimate looking emails to try to steal your data. Source: OpenAI

The email contains a link that takes the user to a fake myGov website, where they are prompted to enter their login details. Once the scammers have the login details, they can then access the victim's myGov account and any linked services, such as banking and tax.

The scam was first brought to our attention on the Australian section of Reddit, a popular social media site, with the original poster sharing a screenshot of the fake myGov message. Other users have also reported receiving similar messages, with some providing additional advice and information.

'myGov never sends anything out except a very short email saying you have new mail in your inbox and you are to login to check it,' wrote one user, with another replying 'scams like this are exactly why they don't tell you what's in the message.'

Another user provided further clarification on why this email was immediately suspicious: 'myGov has nothing to do with money anyway. It's just an authentication system and website portal through to the other services like ATO and Centrelink etc.

‘"myGov Refund Service" doesn't even make sense.'

Users also provided examples of various other types of scams doing the rounds.

'[My] Mother in law fell for the “hi it’s your eldest, I lost my phone and I’ve got a new number can you help me pay this bill”. She paid 5 bills before the real son came over and raised the alarm because he had no idea what they were talking about. Got most of the money back in the end but she paid out nearly 5 grand. Not particularly helpful the son was prone to losing his phone and getting new numbers, but it shows how easy it can be. If it looks legit it flies under the radar. Be careful.'

Members, we run scam awareness articles like these every week or two, but sadly people are still falling for them. So please, be vigilant and don't click on any links or enter any details unless you are 100% sure they are legitimate. Here are a few extra tips to help you stay safe online:

• Always be suspicious of unsolicited emails and messages, even if they appear to be from a trusted source. If you're not expecting an email, don't open it.

• Never click on links or attachments in suspicious emails or messages.

• Don't enter your login details on any website unless you are absolutely sure it is legitimate. If you're unsure, type the address of the website into your browser manually to be sure.

• Keep your software and antivirus up to date.

If you think you may have fallen victim to a scam, there is an Australian government agency called 'ReportCyber', where you can report cybercrime to the police. Check it out here.

If you come across a scam, you can also report it to the ACCC's ScamWatch, and we'd appreciate it if you could post it in our scams section too so that we can warn other members.

None of us are immune to these grubs, all it takes is a moment of inattention or being distracted and you're down hundreds or thousands. Take care everyone, if something pops up on your computer that you're not sure about leave it well alone until you feel you are able to rationally deal with it, or delete it immediately.:mad:

Thank you SDC - you have made me very aware of the " increase " in scam phone/emails.. This week alone ( and only one day gone !!! ) 5 phone calls and 3 emails, so EVERYONE be careful. We earned our money, these scam ratbags are the scum and will take whatever they can - the trouble is - we as the public are never told when scammers are uncovered, so who do we watch out for, apart from the obvious?

When my son first set up an email address for me, in 2005, to use at the local Library, he told me very firmly to NEVER open an email if I didn't recognise the sender, no matter how tempting it may appear.
He said if it's genuine, they'll contact me some other way.
I have been obedient to his instruction, and have applied the same rule to my mobile phone, which I got in 2018.
Be alert, everyone, stay as safe as you possibly can.
Why should we have to beat ourselves up if we trust people?????

So why can't anyone find these people and jail them !!!
There was a channel 7 news program done on this very subject, with Denham Hitchcock. There is a large, beautiful building in the middle of Delhi, I think, that houses only scam callers. The police and authorities know about it but there is so much money being made they turn a blind eye and let them get on with it. This was a very interesting show

I'm a very lucky person!! So far today I've received over $60,000 into my account (that I need to verify). I've also missed delivery of two different parcels so they need to verify my details, I can lose over 16kg in a month if I send my details and I've been nominated for $500 gift cards for Bunnings, Coles and Woolies, all I need to do is verify my details and give them the enclosed code. And it's not even lunchtime yet!!! At this rate I'll have no more money worries for the rest of my life (mostly because they will have stolen it all)!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@Marj53 Just my personal theory, but I suspect many of them operate overseas in countries where the police, etc. can be easily paid off.
You are probably right. Wouldn't you think that they could set up an international investigation operation that could prosecute everyone involved? After all isn't what they do fraud or theft ? Sorry this just gripes me so much ☹☹

There is a new phishing scam doing the rounds targeting myGov users in Australia. The scam involves an email that appears to be from myGov, claiming that the recipient's account has an 'outstanding refund' owed to them by myGov.

View attachment 5178
Don't get phished! Hackers send out fraudulent but legitimate looking emails to try to steal your data. Source: OpenAI

The email contains a link that takes the user to a fake myGov website, where they are prompted to enter their login details. Once the scammers have the login details, they can then access the victim's myGov account and any linked services, such as banking and tax.

The scam was first brought to our attention on the Australian section of Reddit, a popular social media site, with the original poster sharing a screenshot of the fake myGov message. Other users have also reported receiving similar messages, with some providing additional advice and information.

'myGov never sends anything out except a very short email saying you have new mail in your inbox and you are to login to check it,' wrote one user, with another replying 'scams like this are exactly why they don't tell you what's in the message.'

Another user provided further clarification on why this email was immediately suspicious: 'myGov has nothing to do with money anyway. It's just an authentication system and website portal through to the other services like ATO and Centrelink etc.

‘"myGov Refund Service" doesn't even make sense.'

Users also provided examples of various other types of scams doing the rounds.

'[My] Mother in law fell for the “hi it’s your eldest, I lost my phone and I’ve got a new number can you help me pay this bill”. She paid 5 bills before the real son came over and raised the alarm because he had no idea what they were talking about. Got most of the money back in the end but she paid out nearly 5 grand. Not particularly helpful the son was prone to losing his phone and getting new numbers, but it shows how easy it can be. If it looks legit it flies under the radar. Be careful.'

Members, we run scam awareness articles like these every week or two, but sadly people are still falling for them. So please, be vigilant and don't click on any links or enter any details unless you are 100% sure they are legitimate. Here are a few extra tips to help you stay safe online:

• Always be suspicious of unsolicited emails and messages, even if they appear to be from a trusted source. If you're not expecting an email, don't open it.

• Never click on links or attachments in suspicious emails or messages.

• Don't enter your login details on any website unless you are absolutely sure it is legitimate. If you're unsure, type the address of the website into your browser manually to be sure.

• Keep your software and antivirus up to date.

If you think you may have fallen victim to a scam, there is an Australian government agency called 'ReportCyber', where you can report cybercrime to the police. Check it out here.

If you come across a scam, you can also report it to the ACCC's ScamWatch, and we'd appreciate it if you could post it in our scams section too so that we can warn other members.
Seriously, it’s really Getty hard to feel sorry for anyone who falls for these scams nosy!! How many times have MyGov stated that they NEVER send emails that as you to follow a link?!?!?! If you’re on the internet & use email etc. then you need the understandings that go with that to keep you safe, if not then don’t use it!!

There was a channel 7 news program done on this very subject, with Denham Hitchcock. There is a large, beautiful building in the middle of Delhi, I think, that houses only scam callers. The police and authorities know about it but there is so much money being made they turn a blind eye and let them get on with it. This was a very interesting show
I worked in IT in large banks in the 70's. One competitor decided to 'move' their IT to India. At that time I remarked to colleagues, that opens the risk of AU customers data being exposed. I believe that staff in some Indian IT companies are now sharing / selling our private data. That is why some scams are so successful, as the caller having so much knowledge convinces us that he is legit. I was 20 years in IT, and yet they nearly convinced me in a recent call. So what hope does the general public have. The government does not do enough in warning the public..

I had a myGov communication just like this with the same message BUT the suffix after the dot was .uk and I was owed $836.
Nobody owes me $836 and certanly not an Australian government office in the UK. It is now lying out there somewhere in an infinitely large Deleted items/junk folder bin

None of us are immune to these grubs, all it takes is a moment of inattention or being distracted and you're down hundreds or thousands. Take care everyone, if something pops up on your computer that you're not sure about leave it well alone until you feel you are able to rationally deal with it, or delete it immediately.:mad:
As a Retired Banker with some knowledge of this “Arch Basterdry “if you are in ANY doubt about an Email, Delete immediately. please,