Viruses knock Aussies off their feet for weeks! Learn how to avoid the same fate

As the chill of winter descends upon us, Aussies are finding themselves huddled indoors, seeking warmth and comfort.

However, this seasonal shift brings with it more than just a drop in temperature; it heralds a wave of respiratory viruses that are leaving many Aussies bedridden for weeks, with symptoms that some say are 'worse than COVID’.

Health workers nationwide are raising the alarm over a potent mix of respiratory illnesses that are spreading rapidly.

The impact of these viruses is to be considered, as they can knock even the healthiest individuals off their feet.

The situation is worsened by what experts are calling 'vaccine fatigue'.

1720740198880.png
Health workers reported a mix of respiratory viruses spreading across Australia, leaving people bedridden for weeks, feeling worse than with COVID-19. Credit: Shutterstock

After years of COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters, Australians seem less inclined to roll up their sleeves for the flu shot.

This reluctance is leading to complacency, which in turn is resulting in a spike in severe cases of flu and other respiratory viruses.

Dr Joel Ten, a spokesperson for the National Asthma Council Australia and a Melbourne-based GP, has observed the toll these viruses take.

‘I've seen a number of patients who have reported that they've had quite severe symptoms with the flu, but it does depend from person to person,' he said.

‘There are a lot of respiratory viruses floating around at the moment; it's not just COVID and influenza.’

‘There are many others that we don't routinely test for. Another big one that has been around is respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).’

‘There are other viruses like parainfluenza, rhinovirus, and metapneumovirus that can also infect people outside of the big three.’

‘And certainly, some of my patients have said similar things that when they've contracted one, they felt that it was worse than COVID itself.’

Natalie Hunt, a Sydney resident, can attest to the severity of these illnesses.

She's been bedridden for weeks, suffering from symptoms that have outlasted and outdone her bout with COVID-19.

'This is the longest and nastiest illness I've had since I was a kid,' she shared.

‘Nasty, green chesty mucus, cough, fatigue, swollen glands, lower back pain, blocked ears — I've had it all.’

Dr Ten suggested that the lack of flu vaccinations could contribute to the severity of the illnesses.

‘So certainly, if you've not been vaccinated for the flu, but you've been vaccinated for COVID, that could explain why some people are getting influenza subjectively worse than some people have gotten COVID.’ he said.

‘Whatever [viruses] are prevalent in the northern hemisphere, vaccines will be generated against generally the top four of those particular ones.’

‘And then that gets shipped across to us in the southern hemisphere. And then hopefully, whatever we get vaccination-wise is going match up with whatever strains are floating around.’

In related news, NSW residents are urged to get vaccinated as influenza cases surge, with over 4,700 diagnoses in April.

Health authorities are especially concerned about vulnerable groups, including young children, older adults, and individuals with severe health conditions. Read more about this news here.
Key Takeaways

• Health workers reported a mix of respiratory viruses spreading across Australia, leaving people bedridden for weeks and feeling worse than with COVID-19.
  • Australians are showing complacency towards flu vaccinations due to vaccine fatigue, contributing to the spread and severity of the illnesses.
  • Doctors encountered patients with severe symptoms, some inflicted by strains of flu perceived to be more brutal than COVID-19.
  • The flu has significantly increased in Australia, especially among children, with raw numbers indicating a tougher flu season than the previous year.
Have you or someone you know been affected by the recent wave of respiratory illnesses? Share your experiences and tips for staying healthy in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It might be time for all unbelievers to voluntarily stay locked up in a 1-bedroom place without air, never to walk outside again just so they do not breathe in contaminated air and never get sick.

I offer an big SORRY to all unbelievers; I will continue to take the necessary precautions with masks, immunisation etc. and leave the rest of my life in the hands of a higher being. When it’s my time to go, I will be able to say thanks for my 79-plus good years on earth and I will make room for someone else to have a life here.

I had one stroke in 2015, quick attention by my husband and especially all medics and a 12cm clot was removed from my brain. I walked out of hospital in 7 days with no lasting disabilities and thank doctors and medical staff for everything done for me. No other serious medical complaints in my 79 years because I was given necessary immunisation as a child and through my life have taken the advice of doctors.

Have a good life everyone - only you can each take your own path.
Maybe it’s time for frightened people like to stay home locked up.
Stop forcing your beliefs on others.
Well done for looking after yourself the way you think you should and please keep doing that.
I am 71 and have only worn a mask when it was law, as not to break the law.
I will never wear a mask where it is not compulsory. I have had two Covid vaccines (no more) and have the flu vaccination every year.
I have never had Covid, yes I have had the flu, (funny that eh? Since I’m vaccinated against it).
But I will never carry on and criticise you for your beliefs or those of the opposite view.
what really pisses me off is people making comments like your first paragraph, attempting to force your briefs down other peoples throats.
I certainly hope you continue to live a longer happy life doing for you what you think is best as will I continue to do what I think is best.You have8 years head start on me but I wonder which one of us will reach the magic 100 mark first?

Thank you for supplying me with my daily comic strip you clown. You do make me laugh.
I cannot believe anybody can Be so scared of Monkeypox.
All the scaremongering has certainly got you running scared.
24 cases of monkeypox in Victoria since April. Certainly a reason for another statewide lockdown and curfew eh?
You can neither justify your idiot comments, nor do you want to learn; and your main role in life is simply one of throwing out the angry abuse of one who proudly maintains their deliberate ignorance. So you are become a twerp. It's that simple.

Maybe it’s time for frightened people like to stay home locked up.
Stop forcing your beliefs on others.
Well done for looking after yourself the way you think you should and please keep doing that.
I am 71 and have only worn a mask when it was law, as not to break the law.
I will never wear a mask where it is not compulsory. I have had two Covid vaccines (no more) and have the flu vaccination every year.
I have never had Covid, yes I have had the flu, (funny that eh? Since I’m vaccinated against it).
But I will never carry on and criticise you for your beliefs or those of the opposite view.
what really pisses me off is people making comments like your first paragraph, attempting to force your briefs down other peoples throats.
I certainly hope you continue to live a longer happy life doing for you what you think is best as will I continue to do what I think is best.You have8 years head start on me but I wonder which one of us will reach the magic 100 mark first?
The way I read it, @Catherines was simply stating how she feels. I never felt like anyone was “attempting to force your ‘briefs’ down other peoples throats” as you’ve stated @BruceC. 😆

You are become a twerp?.
Well that explains everything.
Go hide away from that Monkeypox because as you are a monkey you will certainly catch it!!

"I have had two Covid vaccines (no more) and have the flu vaccination every year.
I have never had Covid, yes I have had the flu, (funny that eh? Since I’m vaccinated against it)."

Well done! You have learnt something.

Lesson number 2: viruses mutate and vaccination for one strain of a virus does not necessarily give full protection against the mutated strain. I assume you understand that fine point of genetics. Some viruses appear to mutate more readily than others, hence no doubt your bout of influenza, presuming that it was not merely the common cold and you mistook the symptoms. Or perhaps, and perish the thought, it was Covid that you mistook for the flu and you only had a very mild version, thanks to your Covid vaccinations, although perhaps you did try to test yourself for that?

Last edited:
Telling unbelievers to stay locked at home!
Thats not forcing one’s beliefs on others eh?
Read it again @BruceC. Catherines wasn’t telling people to stay locked up at home.

“It might be time for all unbelievers to voluntarily…”.

We all are entitled to say what we believe, but you take it to an overly sensitive and defensive level. ☹️

• Love
Reactions: siameezer
Someone needs to address the elephant in the room !

quote- “‘So certainly, if you've not been vaccinated for the flu, but you've been vaccinated for COVID, that could explain why some people are getting influenza subjectively worse than some people have gotten COVID.’ he said.”

there’s your proof that it’s NOT “safe and effective“ as its making people worse, after jabby!!

• Angry
The message is to keep up your vaccinations. Ask your GP. I am a part-time GP and have been wearing masks since Covid started, the only place I don't is in a meeting or when eating.
I attend hospital three days a week for treatment for myself and wear one there. Visitors don't wear mask and only a few patients do. I am classified as immunosuppressed, but have not had Covid or any other respiratory infection in the past five years. People seem in denial about these serious illnesses, and also whooping cough etc. I think masks should be mandated in clinics and hospitals, it's stupid that they aren't. It's not a great imposition to have to wear one. Another point, there is a high incidence of heart attack within 6 weeks of onset of influenza, and it can also cause viral pneumonia, which can be fatal. This a fact, not a scare campaign.
Whatabout Myocarditis ? Pericarditis ? Causing aggressive cancer, ? Your immunosuppressant is most likEly caused by partaking in the experiment !

• Angry
Someone needs to address the elephant in the room !

quote- “‘So certainly, if you've not been vaccinated for the flu, but you've been vaccinated for COVID, that could explain why some people are getting influenza subjectively worse than some people have gotten COVID.’ he said.”

there’s your proof that it’s NOT “safe and effective“ as its making people worse, after jabby!!
Whom is the "he" whom you quote? "Could" is merely supposition, NOT safe and effective proof.

Your proof of dumb , !
have you read the article above ?
the quote is directly taken from that !! 🙄
‘I've seen a number of patients who have reported that they've had quite severe symptoms with the flu, but it does depend from person to person,' he said.

‘There are a lot of respiratory viruses floating around at the moment; it's not just COVID and influenza.’

‘There are many others that we don't routinely test for. Another big one that has been around is respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).’

‘There are other viruses like parainfluenza, rhinovirus, and metapneumovirus that can also infect people outside of the big three.’

‘And certainly, some of my patients have said similar things that when they've contracted one, they felt that it was worse than COVID itself.’

‘So certainly, if you've not been vaccinated for the flu, but you've been vaccinated for COVID, that could explain why some people are getting influenza subjectively worse than some people have gotten COVID.’ he said.

‘Whatever [viruses] are prevalent in the northern hemisphere, vaccines will be generated against generally the top four of those particular ones.’

‘And then that gets shipped across to us in the southern hemisphere. And then hopefully, whatever we get vaccination-wise is going match up with whatever strains are floating around.’

Dr Jen Toel, SDC article.

“‘So certainly, if you've not been vaccinated for the flu, but you've been vaccinated for COVID, that could explain why some people are getting influenza subjectively worse than some people have gotten COVID.’ he said.”

Your quote from the "article above".

"Subjectively" being a key word. "Could" being a supposition. As is well-known Covid hits people in different ways; some barely feel anything whereas others die. Just as with influenza.

You say, "there’s your proof that it’s NOT “safe and effective“ as its making people worse, after jabby!!"

That is a blanket, motherhood statement for which the article provides no proof.

By the way; next time you quote someone, give the source as that is being polite to the person quoted and to your readers. "He" is not adequate.

It is so nice to hear from a professional - a doctor - who advises us to use masks in hospitals. There are far too many on this site that believe this is all concocted by “theorists” and is all BS. Some have good immunity even without swallowing pills and potions, and others don’t have it. No one is immune to EVERYTHING and advice is just that - advice. But for some to come out virtually saying this is just BS made up by ‘big pharma’ and the government wanting our money, is so ridiculous.

We have seen and heard of hundreds falling victim to CoVid and, in general, so many of the yearly infections. How can this be all BS? However, no one was meant to live forever and anything, any time could take our lives away. Walk out our front door and we could be hit by a car and that’s the end of us.

Thank you doctor for coming on and speaking your mind and advising the unbelievers about precautions.
That’s ok. Thank you. I’m currently in the hospital having treatment. I have my mask on The only time I remove it is when the much anticipated afternoon tea trolley comes around! Today I get an egg sandwich and biscuits! Cheers. You are very sensible.

Whatabout Myocarditis ? Pericarditis ? Causing aggressive cancer, ? Your immunosuppressant is most likEly caused by partaking in the experiment !
"Monocytes are white blood cells, known as leukocytes. They are an important part of the innate immune system and contribute to host defense in the blood by secreting large quantities of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Abnormal activity of monocytes leads to hyperinflammation, i.e. very severe inflammation, as well as life-threatening cytokine storms. On the other hand, disturbed monocyte function is associated with “immune paralysis.”"

Source, via today's SciTech Daily :

Reference: “Platelet transcription factors license the pro-inflammatory cytokine response of human monocytes” by Ibrahim Hawwari, Lukas Rossnagel, Nathalia Rosero, Salie Maasewerd, Matilde B Vasconcelos, Marius Jentzsch, Agnieszka Demczuk, Lino L Teichmann, Lisa Meffert, Damien Bertheloot, Lucas S Ribeiro, Sebastian Kallabis, Felix Meissner, Moshe Arditi, Asli E Atici, Magali Noval Rivas and Bernardo S Franklin, 8 July 2024, EMBO Molecular Medicine.
DOI: 10.1038/s44321-024-00093-3..

This would suggest that Myocarditis and Pericarditis after Covid vaccination could be the result of inflammation as a result of the initial natural immune response brought about by the Covid-19 vaccine. The research article goes on to indicate a way of minimising the inflammatory effect of cytokines production. Many things trigger one's immune response and thus many things can contribute to the consequent inflammation; this would include the body's response to any vaccine, and of course any immune response to any viral or bacterial infection. Which then means, on the individual basis, that one seeks a balance in thinking about the way one's body will react to either the vaccine or the virus/bacterium.

In regard to social responsibility, do you put your fellow person at risk by not being vaccinated and becoming a carrier of the virus (even for a week or so), or do you take the risk of being vaccinated to help stamp out the virus, as was done with smallpox? If the answer is no to the vaccine, then the call of social responsibility demands quarantine such as finally enforced on Typhoid Mary.

PS. You did ask about Myocarditis and Pericarditis.

I had my illness before Covid. It amazes me how people get so fired up about Covid vaccines and taking sensible precautions to avoid infections but may happily have other vaccines with no such wacky conspiracy-based ideas . . Myocarditis has occurred with Covid vaccines but it’s much more common with Covid infection. It can also occur with influenza.

Reactions: siameezer and Rob44
In regard to social responsibility, do you put your fellow person at risk by not being vaccinated and becoming a carrier of the virus (even for a week or so), or do you take the risk of being vaccinated to help stamp out the virus, as was done with smallpox? If the answer is no to the vaccine, then the call of social responsibility demands quarantine such as finally enforced on Typhoid Mary.

The raising of the social responsibility aspect is an important one in my opinion. If considered, it does sit in the realms of different camps that people choose to pitch their tent in. If the health considerations of others, including family, are considered the decision lines within the realm of social responsibility are clear, irrespective of the residing camps beliefs, factually acceptable or otherwise.

"Monocytes are white blood cells, known as leukocytes. They are an important part of the innate immune system and contribute to host defense in the blood by secreting large quantities of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Abnormal activity of monocytes leads to hyperinflammation, i.e. very severe inflammation, as well as life-threatening cytokine storms. On the other hand, disturbed monocyte function is associated with “immune paralysis.”"

Source, via today's SciTech Daily :

Reference: “Platelet transcription factors license the pro-inflammatory cytokine response of human monocytes” by Ibrahim Hawwari, Lukas Rossnagel, Nathalia Rosero, Salie Maasewerd, Matilde B Vasconcelos, Marius Jentzsch, Agnieszka Demczuk, Lino L Teichmann, Lisa Meffert, Damien Bertheloot, Lucas S Ribeiro, Sebastian Kallabis, Felix Meissner, Moshe Arditi, Asli E Atici, Magali Noval Rivas and Bernardo S Franklin, 8 July 2024, EMBO Molecular Medicine.
DOI: 10.1038/s44321-024-00093-3..

This would suggest that Myocarditis and Pericarditis after Covid vaccination could be the result of inflammation as a result of the initial natural immune response brought about by the Covid-19 vaccine. The research article goes on to indicate a way of minimising the inflammatory effect of cytokines production. Many things trigger one's immune response and thus many things can contribute to the consequent inflammation; this would include the body's response to any vaccine, and of course any immune response to any viral or bacterial infection. Which then means, on the individual basis, that one seeks a balance in thinking about the way one's body will react to either the vaccine or the virus/bacterium.

PS. You did ask about Myocarditis and Pericarditis.

Thank you for that information. References are important and useful for those amongst us that look for facts and whom wish to gain more knowledge. That is not to say strong anecdotal stories are not important, because they are.

It is possible people who oppose jabs have endured a bad experience with vaccinations or perhaps government controls during Covid had a greater negative impact upon them than others. This may explain why it is rare that source data is revealed. Proving their stance may simply be unimportant to them when their strong beliefs from personal experiences are enough.

Why are people are still leaving home without a mask on, they're just asking to get sick. I for one don't go anywhere without a mask as I'm not about to put my health in jeopardy due to ignorant people not covering up when they cough or sneeze.
Same here, never leave home without a mask on

Reactions: Rob44
My goodness - you are a grumpy old person, Wyngaard. Nothing seems to be right for you, no matter what SDC is saying from their research of news - be it good news or otherwise. This site is for everyone and no one needs to hear criticism of this organisation from a grumpy old person like you.

Get a life Wyngaard.. If you don’t want to accept that there are issues of all kinds, not just medical issues, that can AND WILL one day affect some of the members who read information on this site - remove yourself from SDC and you won’t have to read what you call, to quote your own words, “SHYTE”. You are not the only one who reads information from SDC. If you don’t like this site get lost, for goodness sake. Most of us don’t need you here. The people who do all this criticism of SDC articles need to get off this site and stay off this site. It is for all that want to read and accept (or not accept) the information. But criticising SDC is not the way to go. Keep your criticism to yourself.

I sincerely hope you haven’t had, and won’t be affected by, CoVid or any other illness which you think is just people and ‘big pharma’ trying to scare us and make a profit. You have made me, and possibly many others, quite angry with your comments and especially your criticism of SDC.
Oh that's going a bit to far, poor Wyngaard he is a member like the rest of us and if you don't like his opinions don't read them. I think the comments were very unfair and hurtful.

The message is to keep up your vaccinations. Ask your GP. I am a part-time GP and have been wearing masks since Covid started, the only place I don't is in a meeting or when eating.
I attend hospital three days a week for treatment for myself and wear one there. Visitors don't wear mask and only a few patients do. I am classified as immunosuppressed, but have not had Covid or any other respiratory infection in the past five years. People seem in denial about these serious illnesses, and also whooping cough etc. I think masks should be mandated in clinics and hospitals, it's stupid that they aren't. It's not a great imposition to have to wear one. Another point, there is a high incidence of heart attack within 6 weeks of onset of influenza, and it can also cause viral pneumonia, which can be fatal. This a fact, not a scare campaign.
My doctor's clinic has everyone wear masks whenever there's an upturn on any virus and reception hands them out to people who attend without one. Some get annoyed by that but still put them on.