Viral gender reveal fiasco sparks heated debate online

Gender reveal parties are becoming a trend among millennial parents thanks of course to social media. Expectant parents from around the world share their big moments via Facebook, TikTok, Instagram and more, for the eyes of all kinds of people.

While a lot of unique gender reveal parties are going viral on different social media platforms, some of these videos make it big for the wrong reasons.

One such video was uploaded by TikTok user @rayneshia3, who shared the clip from an unknown source.

Credit: TikTok/@rayneshia3

In the video, a man and a woman (presumably, the parents) are standing with a little girl (presumably, the couple's daughter) in front of a backyard gathering.

The mum is holding a black helium balloon — which is thought to contain the new baby's gender — while her daughter is holding a pin.

The mum then instructs her daughter to pop the balloon by stabbing it with the pin.

The nervous little girl fails to pop the balloon which leads to the mum taking the pin from the girl.

However, the little girl grabs it back and forcefully throws it on the ground with an overwhelmed scream.

The mum then slaps her daughter’s hand in frustration.

The clip then shows that the mum accidentally loses her grip on the balloon as she gets distracted by her daughter, leading to the balloon sailing quickly into the air.

2UxhbK70MvVn7kZHkGid1XouOwfEf5j41--iYkrqTpKIMkNjayHeiJHHf_fnLt2zp3T-XIDKup-iL3DjToU2J_U1xO8xnXs5KnFs0O8pEZwT4Zqqgvxc4C_v8hKW1J64IOlxT2I

The viral gender reveal fiasco sparked a heated debate on TikTok. Credit: TikTok/@rayneshia3.

The viral video, which was viewed more than 8.9 million times, sparked a heated debate among TikTok users, with some saying that the little girl is at fault for the mishap.

One user wrote: "Perfect ad for birth control."

Others argued that it wasn't fair for the mum to expect her daughter to act a certain way during the party.

"Lesson 101, don’t involve kids, they get overwhelmed by the pressure and don’t react the way you want," one person advised.

"Everyone’s yelling at her and she doesn’t know what to do. She’s a kid she’s gonna scream and then her mum hits her," another said.

Another added: "There was too much pressure put on that little girl. She was overwhelmed, that's why she acted like this."

To which one argued: "There was literally no pressure, the mum took the pin so she could do it and instead she screamed for it back."

Meanwhile, others pointed out that it was outrageous that the mum's initial response was to slap her daughter's hand, inviting more arguments from users.

One wrote: "I don’t know, there’s so much going on in this video that makes me mad."

"Y’all, it was a slap on the hand, you guys are acting like she beat that child," argued another.

A third wrote: "Y'all she tapped that kid's hand I can tell y'all have never actually been whipped - that kid needs more discipline."

What are your thoughts? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The child was acting like a brat when she threw the pin on the ground. A slap on the hand is entirely appropriate. Why is it that in these modern times, people look at children as precious little souls who can do no wrong? They are precious little souls, but boy, can they be a pain in the proverbial!

This child will recover. Good practice for the VERY necessary life skill of resilience. I’m a retired teacher and nurse. I’m also a mum and grandmother. I know a bit about kids.

And for the record, I think sex (gender is a modern construct I refuse to entertain) reveal parties are dumb. Send the money you want to spend on a party to SIDS.

I think the little girl was nervous as she knew there was going to be a big bang when she popped the balloon which made her hesitate to do it, the Mother was too impatient then the kid went into brat mode and deserved the smack on the hand and bye, bye balloon. Made it an amusing video though, for us not them!!!

Gender reveal parties are becoming a trend among millennial parents thanks of course to social media. Expectant parents from around the world share their big moments via Facebook, TikTok, Instagram and more, for the eyes of all kinds of people.

While a lot of unique gender reveal parties are going viral on different social media platforms, some of these videos make it big for the wrong reasons.

One such video was uploaded by TikTok user @rayneshia3, who shared the clip from an unknown source.

In the video, a man and a woman (presumably, the parents) are standing with a little girl (presumably, the couple's daughter) in front of a backyard gathering.

The mum is holding a black helium balloon — which is thought to contain the new baby's gender — while her daughter is holding a pin.

The mum then instructs her daughter to pop the balloon by stabbing it with the pin.

The nervous little girl fails to pop the balloon which leads to the mum taking the pin from the girl.

However, the little girl grabs it back and forcefully throws it on the ground with an overwhelmed scream.

The clip then shows that the mum accidentally loses her grip on the balloon as she gets distracted by her daughter, leading to the balloon sailing quickly into the air.

2UxhbK70MvVn7kZHkGid1XouOwfEf5j41--iYkrqTpKIMkNjayHeiJHHf_fnLt2zp3T-XIDKup-iL3DjToU2J_U1xO8xnXs5KnFs0O8pEZwT4Zqqgvxc4C_v8hKW1J64IOlxT2I

The viral gender reveal fiasco sparked a heated debate on TikTok. Credit: TikTok/@rayneshia3.

The viral video, which was viewed more than 8.9 million times, sparked a heated debate among TikTok users, with some saying that the little girl is at fault for the mishap.

Others argued that it wasn't fair for the mum to expect her daughter to act a certain way during the party.

"Lesson 101, don’t involve kids, they get overwhelmed by the pressure and don’t react the way you want," one person advised.

"Everyone’s yelling at her and she doesn’t know what to do. She’s a kid she’s gonna scream and then her mum hits her," another said.

Another added: "There was too much pressure put on that little girl. She was overwhelmed, that's why she acted like this."

To which one argued: "There was literally no pressure, the mum took the pin so she could do it and instead she screamed for it back."

Meanwhile, others pointed out that it was outrageous that the mum's initial response was to slap her daughter's hand, inviting more arguments from users.

One wrote: "I don’t know, there’s so much going on in this video that makes me mad."

"Y’all, it was a slap on the hand, you guys are acting like she beat that child," argued another.

A third wrote: "Y'all she tapped that kid's hand I can tell y'all have never actually been whipped - that kid needs more discipline."

OMGOSH a slap on the hand!!!!!!! Big deal. There is a difference between a slap and a beating ..... children these days are not disciplined enough because of the do gooders saying you should not "hit your child"

Who cares?? Yet another reason why I don't belong to these social media outlets like TikTok, Facebook, Twitter or the rest of them. There are so many problems in society and THIS is what is important to people? These social media outlets are contributing to the destruction of society. The brat deserved more than a smack on the fingers, however, mummy should have been smarter and waited until the camera was off!

Reactions: SandyM and Ricci

This little girl was being a 'little girl', but she was having a tantrum by screaming for the pin back. A smack isn't a bad thing, and it's the prerogative of a parent whether to do that or not, simply nobody else's business. I'm tired of this judgemental approach to everything.

You present a child with a pin and confront her with a large and scary balloon, which she is expected to pop. She refuses - logically (most children block their ears to avoid the loud and unexpected noise) - and has the pin thrust back into her hand after having expressed physically her unwillingness to take part in this farce (angrily, I will add, judging from the look on her mother's face).
The mother's reaction was totally wrong - but karma reacted perfectly :)

The child was obviously scared of the large balloon, then being forced to pop it sent her into overdrive, her Mother should have accepted that she was scared and popped it herself! it was all show for the family with disregard to her daughters anxiety.
I don't think she deserved the smack! all this pomp and ceremony for a gender reveal, it's over the top as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Ricci

Definitely more discipline for the spoilt child was needed. The parents were good to try to include the child in the first place.

Reactions: Ricci
The child was obviously scared of the large balloon, then being forced to pop it sent her into overdrive, her Mother should have accepted that she was scared and popped it herself! it was all show for the family with disregard to her daughters anxiety.
I don't think she deserved the smack! all this pomp and ceremony for a gender reveal, it's over the top as far as I'm concerned.
Basically my thoughts, too! (Wonder if parents ever put Christmas (Birthday) presents out on display and tell their children exactly what is in them?)