Video demonstrating how to butter your bread CORRECTLY stirs fierce debate online — “This doesn’t even make sense!”

Have you ever wondered if you're buttering your toast wrong?

We're sure most of us here at SDC have not given this everyday task much thought. But, did you know that if you butter a piece of bread by slathering in the butter in a piece that you want to eat, then you're actually doing it wrong?

We know you’re double-taking at this one, folks. An etiquette expert has indeed revealed that buttering your piece of bread this way is actually not the correct way of doing it.

So, how are we supposed to do this simple task correctly?

Dr Clinton Lee has taken to TikTok to reveal the correct manner of how to butter a piece of bread.

Credit: TikTok/@apwasiwine

In his latest video, he explained how the usual butter-slathering technique is an improper table manner.

He explains: “Many people will take the entire piece of bread and butter it on their plate.”

While he recognised that the method is "practical" for most people, the certified dining master demonstrated how you should spread butter on your bread.

According to Mr Lee, the first thing you need to do to butter your bread is to place the butter onto your plate.

“This is where the saying comes from, ‘breaking bread’,” he said.

“You break the bread into small, mouth-sized pieces, butter it and there you go. Perfect.”

ijwX4xLVIqPymJlzmAz4IwrdFenAAV3baM44KI2GTj4xFTsO6UXftSAt6RV9NbsK64hsXkgkRiI-MmzLw83m8VaiT6YxJw_21Fvz9xa0bf541GD73SttXBJRcpAkoKUbH2uuif0
fGLrJGE9z1K8UgDMr9LVukaycRbgHExUv2QZHqckaOamq0e2EVut5gmcDr-ATANTJis_hDOKk5-jlKiTlrLpJhLIpmzwCGJ5_YJ0uOqYVTCtVkr5a0V-VG9N_kfmJpEdLVfHIio

The etiquette expert said that you should break the bread into small pieces instead of slathering a butter on it. Credit: TikTok/@apwasiwine.

The video went viral, amassing more than 4.4 million views and over 4,500 comments from TikTok users who have mixed reactions to the clip.

A number of users pointed out that the expression "breaking bread" originated from the Bible, where it was used to describe the act of sharing meals with others.

Many users expressed how horrible they felt about themselves, describing themselves as "monsters" and "barbaric" for not knowing the basic table manners for such a minuscule task.

However, others refused to believe this claim, describing that the extra steps were "unnecessary".

One person wrote: “This doesn’t even make sense; it looks like it made more mess.”

“In the grand scheme of things, specifically the gift of life, I find this to be complete nonsense. I really can’t believe people do this,” another wrote.

Another comment read: “If someone is going to shame me for how I butter my bread I don’t need them in my life.”

Other etiquette experts backed Dr Lee's video, saying that he was right that you need to break the bread into small pieces in terms of following "proper" etiquette.

Meanwhile, a number of users expressed their gratitude for the tip, saying that they will be using the tip at their next gathering.

One person wrote: “Why are people hating so much? He’s showing what other people do, and it’s great information.”

“I don’t know why people are hating. Sure it’s odd but it’s still interesting to watch,” another added.

A third quipped: “Wow, that’s classy.”

What are your thoughts on this little-known etiquette manner? Do you think it's necessary?

Sponsored
I still do this when eating out or eating a roll at home...my mother taught me after WW 11 when butter was expensive and hard to get, better not waste it, only butter what you are going to eat. Buttering bread for a sandwich is a whole different story...load the knife with soft butter, one or maybe 2 swipes across the bread I could butter 1/2 a loaf while my colleagues in the tuck shop were on slice 2.

Reactions: Ashmenou and Ricci
While Mr Lee demonstrates what is correct in table etiquette (and yes it is correct)in the day to day living of most people, this is not practical. I agree that if you are in a situation of 'fine dining' at an extremely posh restaurant or function, then this is considered good etiquette. But seriously, at home or at the pub, no this is not correct unless you suffer delusions of grandeur.

It's the way my Mum taught me.....butter the bit you are about to eat.....when I started going to functions like weddings. Etiquette, good manners, being polite etc.
And you had to break your roll or scone or bread, not cut it with a knife.
And your butter (and jam) went onto the side of your bread & butter plate, not directly onto your food.
When eating your soup, you dipped your spoon into the back of the bowl, not at the front.

Video demonstrating how to butter your bread CORRECTLY stirs fierce debate online — “This doesn’t even make sense!”

We're sure most of us here at SDC have not given this everyday task much thought. But, did you know that if you butter a piece of bread by slathering in the butter in a piece that you want to eat, then you're actually doing it wrong?

We know you’re double-taking at this one, folks. An etiquette expert has indeed revealed that buttering your piece of bread this way is actually not the correct way of doing it.

Dr Clinton Lee has taken to TikTok to reveal the correct manner of how to butter a piece of bread.

In his latest video, he explained how the usual butter-slathering technique is an improper table manner.

He explains: “Many people will take the entire piece of bread and butter it on their plate.”

While he recognised that the method is "practical" for most people, the certified dining master demonstrated how you should spread butter on your bread.

According to Mr Lee, the first thing you need to do to butter your bread is to place the butter onto your plate.

“You break the bread into small, mouth-sized pieces, butter it and there you go. Perfect.”

ijwX4xLVIqPymJlzmAz4IwrdFenAAV3baM44KI2GTj4xFTsO6UXftSAt6RV9NbsK64hsXkgkRiI-MmzLw83m8VaiT6YxJw_21Fvz9xa0bf541GD73SttXBJRcpAkoKUbH2uuif0
fGLrJGE9z1K8UgDMr9LVukaycRbgHExUv2QZHqckaOamq0e2EVut5gmcDr-ATANTJis_hDOKk5-jlKiTlrLpJhLIpmzwCGJ5_YJ0uOqYVTCtVkr5a0V-VG9N_kfmJpEdLVfHIio

The etiquette expert said that you should break the bread into small pieces instead of slathering a butter on it. Credit: TikTok/@apwasiwine.

The video went viral, amassing more than 4.4 million views and over 4,500 comments from TikTok users who have mixed reactions to the clip.

A number of users pointed out that the expression "breaking bread" originated from the Bible, where it was used to describe the act of sharing meals with others.

Many users expressed how horrible they felt about themselves, describing themselves as "monsters" and "barbaric" for not knowing the basic table manners for such a minuscule task.

However, others refused to believe this claim, describing that the extra steps were "unnecessary".

One person wrote: “This doesn’t even make sense; it looks like it made more mess.”

“In the grand scheme of things, specifically the gift of life, I find this to be complete nonsense. I really can’t believe people do this,” another wrote.

Another comment read: “If someone is going to shame me for how I butter my bread I don’t need them in my life.”

Other etiquette experts backed Dr Lee's video, saying that he was right that you need to break the bread into small pieces in terms of following "proper" etiquette.

Meanwhile, a number of users expressed their gratitude for the tip, saying that they will be using the tip at their next gathering.

One person wrote: “Why are people hating so much? He’s showing what other people do, and it’s great information.”

“I don’t know why people are hating. Sure it’s odd but it’s still interesting to watch,” another added.

What are your thoughts on this little-known etiquette manner? Do you think it's necessary?

I was taught that this rule applies to bread rolls with lunch or dinner but not to breakfast toast. Hence the expression "open slather"...just kidding about the expression😂

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
It's the way my Mum taught me.....butter the bit you are about to eat.....when I started going to functions like weddings. Etiquette, good manners, being polite etc.
And your butter (and jam) went onto the side of your bread & butter plate, not directly onto your food.
When eating your soup, you dipped your spoon into the back of the bowl, not at the front.
I think our mothers knew each other.

We were taught this way too, never realised it was for etiquette purposes, it was just easier to do as a child. Doesn’t work for toast though, you have to cut the toast into pieces and then butter.

Reactions: Ricci
My Dad was a senior naval officer and I always found officer's mess rules of etiquette very strange. The mess provides toast at breakfast but no side plates. Toast is broken into pieces directly on the polished table! Also all pieces of fruit are peeled and eaten with a knife and fork. There are so many odd things that go on in an officer's mess on land. Mind you, as Dad says, if you were at sea on a ship in bad weather you got a boiled egg and a banana in your hand. If you were lucky!

Whilst as kids we were al taught the "proper" way to do things it was understood that this was for when we were out and about so as not to bring disgrace. When we were at home the most practical way of doing things were adopted. The one rule that sticks in my mind that my Mum was a stickler for was "as the bread goes right to the edge, so should the spread!"

I think this really goes to far.

Given that at most functions I have attended over the years, weddings, dinners, pubs, restaurants etc the butter arrives in little plastic containers rock hard straight out of the frige, then good luck with any sort of buttering. Ricci is right, as my Mum always said butter to the edge when making a sandwich or buttering toast! ;):D

Reactions: Ricci and debjane
I agree. Always do this with jam and cream on scones also.

Whilst as kids we were al taught the "proper" way to do things it was understood that this was for when we were out and about so as not to bring disgrace. When we were at home the most practical way of doing things were adopted. The one rule that sticks in my mind that my Mum was a stickler for was "as the bread goes right to the edge, so should the spread!"
Me too, and I usually remember to do this.