Two police shot dead ‘execution-style’ in horrific ambush; suspects killed in shoot-out: ‘A tragedy on so many levels’

The suspects behind the cold-blooded murder of two police officers and a local of Wieambilla, Queensland, were killed in a Monday evening firefight with authorities.

Nathaniel Train, his brother, and his brother’s partner were shot dead in their remote property on Wains Road at 11:30 in the evening after an hours-long stand-off.

Earlier, Train and his brother shot and killed two of four police officers visiting their property.

It is understood that police were searching for Train, a former school principal, who has at least two traffic offences to his name. He was last seen in Dubbo, NSW in 2021.

Constables Matthew Arnold, 26; Rachel McCrow, 29; and Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk, who are both 28 years old, were shot at as soon as they entered the rural QLD property.

Arnold and McCrow were severely injured in the attack.

The Train brothers are said to have approached the injured policemen as they lay on the ground in pain and shot them execution-style.

Screenshot_1.png
Three suspects, two of which are said to have gunned down injured police officers, were killed in a police operation Monday evening. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

The Trains took the guns from the bodies of Arnold and McCrow and set fire to the police car.

Kirk was shot in the leg but managed to escape, while Brough fled to the surrounding bushland.

The brothers also killed Alan Dare, a neighbour who went in to check the blaze and the sound of gunshots echoing from the property.

While hiding in the scrub, Brough called for backup — and texted her loved ones as reports say she thought she was going to die.

A special response team composed of 16 police officers arrived on the scene and engaged the Trains in a shoot-out.

The gun-wielding Trains along with a third woman were killed.

Kirk and Brough were rescued and are recovering in the hospital.

Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll confirmed the six casualties in a press conference.

Screenshot_6.png
The four police officers were responding to a missing person report when they were shot at. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/9 News Australia

'While we are yet to learn the full extent of what has occurred today, we do know this event is extraordinarily distressing on many levels. I extend my heartfelt condolences to the officers' families, friends and colleagues,' she said.

'Those officers paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep our community safe. I would like to also pay tribute to all police and first responders who assisted at the scene.’

'Tragically, this is the largest loss of life we have suffered in one single incident in recent times.

'I know the days and weeks ahead will be particularly difficult for families and the police family. We are an organisation in mourning tonight and at the appropriate time we will honour the sacrifice these officers have made for us.'

'Our priority right now is to ensure those responsible are brought to justice and that family, friends and colleagues of the officers involved are being supported as much as possible.'

Queensland Police Union President Ian Leavers also lamented the deaths of Arnold and McCrow.

McCrow had been on active duty since June 2021, while Arnold joined in 2020.

'These officers' tragic, needless and senseless murders have already been felt deeply across Queensland and all over Australia,' Leavers said.

'Our thoughts are also with police who bravely contained and managed the subsequent operation that has now resulted in the deaths of all the offenders.'

Screenshot_7.png
Queensland Police Commissioner Carroll paid tribute to Arnold and McCrow, who were recent additions to the police force. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

'We are all in a state of shock and disbelief. To be here tonight and know that two brave police both under the age of 30 have needlessly lost their lives affects all our emotions.

'To know that she and he are no longer with us in what was a ruthless, calculated and targeted execution of our colleagues and loved ones brings home the very real risks that we face every single day doing our jobs.'

In a separate interview, Leavers said the slain police officers ‘hadn’t even lived life yet’.

'If you see a police officer today, say “G'day”, say “Thank you for your service” because that may very well ease the pain just that little bit because it is a real challenging job but you never know what we're going to turn up to.’

'You can go to work and you may never come home.’

Carroll said counsellors are in touch with the families of Arnold and McCrow.

Arnold’s father is said to be inconsolable.

Locals have also reportedly placed flowers at the local police station in honour of the two officers killed in action.

On Twitter, PM Anthony Albanese said: ‘My condolences to all those who are grieving tonight - Australia mourns with you.’
Key Takeaways

• Two police officers, Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow, were shot dead execution-style while on a remote bush property in Wieambilla, Queensland, Australia.
  • The men responsible for the murders, Nathaniel Train and his brother, were later shot dead by police. A third officer was shot in the leg, while the fourth escaped into the adjoining bushland.
  • A neighbor, Alan Dare, was also killed in the shooting.
  • The surviving officers have been identified as Constables Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk.
  • Officials mourned the loss of Arnold and McCrow, who are both relatively recent additions to the QLD police force.
And Queensland Police Minister Mark Ryan added: ‘Again the hearts of Queenslanders break.’

‘This is a tragedy on so many levels.’

We join Australia in mourning the lives lost in this unfortunate incident.

What is your reaction to this news?

Share your thoughts below.

Source: YouTube/ABC Australia

Sponsored
The suspects behind the cold-blooded murder of two police officers and a local of Wieambilla, Queensland, were killed in a Monday evening firefight with authorities.

Nathaniel Train, his brother, and his brother’s partner were shot dead in their remote property on Wains Road at 11:30 in the evening after an hours-long stand-off.

Earlier, Train and his brother shot and killed two of four police officers visiting their property.

It is understood that police were searching for Train, a former school principal, who has at least two traffic offences to his name. He was last seen in Dubbo, NSW in 2021.

Constables Matthew Arnold, 26; Rachel McCrow, 29; and Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk, who are both 28 years old, were shot at as soon as they entered the rural QLD property.

The Train brothers are said to have approached the injured policemen as they lay on the ground in pain and shot them execution-style.

View attachment 10390
Three suspects, two of which are said to have gunned down injured police officers, were killed in a police operation Monday evening. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

The Trains took the guns from the bodies of Arnold and McCrow and set fire to the police car.

Kirk was shot in the leg but managed to escape, while Brough fled to the surrounding bushland.

The brothers also killed Alan Dare, a neighbour who went in to check the blaze and the sound of gunshots echoing from the property.

While hiding in the scrub, Brough called for backup — and texted her loved ones as reports say she thought she was going to die.

A special response team composed of 16 police officers arrived on the scene and engaged the Trains in a shoot-out.

Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll confirmed the six casualties in a press conference.

View attachment 10391
The four police officers were responding to a missing person report when they were shot at. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/9 News Australia

'While we are yet to learn the full extent of what has occurred today, we do know this event is extraordinarily distressing on many levels. I extend my heartfelt condolences to the officers' families, friends and colleagues,' she said.

'Those officers paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep our community safe. I would like to also pay tribute to all police and first responders who assisted at the scene.’

'Tragically, this is the largest loss of life we have suffered in one single incident in recent times.

'I know the days and weeks ahead will be particularly difficult for families and the police family. We are an organisation in mourning tonight and at the appropriate time we will honour the sacrifice these officers have made for us.'

'Our priority right now is to ensure those responsible are brought to justice and that family, friends and colleagues of the officers involved are being supported as much as possible.'

Queensland Police Union President Ian Leavers also lamented the deaths of Arnold and McCrow.

McCrow, in particular, had only been on active duty for two months. Arnold joined in 2020.

'These officers' tragic, needless and senseless murders have already been felt deeply across Queensland and all over Australia,' Leavers said.

'Our thoughts are also with police who bravely contained and managed the subsequent operation that has now resulted in the deaths of all the offenders.'

View attachment 10392
Queensland Police Commissioner Carroll paid tribute to Arnold and McCrow, who were recent additions to the police force. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

'We are all in a state of shock and disbelief. To be here tonight and know that two brave police both under the age of 30 have needlessly lost their lives affects all our emotions.

'To know that she and he are no longer with us in what was a ruthless, calculated and targeted execution of our colleagues and loved ones brings home the very real risks that we face every single day doing our jobs.'

In a separate interview, Leavers said the slain police officers ‘hadn’t even lived life yet’.

'If you see a police officer today, say “G'day”, say “Thank you for your service” because that may very well ease the pain just that little bit because it is a real challenging job but you never know what we're going to turn up to.’

Locals have also reportedly placed flowers at the local police station in honour of the two officers killed in action.

On Twitter, PM Anthony Albanese said: ‘My condolences to all those who are grieving tonight - Australia mourns with you.’
Key Takeaways

• Two police officers, Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow, were shot dead execution-style while on a remote bush property in Wieambilla, Queensland, Australia.
  • The men responsible for the murders, Nathaniel Train and his brother, were later shot dead by police. A third officer was shot in the leg, while the fourth escaped into the adjoining bushland.
  • The surviving officers have been identified as Constables Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk.
  • Officials mourned the loss of Arnold and McCrow, who are both relatively recent additions to the QLD police force.
And Queensland Police Minister Mark Ryan added: ‘Again the hearts of Queenslanders break.’

This article frightens the life out of me as my 30 year daughter is a member of WAPOL. They never know what they are going to be confronted with when called to an incident and that is the most daunting thing. A few months ago I had 2 police officers knock at my door and immediately I jumped to the worst conclusion. Thankfully, they were only checking up on a 000 call they had received from a mobile phone from a person with the same name as myself . They were checking on all with that name. I cannot tell you how relieved I was to know that the door knock was not related to. my daughter.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the Constables and the poor man who went to help. This should never have happened. This is Australia, not the USA.

View attachment 10390

View attachment 10391

McCrow, in particular, had only been on active duty for two months. Arnold joined in 2020.

View attachment 10392

Key Takeaways

Makes me sick in the stomach! Animals, that’s what they are. My heart goes out to the families and police community.

It is disgusting as the police as a whole are protecting us, they give their lives every day facing very dangerous and viscous people without any thought to themselves. My heart goes out to all the members of the police force and their respective families.

It is so sad to loose two young people and the neighbour in such harrowing circumstances.

I feel so sad for all these brave people. Such a waste of life

Horrific, unwarranted, violent and savage attack.
This behaviour might be ferocious and brute-like and barbarian, may be like wild animals, but these perpetrators are not animals.
Animals don't stalk their own and kill them, perhaps for "fun" or "sport".
Special thoughts and hugs to the grieving families spread far and wide.
Words do not adequately convey the sense of loss they are experiencing.

View attachment 10390

View attachment 10391

View attachment 10392

Key Takeaways

Good, if you can't hang them, then shoot the bastards.

I was so shocked to hear about the shooting of the police who are there to help and protect us in time of need, it is a senseless killing of police and the innocent man who came to look at what was going on. It should never had happened. Just heartbroken for the families and friends as well as the Police force,

View attachment 10390

View attachment 10391

View attachment 10392

Key Takeaways

There is only one good thing to come out of this... the offenders, including the female murderer, are dead. I hope they suffered greatly as they died, as the families and workmates of the Police murdered and wounded are now suffering. Now we don't have to pay the cost of keeping these scumbags in a luxury prison for the rest of their miserable lives. Nor will we have to listen to some lawyer defending their actions. No matter what their grievances were, they can't have any reason to murder in cold blood these particular Police. To shoot the wounded Police as they lay bleeding is a good indication of their awful character.
God help the former students of this 'schoolteacher'. Imagine what they will have been taught.

There is only one good thing to come out of this... the offenders, including the female murderer, are dead. I hope they suffered greatly as they died, as the families and workmates of the Police murdered and wounded are now suffering. Now we don't have to pay the cost of keeping these scumbags in a luxury prison for the rest of their miserable lives. Nor will we have to listen to some lawyer defending their actions. No matter what their grievances were, they can't have any reason to murder in cold blood these particular Police. To shoot the wounded Police as they lay bleeding is a good indication of their awful character.
God help the former students of this 'schoolteacher'. Imagine what they will have been taught.
Well said

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
A very sad day for the police family and also for the nation.

My daughter finished her bachelor of police and her graduation is tomorrow.
I seriously did not want her joining the force for this very reason.

My heart breaks for their relatives and loved ones, their colleges and community.
I pray for them to have the strength to get through this horrible time.

Now...why in the hell did this man who was an ex school principal and his brother kill these innocent people in cold blood.

It's scary to think that a principal who was entrusted with our children could go abd do something so evil

My heart breaks for the families having to deal with this tragedy. To lose a loved one is a harrowing time, but at this time of year especially horrific. These youngsters must have been quite happy with their postings (nothing bad happens in the bush, right?) They had hopes and dreams, they had mapped out a career path for themselves, they loved and had been loved in return.
May they Rest In Peace.
Thank You for your service and sacrifice.:cry:😪😪

A very sad day for the police family and also for the nation.

My daughter finished her bachelor of police and her graduation is tomorrow.
I seriously did not want her joining the force for this very reason.

My heart breaks for their relatives and loved ones, their colleges and community.
I pray for them to have the strength to get through this horrible time.

Now...why in the hell did this man who was an ex school principal and his brother kill these innocent people in cold blood.

It's scary to think that a principal who was entrusted with our children could go abd do something so evil
That is what I think we all want to know why? What was their purpose? They were intent on murdering police no matter who they were. To shoot and wound and then go up to the young police and short them again close up to be sure they killed them is beyond most people's comprehension. I wonder will the ones who escaped will choose to stay in the police force. I know I would be terrified. It is the unexpected, not the expected for the brave police officers to try and prevent crimes that seem to be escalating rapidly in the past few years in Australia.

• Sad
Reactions: 888D.C888 and Ricci
My heart breaks for the families having to deal with this tragedy. To lose a loved one is a harrowing time, but at this time of year especially horrific. These youngsters must have been quite happy with their postings (nothing bad happens in the bush, right?) They had hopes and dreams, they had mapped out a career path for themselves, they loved and had been loved in return.
May they Rest In Peace.
Thank You for your service and sacrifice.:cry:😪😪
😥

Reactions: Linwar and Ricci

View attachment 10390

View attachment 10391

View attachment 10392

Key Takeaways

Tragic for the officers families but what about the neighbour who also died. We should remember his bravery in responding to the unknown danger presumably to help if he could. Not much has been attributed to his bravery and the grief felt by his family at his loss. 🥲