Two police shot dead ‘execution-style’ in horrific ambush; suspects killed in shoot-out: ‘A tragedy on so many levels’

The suspects behind the cold-blooded murder of two police officers and a local of Wieambilla, Queensland, were killed in a Monday evening firefight with authorities.

Nathaniel Train, his brother, and his brother’s partner were shot dead in their remote property on Wains Road at 11:30 in the evening after an hours-long stand-off.

Earlier, Train and his brother shot and killed two of four police officers visiting their property.

It is understood that police were searching for Train, a former school principal, who has at least two traffic offences to his name. He was last seen in Dubbo, NSW in 2021.

Constables Matthew Arnold, 26; Rachel McCrow, 29; and Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk, who are both 28 years old, were shot at as soon as they entered the rural QLD property.

Arnold and McCrow were severely injured in the attack.

The Train brothers are said to have approached the injured policemen as they lay on the ground in pain and shot them execution-style.

Screenshot_1.png
Three suspects, two of which are said to have gunned down injured police officers, were killed in a police operation Monday evening. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

The Trains took the guns from the bodies of Arnold and McCrow and set fire to the police car.

Kirk was shot in the leg but managed to escape, while Brough fled to the surrounding bushland.

The brothers also killed Alan Dare, a neighbour who went in to check the blaze and the sound of gunshots echoing from the property.

While hiding in the scrub, Brough called for backup — and texted her loved ones as reports say she thought she was going to die.

A special response team composed of 16 police officers arrived on the scene and engaged the Trains in a shoot-out.

The gun-wielding Trains along with a third woman were killed.

Kirk and Brough were rescued and are recovering in the hospital.

Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll confirmed the six casualties in a press conference.

Screenshot_6.png
The four police officers were responding to a missing person report when they were shot at. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/9 News Australia

'While we are yet to learn the full extent of what has occurred today, we do know this event is extraordinarily distressing on many levels. I extend my heartfelt condolences to the officers' families, friends and colleagues,' she said.

'Those officers paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep our community safe. I would like to also pay tribute to all police and first responders who assisted at the scene.’

'Tragically, this is the largest loss of life we have suffered in one single incident in recent times.

'I know the days and weeks ahead will be particularly difficult for families and the police family. We are an organisation in mourning tonight and at the appropriate time we will honour the sacrifice these officers have made for us.'

'Our priority right now is to ensure those responsible are brought to justice and that family, friends and colleagues of the officers involved are being supported as much as possible.'

Queensland Police Union President Ian Leavers also lamented the deaths of Arnold and McCrow.

McCrow had been on active duty since June 2021, while Arnold joined in 2020.

'These officers' tragic, needless and senseless murders have already been felt deeply across Queensland and all over Australia,' Leavers said.

'Our thoughts are also with police who bravely contained and managed the subsequent operation that has now resulted in the deaths of all the offenders.'

Screenshot_7.png
Queensland Police Commissioner Carroll paid tribute to Arnold and McCrow, who were recent additions to the police force. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

'We are all in a state of shock and disbelief. To be here tonight and know that two brave police both under the age of 30 have needlessly lost their lives affects all our emotions.

'To know that she and he are no longer with us in what was a ruthless, calculated and targeted execution of our colleagues and loved ones brings home the very real risks that we face every single day doing our jobs.'

In a separate interview, Leavers said the slain police officers ‘hadn’t even lived life yet’.

'If you see a police officer today, say “G'day”, say “Thank you for your service” because that may very well ease the pain just that little bit because it is a real challenging job but you never know what we're going to turn up to.’

'You can go to work and you may never come home.’

Carroll said counsellors are in touch with the families of Arnold and McCrow.

Arnold’s father is said to be inconsolable.

Locals have also reportedly placed flowers at the local police station in honour of the two officers killed in action.

On Twitter, PM Anthony Albanese said: ‘My condolences to all those who are grieving tonight - Australia mourns with you.’
Key Takeaways

• Two police officers, Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow, were shot dead execution-style while on a remote bush property in Wieambilla, Queensland, Australia.
  • The men responsible for the murders, Nathaniel Train and his brother, were later shot dead by police. A third officer was shot in the leg, while the fourth escaped into the adjoining bushland.
  • A neighbor, Alan Dare, was also killed in the shooting.
  • The surviving officers have been identified as Constables Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk.
  • Officials mourned the loss of Arnold and McCrow, who are both relatively recent additions to the QLD police force.
And Queensland Police Minister Mark Ryan added: ‘Again the hearts of Queenslanders break.’

‘This is a tragedy on so many levels.’

We join Australia in mourning the lives lost in this unfortunate incident.

What is your reaction to this news?

Share your thoughts below.

Source: YouTube/ABC Australia

Sponsored
The suspects behind the cold-blooded murder of two police officers and a local of Wieambilla, Queensland, were killed in a Monday evening firefight with authorities.

Nathaniel Train, his brother, and his brother’s partner were shot dead in their remote property on Wains Road at 11:30 in the evening after an hours-long stand-off.

Earlier, Train and his brother shot and killed two of four police officers visiting their property.

It is understood that police were searching for Train, a former school principal, who has at least two traffic offences to his name. He was last seen in Dubbo, NSW in 2021.

Constables Matthew Arnold, 26; Rachel McCrow, 29; and Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk, who are both 28 years old, were shot at as soon as they entered the rural QLD property.

The Train brothers are said to have approached the injured policemen as they lay on the ground in pain and shot them execution-style.

View attachment 10390
Three suspects, two of which are said to have gunned down injured police officers, were killed in a police operation Monday evening. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

The Trains took the guns from the bodies of Arnold and McCrow and set fire to the police car.

Kirk was shot in the leg but managed to escape, while Brough fled to the surrounding bushland.

The brothers also killed Alan Dare, a neighbour who went in to check the blaze and the sound of gunshots echoing from the property.

While hiding in the scrub, Brough called for backup — and texted her loved ones as reports say she thought she was going to die.

A special response team composed of 16 police officers arrived on the scene and engaged the Trains in a shoot-out.

Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll confirmed the six casualties in a press conference.

View attachment 10391
The four police officers were responding to a missing person report when they were shot at. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/9 News Australia

'While we are yet to learn the full extent of what has occurred today, we do know this event is extraordinarily distressing on many levels. I extend my heartfelt condolences to the officers' families, friends and colleagues,' she said.

'Those officers paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep our community safe. I would like to also pay tribute to all police and first responders who assisted at the scene.’

'Tragically, this is the largest loss of life we have suffered in one single incident in recent times.

'I know the days and weeks ahead will be particularly difficult for families and the police family. We are an organisation in mourning tonight and at the appropriate time we will honour the sacrifice these officers have made for us.'

'Our priority right now is to ensure those responsible are brought to justice and that family, friends and colleagues of the officers involved are being supported as much as possible.'

Queensland Police Union President Ian Leavers also lamented the deaths of Arnold and McCrow.

McCrow, in particular, had only been on active duty for two months. Arnold joined in 2020.

'These officers' tragic, needless and senseless murders have already been felt deeply across Queensland and all over Australia,' Leavers said.

'Our thoughts are also with police who bravely contained and managed the subsequent operation that has now resulted in the deaths of all the offenders.'

View attachment 10392
Queensland Police Commissioner Carroll paid tribute to Arnold and McCrow, who were recent additions to the police force. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/ABC Australia

'We are all in a state of shock and disbelief. To be here tonight and know that two brave police both under the age of 30 have needlessly lost their lives affects all our emotions.

'To know that she and he are no longer with us in what was a ruthless, calculated and targeted execution of our colleagues and loved ones brings home the very real risks that we face every single day doing our jobs.'

In a separate interview, Leavers said the slain police officers ‘hadn’t even lived life yet’.

'If you see a police officer today, say “G'day”, say “Thank you for your service” because that may very well ease the pain just that little bit because it is a real challenging job but you never know what we're going to turn up to.’

Locals have also reportedly placed flowers at the local police station in honour of the two officers killed in action.

On Twitter, PM Anthony Albanese said: ‘My condolences to all those who are grieving tonight - Australia mourns with you.’
Key Takeaways

• Two police officers, Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow, were shot dead execution-style while on a remote bush property in Wieambilla, Queensland, Australia.
  • The men responsible for the murders, Nathaniel Train and his brother, were later shot dead by police. A third officer was shot in the leg, while the fourth escaped into the adjoining bushland.
  • The surviving officers have been identified as Constables Keeley Brough and Randall Kirk.
  • Officials mourned the loss of Arnold and McCrow, who are both relatively recent additions to the QLD police force.
And Queensland Police Minister Mark Ryan added: ‘Again the hearts of Queenslanders break.’

My heart goes out to those families on this very tragic day. Even though not related to them I have been teary all day. My daughter had 2 deployments to the Middle East Confict in 20019 & 2020 and I was always fearful of a RAAF personnel coming to my door with bad news.I cannot imagine the grief these families are going through at this festive time of year.

There is only one good thing to come out of this... the offenders, including the female murderer, are dead. I hope they suffered greatly as they died, as the families and workmates of the Police murdered and wounded are now suffering. Now we don't have to pay the cost of keeping these scumbags in a luxury prison for the rest of their miserable lives. Nor will we have to listen to some lawyer defending their actions. No matter what their grievances were, they can't have any reason to murder in cold blood these particular Police. To shoot the wounded Police as they lay bleeding is a good indication of their awful character.
God help the former students of this 'schoolteacher'. Imagine what they will have been taught.
It goes to show how deceptive these "teachers" are and what they have taught students in the confinement of a classroom.

• Sad
Reactions: 888D.C888
Tragic for the officers families but what about the neighbour who also died. We should remember his bravery in responding to the unknown danger presumably to help if he could. Not much has been attributed to his bravery and the grief felt by his family at his loss. 🥲
Country people are like that, they will always turn up to help.

Reactions: Cher and 888D.C888

View attachment 10390

View attachment 10391

View attachment 10392

Key Takeaways

I have sent the following to the Prime Minister and Cabinet Department and the Queensland Premier and Cabinet Department -

The recent tragedy in Central Queensland shows the dangers of the media monopoly by what Murdoch himself admits is not news, but entertainment. In the past we, including myself, have put the conspiracy theorists, religo-nut jobs and fascist down as "inbred" idiots, uneducated wankers and general losers. But this lot ... and I do not mention their names, because the names of the police who died in the line of duty should be remembered, not their murderers ... WERE EDUCATED! Two of them had achieved at least Diploma of Education level! They were teachers!! What has influenced these murderers to take the lives of young police officers going about the most community friendly duty of policing, a welfare check, is the constant bombardment of mental harassment by Murdoch and his fellow billionaires through their "news" media outlets. These are the people stoking conspiracy theories and dissatisfaction with our community and within our society.

The mentally unstable or irresponsible "journalists" dribble rubbish so that Murdoch, Stokes and Costello can increase their already immense wealth. But it is EVERYTHING that we would have called "brainwashing" back in the 1960s and 1970s. When Captain Crane (David Hedison) of the SSRN Seaview shot his mentor and friend Admiral Nelson (Richard Basehart) in "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" 12 year-old Maurice was HORRIFIED!!! Captain Crane had committed this murder because he had been captured by Chinese spies and brainwashed. Shortly after, with a bit of library research and asking a slightly amused science teacher about the possibility of such a thing, I was relieved to learn that you cannot kidnap someone over a long weekend and condition them to murder someone.

But that was just a long weekend! You can condition people who have normal empathy and social conscience to commit acts of atrocity if you have access to them for long enough. I know teachers, I have two of them in my family and I had lived with one for over six years. That we broke up is my failing not hers. I have many friends who are teachers. They are empathic and people with a high level of social justice. Teachers do not go into that profession for the money. You have to have a fire in your belly about educating young people to get through teacher training. Yet the constant bombardment by the trash news polluting our information sphere managed to turn TWO of these people ... one who had risen to principal of a school, into murderers!!! This cannot be blamed on mental disease or just a bad person. TWO people educated to at least diploma level took firearms to police officers who were threatening in no way except they were wearing uniforms. They then went on to execute two of the fallen officers AND set fire to the grass in which a third office was hiding in an attempt to driver her out into their guns!!! I know of some psychotic criminals that might do that, but I know of NO teachers that would.

Murdoch, Stokes and Costello need to answer for their actions. Or even lack of action in not taking the dregs of humanity off air. One of the mongrels even had to lay down a career of sexual assault at Christmas parties and the like ... blaming drunkenness of course ... Here is some advice Chris, if you can't handle it, DON'T DRINK! ... One of the not fit to advise ANYONE mongrels had to commit two consecutive acts before Sky News terminated his contract!

We need an urgent inquiry into media monopoly AND whether the current media licensed people are fit to hold such licenses. The media (should) have a high moral and ethical standard. At least as high as our legal system practitioners (should) have. They have such a high level of influence that nothing less is acceptable.

Murdoch does not and has never shown morals or ethics. Even his son Jamie could not accept the low standards shown by his father and brother.

• Wow
Reactions: Linwar
In situations like this we should do as NZ does. NOT use the names of the perpetrators in any media coverage or social media postings. It gives them validation.

Reactions: Macarj

View attachment 10390

View attachment 10391

View attachment 10392

Key Takeaways

So sad may they RIP

Tragic for the officers families but what about the neighbour who also died. We should remember his bravery in responding to the unknown danger presumably to help if he could. Not much has been attributed to his bravery and the grief felt by his family at his loss. 🥲
Totally agree Lynjw that man is a hero as much as the young police he went over to assist a neighbor in distress and has also lost his life for it.

Please don't refer to this scum as animals as animals only kill for food, not for fun.

Reactions: RobD
I feel for every one involved The Police The Neighbour and all the families
The police wear so much around there waist which weighs them down how about bulletproof vests
for all police officers in all states and around the world
No one deserved this May all Rest In Peace

"Untermensch"....subhuman.
Actually Rob, they aren't sub human they are humans who got caught up in the many conspiracies on social media and they took it too far. This is the danger that happens with the medically uneducated believe the garbage on social media about vaccinations and other conspiracies. All on social media who share the rubbish that these idiots shared and believed, should be held accountable and do jail time. This is an extreme end to 3 years of conspiracies circulating on fb and other places online re all things covid, government, police, vaccinations, authority figures etc.

I have sent the following to the Prime Minister and Cabinet Department and the Queensland Premier and Cabinet Department -

The recent tragedy in Central Queensland shows the dangers of the media monopoly by what Murdoch himself admits is not news, but entertainment. In the past we, including myself, have put the conspiracy theorists, religo-nut jobs and fascist down as "inbred" idiots, uneducated wankers and general losers. But this lot ... and I do not mention their names, because the names of the police who died in the line of duty should be remembered, not their murderers ... WERE EDUCATED! Two of them had achieved at least Diploma of Education level! They were teachers!! What has influenced these murderers to take the lives of young police officers going about the most community friendly duty of policing, a welfare check, is the constant bombardment of mental harassment by Murdoch and his fellow billionaires through their "news" media outlets. These are the people stoking conspiracy theories and dissatisfaction with our community and within our society.

The mentally unstable or irresponsible "journalists" dribble rubbish so that Murdoch, Stokes and Costello can increase their already immense wealth. But it is EVERYTHING that we would have called "brainwashing" back in the 1960s and 1970s. When Captain Crane (David Hedison) of the SSRN Seaview shot his mentor and friend Admiral Nelson (Richard Basehart) in "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" 12 year-old Maurice was HORRIFIED!!! Captain Crane had committed this murder because he had been captured by Chinese spies and brainwashed. Shortly after, with a bit of library research and asking a slightly amused science teacher about the possibility of such a thing, I was relieved to learn that you cannot kidnap someone over a long weekend and condition them to murder someone.

But that was just a long weekend! You can condition people who have normal empathy and social conscience to commit acts of atrocity if you have access to them for long enough. I know teachers, I have two of them in my family and I had lived with one for over six years. That we broke up is my failing not hers. I have many friends who are teachers. They are empathic and people with a high level of social justice. Teachers do not go into that profession for the money. You have to have a fire in your belly about educating young people to get through teacher training. Yet the constant bombardment by the trash news polluting our information sphere managed to turn TWO of these people ... one who had risen to principal of a school, into murderers!!! This cannot be blamed on mental disease or just a bad person. TWO people educated to at least diploma level took firearms to police officers who were threatening in no way except they were wearing uniforms. They then went on to execute two of the fallen officers AND set fire to the grass in which a third office was hiding in an attempt to driver her out into their guns!!! I know of some psychotic criminals that might do that, but I know of NO teachers that would.

Murdoch, Stokes and Costello need to answer for their actions. Or even lack of action in not taking the dregs of humanity off air. One of the mongrels even had to lay down a career of sexual assault at Christmas parties and the like ... blaming drunkenness of course ... Here is some advice Chris, if you can't handle it, DON'T DRINK! ... One of the not fit to advise ANYONE mongrels had to commit two consecutive acts before Sky News terminated his contract!

We need an urgent inquiry into media monopoly AND whether the current media licensed people are fit to hold such licenses. The media (should) have a high moral and ethical standard. At least as high as our legal system practitioners (should) have. They have such a high level of influence that nothing less is acceptable.

Murdoch does not and has never shown morals or ethics. Even his son Jamie could not accept the low standards shown by his father and brother.
Do you seriously not know what influenced these idiots to act in this manner? Really? They were completely influenced by the lies and misinformation on social media re all things starting with anti vax, covid denying, govt hating, all politicians are pedos, police are not to be trusted, all authority is to be rejected and fought hard against etc. I know people who believe everything these idiots believed and moved homes to secluded country areas with like minded conspiracy theorists because they believe that vaccinations are primarily to "cull" the population and that govts will restrict landowners from growing their food on their own properties, amongst other more diabolical ideas. The beginning of this rot is in social media and needs to be rooted out and destroyed. If you see or hear someone on social media promoting these ideals, report them to the federal police or whoever is in charge of incitement issues within Australia. Forget blaming the media. Blame the people who believed this nonsense, educated or not. They are to blame for allowing themselves to become so full of fear and distrust in the first instance. It all started at the beginning of covid and more conspiracies have been added to the main ones over the past 2/3 years, some more diabolical than the others. When sharers of erroneous and dangerous information that could possibly incite violence, are held legally accountable, then we may see a lessening of these pervading conspiracies. Will there ever be a time that people will not go to social media for important information on serious issues?

Wouldn't it have been better though that they went to jail and suffered for years rather than be shot dead and not held accountable?
The cost to us through our taxes, for housing, clothing and feeding these sub-humans would be in the millions. The cost of a few rounds of ammunition is a few dollars. Summary execution is justice served. Is what they deserved.

The cost to us through our taxes, for housing, clothing and feeding these sub-humans would be in the millions. The cost of a few rounds of ammunition is a few dollars. Summary execution is justice served. Is what they deserved.
On one level I agree with you but why not bring back the death penalty in cases like this where it is clear cut? The fear they would experience leading up to their execution, would be immense. They should have known fear before they died. The same fear that those poor police officers and the neighbour felt before they were murdered. They got out of it easy. Reading their posts on youtube before they died, sounded like suicide bomber talk.

On one level I agree with you but why not bring back the death penalty in cases like this where it is clear cut? The fear they would experience leading up to their execution, would be immense. They should have known fear before they died. The same fear that those poor police officers and the neighbour felt before they were murdered. They got out of it easy. Reading their posts on youtube before they died, sounded like suicide bomber talk.
Politicians tried that and got shot down, in for a penny in for a pound, you take a like you forfeit yours. But just make you get it right, which should be easier with all modern methods we have since Ronald Ryan, which in itself was largely political.