Two minors charged over Woolworths store blaze

The heat of summer is nothing compared to the heat of a raging fire that engulfed a Woolworths store in Adelaide. With shoppers inside, two teenagers allegedly set the store alight on Sunday, October 15.

More than 100 firefighters from the Country Fire Service (CFS) and Metropolitan Fire Service were deployed to battle the blaze, which is believed to have started in one of the aisles of the Mount Barker Road store.

391731182_341337121744902_4182816208744651803_n.jpg
A Woolworths store in Stirling Village, Adelaide was set ablaze by two teenage boys. Credit: Allan Payne/Facebook

The Stirling Village shopping centre was promptly evacuated as bystanders heard explosions and large black plumes of smoke rose from the building. No one was injured in the incident.

Two 14-year-old boys—from Heatherfield and Bridgewater—have been charged with arson in relation to the fire. They were bailed to appear in Mount Barker Youth Court on December 14.

The work of firefighters was praised by CFS Executive Director of Operations Cameron Devey: ‘We’re really, really keen on stressing that our firefighters here tonight have done a great job.’

He added: ‘They have saved the adjoining businesses and shops.’

The blaze destroyed the supermarket, damaging other shops and causing $15 million in damages. The fire didn’t reach the other stores, but smoke and water damage are expected in the rest of the complex.

The power in the area was cut while the fire raged on for hours.

391684597_10160401525939300_7830451063182017725_n.jpg
The fire started in one of the aisles of the store. Credit: Chad Habel/Facebook

‘We [are] aware of the disruption that it may cause but it’s necessary as part of the process of putting the fire out,’ Mr Devey explained.

They also advised residents to stay inside their homes and close the doors and windows due to the thick smoke that the fire had generated.

‘The incident is generating a large amount of smoke drifting in an easterly direction, impacting on Mount Barker Rd and surrounding streets,’ the CFS said.

The incident has left many workers in shock, with some saying that the fire started so quickly and unexpectedly that they initially thought the fire alarm was going off due to an accident.

'I tried to turn it off thinking nothing was happening,' said David Holliday, one of the employees.

‘But the front staff were screaming, “This is not a drill, we have to leave now,’” he added.

Another employee told the paper that staff did an 'amazing job' evacuating shoppers from the store.

‘It took hold so quick, it was really scary…People could have been in serious trouble if they didn’t act sooner,’ she stated.

You can watch 9News Australia’s report here:

Key Takeaways
  • Two 14-year-old boys have been arrested and charged with arson after allegedly starting a fire in a Woolworths supermarket in Adelaide, resulting in over $15 million in damages.
  • Over 100 firefighters were required to control the blaze, which completely destroyed the supermarket and caused damage to surrounding shops.
  • No injuries were reported, and the quick evacuation efforts by staff were praised as preventing potential serious harm.
  • Residents are being advised to remain indoors and to close their windows and doors as thick smoke continues to blanket Stirling and surrounding areas.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
At 14 years of age, you understand what you are doing. They should be made to clean the site up, no matter how long it takes.
And pay for ALL damages and the loss of trade....that will teach them a thing or two.

Are Sprinklers still installed in these premises anymore or are Smoke Alarms the only requirement now?

I doubt very much the parents will be required to pay any restitution & because of their age their names will be masked.

Judges are restricted by the Law as to what penalties can be applied but, due to their age, they may be able to apply a penalty for confinement in a Minor's Institution to be transferred to an Adult Prison when they become of age.
I would have thought they'd be above the ceiling tiles, but there hasn't been any mention of them.

Shame the law restricts what they can do with these little idiots.:confused:

Reactions: Ezzy
Thankyou for taking time to expand on your statement. None of these were a part of my lifestyle growing up & sorry to say, l adapt slowly to change. You are correct in what you have stated.
Unlike some people, I tend to bring the cold hard facts with me and leave emotional stuff on the doorstep. That stuff tends to cloud one's judgement.

Reliance on facts and evidence carries immensely more weight than belief and faith.

Reactions: AlanQ and DLHM
The heat of summer is nothing compared to the heat of a raging fire that engulfed a Woolworths store in Adelaide. With shoppers inside, two teenagers allegedly set the store alight on Sunday, October 15.

More than 100 firefighters from the Country Fire Service (CFS) and Metropolitan Fire Service were deployed to battle the blaze, which is believed to have started in one of the aisles of the Mount Barker Road store.

View attachment 32294
A Woolworths store in Stirling Village, Adelaide was set ablaze by two teenage boys. Credit: Allan Payne/Facebook

The Stirling Village shopping centre was promptly evacuated as bystanders heard explosions and large black plumes of smoke rose from the building. No one was injured in the incident.

Two 14-year-old boys—from Heatherfield and Bridgewater—have been charged with arson in relation to the fire. They were bailed to appear in Mount Barker Youth Court on December 14.

The work of firefighters was praised by CFS Executive Director of Operations Cameron Devey: ‘We’re really, really keen on stressing that our firefighters here tonight have done a great job.’

The blaze destroyed the supermarket, damaging other shops and causing $15 million in damages. The fire didn’t reach the other stores, but smoke and water damage are expected in the rest of the complex.

View attachment 32293

‘We [are] aware of the disruption that it may cause but it’s necessary as part of the process of putting the fire out,’ Mr Devey explained.

They also advised residents to stay inside their homes and close the doors and windows due to the thick smoke that the fire had generated.

‘The incident is generating a large amount of smoke drifting in an easterly direction, impacting on Mount Barker Rd and surrounding streets,’ the CFS said.

The incident has left many workers in shock, with some saying that the fire started so quickly and unexpectedly that they initially thought the fire alarm was going off due to an accident.

'I tried to turn it off thinking nothing was happening,' said David Holliday, one of the employees.

‘But the front staff were screaming, “This is not a drill, we have to leave now,’” he added.

Another employee told the paper that staff did an 'amazing job' evacuating shoppers from the store.

‘It took hold so quick, it was really scary…People could have been in serious trouble if they didn’t act sooner,’ she stated.

Key Takeaways

• Two 14-year-old boys have been arrested and charged with arson after allegedly starting a fire in a Woolworths supermarket in Adelaide, resulting in over $15 million in damages.
  • Over 100 firefighters were required to control the blaze, which completely destroyed the supermarket and caused damage to surrounding shops.
  • No injuries were reported, and the quick evacuation efforts by staff were praised as preventing potential serious harm.
  • Residents are being advised to remain indoors and to close their windows and doors as thick smoke continues to blanket Stirling and surrounding areas.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

And they will get a slap on the wrist and go their merry way 😡😡😡😡😡

Those kids should be named and shamed, they are criminals, and also name and shame the so called parents, all they will get is a slap on the wrist, those people could have been burnt to death, this is a serious crim, these kids should be made to clear up the place and the parents made to pay for all the damage and the wages for the people that work there, even if it means selling their house etc, and put those kids away for a long time.

Reactions: Lizzylou
I am sick of reading comments about you don’t know what is going on with their home lives. Well I for one don’t believe it has anything to do with their home life but all to do with having no respect for anyone or anything. A lady who lives in my area had her car windows smashed by a bunch of teenagers,the reason was a TikTok challenge which they had to film. Funny how they can’t be held responsible because of their ages but they can tell you their rights. They go to a shopping centre in my town and torment and abuse security staff and say ‘you can’t touch me’. They pick on the elderly and have put at least one man in hospital. Their excuse was they were bored. I am so angry and disgusted at the total disrespect of these kids. The police say their hands are tied,I say untie them and give these kids some punishment.

My issue is that they are allowed to be bailed, which means they are not on house arrest and can still go about freely to do what they want, I don't like the idea of children being locked up, however in this case it might give them a taste of what is to come because I would say most of us reading this will think if they are like that at 14 what the hell are they going to be like at 18, 24, 30 etc... Obviously we don't know what their parents if they have one or both are like, they could be hard working parent/s who are appalled at what their children have done. Or sadly they could be the kind of parents that don't give a damn about their kids or anyone else but themselves. I do however hope that they don't just get a slap on the wrist. If they do I hope that the company can go after them through civil action.

I am sick of reading comments about you don’t know what is going on with their home lives. Well I for one don’t believe it has anything to do with their home life but all to do with having no respect for anyone or anything. A lady who lives in my area had her car windows smashed by a bunch of teenagers,the reason was a TikTok challenge which they had to film. Funny how they can’t be held responsible because of their ages but they can tell you their rights. They go to a shopping centre in my town and torment and abuse security staff and say ‘you can’t touch me’. They pick on the elderly and have put at least one man in hospital. Their excuse was they were bored. I am so angry and disgusted at the total disrespect of these kids. The police say their hands are tied,I say untie them and give these kids some punishment.
Thank you for verifying one of my previous posts. 👍

My issue is that they are allowed to be bailed, which means they are not on house arrest and can still go about freely to do what they want, I don't like the idea of children being locked up, however in this case it might give them a taste of what is to come because I would say most of us reading this will think if they are like that at 14 what the hell are they going to be like at 18, 24, 30 etc... Obviously we don't know what their parents if they have one or both are like, they could be hard working parent/s who are appalled at what their children have done. Or sadly they could be the kind of parents that don't give a damn about their kids or anyone else but themselves. I do however hope that they don't just get a slap on the wrist. If they do I hope that the company can go after them through civil action.
That's more a responsibility that the parents of these 2 need to take on.

I’d love to know a bit about the parents of all the brats these days, are they too busy working to know what their kids are up to, can’t control the kids or just don’t care ????
A multitude of reasons. Substance abuse, unemployment = financial disadvantage, preoccupation with all things immoral and/or illegal and much more.

Reactions: DLHM

View attachment 32294

View attachment 32293

Key Takeaways

14 years old wow I hope their parents are proud. And they are out and about to do other dispiccable crimes. Unbelievable. I’m so glad my children grew up to be decent human beings.

View attachment 32294

View attachment 32293

Key Takeaways

Oh yes,
Political correctness will nudge its way in. Don't go beyond saying naughty, naughty. The little darlings need TLC.
Unfortunately that is the case today. There will most likely be no more than hand slap.
If there is no repercussion, this will happen again. I hope not here, but we see it far too often.
I agree with the parents being part of the fix, but would much rather see these kids get their hands dirty and serve within the community, or, because the risk to lives, detention.
This could have been a terrible disaster.
Actions must have consequences.

View attachment 32294

View attachment 32293

Key Takeaways

No bail for idiots like these! As usual, their solicitor will say they have mental issues (Doh!) or that they’ve had a traumatic upbringing! Let’s hope that FINALLY they get what they deserve!