Two minors charged over Woolworths store blaze

The heat of summer is nothing compared to the heat of a raging fire that engulfed a Woolworths store in Adelaide. With shoppers inside, two teenagers allegedly set the store alight on Sunday, October 15.

More than 100 firefighters from the Country Fire Service (CFS) and Metropolitan Fire Service were deployed to battle the blaze, which is believed to have started in one of the aisles of the Mount Barker Road store.

391731182_341337121744902_4182816208744651803_n.jpg
A Woolworths store in Stirling Village, Adelaide was set ablaze by two teenage boys. Credit: Allan Payne/Facebook

The Stirling Village shopping centre was promptly evacuated as bystanders heard explosions and large black plumes of smoke rose from the building. No one was injured in the incident.

Two 14-year-old boys—from Heatherfield and Bridgewater—have been charged with arson in relation to the fire. They were bailed to appear in Mount Barker Youth Court on December 14.

The work of firefighters was praised by CFS Executive Director of Operations Cameron Devey: ‘We’re really, really keen on stressing that our firefighters here tonight have done a great job.’

He added: ‘They have saved the adjoining businesses and shops.’

The blaze destroyed the supermarket, damaging other shops and causing $15 million in damages. The fire didn’t reach the other stores, but smoke and water damage are expected in the rest of the complex.

The power in the area was cut while the fire raged on for hours.

391684597_10160401525939300_7830451063182017725_n.jpg
The fire started in one of the aisles of the store. Credit: Chad Habel/Facebook

‘We [are] aware of the disruption that it may cause but it’s necessary as part of the process of putting the fire out,’ Mr Devey explained.

They also advised residents to stay inside their homes and close the doors and windows due to the thick smoke that the fire had generated.

‘The incident is generating a large amount of smoke drifting in an easterly direction, impacting on Mount Barker Rd and surrounding streets,’ the CFS said.

The incident has left many workers in shock, with some saying that the fire started so quickly and unexpectedly that they initially thought the fire alarm was going off due to an accident.

'I tried to turn it off thinking nothing was happening,' said David Holliday, one of the employees.

‘But the front staff were screaming, “This is not a drill, we have to leave now,’” he added.

Another employee told the paper that staff did an 'amazing job' evacuating shoppers from the store.

‘It took hold so quick, it was really scary…People could have been in serious trouble if they didn’t act sooner,’ she stated.

You can watch 9News Australia’s report here:

Key Takeaways
  • Two 14-year-old boys have been arrested and charged with arson after allegedly starting a fire in a Woolworths supermarket in Adelaide, resulting in over $15 million in damages.
  • Over 100 firefighters were required to control the blaze, which completely destroyed the supermarket and caused damage to surrounding shops.
  • No injuries were reported, and the quick evacuation efforts by staff were praised as preventing potential serious harm.
  • Residents are being advised to remain indoors and to close their windows and doors as thick smoke continues to blanket Stirling and surrounding areas.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Keeping the name of minors charged with serious offences suppressed is a crock. The torture and murder of James Bolger in the UK by Robert Thompson and Jon Venables was publicised when they were 10 years of age. Nathaniel Brazill was aged 13 when his shot his schoolteacher in Florida, USA. So why not disclose the names of serious young offenders in Australia? Beats me!

The heat of summer is nothing compared to the heat of a raging fire that engulfed a Woolworths store in Adelaide. With shoppers inside, two teenagers allegedly set the store alight on Sunday, October 15.

More than 100 firefighters from the Country Fire Service (CFS) and Metropolitan Fire Service were deployed to battle the blaze, which is believed to have started in one of the aisles of the Mount Barker Road store.

View attachment 32294
A Woolworths store in Stirling Village, Adelaide was set ablaze by two teenage boys. Credit: Allan Payne/Facebook

The Stirling Village shopping centre was promptly evacuated as bystanders heard explosions and large black plumes of smoke rose from the building. No one was injured in the incident.

Two 14-year-old boys—from Heatherfield and Bridgewater—have been charged with arson in relation to the fire. They were bailed to appear in Mount Barker Youth Court on December 14.

The work of firefighters was praised by CFS Executive Director of Operations Cameron Devey: ‘We’re really, really keen on stressing that our firefighters here tonight have done a great job.’

The blaze destroyed the supermarket, damaging other shops and causing $15 million in damages. The fire didn’t reach the other stores, but smoke and water damage are expected in the rest of the complex.

View attachment 32293

‘We [are] aware of the disruption that it may cause but it’s necessary as part of the process of putting the fire out,’ Mr Devey explained.

They also advised residents to stay inside their homes and close the doors and windows due to the thick smoke that the fire had generated.

‘The incident is generating a large amount of smoke drifting in an easterly direction, impacting on Mount Barker Rd and surrounding streets,’ the CFS said.

The incident has left many workers in shock, with some saying that the fire started so quickly and unexpectedly that they initially thought the fire alarm was going off due to an accident.

'I tried to turn it off thinking nothing was happening,' said David Holliday, one of the employees.

‘But the front staff were screaming, “This is not a drill, we have to leave now,’” he added.

Another employee told the paper that staff did an 'amazing job' evacuating shoppers from the store.

‘It took hold so quick, it was really scary…People could have been in serious trouble if they didn’t act sooner,’ she stated.

Key Takeaways

• Two 14-year-old boys have been arrested and charged with arson after allegedly starting a fire in a Woolworths supermarket in Adelaide, resulting in over $15 million in damages.
  • Over 100 firefighters were required to control the blaze, which completely destroyed the supermarket and caused damage to surrounding shops.
  • No injuries were reported, and the quick evacuation efforts by staff were praised as preventing potential serious harm.
  • Residents are being advised to remain indoors and to close their windows and doors as thick smoke continues to blanket Stirling and surrounding areas.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Those two 14 year old boys, who caused $15M in damage, were charged and RELEASED? Not good enough, another case of Judges being too lenient. It doesn't matter how old they were, they should have had the book thrown at them, lives were put at risk and the damage done was incredible, they knew what they were doing.

Firstly, why didn't the supermarket have automatic sprinklers?

Looks like they need to lock these things away to stop idiotic children playing with them. If they're so bored why don't they go and run around in a park and play on the swings?

Looks like the parents will have to pay some compensation on their stupid kids behalf.
The Supermarket DID have automatic sprinklers.

The fire spread too quickly.

At around age 14 young men of the tribe used to go through an initiation ceremony after which they were counted as men with adult responsibilities. And if they breached those responsibilities they were not treated kindly. That still happens in some parts of the world.

The Royal Navy used to employ Midshipmen who would sign on at an age between 12 and 14 with the responsibilities of officers over grown, experienced seamen. It probably couldn't work these days in a modern navy but it points to the fact that this modern notion of diminished responsibility is a nonsense.
Hear Hear!

I heard on the Channel 9 News that the damage bill was around $25M, and that the two 14 year old boys were igniting the spray from aerosol cans, which rapidly got way out of control. Too quick for automated sprinklers etc.

Reactions: Tervueren
Come on.... to hell with the backlash... makes life worth living....
I'll bite the bullet. OK another couple of reasons.

1. Intergenerational influences - children born into poorer families general have a greater incidence of poverty, unstable home life, unemployment and trouble with the law, especially later in life. When they witness their parents undertake a dubious activity, they are normalised into thinking "it's the right thing to do", whether it be violence (domestic or otherwise), substance abuse or petty crime.

2. Influx of immigrants and refugees - coming from a country where war, famine and a heavy handed government are evident, there is a reluctance of these people to conform with the rules and regulations of this country. A prime example of this is the prevalence of African gangs in Australia's major cities. There is little regard for authority which is brought along with them from their country of origin. This stems mainly where the government, through its military and paramilitary forces, exert overt and excessive pressure upon its residents.

The above has been summarised from a few assignments I have written during the course of my current studies.

Have I ruffled any feathers with the plain truth?

There was a fire which destroyed the Bestway Supermarket in the main street of Dandenong in June this year. Suspicious if you ask me. How many businesses are torched just before the end of the financial year. :unsure:
Relevance??

The personal upset to shop personnel at Woolworths and nearby premises affected by the monstrous blaze should be allayed by the Government paying their wages from the State Emergency Fund (Fines Collected) until business as usual resumes in the Stirling main Street.

Throw the book at them I say. Charge the parents as well, it is time parents were held accountable for their kids. Make them and their parents pay for the whole cost of their stupidity, the bill for putting out the fire and the damage to the supermarket. If it takes them the rest of their lives it will be a lesson well learnt for the parents and kids. No doubt there will be people who will claim to be mentally affected by what happened, let them sue these idiots for compensation and make them pay that too. Guarantee if judges grew some and started holding these idiots to account and it became public knowledge a lot of the current crime would stop. Time to stop pandering to these criminals.

Firstly, why didn't the supermarket have automatic sprinklers?

Looks like they need to lock these things away to stop idiotic children playing with them. If they're so bored why don't they go and run around in a park and play on the swings?

Looks like the parents will have to pay some compensation on their stupid kids behalf.
Are Sprinklers still installed in these premises anymore or are Smoke Alarms the only requirement now?

I doubt very much the parents will be required to pay any restitution & because of their age their names will be masked.

Judges are restricted by the Law as to what penalties can be applied but, due to their age, they may be able to apply a penalty for confinement in a Minor's Institution to be transferred to an Adult Prison when they become of age.

Last edited:
Would you please qualify that statement?
Social media outlets, such as Tik Tok, Instagram, etc. serve as a carriage for people to display certain acts or events to gain approval. Where these acts display illegal activities, like violence, performing burnouts and school brawls, appeal to those who are impressionable and attempt to emulate or outdo these acts. In other words, it becomes a competition to gain approval in the form of views or "likes" from like minded individuals or groups.

With visual media, acts of gratuitous violence and other dubious activities are thought to be acceptable by those of a certain mindset. Again, young minds are led into thinking that this behaviour is normal and acceptable and attempt to reenact such scenes, again to gain approval from their peers.

I hope this expands on my initial comment.

1. Intergenerational influences - children born into poorer families general have a greater incidence of poverty, unstable home life, unemployment and trouble with the law, especially later in life. When they witness their parents undertake a dubious activity, they are normalised into thinking "it's the right thing to do", whether it be violence (domestic or otherwise), substance abuse or petty crime.

2. Influx of immigrants and refugees - coming from a country where war, famine and a heavy handed government are evident, there is a reluctance of these people to conform with the rules and regulations of this country. A prime example of this is the prevalence of African gangs in Australia's major cities. There is little regard for authority which is brought along with them from their country of origin. This stems mainly where the government, through its military and paramilitary forces, exert overt and excessive pressure upon its residents.

The above has been summarised from a few assignments I have written during the course of my current studies.

Facts always create a bit of a flurry...I agree with you 110%.......

View attachment 32294

View attachment 32293

Key Takeaways

At 14 years of age, you understand what you are doing. They should be made to clean the site up, no matter how long it takes.

Social media outlets, such as Tik Tok, Instagram, etc. serve as a carriage for people to display certain acts or events to gain approval. Where these acts display illegal activities, like violence, performing burnouts and school brawls, appeal to those who are impressionable and attempt to emulate or outdo these acts. In other words, it becomes a competition to gain approval in the form of views or "likes" from like minded individuals or groups.

With visual media, acts of gratuitous violence and other dubious activities are thought to be acceptable by those of a certain mindset. Again, young minds are led into thinking that this behaviour is normal and acceptable and attempt to reenact such scenes, again to gain approval from their peers.

I hope this expands on my initial comment.
Thankyou for taking time to expand on your statement. None of these were a part of my lifestyle growing up & sorry to say, l adapt slowly to change. You are correct in what you have stated.

I like your style. Too many people make judgements before the whole story is told. In no way do I condone what criminals do. Perhaps understanding the reasons for people to commit crime could go a long way in prevention.

Reactions: Veggiepatch