Trusted family friend turns into a brutal attacker—‘I had no idea what’s going on’

Disclaimer: This article contains discussions and depictions of violence against an elderly individual, which may be unsettling for some. Reader discretion is advised.

When people think of their golden years, they often imagine a time of peace, surrounded by the comfort of their homes and the familiarity of long-standing friendships.

However, for an 81-year-old widow from Surry Hills, this image was shattered in a terrifying ordeal that has left her calling for justice and safety.

Margot Priday's sense of security was violently upended when Sam Einfeld, a 44-year-old former Waverley councillor and lawyer, and a former family friend she had known since his infancy, became her assailant.

The harrowing incident unfolded when Sam, in a fit of rage, rammed his car into Margot's garage door until it gave way, allowing him to trespass onto her property.

compressed-shutterstock_1099612427.jpeg
Margot Priday was attacked by Sam Einfeld, a former family friend, who rammed his car into her house. Credits: Shutterstock

The terror that gripped Margot as she saw Sam storm through her back courtyard, screaming, was only the beginning of her nightmare.

Despite her attempts to escape, Sam caught up with her.

‘He said, “Oh no you don't”... he grabbed me by the arm and pushed me very roughly to the ground,’ Margot narrated.

Sam pushed her to the ground with such force that her smartwatch detected the fall and automatically dialled triple-0.

A video captured on a mobile phone depicted the immediate aftermath following Sam's forcible entry into her residence in April 2022.

Sam was audible shouting ‘I see you’ and ‘how dare you’ as he entered her residence, eliciting screams from Margot.

‘I had no idea what was going on… He didn't stop shouting,’ she recounted.

The assault that followed was brutal. Sam kicked Margot repeatedly as she lay on the floor, trying to shield herself from the blows.

According to court documents, the attack only ceased when the sound of police sirens pierced the air, prompting Sam to flee the scene.

Left behind was Margot, bloodied and bruised, with a fractured finger and cuts and bruising to her arms and legs.

The aftermath of the attack saw Sam arrested and charged.

He was taken to Surry Hills police station, where the court documents stated that authorities observed that he was ‘affected by drugs’.

The journey to justice has been fraught with concern for Margot and her daughter Polly, who has also been a victim of Sam's violence.

Despite his guilty plea to aggravated breaking and entering to commit a serious indictable offence, as well as two separate counts of common assault against the two, Sam was granted bail to seek treatment at a residential rehabilitation centre after eight months in custody.

The decision to release Einfeld was met with fear and disbelief by the Priday family.

'All I want is him in jail, I don't want him anywhere near me… I don't want to lay eyes on him ever again,' Margot stated, her voice echoing the vulnerability and distress that no senior should ever have to endure.

The attack left Margot with PTSD, forcing her to abandon her Surry Hills home in search of safety.

Sam's past as a promising graduate and young local government representative stands in stark contrast to the man who now faces the consequences of his actions.

His familial ties to a former Federal Court Judge, who was also imprisoned, added a layer of complexity to a story that shocked the community.

Before the assault on Margot, Sam was residing with his elderly mother—a longtime friend of Margot—who suffers from dementia.

Court documents indicated that on the day of the attack, Sam’s mum requested Margot's assistance after a disagreement with her son.

Subsequently, Polly drove Mrs Einfeld to another family member's residence.

During their journey, Mrs Einfeld received a phone call from her husband, Sam’s father.

As per court documents, his father expressed concerns about Sam's behaviour, stating that he had been ‘making threats’ to ‘drive his car into Margot's house’, prompting Polly to hurry back but arrived shortly after the ambulance crews.

‘It's shocking, it's unforgivable… he acted with complete disregard for human life,’ Polly said.

‘To attack an elderly widow in her own home, completely unprovoked, is just unfathomable… it's deplorable.’

‘Every day, the thing that plays on my mind is what would have happened if the police hadn't come when they did, and whether she'd even be here,’ she added.

As Sam's sentencing hearing drew near, Polly and Margot expressed their concern, stating that they would not feel secure if he were permitted to stay in the community.

‘We still have no idea what the motive was so we're terrified that he will concoct some other reason to do it again,’ Polly asserted.

‘We felt a lot more comfortable when he was in jail.’

‘Seven-and-a-half months in jail and just over a year in rehab seems a bit light for a person that broke into an elderly woman's home and attacked her for no reason,’ she continued.

An attorney representing Sam chose not to provide a comment. He is scheduled to receive his sentence on June 27th.

The assault on Margot Priday shocked the community, highlighting the vulnerability of elderly individuals to acts of violence.

Unfortunately, this incident is not isolated, as similar cases of violence against seniors have been reported across different regions.

In Beckenham, a local resident went on a rampage aboard a bus, assaulting an elderly man and two women.

Similarly, an elderly woman was left in critical condition after a horrific attack in a hospital, while in another distressing incident, a police officer used a taser and pepper spray on an elderly man.

Additionally, an elderly couple experienced a harrowing ordeal when they were held hostage in their own home.

These incidents underscore the urgent need for society to address the safety and well-being of senior citizens, ensuring they are protected from harm and violence.
Key Takeaways
  • Margot Priday, an 81-year-old widow, was attacked in her home by a former family friend, Sam Einfeld, who stormed into her property after ramming his car into her garage door.
  • Einfeld, after assaulting Margot and leaving her with physical injuries and psychological trauma, was arrested and charged with multiple offences, including the assault on Margot.
  • The victim and her family expressed fear for their safety and called for Einfeld’s imprisonment, stating that they felt more comfortable with him behind bars and concerned about his potential for future attacks.
  • Einfeld has been granted bail to seek treatment at a rehabilitation centre and has pleaded guilty to the charges, with his sentencing hearing scheduled for June 27.
Have you or someone you know faced similar threats? How do you believe our justice system should respond to such acts of violence against seniors? Share your experiences and suggestions in the comments below.

Sponsored
“These incidents underscore the urgent need for society to address (“the responsibility of the judiciary to impose APPROPRIATE sentencing!!) to address the safety and well-being of senior citizens, ensuring they are protected from harm and violence.”😡

‘Seven-and-a-half months in jail and just over a year in rehab' .. is this ample time to wean off drugs?
It's all down to the individual, so we can't be sure. Especially for poor Margot getting the brunt of his drug fueled rage - what a no-hoper loser.

Not the first time a friend or relative of a drug affected person has had this experience. The first place they take out their frustration and anger, usually close to home. My advice is distance yourselves from anyone who is using drugs and don't let them into your space.

The judiciary are all exempt from responsibility for their actions.

This should be changed.

If a judge lets a violent criminal back into society then they should be accountable for any subsequent violent offences that criminal commits.

If judges knew that they could be sued for damages resulting from their bad judgement, then they would be far less eager to give bail or community service orders to repeat offenders and drug affected thugs.

Do the crime do the time, end of story. It appears the excuse these days is "Oh he/she has a mental problem" so we can't put them in jail. They are put in a mental hospital for a while and then let out to do it all again, in some cases. The system is all wrong when the perpetrator gets off free and the attacked person lives in fear for the rest of their life.

I'm sick and tired of assailants using the excuse of drugs to get a light sentence!
Illicit drugs are exactly that - ILLICIT! Just as illegal as the crimes they commit.
and they have testing stations for drugs that are illicit unless you go to a concert.

Well being a Senior citizen myself, I feel that this man should be sentenced to jail. He has attacked a elderly lady in her own home without saying why. I myself would be like her, scared and afraid that he could harm her again. The system is broke when you don't protect the innocent.

Police do their job well only to be let down by the judiciary who give light sentences..disgusting!
Not at bad policing is the reason of this issue if police and authoritys where doing there job there would be no ilegal drugs And non of this drug indueced viloence