Travel trouble: Measles scare in Aussie state after overseas trip highlights vaccination gaps

In an age when international travel has become more accessible than ever, the risk of global disease transmission is a pressing concern, particularly for those who have not been fully vaccinated.

This has been highlighted by an urgent health advisory issued following the diagnosis of a serious infectious disease in a young child who recently returned from overseas travel.

The situation underscores the critical role of public health measures in preventing the spread of contagious illnesses within the community.

Health authorities sounded the alarm after a recent health scare in Adelaide, where a one-year-old boy was diagnosed with measles after returning from an overseas trip with his family.

The boy—now in stable condition—and his family arrived in Sydney from Dubai on flight EK416 on June 11 and subsequently travelled to Adelaide on flight QF749.

cdc-bkc-m0iZ4Sk-unsplash.jpg
Health authorities issued an urgent measles alert after a one-year-old Adelaide boy contracted the disease post-overseas travel. Credit: Unsplash

He was at Adelaide Airport on June 11, then went to SA Pathology and the Benson Radiology clinic at Modbury Hospital on June 13.

The boy visited a Salisbury Downs surgery on June 14 and the Women’s and Children’s Hospital on June 15.

According to a statement released by SA Health, ‘SA Health advises anyone who isn’t fully immunised, and particularly those who were in the locations at the times listed below, to be alert for symptoms over the next few weeks and to see a doctor if they become ill.’

SA Health urged anyone who was present at these locations to be alert for measles symptoms over the next few weeks:
  • Women’s and Children’s Hospital Emergency Department, on Saturday, June 15, from 1:45 AM to 3:20 AM
  • Premium Care Medical Practice, Shop 105B Hollywood Plaza, Salisbury Downs, on Wednesday, June 12, from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM and Friday, June 14, from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
  • Benson Radiology, located in Modbury Hospital, on Thursday, June 13, from 2:00 PM to 3:15 PM
  • SA Pathology, located in Modbury Hospital, on Thursday, June 13, from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
  • Adelaide Airport, on Tuesday, June 11, from 11:30 PM to Wednesday, June 12 at 12:30 AM
  • Flight QF749 from Sydney to Adelaide on Tuesday, June 11
  • Flight EK416 Dubai to Sydney, arriving on Tuesday, June 11

The symptoms of measles can include a cough, high fever, runny nose, and a large rash that spreads across the body.

Due to the highly infectious nature of measles, it is crucial for those who are not fully immunised to monitor their health closely and seek medical attention if they exhibit any signs of the disease.

Measles is a disease that once led to major epidemics every two to three years and caused 2.6 million deaths each year before the introduction of the measles vaccine in 1963.

However, complacency can lead to a resurgence, as evidenced by the six recorded cases in South Australia this year, compared to only three last year.

Most cases in Australia are linked to international visitors or returning residents who have not received two doses of the vaccine.

The recent measles diagnosis in Adelaide is not an isolated incident.

Just last month, Melbourne Airport experienced a similar health scare when another case of measles was reported, triggering yet another urgent health alert.

This back-to-back occurrence highlights the persistent threat of measles. It underscores the importance of vigilance and timely medical intervention to prevent the further spread of this highly contagious disease.
Key Takeaways
  • An urgent measles warning was issued after a one-year-old Adelaide boy contracted the disease following overseas travel.
  • Health authorities advised anyone who isn't fully immunised and had visited the listed exposure sites to be alert for symptoms.
  • Measles is a highly contagious disease with symptoms including cough, fever, runny nose, and rash; vaccination is the most effective prevention.
  • This case brings the total recorded measles cases in South Australia to six for the year, with most Australian cases originating from international travel.
Have you or your loved ones been affected by the recent measles warning? Do you have concerns about vaccination? Join the conversation in the comments below and share your experiences and thoughts with our community.

Sponsored
Are there seriously children and adults out there that have not been vaccinated against measles? Really?
Yes there are. Many children are unvaccinated as they have parents who think that their kids don't need it. There are also many adults bc this was not available when we were children. I had measles as a child so got my immunity that way as did many of my generation.

Yes there are. Many children are unvaccinated as they have parents who think that their kids don't need it. There are also many adults bc this was not available when we were children. I had measles as a child so got my immunity that way as did many of my generation.
me too. When my daughter was born I saw to it that she was vaccinated against all known diseases.

Unfortunately, we now have many parents not getting their children vaccinated post COVID, due to being 'vaccinated out'. They feel that they and their children don't need any more vaccinations or they are over the vaccinations, lockdowns and everything else that came with COVID, forgetting that the vaccination for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) is often lifesaving/changing and gives protection and has had the research that COVID vaccinations hasn't. The MMR vaccination is just one of the important vaccinations that we need to ensure is administered to our children and those who haven't had it and haven't had the measles. Be sure to keep up to date with the vaccinations that will provide you with protection from those nasty and crippling diseases such as polio, tetanus, just to name a few as well as any you require for your job.

Seniors would be immune to measles as most would have had it as children. It is highly contagious and usually found in overseas visitors who don’t vaccinate. Most young doctors would not have seen a case. The early symptoms can also include conjunctivitis.

Unfortunately, we now have many parents not getting their children vaccinated post COVID, due to being 'vaccinated out'. They feel that they and their children don't need any more vaccinations or they are over the vaccinations, lockdowns and everything else that came with COVID, forgetting that the vaccination for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) is often lifesaving/changing and gives protection and has had the research that COVID vaccinations hasn't. The MMR vaccination is just one of the important vaccinations that we need to ensure is administered to our children and those who haven't had it and haven't had the measles. Be sure to keep up to date with the vaccinations that will provide you with protection from those nasty and crippling diseases such as polio, tetanus, just to name a few as well as any you require for your job.
Antivaxxers on social media are responsible for people not getting vaccinated. I had my seventh Covid vaccine today. I’m a Gp and also on dialysis at hospital three days a week so am immunosuppressed but I have not had Covid, flu or any respiratory disease in the last five years despite working and being hospitalised a lot. I’ll soon get my shingles and other vaccines. Anti vaxxers just make money out of posting rubbish.

Antivaxxers on social media are responsible for people not getting vaccinated. I had my seventh Covid vaccine today. I’m a Gp and also on dialysis at hospital three days a week so am immunosuppressed but I have not had Covid, flu or any respiratory disease in the last five years despite working and being hospitalised a lot. I’ll soon get my shingles and other vaccines. Anti vaxxers just make money out of posting rubbish.
Sounds like youre paid big pharma shill or someone who has not being paying attention to the stats that PROVE this rubbish is not only ineffective, is NOT a true vaccine and is responsible for many more deaths worldwide that it ever saved which was ZERO! Antivaxxers KNOW the truth about this garbage. If you're a 'Gp' as you claim (probably a BOT!) then you are a danger to society. thoroughly brainwashed it seems.

Speak for yourself! At least I'm not brainwashed by the media and the drug companies! You remind of those idiots (Kerry Chant and Brad Hazzard (who got charged for corruption)) that got on TV every night puking up all these fake numbers about how many covid cases (that were really just flu) there were to scare people into taking the poison vaxes that no one except the corrupt vax manufacturers and scumbags like Fauci ever benefited from. Everyone knows at least one or two people who DIED after taking this muck. BTW... measles and any other disease is not caused by a deficiency of some man-made, for-profit, untested, unproven fake vax (which was manufactured to sell the 'vax' and make the likes of Pfizer (whose record for corruption is unbeaten!) very rich! I survived measles and chicken pox and other childhood diseases without and 'vaccines', the only after effect being total immunity for life.

That's because they have got smart and wise to the corruption of the vax manufacturers and the fact there is a direct correlation between the increase in childhood vaccines and autism!

A one year old boy returning from overseas does not create a medical scare.
Just more scaremongering in an attempt to put more vaccines into our bodies.
Kids in Australia still get measels and will while there are humans walking this earth.
just stop the scaremongering!

Sounds like youre paid big pharma shill or someone who has not being paying attention to the stats that PROVE this rubbish is not only ineffective, is NOT a true vaccine and is responsible for many more deaths worldwide that it ever saved which was ZERO! Antivaxxers KNOW the truth about this garbage. If you're a 'Gp' as you claim (probably a BOT!) then you are a danger to society. thoroughly brainwashed it seems.
Go home! You are definitely drunk or off your tits on illicit drugs.

Nimbin is missing their village idiot!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Rexalott and DLHM
Speak for yourself! At least I'm not brainwashed by the media and the drug companies! You remind of those idiots (Kerry Chant and Brad Hazzard (who got charged for corruption)) that got on TV every night puking up all these fake numbers about how many covid cases (that were really just flu) there were to scare people into taking the poison vaxes that no one except the corrupt vax manufacturers and scumbags like Fauci ever benefited from. Everyone knows at least one or two people who DIED after taking this muck. BTW... measles and any other disease is not caused by a deficiency of some man-made, for-profit, untested, unproven fake vax (which was manufactured to sell the 'vax' and make the likes of Pfizer (whose record for corruption is unbeaten!) very rich! I survived measles and chicken pox and other childhood diseases without and 'vaccines', the only after effect being total immunity for life.
I remember all the fake media photos of earth ministers and politicians getting their so called vaccinations.

Reactions: Rexalott
What utter rubbish.
I know at least 6 people “antivaxers” who have not had one of the poisonous injections and have not had Covid pd or the common cold or flu.
I have had two injections (no more than two and definitely not 7) and I have ever had covid.
My GP doesn’t even do the Covid vaccinations and told me it was up to me if I wanted to visit the chemist and get one!

Reactions: Rexalott
We will never know how many did not die because they were vaccinated