Travel trouble: Measles scare in Aussie state after overseas trip highlights vaccination gaps

In an age when international travel has become more accessible than ever, the risk of global disease transmission is a pressing concern, particularly for those who have not been fully vaccinated.

This has been highlighted by an urgent health advisory issued following the diagnosis of a serious infectious disease in a young child who recently returned from overseas travel.

The situation underscores the critical role of public health measures in preventing the spread of contagious illnesses within the community.

Health authorities sounded the alarm after a recent health scare in Adelaide, where a one-year-old boy was diagnosed with measles after returning from an overseas trip with his family.

The boy—now in stable condition—and his family arrived in Sydney from Dubai on flight EK416 on June 11 and subsequently travelled to Adelaide on flight QF749.

cdc-bkc-m0iZ4Sk-unsplash.jpg
Health authorities issued an urgent measles alert after a one-year-old Adelaide boy contracted the disease post-overseas travel. Credit: Unsplash

He was at Adelaide Airport on June 11, then went to SA Pathology and the Benson Radiology clinic at Modbury Hospital on June 13.

The boy visited a Salisbury Downs surgery on June 14 and the Women’s and Children’s Hospital on June 15.

According to a statement released by SA Health, ‘SA Health advises anyone who isn’t fully immunised, and particularly those who were in the locations at the times listed below, to be alert for symptoms over the next few weeks and to see a doctor if they become ill.’

SA Health urged anyone who was present at these locations to be alert for measles symptoms over the next few weeks:
  • Women’s and Children’s Hospital Emergency Department, on Saturday, June 15, from 1:45 AM to 3:20 AM
  • Premium Care Medical Practice, Shop 105B Hollywood Plaza, Salisbury Downs, on Wednesday, June 12, from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM and Friday, June 14, from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
  • Benson Radiology, located in Modbury Hospital, on Thursday, June 13, from 2:00 PM to 3:15 PM
  • SA Pathology, located in Modbury Hospital, on Thursday, June 13, from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
  • Adelaide Airport, on Tuesday, June 11, from 11:30 PM to Wednesday, June 12 at 12:30 AM
  • Flight QF749 from Sydney to Adelaide on Tuesday, June 11
  • Flight EK416 Dubai to Sydney, arriving on Tuesday, June 11

The symptoms of measles can include a cough, high fever, runny nose, and a large rash that spreads across the body.

Due to the highly infectious nature of measles, it is crucial for those who are not fully immunised to monitor their health closely and seek medical attention if they exhibit any signs of the disease.

Measles is a disease that once led to major epidemics every two to three years and caused 2.6 million deaths each year before the introduction of the measles vaccine in 1963.

However, complacency can lead to a resurgence, as evidenced by the six recorded cases in South Australia this year, compared to only three last year.

Most cases in Australia are linked to international visitors or returning residents who have not received two doses of the vaccine.

The recent measles diagnosis in Adelaide is not an isolated incident.

Just last month, Melbourne Airport experienced a similar health scare when another case of measles was reported, triggering yet another urgent health alert.

This back-to-back occurrence highlights the persistent threat of measles. It underscores the importance of vigilance and timely medical intervention to prevent the further spread of this highly contagious disease.
Key Takeaways
  • An urgent measles warning was issued after a one-year-old Adelaide boy contracted the disease following overseas travel.
  • Health authorities advised anyone who isn't fully immunised and had visited the listed exposure sites to be alert for symptoms.
  • Measles is a highly contagious disease with symptoms including cough, fever, runny nose, and rash; vaccination is the most effective prevention.
  • This case brings the total recorded measles cases in South Australia to six for the year, with most Australian cases originating from international travel.
Have you or your loved ones been affected by the recent measles warning? Do you have concerns about vaccination? Join the conversation in the comments below and share your experiences and thoughts with our community.

Sponsored
Antivaxxers on social media are responsible for people not getting vaccinated. I had my seventh Covid vaccine today. I’m a Gp and also on dialysis at hospital three days a week so am immunosuppressed but I have not had Covid, flu or any respiratory disease in the last five years despite working and being hospitalised a lot. I’ll soon get my shingles and other vaccines. Anti vaxxers just make money out of posting rubbish.
So you will have your Shingles vaccine soon, so don't bank on not getting shingles. I had the vaccine when i was sixty five and still got Shingles four years ago, so take care of yourself.

So you will have your Shingles vaccine soon, so don't bank on not getting shingles. I had the vaccine when i was sixty five and still got Shingles four years ago, so take care of yourself.
I’ve had shingles recently i came out with a rash,blisters itchy on my chest,boobies,belly,thought I had a food allergy but ended up being shingles. Still suffering from neuralgia in my face and neck from it. Honestly I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. And the injections don’t stop it from happening to you,your doctor should tell you that.😊

You have lost all credibility with this post. You are now entering territory of which you have NO idea. Ever heard of disgraced "Doctor" Andrew Wakefield? The clown who concocted this crap back in 1998. He alleged that a component of the triple MMR vaccine, namely a organomercury based preservative, Thimerosal (Ethyl(2-mercaptobenzoato-(2-)-O,S) mercurate(1-) sodium) was responsible. It was been erroneously banned in the mid 2000s from vaccines.

For you information dimwit, I have worked with many hundreds of children, adolescents and adults with autism and associated "disorders" over a 20 year career in disability. There is no greater incidence of autistic related conditions and the administration of childhood vaccines than those who never had the vaccine. Take the American Amish community, for example. The Amish are well known for their disdain for most medical interventions, including childhood vaccines. Guess what? The incidence of autism, et al, is NO greater OR less than the general population.

I could go on for hours citing ADADEMIC studies rather than alternative lifestyle stoner misinformation.
Andrew Wakefield was one of 12 professionals on that paper. He was hardly a renegade working on his own. One other paediatric gastroenterologist managed to sue and get his license back and it all came down to one horrid city little reporter who was employed by the Murdoch media group (of which Jamie was sitting on the board of Merck at the time). Andy Wakefield never told anybody not to vaccinate. he simply said (and you obviously haven’t read it) that maybe we should go back to the shots until we’ve done some further research. He never said don’t vaccinate and he didnt say MMR was causing autism, but by daring to suggest that maybe there could be something wrong and that we should actually look at scientifically he lost his entire career.
I have been unable to find any study that shows the rate of autism in the Amish is the same as the general community. If you have one, I’d be pleased to see it.

I’ve had shingles recently i came out with a rash,blisters itchy on my chest,boobies,belly,thought I had a food allergy but ended up being shingles. Still suffering from neuralgia in my face and neck from it. Honestly I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. And the injections don’t stop it from happening to you,your doctor should tell you that.😊
Nothing is for certain, BUT if you are wise you get the vaccination and hope all will be good. I know I will be getting mine when the time comes. It is a shame people spread garbage and more of a shame others believe it.

Nothing is for certain, BUT if you are wise you get the vaccination and hope all will be good. I know I will be getting mine when the time comes. It is a shame people spread garbage and more of a shame others believe it.
I actually was going to get it but I actually had shingles at the time so now I have to wait 12 months before I can get one. But there are more than are over 100 people on the doctors waiting list. And the gov only supplied the surgery with 30 jabs no more and they don’t know when there getting any more.🙀