Toilet seat up or down? Woman’s unfortunate incident has people’s opinions divided

One woman has ignited a heated debate online when she shared her story of ‘falling down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up.

Sharing her story on Mumsnet, a London-based internet forum, the British mum explained that recently, her husband is getting on her nerves for his ‘rude’ bathroom etiquette.

“I’ve asked him repeatedly to stop urinating with the toilet seat up, as obviously it’s gross and I sit in it,” she wrote.

“He’s a bit of a germaphobe and touching the seat probably gives him the heebie-jeebies but this is not reasonable.”

“He argued to the death yesterday that it was not him that had peed on the seat and he had ‘wiped’ it afterwards. So, he’s now lifting the seat, but not putting it back down!”

The woman continued: “TWICE today, I have fallen down the loo! I'm looking after a little baby, and generally running around bananas and a pee is not a luxury! It's a quick in/out procedure!”

“So I fell down it this morning and shouted,” she added.

“Surely men should put it back down after? Is this equal rights now? He lifts and I close? Sharing is caring?”

28953yAKiJBZiNnCKLrpGPfOCkPUPHXhqo_3FoRQ1-GoiYfDM5prhETKd6wpmbgxsZgkSNn7gqK-JAspLrhtgOO56woGzdbOLjpVskYn8OO7gHmTo87SMLkvzfeVvZGN1dVDpMn0

One woman ‘fell down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up. Credit: iStockphoto.

The woman’s post was met with mixed reactions from fellow members of the forum.

Some people commented that it was her fault for falling in the toilet and getting a wet bottom, saying she should have looked before she sat down.

“How did you not see the seat was up…” wrote one person along with a confused emoji, while another added, “Why does the seat being up make you fall down the toilet? And why don’t you look before you sit down?”

Another person wrote: “It's pretty obvious when it's up... The two minutes that it takes to go into the toilet and do a pee surely doesn't need to be a rush job even with a baby; it's minutes they will be fine.”

Others came to the mum’s defence, saying that they experienced a similar incident before.

“If I’m not wearing my glasses and in a rush, I wouldn’t see a seat that was up. White seat and white porcelain become one,” wrote one woman. “Ex used to do this and it annoyed me!”

Another woman said: “Oh I hate that, it’s usually at night and I haven't bothered putting the light on. You sit down and get a nasty cold shock, falling back farther than you anticipate. I also hate sitting on the lid with a bump when I thought it was up!”

Thankfully, there are other members who suggested bathroom etiquette tips for a more peaceful household.

“The rule in our house is lid closed when you're done, so this wouldn't be a problem. More hygienic for flushing too,” said one person.

Credit: BBC Earth Lab.

What are your thoughts? Are you Team Toilet-Seat-Up or Team Toilet-Seat-Down?

Reactions: Ricci and Lindyloo
Sponsored
Toilet seat up or down? Woman’s unfortunate incident has people’s opinions divided

One woman has ignited a heated debate online when she shared her story of ‘falling down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up.

Sharing her story on Mumsnet, a London-based internet forum, the British mum explained that recently, her husband is getting on her nerves for his ‘rude’ bathroom etiquette.

“I’ve asked him repeatedly to stop urinating with the toilet seat up, as obviously it’s gross and I sit in it,” she wrote.

“He’s a bit of a germaphobe and touching the seat probably gives him the heebie-jeebies but this is not reasonable.”

“He argued to the death yesterday that it was not him that had peed on the seat and he had ‘wiped’ it afterwards. So, he’s now lifting the seat, but not putting it back down!”

The woman continued: “TWICE today, I have fallen down the loo! I'm looking after a little baby, and generally running around bananas and a pee is not a luxury! It's a quick in/out procedure!”

“Surely men should put it back down after? Is this equal rights now? He lifts and I close? Sharing is caring?”

28953yAKiJBZiNnCKLrpGPfOCkPUPHXhqo_3FoRQ1-GoiYfDM5prhETKd6wpmbgxsZgkSNn7gqK-JAspLrhtgOO56woGzdbOLjpVskYn8OO7gHmTo87SMLkvzfeVvZGN1dVDpMn0

One woman ‘fell down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up. Credit: iStockphoto.

Some people commented that it was her fault for falling in the toilet and getting a wet bottom, saying she should have looked before she sat down.

“How did you not see the seat was up…” wrote one person along with a confused emoji, while another added, “Why does the seat being up make you fall down the toilet? And why don’t you look before you sit down?”

Another person wrote: “It's pretty obvious when it's up... The two minutes that it takes to go into the toilet and do a pee surely doesn't need to be a rush job even with a baby; it's minutes they will be fine.”

Others came to the mum’s defence, saying that they experienced a similar incident before.

“If I’m not wearing my glasses and in a rush, I wouldn’t see a seat that was up. White seat and white porcelain become one,” wrote one woman. “Ex used to do this and it annoyed me!”

Another woman said: “Oh I hate that, it’s usually at night and I haven't bothered putting the light on. You sit down and get a nasty cold shock, falling back farther than you anticipate. I also hate sitting on the lid with a bump when I thought it was up!”

Thankfully, there are other members who suggested bathroom etiquette tips for a more peaceful household.

“The rule in our house is lid closed when you're done, so this wouldn't be a problem. More hygienic for flushing too,” said one person.

Definitely seat down, it's untidy if it's left up...but it's mandatory for men to lift the seat up and put it down again and clean the floor if there have been any misses

Definitely seat down, it's untidy if it's left up...but it's mandatory for men to lift the seat up and put it down again and clean the floor if there have been any misses
Just leave it up so I don’t have to touch it at all, that’s the toilet lid, seat part down at all times, men should just use your own toilet please, 😝

Reactions: Ricci and Lindyloo
Just leave it up so I don’t have to touch it at all, that’s the toilet lid, seat part down at all times, men should just use your own toilet please, 😝
Don't you keep your toilet lid clean...if you do it shouldn't be an issue as far as touching it! I do agree men should have their own toilet..of course, they squirt everywhere. :))

Don't you keep your toilet lid clean...if you do it shouldn't be an issue as far as touching it! I do agree men should have their own toilet..of course, they squirt everywhere. :))
Better still if they sit down at all times. My husband is very considerate but my Dad had fixed ideas on the subject. Died at 100yrs last few years was spent cleaning the floor after every use. Men can be disgusting regarding toilet etiquette or lack of it.

Better still if they sit down at all times. My husband is very considerate but my Dad had fixed ideas on the subject. Died at 100yrs last few years was spent cleaning the floor after every use. Men can be disgusting regarding toilet etiquette or lack of it.
You're absolutely right. When dad got old he persisted in standing up to do a wee! Because his willy had shrunk he undershot the runway..you know the rest of the story! :)

Seat down …stops germs coming out …stops bacteria going into the air

I now live alone, so I don't suffer with this dilemma.
When I had to replace my toilet, the new one came with a self-closing seat and lid.
After the daily clean, just a tap of the lid gently puts down the seat and lid. Then I wash my hands.
When I first started going out with my future husband, I became aware he didn't wash his hands after visiting the toilet.
At an opportune moment, I told him about my cousin who had told her to-be husband she wouldn't hold hands with him unless he washed his hands after visiting the toilet.
My guy took the hint, and always washed his hands after that.
We all have to touch our toilet seat.....just wash our hands afterwards.
KEEP seat and lid down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Definitely seat down, lid is a matter of choice. Men do need to sit down at some stage of their ablutions, and am sure if the seat is up when they need to sit, they would think about it. It is also a much tidier look with the seat down. Women are the driver of this, but discussion of this first world problem will always be a thing.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Having recently moved to a new place that has soft closing seats and lids it's seat down for me, otherwise it's too long to wait for it to close if I'm desperate!!

Reactions: Gaena