Toilet seat up or down? Woman’s unfortunate incident has people’s opinions divided

One woman has ignited a heated debate online when she shared her story of ‘falling down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up.

Sharing her story on Mumsnet, a London-based internet forum, the British mum explained that recently, her husband is getting on her nerves for his ‘rude’ bathroom etiquette.

“I’ve asked him repeatedly to stop urinating with the toilet seat up, as obviously it’s gross and I sit in it,” she wrote.

“He’s a bit of a germaphobe and touching the seat probably gives him the heebie-jeebies but this is not reasonable.”

“He argued to the death yesterday that it was not him that had peed on the seat and he had ‘wiped’ it afterwards. So, he’s now lifting the seat, but not putting it back down!”

The woman continued: “TWICE today, I have fallen down the loo! I'm looking after a little baby, and generally running around bananas and a pee is not a luxury! It's a quick in/out procedure!”

“So I fell down it this morning and shouted,” she added.

“Surely men should put it back down after? Is this equal rights now? He lifts and I close? Sharing is caring?”

28953yAKiJBZiNnCKLrpGPfOCkPUPHXhqo_3FoRQ1-GoiYfDM5prhETKd6wpmbgxsZgkSNn7gqK-JAspLrhtgOO56woGzdbOLjpVskYn8OO7gHmTo87SMLkvzfeVvZGN1dVDpMn0

One woman ‘fell down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up. Credit: iStockphoto.

The woman’s post was met with mixed reactions from fellow members of the forum.

Some people commented that it was her fault for falling in the toilet and getting a wet bottom, saying she should have looked before she sat down.

“How did you not see the seat was up…” wrote one person along with a confused emoji, while another added, “Why does the seat being up make you fall down the toilet? And why don’t you look before you sit down?”

Another person wrote: “It's pretty obvious when it's up... The two minutes that it takes to go into the toilet and do a pee surely doesn't need to be a rush job even with a baby; it's minutes they will be fine.”

Others came to the mum’s defence, saying that they experienced a similar incident before.

“If I’m not wearing my glasses and in a rush, I wouldn’t see a seat that was up. White seat and white porcelain become one,” wrote one woman. “Ex used to do this and it annoyed me!”

Another woman said: “Oh I hate that, it’s usually at night and I haven't bothered putting the light on. You sit down and get a nasty cold shock, falling back farther than you anticipate. I also hate sitting on the lid with a bump when I thought it was up!”

Thankfully, there are other members who suggested bathroom etiquette tips for a more peaceful household.

“The rule in our house is lid closed when you're done, so this wouldn't be a problem. More hygienic for flushing too,” said one person.

Credit: BBC Earth Lab.

What are your thoughts? Are you Team Toilet-Seat-Up or Team Toilet-Seat-Down?

Reactions: Ricci and Lindyloo
Sponsored
Ladies do you realise that when you pee some of it sprays up under the seat, you then expect your partner to lift up the seat so he can pee, so personally I think both should wipe the seat after using and put the seat& lid down so as to stop germs 🦠 floating in the air when you flush the toilet 🚽

Reactions: Ricci and Jennylolo
Toilet seat up or down? Woman’s unfortunate incident has people’s opinions divided

One woman has ignited a heated debate online when she shared her story of ‘falling down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up.

Sharing her story on Mumsnet, a London-based internet forum, the British mum explained that recently, her husband is getting on her nerves for his ‘rude’ bathroom etiquette.

“I’ve asked him repeatedly to stop urinating with the toilet seat up, as obviously it’s gross and I sit in it,” she wrote.

“He’s a bit of a germaphobe and touching the seat probably gives him the heebie-jeebies but this is not reasonable.”

“He argued to the death yesterday that it was not him that had peed on the seat and he had ‘wiped’ it afterwards. So, he’s now lifting the seat, but not putting it back down!”

The woman continued: “TWICE today, I have fallen down the loo! I'm looking after a little baby, and generally running around bananas and a pee is not a luxury! It's a quick in/out procedure!”

“Surely men should put it back down after? Is this equal rights now? He lifts and I close? Sharing is caring?”

28953yAKiJBZiNnCKLrpGPfOCkPUPHXhqo_3FoRQ1-GoiYfDM5prhETKd6wpmbgxsZgkSNn7gqK-JAspLrhtgOO56woGzdbOLjpVskYn8OO7gHmTo87SMLkvzfeVvZGN1dVDpMn0

One woman ‘fell down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up. Credit: iStockphoto.

Some people commented that it was her fault for falling in the toilet and getting a wet bottom, saying she should have looked before she sat down.

“How did you not see the seat was up…” wrote one person along with a confused emoji, while another added, “Why does the seat being up make you fall down the toilet? And why don’t you look before you sit down?”

Another person wrote: “It's pretty obvious when it's up... The two minutes that it takes to go into the toilet and do a pee surely doesn't need to be a rush job even with a baby; it's minutes they will be fine.”

Others came to the mum’s defence, saying that they experienced a similar incident before.

“If I’m not wearing my glasses and in a rush, I wouldn’t see a seat that was up. White seat and white porcelain become one,” wrote one woman. “Ex used to do this and it annoyed me!”

Another woman said: “Oh I hate that, it’s usually at night and I haven't bothered putting the light on. You sit down and get a nasty cold shock, falling back farther than you anticipate. I also hate sitting on the lid with a bump when I thought it was up!”

Thankfully, there are other members who suggested bathroom etiquette tips for a more peaceful household.

“The rule in our house is lid closed when you're done, so this wouldn't be a problem. More hygienic for flushing too,” said one person.

Toilets have a lid for a reason. A toilet looks untidy and revolting when the lid is left up!

Reactions: Ricci

If women dont put the seat up for men they should not complain get a life. Inaddition women ie the most do not put down the seat cover WOMEN get a life.

Good health and hygiene practice says the toilet should be closed before flushing to prevent micro spray from flushing spraying out into the room and onto nearby bathroom cabinets of towel racks. For this reason, the toilet should be in its own designated room and not included in the bathroom fixtures.

Toilet lid down. Why? When you press the button all the bacteria flies around and can even attach to your toothbrush. I learnt this on Dr Oz. Besides, it looks better in a bathroom when you see the lid down.

Im the male in our house and always put toilet down after use, I can't stand seat up, that's the way I've been brought up I guess. (y)
Thank you Anthony. It is how you are bought up that teaches you things like this that are appreciated by most women. So Girls, train your boys right from the start with potty / toilet training.

Simple solution most homes now have 2 or more toilets. One for him (to do as he pleases) one for her to close and lift the lid until her hearts content.

Toilet lid down. Why? When you press the button all the bacteria flies around and can even attach to your toothbrush. I learnt this on Dr Oz. Besides, it looks better in a bathroom when you see the lid down.
I would have waited until I finished at the toilet, washed my hands, AND THEN got the toothbrush out !!!!!!

Definitely seat down. When you are raised in the bush with an outside dunny you learn at a young age to close the lid. Watching maggots swimming in the pan is not nice nor is having redbacks there.

I taught my boys from the beginning to always put the seat down after using the toilet, even my husband has done it since they were little.
I have never had any problems but always know if there has been a male stranger in my house when I find the seat up.

Don't you keep your toilet lid clean...if you do it shouldn't be an issue as far as touching it! I do agree men should have their own toilet..of course, they squirt everywhere. :))
Be aware that men also sit down to pee... especially as they age... or eyesight is poor etc :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ricci and Gaena

When you flush it is imperative to have the lid down to stop fumes and germs from flooding the bathroom/toilet area...and beyond. I have seen in public toilets where males have urinated over the seat when it was down...disgusting behavour and very unsanitary. At home, leave the seat down when you are done. It takes no effort whatsoever and is more hygienic. Important to sterilise the seat and lid regularly as well. That said, it's more considerate for females in the house if the lid is left down, not to mention energetically beneficial. Feng Shui etc. Having said that. I taught my boys to pet the lid down but now, as adults, they don't seem to have taken that training into their own homes...well, one at least! I reming him though! : )

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
alright so this is my 2 bobs worth on the subject, when we first met my now husband proudly informed me that he was well house trained in toilet etiquette, however I discovered that he was confused between seat and lid, after also sitting on the lid or nearly falling in because of not switching the light on at night, we sorted that out. However, even though we now have our own bathrooms, I am the one who cleans both of those bathrooms and cleaning his toilet also means constantly cleaning the floor, maybe we should have installed a urinal in his bathroom? This problem will not ever go away ladies and do not get me started on his failure to wash his hands, that is also a never ending problem. Personally I blame the mothers of boys who do not insist on the basics being taught to their sons and not by their fathers either because they also cause a problem, see what I mean, this is never ending and women will be complaining about this subject for eons !!

Lid Down, definitely for Hygiene reasons if nothing else.
I'm immune impaired so very fussy about things like that.

Robert says, a moot point I live alone sometimes it is up and sometimes it is down, I have a sign for visitors,. Return the seat to original position, problem solved

The lid should always be down when flushing especially if the toilet is in the bathroom as germs will end up on toothbrushes etc;

as it has been put "he lifts, she closes" on the reverse coin "she closes he lifts" what's the difference? the seat is not all that heavy is it? but my preference is both seat AND lid closed for next person (could be a surprise there underneath), but seriously though, each close seat AND lid.

I am 73 year old man I live alone are we the seat however I want but in general down with the lid cover down also it looks better