Tired of Folding Laundry? Try This Clever Tip!

At some point in our lives, finding the energy or willpower to do chores can become quite challenging.

But we believe that with the right mindset and an arsenal of savvy life tips, you can turn these years into a time of joy and efficiency.

One such tip has been passed down for generations, and it's all about—wait for it—folding laundry!

What's laundry got to do with making the most of life, you ask? Don't dash off just yet.

compressed-photo-1630329273801-8f629dba0a72.jpeg
Folding laundry helps maintain a tidy and orderly living space while ensuring that clothing remains wrinkle-free and ready to wear. Image by towfiqu999999 from unsplash

This isn't your typical how-to-fold laundry tutorial. Rather, it's an age-old wisdom from the time when automatic washing machines were still a thing of the future.

Who doesn't dread seeing that mountain of laundry on the lounge, feeling like it's silently judging you as you pass by?

Confession time: we’ve all let that pile go untouched for days, secretly hoping there's a magical solution to fold it all perfectly.

But what if there was a simple, almost effortless way to prevent the laundry mountain from ever forming and, with it, the guilt?

Here's a gem of advice shared by Rachael Gavin of 9Honey, whose Nana tipped her off to the ultimate laundry advice.

'I don't remember her exact words, but she mentioned how much easier it is to do the washing if you fold your clothes straight into the basket. So from the day I moved out of home, I have made it a habit to fold each item of clothing as I take it off the clothesline.' she shared.

Yes, it might add a few extra minutes to the task, but it's all about taking it slow and steady.

Isn't it better to bask in the sunshine, fold a little laundry and prevent the dreaded lounge room pile-up in the process?

Gavin learned the importance of this golden rule the hard way.

Due to unexpected strong winds, she had to remove her laundry from the line in a rush and was left with an unfolded mess that stayed in her lounge room for four days!

We've all walked past that growing pile of guilt-ridden laundry and said, 'I'll fold that later.' Maybe we even hoped our partner or family would fold it for us.

But with this nifty trick, later never comes, and the dreaded task of folding is already done before you step back inside.

compressed-photo-1567113463300-102a7eb3cb26.jpeg
Folding laundry can be a therapeutic task for some, providing a sense of accomplishment as clothes are transformed from a jumbled pile into neatly folded stacks, ready to be put away. Image by sweetpagesco from unsplash

This isn't a fool-proof plan—as with most good intentions, real-life circumstances like unexpected weather or uncooperative bedsheets (we know exactly how unruly they can be!) can throw us off track.

'Now I'm working on putting washing away sooner rather than later. Recently, I've been putting towels away the very next time I walk up the stairs, and I tend to put clothes away before I get ready for bed.’ Gavin added.

Gavin loves efficiency and has taken her passion for organising laundry to another level.

She not only folds clothes carefully but also sorts them on the line based on where they should go in the wardrobe and drawers, although she knows that some people might consider this a bit too much.

Key Takeaways
  • Rachael Gavin shares a useful laundry tip she learnt from her Nana—folding clothes straight off the clothesline before putting them in the laundry basket.
  • This tip can save time and help prevent procrastination, despite it adding a few extra minutes to the task of removing clothes from the clothesline.
  • There are exceptions to using this tip, such as in strong winds or impending rain, where it is more important to get the washing in quickly.
  • Gavin also suggests grouping clothing on the line based on where they are stored in the wardrobe, though she acknowledges this might be a step too far for some.

Let's learn from the wisdom of our elders, adopt their tried and tested tips, and make time for enjoyable activities.

With these small changes, you may find you have extra time to savour the sunset from your back porch. Amid the hustle and bustle of life, simple tasks like folding laundry become meditative rituals.

So, let's celebrate simplicity, enjoy our days, and make life easier in any way we can!

Members, have you ever tried folding clothes straight off the clothesline into your laundry basket? If so, what are your thoughts on its effectiveness in preventing a pile-up of unfolded laundry?

Sponsored
At some point in our lives, finding the energy or willpower to do chores can become quite challenging.

But we believe that with the right mindset and an arsenal of savvy life tips, you can turn these years into a time of joy and efficiency.

One such tip has been passed down for generations, and it's all about—wait for it—folding laundry!

What's laundry got to do with making the most of life, you ask? Don't dash off just yet.

View attachment 26053
Folding laundry helps maintain a tidy and orderly living space while ensuring that clothing remains wrinkle-free and ready to wear. Image by towfiqu999999 from unsplash

This isn't your typical how-to-fold laundry tutorial. Rather, it's an age-old wisdom from the time when automatic washing machines were still a thing of the future.

Who doesn't dread seeing that mountain of laundry on the lounge, feeling like it's silently judging you as you pass by?

Confession time: we’ve all let that pile go untouched for days, secretly hoping there's a magical solution to fold it all perfectly.

But what if there was a simple, almost effortless way to prevent the laundry mountain from ever forming and, with it, the guilt?

Here's a gem of advice shared by Rachael Gavin of 9Honey, whose Nana tipped her off to the ultimate laundry advice.

'I don't remember her exact words, but she mentioned how much easier it is to do the washing if you fold your clothes straight into the basket. So from the day I moved out of home, I have made it a habit to fold each item of clothing as I take it off the clothesline.' she shared.

Yes, it might add a few extra minutes to the task, but it's all about taking it slow and steady.

Isn't it better to bask in the sunshine, fold a little laundry and prevent the dreaded lounge room pile-up in the process?

Due to unexpected strong winds, she had to remove her laundry from the line in a rush and was left with an unfolded mess that stayed in her lounge room for four days!

We've all walked past that growing pile of guilt-ridden laundry and said, 'I'll fold that later.' Maybe we even hoped our partner or family would fold it for us.

But with this nifty trick, later never comes, and the dreaded task of folding is already done before you step back inside.

View attachment 26054
Folding laundry can be a therapeutic task for some, providing a sense of accomplishment as clothes are transformed from a jumbled pile into neatly folded stacks, ready to be put away. Image by sweetpagesco from unsplash

This isn't a fool-proof plan—as with most good intentions, real-life circumstances like unexpected weather or uncooperative bedsheets (we know exactly how unruly they can be!) can throw us off track.

'Now I'm working on putting washing away sooner rather than later. Recently, I've been putting towels away the very next time I walk up the stairs, and I tend to put clothes away before I get ready for bed.’ Gavin added.

Gavin loves efficiency and has taken her passion for organising laundry to another level.

She not only folds clothes carefully but also sorts them on the line based on where they should go in the wardrobe and drawers, although she knows that some people might consider this a bit too much.

Key Takeaways

• Rachael Gavin shares a useful laundry tip she learnt from her Nana—folding clothes straight off the clothesline before putting them in the laundry basket.
  • This tip can save time and help prevent procrastination, despite it adding a few extra minutes to the task of removing clothes from the clothesline.
  • There are exceptions to using this tip, such as in strong winds or impending rain, where it is more important to get the washing in quickly.
  • Gavin also suggests grouping clothing on the line based on where they are stored in the wardrobe, though she acknowledges this might be a step too far for some.

Let's learn from the wisdom of our elders, adopt their tried and tested tips, and make time for enjoyable activities.

With these small changes, you may find you have extra time to savour the sunset from your back porch. Amid the hustle and bustle of life, simple tasks like folding laundry become meditative rituals.

So, let's celebrate simplicity, enjoy our days, and make life easier in any way we can!

Members, have you ever tried folding clothes straight off the clothesline into your laundry basket? If so, what are your thoughts on its effectiveness in preventing a pile-up of unfolded laundry?
I do that I fold everything apart from underwear and I hang whatever needs to be put in a wardrobe on hangers. I then take them to the table to sort and put away.

Doesn’t everyone fold their washing straight off the line? Even my son hangs everything as he doesn’t put his clothes outside to dry. His iron is only used rarely, usually by me when I’m visiting.

Not a tip,something I would have thought everyone would do

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

Have been married 53years this October and have always done this , minimises ironing and do not use a dryer

While we are on washing can some-one tell me of a GOOD softener , i think iv tried them all but when it comes to drying myself it feels like im rubbing sand-paper over my body , iv bought the one you make your self ,thats no good , surely there must be something out there that works , oh and it does,nt matter if i use the dryer or the line = for me im thinking of using a hair dryer to dry myself !

That has always been my way of bringing in the laundry too but I have seen younger people doing it the other way and they were not much younger than me many years ago.

In the summer I fold my clothes from clothes line to basket. I find it quicker because the folding is done. Take inside then putting it in piles to be put away. It is nice to spend that extra time to stop and look around you while folding. I find I have steady beaks coming on my fence to see what I'm doing. In winter I use my clothes horses I follow the same routine when folding clothes.gy

Croz maybe u are putting too much soap powder in the washing ,try a little less it might help.

While we are on washing can some-one tell me of a GOOD softener , i think iv tried them all but when it comes to drying myself it feels like im rubbing sand-paper over my body , iv bought the one you make your self ,thats no good , surely there must be something out there that works , oh and it does,nt matter if i use the dryer or the line = for me im thinking of using a hair dryer to dry myself !
I know what you mean! My machine auto doses so can’t reduce amount of detergent so l tend to finish drying towels in dryer while they’re still damp, usually 30 mins on warm. I don’t like hard towels & my poor husband certainly needs softness on his red raw radiation suffering face. Most washing machine manufacturers don’t recommend softeners. When my son was small he used to dance around under the heater after his bath, was an amusing sight so don’t think I’ll try it. 😂😂

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

I have been folding my washing straight off the line for years and also sort it into areas when hanging it up. It beats Ironing any day.

Reactions: judethe obscure

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

I've always done this - unless it's starting to rain. Saves crumpled clothes and I get to stand out in the sunshine and fresh air for a bit longer. Win, win.

My nan always did that and I thought that was the normal thing

I've always done that. I have a rectangle clothes basket and as I take the clothes of the line I fold them straight away.

I go one further, I fold say t shirts first , then shorts, then jumpers, then underwater.
I do this as I then don't need to sort out I take the basket into my sons room and put everything away straight from the basket and keep the ironing in the basket to also iron straight away.
Each person's washing in my house is done separately

My pet hate is clothes baskets lying around over flowing and I have seen this many times at friends houses
How do you fold your underwater? Do they ever dry? If you iron them do they evaporate and completely disappear? mmm! so many questions.

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

I do it all the time ⏲ line to basket to draw simple

I have been folding my washing straight off the li e except for the u dies. My daughter put me onto a brillant idea with hanging t shirts etc and that is to peg them u der the arms so when taking them off the line you only need to fold them in half , give a good shake and fold them up as per normal

View attachment 26053

View attachment 26054

Key Takeaways

My nan always did that and I thought that was the normal thing

I've always done that. I have a rectangle clothes basket and as I take the clothes of the line I fold them straight away.

I go one further, I fold say t shirts first , then shorts, then jumpers, then underwater.
I do this as I then don't need to sort out I take the basket into my sons room and put everything away straight from the basket and keep the ironing in the basket to also iron straight away.
Each person's washing in my house is done separately

My pet hate is clothes baskets lying around over flowing and I have seen this many times at friends houses
that's what I do too- like with like- it's too easy

Reactions: Suzanne rose
My husband hangs out the washing for me, all shirts and tops go on hangers, it is a bit hard to train him into folding the washing at the clothesline, however, I did break him of the habit of going out to the line naked and getting dressed there before we were married. He maintained it cut out the middleman.

I always fold clothes straight off the line into my pile, hubby’s pile and grandson’s pile, straight into grandson’s room for him to put away and I put the rest away. Linen I wash on a different day and fold off line and put away. Rarely have to iron anything. Have taught hubby to fold straight off line on days I work and he puts washing out and gets it in. So much quicker and easier.