This simple photo taken at a supermarket checkout ignited a massive debate—see why it's causing such an uproar!

A single photograph can evoke nostalgia, stir emotions, and even spark a heated debate, as evidenced by a recent online uproar among Australians.

The image in question, a throwback to a Coles supermarket in the 1980s in Belmont, New South Wales, has become the centre of a contentious discussion about the changing face of grocery shopping and customer service.

The photo, shared in a Facebook group dedicated to Australian retail nostalgia, captured a time when full-service checkouts were the norm, with rows of cashiers attending to customers' needs.

It was sourced from the State Library of Victoria and dated sometime between 1980 and 1989, showing a bustling grocery scene with each register operated by a neatly dressed cashier—a sight that has become increasingly rare in today's supermarkets.

FL16519494.jpg
A photo of a Coles full-service checkout sparked a debate online. Credit: State Library of Victoria

The rise of self-service checkouts, which began to appear nearly a decade ago, has been met with mixed reactions from the public.

While some shoppers appreciate the convenience and speed of scanning their items, others lament the loss of personal interaction, the perceived decline in customer service, and retail jobs lost by Aussies to machines.

The photograph from Coles has reignited this debate, with many Australians expressing a longing for the 'good old days' of old-fashioned service.

‘That’s a very rare sight these days. I hardly ever see a register open anymore,’ one social media user wrote.

‘How it should be at every checkout!’ another said.

Some advocated for a revival of ‘old-fashioned customer service’ and a return to the ‘good old days’, with one person describing the image as ‘a dream’, showcasing ‘so many registers opened with neatly dressed cashiers at each one’.

Several admitted to disliking self-service checkouts, emphasising their preference for human interaction during their shopping experience.

Yet, some highlighted various reasons beyond the rise of self-serve checkouts for the rarity of such scenes in modern times.

Commenters on the photo pointed out that supermarkets had more compact trading hours, typically around 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and were closed on Sundays.

This meant that during peak times, stores were busier, necessitating a full complement of staffed checkouts. One user also was quick to stress that at the time, Coles faced less competition in Belmont, with no Woolworths or ALDI stores to contend with.

Some have even suggested that the photo may have been a promotional shot, explaining the unusually high number of open registers.

On the other hand, some people have defended the introduction of self-service checkouts, citing benefits such as reduced wait times and greater accessibility for those with mobility issues.

‘I love self-service checkouts; so much quicker and easier than waiting in line for someone to scan the items,’ one user commented.

‘I prefer self-service because I have mobility problems, and I want to be in and out as I can’t stand for too long. I also find checkouts are prone to more mistakes than self-service,’ another shared.

The debate extends beyond Australian shores, with international customers also voicing their dissatisfaction with self-service registers.

In response to customer feedback, some retailers, such as Walmart in the US and Booths in the UK, have begun removing self-checkout systems due to complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.

Despite the backlash, major Australian supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths have not indicated any plans to reverse the trend towards self-service, citing popular demand.

Instead, they have implemented new security features to combat the rising rate of thefts in self-service areas, including automatic gates, surveillance cameras, and trolley lock technology.

Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci has also addressed concerns that self-service checkouts are reducing job opportunities, asserting that the company employs more people than ever.

‘Self-service check-outs and the perception that this results in a reduction in team members in-store is a passionate dinner table topic in our house,’ Mr Banducci said.

‘The fact is, we employ more people than ever before and, with the popularity of online ordering, this year we’ve hired 5,500 Personal Shoppers, so there are more jobs at Woolies, not less,’ he added.

As we reflect on this snapshot from the past, it's clear that the conversation about the future of retail service is far from over.

Whether you're a fan of self-service convenience or a staunch supporter of the full-service experience, one thing is certain: the way we shop continues to evolve, and with it, our expectations of what it means to be a customer.

Key Takeaways
  • A historical photo of a Coles store with multiple manned checkouts open sparked a debate regarding increasing self-service checkouts.
  • Some Aussies expressed nostalgia for the 'good old days' of customer service and called for a return to more manned registers, while others preferred self-service due to convenience and personal challenges such as mobility issues.
  • The debate reflects wider sentiments, with some overseas retailers removing self-checkouts due to customer complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.
  • Despite the backlash, major Australian retailers like Coles and Woolworths are enhancing security measures at self-service checkouts rather than removing them, and Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci claimed that technology has not led to fewer jobs but rather more employment opportunities within the company.

Members, what's your take on self-service checkouts? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Many of these positions were held by youngsters trying to get a start in working for a living, it would get their heads out of their phones and introduce them to personal interaction with people again, something sadly lacking in many of our young today. Face to face conversation and interaction is dying today, along with respect, compassion and empathy as a result imo.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I was in Aldi in Northam on Monday,
packing my groceries when I heard a bit of a kerfuffle at one of the checkouts.
It turned out that a young intellectually disabled.chap was 15cents short for his groceries.
The stupid cashier didn't seem to know what to do. People were grumping and groaning about being held up. Not one of them bothered to offer a lousy 15cents to help out.
The poor guy was getting quite upset.
I went over to the checkout and paid it for him and he started to cry.
To the people in that queue I would like to say "Merry Xmas and what the bloody hell is wrong with you all,"
You should be ashamed of yourselves, a lousy 15cents, for heaven's sake.
What a lovely gesture @mylittletibbies! Too bad there aren't more people in the world like you, unlike those self centred Tik Tok tosspots who whinge about the escalator being broken down, making them 12.89 seconds late for their daily Botox appointment.

Last edited:
Customer service does NOT mean that the customer is the one who has to do all the work. I refuse to shop at Coles in Karingal, Frankston anymore because without warning they removed the Express checkouts, which were close to the entrance (great for if you needed to rush in to grab an item or two), were replaced by MORE self serve checkouts. On my last visit there, there was only ONE manned checkout, right down the far end of all the self serve registers. Obviously there was a queue of people waiting to be served. When I made a complaint at the front desk the lovely young lady said, they too were surprised that the Express lanes were removed. They had not been told. She did say that the staff in self serve would be happy to put me through SS next time I came in. They did not seem too impressed when I asked for that the next time I went in. I was looked at as if it was an imposition. Lost me Coles!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
A single photograph can evoke nostalgia, stir emotions, and even spark a heated debate, as evidenced by a recent online uproar among Australians.

The image in question, a throwback to a Coles supermarket in the 1980s in Belmont, New South Wales, has become the centre of a contentious discussion about the changing face of grocery shopping and customer service.

The photo, shared in a Facebook group dedicated to Australian retail nostalgia, captured a time when full-service checkouts were the norm, with rows of cashiers attending to customers' needs.

It was sourced from the State Library of Victoria and dated sometime between 1980 and 1989, showing a bustling grocery scene with each register operated by a neatly dressed cashier—a sight that has become increasingly rare in today's supermarkets.

View attachment 37836
A photo of a Coles full-service checkout sparked a debate online. Credit: State Library of Victoria

The rise of self-service checkouts, which began to appear nearly a decade ago, has been met with mixed reactions from the public.

While some shoppers appreciate the convenience and speed of scanning their items, others lament the loss of personal interaction, the perceived decline in customer service, and retail jobs lost by Aussies to machines.

The photograph from Coles has reignited this debate, with many Australians expressing a longing for the 'good old days' of old-fashioned service.

‘That’s a very rare sight these days. I hardly ever see a register open anymore,’ one social media user wrote.

Some advocated for a revival of ‘old-fashioned customer service’ and a return to the ‘good old days’, with one person describing the image as ‘a dream’, showcasing ‘so many registers opened with neatly dressed cashiers at each one’.

Several admitted to disliking self-service checkouts, emphasising their preference for human interaction during their shopping experience.

Yet, some highlighted various reasons beyond the rise of self-serve checkouts for the rarity of such scenes in modern times.

Commenters on the photo pointed out that supermarkets had more compact trading hours, typically around 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and were closed on Sundays.

This meant that during peak times, stores were busier, necessitating a full complement of staffed checkouts. One user also was quick to stress that at the time, Coles faced less competition in Belmont, with no Woolworths or ALDI stores to contend with.

Some have even suggested that the photo may have been a promotional shot, explaining the unusually high number of open registers.

On the other hand, some people have defended the introduction of self-service checkouts, citing benefits such as reduced wait times and greater accessibility for those with mobility issues.

‘I love self-service checkouts; so much quicker and easier than waiting in line for someone to scan the items,’ one user commented.

‘I prefer self-service because I have mobility problems, and I want to be in and out as I can’t stand for too long. I also find checkouts are prone to more mistakes than self-service,’ another shared.

The debate extends beyond Australian shores, with international customers also voicing their dissatisfaction with self-service registers.

In response to customer feedback, some retailers, such as Walmart in the US and Booths in the UK, have begun removing self-checkout systems due to complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.

Despite the backlash, major Australian supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths have not indicated any plans to reverse the trend towards self-service, citing popular demand.

Instead, they have implemented new security features to combat the rising rate of thefts in self-service areas, including automatic gates, surveillance cameras, and trolley lock technology.

Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci has also addressed concerns that self-service checkouts are reducing job opportunities, asserting that the company employs more people than ever.

‘Self-service check-outs and the perception that this results in a reduction in team members in-store is a passionate dinner table topic in our house,’ Mr Banducci said.

‘The fact is, we employ more people than ever before and, with the popularity of online ordering, this year we’ve hired 5,500 Personal Shoppers, so there are more jobs at Woolies, not less,’ he added.

As we reflect on this snapshot from the past, it's clear that the conversation about the future of retail service is far from over.

Whether you're a fan of self-service convenience or a staunch supporter of the full-service experience, one thing is certain: the way we shop continues to evolve, and with it, our expectations of what it means to be a customer.

Key Takeaways

• A historical photo of a Coles store with multiple manned checkouts open sparked a debate regarding increasing self-service checkouts.
  • Some Aussies expressed nostalgia for the 'good old days' of customer service and called for a return to more manned registers, while others preferred self-service due to convenience and personal challenges such as mobility issues.
  • The debate reflects wider sentiments, with some overseas retailers removing self-checkouts due to customer complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.
  • Despite the backlash, major Australian retailers like Coles and Woolworths are enhancing security measures at self-service checkouts rather than removing them, and Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci claimed that technology has not led to fewer jobs but rather more employment opportunities within the company.

Members, what's your take on self-service checkouts? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Record profits, but with hardly any workforce?.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Enjoyed a comment I read recently. Writer asked when either Coles or Woolies were holding their Christmas parties, as she felt like staff, after always checking groceries through self-service check out!

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

Coles and Woolies stated they employ more people than ever, but not on the shop floor! Must be in the offices.

The original concept of the self-serve checkout was to offer customers who only had a few things (less than 12 items) the opportunity to bypass the cash registers that might be looking after customers who had trolley loads. It was a great idea. Now it seems that this has been forgotten and the pleasant experience of having your groceries checked and packed properly has almost disappeared.

It turned out that a young intellectually disabled.chap was 15cents short for his groceries.
The stupid cashier didn't seem to know what to do. People were grumping and groaning about being held up. Not one of them bothered to offer a lousy 15cents to help out.
To the people in that queue I would like to say "Merry Xmas and what the bloody hell is wrong with you all,"
Good on you.
Have to wonder about the people in the queue don't you.

Too bloody right......

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

I hate the self-serve checkouts. I make them open up a check out with a person I dont get paid to scan my groceries or pack them

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

'We employ more people than ever before..'. A pointless statement as it has no relevance to the topic under discussion: self service compared to 'real' service, checkouts. These many extra staff members are NOT at checkouts of either type. They are collating and or filling on- line orders, restocking shelves (maybe), driving delivery trucks ( maybe) and similar non face to face jobs.
The real checkout statistic at my local Woollies? ONE real checkout open if lucky, one - 2 if lucky- express checkouts open, and a large area of self service stations with one staff member overseeing them.
WHY DON'T SUPERMARKET BOSSES TELL THE REAL TRUTH, not give an obfuscation as quoted in this article?

I saw an elderly man at the checkout counting small coins today to pay for his couple of grocery items. I handed the checkout girl $20 and told her to give him the change. I helped him pick up his coins and wished him a Merry Christams.

WHY do we have to fight for service in many fields the young ones have not been taught Manners Patience and Respect. So this leads to rudness,and disrespect 😤 it is not there fault blame the Parents, example when a child is born they are thrown into daycare and after school care. So Dad can play the pokies mum can go to the gym it goes on and on Youth Crime no Respect for Police or property no one at home.
Agree about disrespect for Police. A young lad who lived with his parents a few doors from me hooned down the street one afternoon into his driveway. When l reminded him a Policeman lived in the street (4 homes down on the other side of our street), he retorted, 'l'm not afraid of the Cops'. Too bad his parents never taught him about respect for people doing those jobs. Even if he was trying to act tough, it didn't go down well with me. Are some children dragged up rather bought up by their parents?

Goodness me! What a hullabaloo about self-serve checkouts!! Yes, they often go into a sort of ‘sleep mode’ when there is a hiccup with automation. Do any of you accept that it is perhaps just you that is causing what you call a loss of jobs because of these machines? Lazy people, (or those for whatever medical or age-related reason) who do not or (due to incapacity) cannot make it to a shop, are the reason there is a so-called loss of jobs. BUT THERE ISN’T.

Who do you think selects and packs your on-line orders? Staff ARE behind the scenes doing your job selecting your groceries for you, packing your on-line order, then waiting around in the background for you to rock up in your car, at your convenience, to pick up your order.

We just have to get used to technology, automation and advancement in our lives. How did we advance from the 50s, 60’s and into the 80’s without technology?? When we did not have this technology did we get on Facebook, TikTok, etc and whinge? No, we didn’t and couldn’t because we didn’t have the technology. So, try and get over it and accept that everything, especially technology, is constantly advancing and at a rapid - very, very rapid - pace. These are not the only things that are advancing. If you cannot accept that, then you can stay back in the 50s.

I’m sorry to rant here, but it is getting ridiculous that we hear about technology so much and fail to acknowledge what it was like back in the 50s, 60s etc. and how we did things then. Even I am trying to accept change but I do not whinge about it all the time - I try to sort through the changes.
Yes technology has come a long way hasn't it? Someone picks your shopping for you & you are notified that this can be picked up between the times you have opted for when placing your order.

You will usually advise the store via app that you are leaving home or on your way & on arrival will use the app again to tell the store which numbered bay you are in. You may need to wait a few minutes for service but this can be a good time to clear space in the vehicle, if needed, for the groceries.

The few minutes spent waiting for your groceries is more than compensated but the time saved from having to push a trolley around the shop yourself. A few minutes is a good investment for what one gets in return. Good technology & one every shopper can choose to use or not. I am glad for this advancement.

I got a great idea. Why don't we all get together and start sending all Self serve stores an invoice for unpaid wages. We all need to do it one the same day all across Australia. It would be a classic event everyone would remember.

What I noticed about the photo is that all the people were female and only two, maybe three were male. I guess most of the grocery shopping was done by females in the 1980’s?? Well, that seems to have changed. 😁

On a related issue, I reported that Coles Dandenong Plaza had reduced their cash accepting self serve checkouts from 8 to 2, with one of those 2 being out of order due to a "coin acceptor error".

I had my usual very vocal whinge, and most probably with countless others, stated our vehement disapproval of such an act. Well, an ideal outcome with all 8 checkouts now reinstated as cash accepting. Hooray! A win for the little guy!!

Reactions: DLHM