Coles and Woolworths intensify supermarket surveillance to combat abuse and theft

Australian supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths have introduced in-store surveillance technologies, with Woolworths alone investing as much as $40 million in new high-tech cameras and scanners—much to the chagrin of their customers.

But now, these retailers are ramping up their surveillance, and not all shoppers are thrilled about the extra eyes on them.

Coles and Woolworths are investing millions into new CCTV systems, self-checkout cameras, scanning assistants, and body cameras for staff in an effort to kerb rising cases of theft and abuse faced by retail workers.

However, the 'Big Brother' experience of customers constantly being watched and scanned has left many feeling anxious.

SDC 30.png
Coles has reportedly launched body-worn cameras in order to better protect its staff from potential abuse from customers. Image source: Youtube/7News Australia.

Social media user Fergus Neal shared his thoughts on Coles' introduction of body-worn cameras in its stores.

'I’m out,' Neal said.

'I’m not walking into a Coles store and seeing a minimum wage cyborg with a camera on their chest, that’s crazy.'

'I don’t want to live in a place like that,' he added.

You can watch Neal’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@thefergusneal.

Professor Nitika Garg, a Consumer Behaviour Expert from the University of New South Wales said that while there is no 'dangerous motivation' behind the increased surveillance, the move has created substantial unease among customers.

'It is only a recent phenomenon where you can see your own image as your scanning items,' Professor Garg said.

'I know what their motivation is, but even then, it makes you be a bit more self-conscious saying, “Look, I‘m scanning the right variety of tomato here. Not scanning the cheaper version.”'

'We knew they always had cameras in store, but I think is a new one and it is a very blatant signal to the consumer: “Look, we are watching, and please do the right thing.”'

Young retail workers who are often on comparatively low pay compared to their older counterparts sometimes suffer abuse from customers, and retail giants Coles and Woolworths have decided to roll out body-worn cameras as a measure to protect their staff.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci has also recently unveiled to shareholders that over 3,000 acts of violence, threats and abuse against staff were reported in the past twelve months.

It is understood that the launch of body-worn cameras is not for reducing stock loss or monitoring shoppers.

These cameras are also not permanently switched on, as workers have the option to switch them on during an interaction with a customer that they feel would potentially lead to abuse.

Other initiatives of these retail giants include overhead cameras that track every shopper's move, artificial intelligence-enabled (AI) cameras that track scanning at the checkout and 'smart' lock gates that automatically close if someone tries to bolt without paying.

This move to heightened tech surveillance also comes after the general shift to self-serve checkouts at big retailers, which lessened the workers at the check-outs to scan items and monitor shoppers.

Professor Garg warned big supermarkets that this could damage customers' long-term brand loyalty and force them to shift to their competitors if they are unable to convey the changes to their customers properly.

'They might think this is a non-issue,' she said.

'The reality is yes, we do not have an option right now, but people who think it is a viable option have moved to places like ALDI or IGA, and some of us might do that once other options do become available.'

'We don’t know what kind of shift we are seeing in the local greengrocers.'

The professor encouraged retailers to put up noticeboards in stores, send emails, and employ more staff on the ground to help customers better understand why they were investing in increased surveillance.

'They can afford to do this and they are just missing that opportunity by just letting this negative emotion and unease simmer in the consumer base.'

Furthermore, the professor added that it is vital to let customers know that the data they get from the surveillance will be properly secured.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles and Woolworths supermarkets are investing millions in new body cameras and hi-tech scanners, causing unease amongst customers.
  • The increase in surveillance tech is aimed at preventing stock loss, theft, and abuse and to protect staff.
  • Woolworths reported it will invest more than $40 million in CCTV upgrades, body cameras and wearable duress devices for staff safety.
  • Consumer Behaviour Expert Professor Nitika Garg believes these changes could affect brand loyalty and suggests better communication campaigns to explain the increased surveillance to customers.
Members, do you think there are better solutions than extensive surveillance? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you do the right thing and pay for all your items, then what’s the problem? I am happy the stores are using more surveillance if it means the price of goods won’t continue to go up because of theft.

Australian supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths have introduced in-store surveillance technologies, with Woolworths alone investing as much as $40 million in new high-tech cameras and scanners—much to the chagrin of their customers.

But now, these retailers are ramping up their surveillance, and not all shoppers are thrilled about the extra eyes on them.

Coles and Woolworths are investing millions into new CCTV systems, self-checkout cameras, scanning assistants, and body cameras for staff in an effort to kerb rising cases of theft and abuse faced by retail workers.

However, the 'Big Brother' experience of customers constantly being watched and scanned has left many feeling anxious.

View attachment 33336
Coles has reportedly launched body-worn cameras in order to better protect its staff from potential abuse from customers. Image source: Youtube/7News Australia.

Social media user Fergus Neal shared his thoughts on Coles' introduction of body-worn cameras in its stores.

'I’m out,' Neal said.

'I’m not walking into a Coles store and seeing a minimum wage cyborg with a camera on their chest, that’s crazy.'

Professor Nitika Garg, a Consumer Behaviour Expert from the University of New South Wales said that while there is no 'dangerous motivation' behind the increased surveillance, the move has created substantial unease among customers.

'It is only a recent phenomenon where you can see your own image as your scanning items,' Professor Garg said.

'I know what their motivation is, but even then, it makes you be a bit more self-conscious saying, “Look, I‘m scanning the right variety of tomato here. Not scanning the cheaper version.”'

'We knew they always had cameras in store, but I think is a new one and it is a very blatant signal to the consumer: “Look, we are watching, and please do the right thing.”'

Young retail workers who are often on comparatively low pay compared to their older counterparts sometimes suffer abuse from customers, and retail giants Coles and Woolworths have decided to roll out body-worn cameras as a measure to protect their staff.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci has also recently unveiled to shareholders that over 3,000 acts of violence, threats and abuse against staff were reported in the past twelve months.

It is understood that the launch of body-worn cameras is not for reducing stock loss or monitoring shoppers.

These cameras are also not permanently switched on, as workers have the option to switch them on during an interaction with a customer that they feel would potentially lead to abuse.

Other initiatives of these retail giants include overhead cameras that track every shopper's move, artificial intelligence-enabled (AI) cameras that track scanning at the checkout and 'smart' lock gates that automatically close if someone tries to bolt without paying.

This move to heightened tech surveillance also comes after the general shift to self-serve checkouts at big retailers, which lessened the workers at the check-outs to scan items and monitor shoppers.

Professor Garg warned big supermarkets that this could damage customers' long-term brand loyalty and force them to shift to their competitors if they are unable to convey the changes to their customers properly.

'The reality is yes, we do not have an option right now, but people who think it is a viable option have moved to places like ALDI or IGA, and some of us might do that once other options do become available.'

The professor encouraged retailers to put up noticeboards in stores, send emails, and employ more staff on the ground to help customers better understand why they were investing in increased surveillance.

'They can afford to do this and they are just missing that opportunity by just letting this negative emotion and unease simmer in the consumer base.'

Furthermore, the professor added that it is vital to let customers know that the data they get from the surveillance will be properly secured.
Key Takeaways

• Coles and Woolworths supermarkets are investing millions in new body cameras and hi-tech scanners, causing unease amongst customers.
  • The increase in surveillance tech is aimed at preventing stock loss, theft, and abuse and to protect staff.
  • Woolworths reported it will invest more than $40 million in CCTV upgrades, body cameras and wearable duress devices for staff safety.
  • Consumer Behaviour Expert Professor Nitika Garg believes these changes could affect brand loyalty and suggests better communication campaigns to explain the increased surveillance to customers.
Members, do you think there are better solutions than extensive surveillance? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

It's pretty obvious from this guys opening statement that he thinks he is a superior being... perhaps he has a reason for not wanting surveillance?
Methinks perhaps he protests too much!

Reactions: Wieso
An individual has a right to privacy without fear of interference or intrusion. This is exactly what the big supermarkets are doing - interfering with our everyday lives.

Did the supermarket ask for my consent to be videoed or photographed? Never! And they will, while hiding behind "a condition of entry" BS, which could be tested in a court of law.

Where's the Cranky Codger when you need him?

I guess it’s all inevitable. Customers are being forced to self serve checkouts as there is only ever one manned checkout open with usually a line up waiting. I would have thought there was more chance of theft on the self serve checkout than the manned ones, hence all the new security 🤷‍♀️
There should be more manned check outs giving customers more choice. It used to be a friendly outing shopping have a chat to the cashier now it’s like we are all robots being watched and not speaking to anyone unless you need help. There must have been a better way !

View attachment 33336

'I’m out,' Neal said.

Key Takeaways

My girlfriend works at Woolies and comes home at least once a week on tears because of verbal insults, rude customers, condescending customers. Hopefully a body camera/recorder might help with those who think it's their God given right to be rude to retail workers. It's not all about theft.

The other day this "smart" technology objected to my selecting "banana" when I was buying green ones and up on the screen came a selection of green vegetables. There went a good couple of minutes out of my life!

Reactions: Ezzy and Wieso
Well sounds like Fergus's shopping options are going to be limited to the local 7/11, ah, but wait, they also have security cameras in operation. Suck it up Neil, you seem to invested in this to be a vigilant community spokesman, more likely it's the concerns and is restricting your 5 finger discounts. won't be long before there is a system that only releases a product from a shelf or locker when it is scanned to a payment debit and then you won't need to deal with checkouts.

I think it's fine only if the management is spurred into action with what they see on the screen, or if the staff member activates the wearable duress device. Waste of time, if it's just a deterrent.

An individual has a right to privacy without fear of interference or intrusion. This is exactly what the big supermarkets are doing - interfering with our everyday lives.

Did the supermarket ask for my consent to be videoed or photographed? Never! And they will, while hiding behind "a condition of entry" BS, which could be tested in a court of law.

Where's the Cranky Codger when you need him?
My local Woolies has got big notices on the window as you go through the doors advising about cameras. If people dont want to read them that's up to them. Obviously its going to be legal. Theyre not going to just put up a notice because they feel like it.:rolleyes:

Another idiot on TikTok so not even worth watching it. :rolleyes:

Just been to my local Woolies. They've got big notices on the windows advising about the cameras in the store. Probably got watched walking round? Don't care. Went to the self checkout. Had the little camera watching me. Still dont care.:)

Like a lot of people I wouldn't even think about nicking anything so not bothered about what the shops do to protect themselves. If you were in the UK you'd also have store security people walking around the stores.

View attachment 33336

'I’m out,' Neal said.

Key Takeaways

You parasites won't less theft then employ more people you money hungry GRUBS 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Love
Reactions: Chris and Leenie
I wouldn't dream of stealing from anyone but I still don't like my presence & everything I do being photography & recorded.
Years ago I worked for a company called McKenzies part time. Products were within easy reach of the customers & we stood behind the counters to serve. Perhaps customer service would be more appropriate but of course more staff would mean less profit for the shareholders. Silly me.

Another idiot on TikTok so not even worth watching it. :rolleyes:

Just been to my local Woolies. They've got big notices on the windows advising about the cameras in the store. Probably got watched walking round? Don't care. Went to the self checkout. Had the little camera watching me. Still dont care.:)

Like a lot of people I wouldn't even think about nicking anything so not bothered about what the shops do to protect themselves. If you were in the UK you'd also have store security people walking around the stores.
They are present in Woolies and Coles in Australia. Sometimes uniformed security staff stroll the aisles - sometimes it's plain clothes staff.

Reactions: Ezzy
It's pretty obvious from this guys opening statement that he thinks he is a superior being... perhaps he has a reason for not wanting surveillance?
Methinks perhaps he protests too much!
What a pathetic attitude. This is exactly why the staff need to wear cameras. No one deserves to be abused in their job.

Reactions: Aussiecris and Ezzy
I guess it’s all inevitable. Customers are being forced to self serve checkouts as there is only ever one manned checkout open with usually a line up waiting. I would have thought there was more chance of theft on the self serve checkout than the manned ones, hence all the new security 🤷‍♀️
There should be more manned check outs giving customers more choice. It used to be a friendly outing shopping have a chat to the cashier now it’s like we are all robots being watched and not speaking to anyone unless you need help. There must have been a better way !
Just because there are fewer staff doesn't entitle you to steal. I am sure you would be upset if you came home to find someone has stolen your TV.

Reactions: Ezzy
Don't we see our Police Force on t.v. wearing body cameras for protection from similar incidents?

l believe we are all entitled to do our job without hindrance & abuse from any person.

lnstead of complaining about staff wearing body cameras, please try & put yourself in the position of an employee being abused as @ Aussiecris spoke of with his girlfriend. Those people are doing exactly what they are employed to do. Staff are required to enforce the employer's rules or find another job.
(Then when they tell the next employer they were sacked because they couldn't follow rules; guess what the new employer is going to say!).

ls this a sign of the times? When l worked for Woolworths in 1972 none of this abuse existed.
"IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME"

Reactions: Aussiecris