This possible road rule overhaul may force you to change your driving habits ASAP!

Australia's road safety landscape is on the brink of a significant transformation.

With the number of road-related accidents on the rise, experts called for a national reassessment of how drivers move on the road.

This sparked a discussion about ensuring the safety of all road users.

According to experts, 2023 became the deadliest year on Australian roads in a decade.

The Northern Territory saw a 170 per cent increase in road deaths within a year.

In addition, The Northern Territory and Western Australia currently have the highest default speed limits at 110 km/h.

On the other hand, the rest of Australia has a default speed limit of 100 km/h.

compressed-WA roads.jpeg
Researchers proposed lower speed limits for the safety of drivers and pedestrians across Australia. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Matthew Philip

These figures are not just numbers; they represent lives lost and families shattered.

With the alarming rise in road fatalities, the current default speed limits are under scrutiny.

The WA Centre for Road Safety Research, led by director Teresa Senserrick, has been advocating for reduced speed limits.

Senserrick highlighted the urgency of this issue, particularly in Western Australia.

She also emphasised the potential benefits of reduced speed limits nationwide.

Just in time for the state's road safety summit, Senserrick's message was clear: lowering speed limits will save lives.

'So when the country changed from miles per hour to kilometres per hour, all the states and territories rounded their default speed limit on rural roads to 100—except WA and the NT,' Senserrick explained.'

For reference, Tasmanian highways have lowered their speed limit to 90 km/h, and some have reduced to 80km/h.

She also pointed out that the default speed limits were set based on the 1970s standards.

However, with advancements in technology, increased population, and evolving road conditions, these speeds should be changed to prioritise the citizens' well-being.

The research-driven proposal indicated that a 10 km/h decrease in speed could reduce the risk of severe and fatal injuries by 28 per cent.

'It is about adapting to changes over time and saying that these speeds are no longer viable on the roads if we want to prioritise people's lives and well-being,' Senserrick stated.

Senserrick also drew parallels between the current speed debate and past attitudes towards drink-driving.

'Going back to the '70s and '80s, people did not generally believe that having several drinks and driving was risky,' she shared.

'That has now changed. People do agree that drinking too much is risky to drink and drive. We need to do the same approach with speed.'.

These changes on the road should promote safer roads in response to changing conditions

'Australia used to be in the top 10 of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries in our roads' safety records; we were tracking to get into the top five and doing extremely well,' Senserrick shared.

'We now barely scrape into the top 20, and we are well below the average. We have got very, very far behind.'

All drivers must stay informed and prepared to adapt their driving habits.

The proposed changes are not just regulatory adjustments; they are life-saving measures that require the support and cooperation of drivers.
Key Takeaways

• Experts called for a reduction in the default speed limit on Australian roads to reduce road fatalities.
  • Some regions, such as the Northern Territory and Western Australia, have default speed limits of 110 km/h, which are among the highest in the world.
  • Road safety research suggested that lower speed limits could reduce the rates of severe crashes and deaths.
  • Western Australia was urged to lead the way in lowering speed limits, with the potential for other states to follow suit to improve road safety.
Do you have a story or opinion about road safety and speed limits? Share them with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I find the data quoted here to be selected biasly . In WA and NT were the high death rates in the areas where the speed limit was 110? I live in the NT and I would be very surprised. There are many factors that need to be taken into account beside speed limits and death tolls.

This time in 2023 our road toll was 9 according to the radio news this morning and this year it is around 45, which, of course is very troubling. However, as I local I know there are many single vehicle accidents on outback roads in overcrowded vehicles where seatbelts are not always worn and the speed limit is not 110kmh. We also have a very high pedestrian fatality rate and cutting the speed limit by 10 km on open roads are not going to help there.

Most people obey the law yet the whole population has to suffer for the few again. Laws are meant to come from the people, not overpaid bureaucrats trying to justify their wages. Personally, I find I concentrate better at a speed that is safe for the driving conditions rather that an arbitrary speed limit decided in some office far far away.

Reactions: Marty F
As you can see by all the other comments on here Teresa sensserick has not done her homework,she has NO idea what the speed limits are in other states or around the globe,and probably should not be in a position to influence any outcome.since the seventies speed limits have been getting lower, vehicle handling has improved,there is a huge police presence, detection cameras everywhere, the population has increased dramatically,we have ten times more road rules, astronomical fines and still only twelve points,but the roads are shocking.
Maybe the authorities need to rethink, because whatever their doing isn't working.
They would do better reading the comments here!
Let's start with better driver education, cheers Marty

I find the data quoted here to be selected biasly . In WA and NT were the high death rates in the areas where the speed limit was 110? I live in the NT and I would be very surprised. There are many factors that need to be taken into account beside speed limits and death tolls.

This time in 2023 our road toll was 9 according to the radio news this morning and this year it is around 45, which, of course is very troubling. However, as I local I know there are many single vehicle accidents on outback roads in overcrowded vehicles where seatbelts are not always worn and the speed limit is not 110kmh. We also have a very high pedestrian fatality rate and cutting the speed limit by 10 km on open roads are not going to help there.

Most people obey the law yet the whole population has to suffer for the few again. Laws are meant to come from the people, not overpaid bureaucrats trying to justify their wages. Personally, I find I concentrate better at a speed that is safe for the driving conditions rather that an arbitrary speed limit decided in some office far far away.
Totally agree 💯

Decreasing the speed limit is only going to frustrate impatient drivers more by making risky moves that are going to increase accidents. NSW does have 110 klm speeds on the freeways and still people break that limit. The experts should learn from Europe with their higher speed limits on their freeways with less accidents and deaths.
Very true if you look at the stats but here in Australia, safety has nothing to do with it, it is all about revenue raising.

Reactions: Marty F
Decreasing the speed limit is only going to frustrate impatient drivers more by making risky moves that are going to increase accidents. NSW does have 110 klm speeds on the freeways and still people break that limit. The experts should learn from Europe with their higher speed limits on their freeways with less accidents and deaths.
100%agree, but the government wouldn't get all that revenue from highway patrol and cameras,if it was really about saving lives. Our money would go to fixing the roads not giving themselves 43% payrises. They forget, they work for Us.

It is not the speed limits that is the problem, it is people (idiots) sticking to them is the problem.

Two areas I have noticed with use of the roads where safety could definitely be improved and they are these;
When it is raining during daylight hours, despite the reduced visibility due to several factors and not just the rain, very few drivers turn on their headlights to increase their chances of being seen earlier and more easily. The second area that concerns me is the lack of common sense with pedestrians who walk on the road with their back to the traffic relying totally on drivers behind them seeing and avoiding them. Obviously, common sense is not that common.
Cheers,
Roy.

This could NOT be revenue driven, could it ?
What about the increase in safety of vehicles with new technology.
Could more people driving SUV's be making things worse ?
Bryan.

Why are car manufacturers allowed to make cars that can drive at speeds of 200 kph when top speed on some Australian roads is 110kph. Highways are not race tracks. No one needs a vehicle that is capable of such high speeds. Speed is a killer especially when in inexperience hands.

In a country this size reducing speed limits is not the answer. That only causes much frustration for drivers. Upgrade the licence test so that people are competent when they get their licence. The licence test has barely changed since I gave up teaching over 40 years ago and it wasn't great then. Make the penalties for offences substantial and driving while disqualified a gaolable offence and the car get locked up for thirty days, irrespective of who owns it.

For a start, putting the age up for getting a driver's licence might help, kids in control of powerful 6 cylinder cars and having a car full of mates, is a recipe for disaster. 😏

Lowering the default speed limit will not work as it puts trucks and cars using the same default speed. This will result in more trucks using the overtaking lanes.
The present system of cameras and police only works in short spaces/distances.
The best solution is using the average speed limit cameras, with speed cameras to cover longer distances between the average speed limit cameras, town and city areas.
It’s not the cheapest option but I believe it will slow the speedsters down.
I still don’t understand why cars are judged by their acceleration and top speed abilities. If you want to stop speeding completely, put acceleration and speed limiters on present cars and put car manufacturers on notice to make cars/motorbikes more ‘road friendly’, with slower acceleration and top speeds of 130klm.

• Road safety research suggested that lower speed limits could reduce the rates of severe crashes and deaths.

I would agree with this but it still comes back to those that won't adhere to speed limits posted.

AH -- the old university trained experts are at it again-- writing and talking crap and as usual using stats to show just how right they are. There might come a time in the far distant future when experts use their knowledge to listen to people who actually use the goat tracks we call highways.
The road users repeatedly call for desperately needed up grades to the Bruce highway and where is the money spent-- That's right and another 6 lane highway from Brisbane to the Gold coast
Nothing spent north of Nambour and nothing ever spent north of Gladstone
But hey 100KPH is the reason for the deaths so lets cut it back to 80 KPH
For once stop talking -- speed kills and lets start talking driver education improvement
Why do we not have an instant call center where bad driving habits can be reported immediately and then the police can set up interceptors to remove those drivers from the roads
Fact-- bad drivers repeat their bad habits every day on the same roads every where so a data base would allow the police to put an unmarked car on the road in the area around that time and then remove the driver
Now we all know that the justice system is in disarray from the revolving door for your criminals , so it is the same to reoccurring bad drivers , because the judges don't have a police history of the driver to act on
Fact -- if responsible drivers could e-mail a daily witnesses bad driving effort then that could be handed to the judge and the right deterrent issued
NO way you say, as some one could have a set on a car, and continually report it-- would you not think that would set a trend and that person would be ignored and that on one morning , with one bad driver , there could be 100 reports of that driver for different ares
What ever -- I am saying is this A-- excessive speed is a problem but not the only problem , B- bad roads is a majour problem and is always ignored, C - there are not enough officers to police bad drivers so bring in good drivers as reporters of bad driving so that the police can concentrate their efforts on the driver and not waste resources D - raise the age to get a license to 18
THERE ARE SO MANY MOVES THAT CAN BE TAKEN SO WHY ARE THE EXPERTS FOCUSING ON THE EASY USELESS FIX ONLY
The age of 18 has ALWAYS been the law since before I got my license back in 1970 at the age of 18!

Lets cut the crap! we make all forms of transport on our so-called roads illegal and we all get around by Shanks Pony, that will stop deaths on our roads with out cutting the speed limit; It will also stop the revenue gouging of our Governments.