This possible road rule overhaul may force you to change your driving habits ASAP!

Australia's road safety landscape is on the brink of a significant transformation.

With the number of road-related accidents on the rise, experts called for a national reassessment of how drivers move on the road.

This sparked a discussion about ensuring the safety of all road users.

According to experts, 2023 became the deadliest year on Australian roads in a decade.

The Northern Territory saw a 170 per cent increase in road deaths within a year.

In addition, The Northern Territory and Western Australia currently have the highest default speed limits at 110 km/h.

On the other hand, the rest of Australia has a default speed limit of 100 km/h.

compressed-WA roads.jpeg
Researchers proposed lower speed limits for the safety of drivers and pedestrians across Australia. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Matthew Philip

These figures are not just numbers; they represent lives lost and families shattered.

With the alarming rise in road fatalities, the current default speed limits are under scrutiny.

The WA Centre for Road Safety Research, led by director Teresa Senserrick, has been advocating for reduced speed limits.

Senserrick highlighted the urgency of this issue, particularly in Western Australia.

She also emphasised the potential benefits of reduced speed limits nationwide.

Just in time for the state's road safety summit, Senserrick's message was clear: lowering speed limits will save lives.

'So when the country changed from miles per hour to kilometres per hour, all the states and territories rounded their default speed limit on rural roads to 100—except WA and the NT,' Senserrick explained.'

For reference, Tasmanian highways have lowered their speed limit to 90 km/h, and some have reduced to 80km/h.

She also pointed out that the default speed limits were set based on the 1970s standards.

However, with advancements in technology, increased population, and evolving road conditions, these speeds should be changed to prioritise the citizens' well-being.

The research-driven proposal indicated that a 10 km/h decrease in speed could reduce the risk of severe and fatal injuries by 28 per cent.

'It is about adapting to changes over time and saying that these speeds are no longer viable on the roads if we want to prioritise people's lives and well-being,' Senserrick stated.

Senserrick also drew parallels between the current speed debate and past attitudes towards drink-driving.

'Going back to the '70s and '80s, people did not generally believe that having several drinks and driving was risky,' she shared.

'That has now changed. People do agree that drinking too much is risky to drink and drive. We need to do the same approach with speed.'.

These changes on the road should promote safer roads in response to changing conditions

'Australia used to be in the top 10 of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries in our roads' safety records; we were tracking to get into the top five and doing extremely well,' Senserrick shared.

'We now barely scrape into the top 20, and we are well below the average. We have got very, very far behind.'

All drivers must stay informed and prepared to adapt their driving habits.

The proposed changes are not just regulatory adjustments; they are life-saving measures that require the support and cooperation of drivers.
Key Takeaways

• Experts called for a reduction in the default speed limit on Australian roads to reduce road fatalities.
  • Some regions, such as the Northern Territory and Western Australia, have default speed limits of 110 km/h, which are among the highest in the world.
  • Road safety research suggested that lower speed limits could reduce the rates of severe crashes and deaths.
  • Western Australia was urged to lead the way in lowering speed limits, with the potential for other states to follow suit to improve road safety.
Do you have a story or opinion about road safety and speed limits? Share them with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Absolutely right Merv. I also live in Tassie & most highways, if you can call them that, are 110 though I regularly get overtaken. I’m a great believer in driving to the condition of the road and the weather where sensible people adjust their speed accordingly. I’m always amazed at how drivers travel much closer in the rain & fog, especially around Launceston. A lot of people over estimate their driving abilities. I’m amazed we don’t have more accidents.

What percentage of road deaths are attributed to speeding.and also the same to road safety. New drivers should be restricted to low powered vehicles until they get an open licence. What percentage of road deaths are attributed to "L" and "P" plate drivers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Speed is not the culprit here. Inattention and complacency is. If the road safety gurus are considering reducing the speed limits as the answer to the problem, then here's a thought. Let's ban vehicle altogether and re introduce push bikes. Yay.

Lowering speed limits will not stop the road toll,we have to stop ignorance ,bad manners and people that think the road is just for them .I live on a property bordering on the Great Eastern Hwy and the limit is 110 watch ing the traffic 70% of users exceed that limit. Something more has to be done to stop these drivers that don't give a hoot of how they behave on the road. These people use their vehicles to bully and intimidate other road users by not just speeding but other dangerous manoeuvres on the road. More education yes but how will it be drummed into these idiots.DUI drivers have to blow into a tube in the vehicle before it will start surely with all the technology at hand someone can come up with something e.g. cars adapted to a limited to a certain speed

People die from fatigue. SPEED OBVIOUSLY FACTORS IN AS THE VEHICLE MUST BE DOING SOME SORT OF SPEED TO arrive at its destination.
Drivers from Adelaide to Mount Gambier at 110kmph take 5 hours to get home from doctors appointments dentists, pickup and or drop children off at private colleges skin cancer eradication etc, etc.. All at a Speed limit of 110 kmph
however, those sitting in high places and not having to drive long distances are suggesting fatigue is not a major consideration and are blindly suggesting that on the final leg of the journey between Keith and Mount Gambier IN SA, a 200 km stretch of road, be changed to 100kmph. this adding a further 20 minutes to the already five hours of driving. SHOULD NOT FATIGUE BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDDRTAION?
Instead of the revenue raising cameras. we wouldn't mind so much if we saw these monies put back into repairing our rounds.
B-doubles, triples and road trains are evermore present on our roads. Nothing wrong here our produce is moving more swiftly but the condition of our main roads is deteriorating rapidly and with no revenue to keep them up to standard.

Here's an eye opener. The number of road deaths in Australia in 2022 by speed for a total of 1194 fatalities.

≤ 40 km/h 22

50 km/h 113

60-70 km/h 315

80-90 km/h 193

100 km/h 369

≥110 km/h 152

Source: Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics, Road Trauma Australia 2022 statistical summary, 2023.

I totally agree with most, if not all of the above comments.They are spot on in my view.Might I suggest this Seniors platform convey these messages to the transport Ministers of each State and territory? With 300k plus members,it would surely have some clout. As has been intimated above,our governments are prone to go for the 'easy fix'. And no doubt with an eye on increased speeding fine revenue. All done under the cloak of 'road safety concerns.'

So on the open roads of wa, and considering the open distance space, the logistics market will take longer, and prices will go up? You can't have it both ways !!!

People die from fatigue. SPEED OBVIOUSLY FACTORS IN AS THE VEHICLE MUST BE DOING SOME SORT OF SPEED TO arrive at its destination.
Drivers from Adelaide to Mount Gambier at 110kmph take 5 hours to get home from doctors appointments dentists, pickup and or drop children off at private colleges skin cancer eradication etc, etc.. All at a Speed limit of 110 kmph
however, those sitting in high places and not having to drive long distances are suggesting fatigue is not a major consideration and are blindly suggesting that on the final leg of the journey between Keith and Mount Gambier IN SA, a 200 km stretch of road, be changed to 100kmph. this adding a further 20 minutes to the already five hours of driving. SHOULD NOT FATIGUE BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDDRTAION?
Instead of the revenue raising cameras. we wouldn't mind so much if we saw these monies put back into repairing our rounds.
B-doubles, triples and road trains are evermore present on our roads. Nothing wrong here our produce is moving more swiftly but the condition of our main roads is deteriorating rapidly and with no revenue to keep them up to standard.
While I agree that fatigue has been recognised as a major cause of traffic trauma, the question is how is it monitored and policed?

Until somebody invents an "Alertometer" or something similar, fatigue cannot be quantified. Therefore, currently there are no laws regulating fatigued driving.

100 mph was the norm out West "back in the day", not 100 kph. The road toll was never as bad as now. Sure, the population was lower, but we had the V8s, XU1s etc and we survived. Loved my XU1. They don't make them like that any more.

In my 50+ years of driving experience, it's not the limit that kills, it's the entitlement attitude of drivers who just want you to get our of their way....even when you're doing the maximum limit.

Lower the limit. They'll still go the same or faster speed.

They lowered the limit near me from 80 to 70 on a road going out of town. Now they're simply doing an extra 10 over the limit. They didn't slow down. They don't care. Trucks, women with children, tradies, P platers. All speeding excessively. No police!

It's attitude that kills, not speed limits!

Last edited:
Reactions: Viellarde
While I agree that fatigue has been recognised as a major cause of traffic trauma, the question is how is it monitored and policed?

Until somebody invents an "Alertometer" or something similar, fatigue cannot be quantified. Therefore, currently there are no laws regulating fatigued driving.
Veggiepatch someone has invented an Alertometer, but most of us can't afford these cars!

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I firmly believe that the top priority, is to invest in making roads safer by maintaining them to a safe standard. Motorists in Victoria spend more time trying to avoid dangerous pot holes which in turn reduces one's concentration on driving and also is reducing the speed that we are driving at.
This has only I believe led to the increase in car accidents and also more severe penalties for the increase in the number of car thefts by under age teenagers who have no regards to other motorists.

• Love
Reactions: Bridgit
Go back to building roads and highways the right way instead of the rubbish they are currently building. In no time the surfaces break down and massive holes appear - I believe this is the primary reason there are more accidents - a semi or a car hits these death traps and jinks the wrong way and viola a head on - our rural roads in QLD are the worst I have ever seen in my 75 years - I refuse to drive the Bruce because of the state of it. Sure there are cowboys behind the wheel and suffer from lead foot disease and low grey matter between the ears - we have always had them - who needs cars capable of 200 kph for 40 - 110 kph roads?
Another thing cruise control should be banned and these cars that want to drive themselves and take control in my opinion are dangerous and I will not own one. They cannot build a car that is more aware of conditions and other drivers intent than the driver full stop!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Ban driver examiners at all Motor Registries whose first language is not English. Much rorting goes on with inadequately skilled drivers receiving a licence from their fellow countrymen. And have all written/computer tests in English, not Farsi, Mandarin, Hindi, etc as an option. These languages are not, and should not, be catered for in road signage.

How practical, lower the speed limit! I suspect that Teresa Senserrick has completed a thorough study of Joel Bests 'Damned Lies and Statistics'. Whilst I don't doubt that there is a correlation between speed and the severity of injuries, it is not the cause. Operator error is! So seeing as we do everything but that is required; improve roads and vehicles, why not extrapolate the theory further and make the maximum speed limit 10km/h! (Perhaps with a person walking in front of the vehicle with a red flag to warn of the impending danger! - red lantern at night!) Surely then everyone would be safe!
I've been a professional traveller for over 40 years and have seen the 'development' of the road system. Roads and vehicles have improved markedly (strange, we survived at 110km/h in those primitive conditions!), what has deterioted is the attitude, skill and understanding of those using the system. Granted, there are many more using the roads (I know, I have to deal with the dopey buggers every day!), but the proportion of road users that seem to be oblivious to the basic rules never ceases to amaze me. You want to save lives, train and retrain drivers until they are competent. Test 18 - 25yo drivers yearly; 25 -50yo drivers every 5 years; 50 - 66yo drivers every 2 years and every year thereafter. This may create a whole raft of jobs in the driver training industry and families may get to spend Christmas together. Unfortunately not politically conducive.
This might save on death and injury, because lowering the speed limit will achieve little other than increasing the frustration of a trip covering the long distances in these two areas.

Lowering speed limits increases the time to travel to your destination which creates drowsiness, therefore sleeping at the wheel and creating road accidents! The disgusting condition of our major freeways and highways and also our suburban roads are definitely NOT car worthy creating more accidents. About time the Australian government looked at European roads and speeds. The way we are going at the moment we will all be using the horse and cart means of travel!

The governments were told to have vehicle manufacturers reduce the speed ratings 10/20/30 years ago and it never happened? Are the car makers too big for us to argue that the change is necessary. A vehicle travelling at a max speed capacity of say 130km per hour is far better than 200km or more these days as some drivers will always test the cars and exceed the speed rate anyway. SO simple to have cars with a maximum speed monitor as was done in military vehicles years ago!
Neil Chaplin

My speedo and my GPS do not agree. The GPS generally shows about 3 to 5 KMPH lower than the speedo. My speedo also shows higher for a few Ks after slowing down, EG from 100 on a highway to 50 at the town edge but the speedo says 56 against the GPS 48 or 49. Drpping to (GPS) 45 and then speeding up to (GPS) 50 brings the speedo to 52 or 53. Go Figure!

The only thing I can see this helping is increased revenue for each state government arising from speeding fines. It, unfortunately, has nothing to do with road safety or saving lives. Once again it all comes down to GREED.
Umm if you don't speed you won't get fined, the amount of revenue they raise is entirely in our hands.