This photo of an elderly woman at Coles has outraged thousands of Aussies

UPDATE: Only hours after this story was published, new details about the story were released. We would NEVER want to mislead anyone, so we believe it's necessary to include this unexpected twist. The SDC understands that the woman in the photo was pretending to be an elderly shopper and was found with a questionable amount of groceries. The authorities later confirmed that the 32-year-old woman was shoplifting.

In a society that prides itself on mateship and a fair go, it's no wonder that a recent image circulating on social media has struck a chord with Australians nationwide.

The photograph in question shows a distressing scene outside a Coles supermarket, where police officers are seen digging into the contents of an elderly woman's grocery shopping.

The photograph, taken in Melbourne, was shared online with the caption: ‘I just saw a poor old lady get forcibly arrested by police and Coles staff for shoplifting food.’

The poster, who witnessed the event, said, ‘I told the police that I'll pay for her food and let her go and then I got threatened with being arrested for "obstructing police." Boycott Coles and Woolworths.’

‘This lady also had a speech disability which makes it 1000000x worse that the police and Coles staff did this!’ notes the original poster.

photo (3).jpg
According to Professor Nicholas Biddle of the ANU Centre for Social Research and Methods, Almost 25 per cent of Aussies do not have trust in the police. Image Source: X / @Sonny_1NC

This incident sparked a heated online debate, with commenters divided.

Some argue that the law must be upheld, regardless of the circumstances.

One user even replied, ‘There are a lot of reasons to boycott a store. Stopping thieves isn’t one of them.’

Most of the comments, however, were calling for compassion, pointing out the broader issue of pensioners struggling to afford basic necessities.

One user commented, ‘This is so messed up. If people are forced to steal food, we need a better alternative.'

Another user added, ‘Terrible in this country, but elderly do not have enough to live on, pension rises are not covering food & utility price rises & [governments] couldn't care less.’

While another user said, ‘A decent police officer would have paid for the groceries and driven her home.’

The Victoria Police has yet to comment on the matter.

The image and the story behind it have become a symbol of a larger societal problem—the financial pressures faced by the elderly in Australia.

With pension increases failing to keep pace with the rising costs of food and utilities, many seniors find themselves in dire straits.

This incident also comes at a time when the profits and practices of major supermarkets are under intense scrutiny.

Woolworths, for example, reported a staggering $1.7 billion profit in the last financial year.

Source: YouTube/ABC News (Australia)

Yet, when Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci was questioned at a Senate inquiry into supermarket pricing, he faced a potential six-month jail sentence and a $5,000 fine for failing to disclose the company's return on equity—a key profitability measure.

The inquiry, chaired by Greens senator Nick McKim, was temporarily suspended due to Mr Banducci's non-disclosure, highlighting the tension between corporate accountability and the public's expected financial transparency.

Key Takeaways

• A photograph shared on social media showing police officers inspecting an elderly woman's groceries in Melbourne sparked public outrage.
  • The social media post alleges the woman was accused of shoplifting and the poster claims they were threatened with arrest when offering to pay for the woman's groceries.
  • Woolworths and Coles come under scrutiny, especially in light of soaring profits and accusations of price gouging. At the same time, Woolworths' CEO faces potential legal consequences for failing to disclose financial details during a Senate inquiry.

Amidst this backdrop, the plight of the elderly woman at Coles has become emblematic of the broader cost-of-living crisis affecting many Australians.

The International Monetary Fund's latest World Economic Outlook doesn't offer much hope for immediate relief, with projections indicating that Australia's inflation rates will remain at the higher end of the Reserve Bank's target band through 2025.

We encourage our community to not only be vigilant about their rights as consumers but also to lend a helping hand to those in need whenever possible.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this incident and the broader issues it raises. Have you or someone you know faced similar challenges? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I bet the store has had this lady in their sight previously. There are stooges who steal for a cafe or in some cases market stall holders. They may look like poor little old ladies but this is for show. She is not stealing from a rich company, shop lifters are stealing from you and me, even other pensioners who have
To pay extra to cover the loss as the shareholder expects a certain return on their investment. Compassion is all well and great, but as we all know there are charlatans out there who would sell their soul. Just got the record - my pensioner friends find going to Oz Harvest or similar allow them to have nourishing meals for a week for $10.
Bet if they are 'youths' of any colour they'd just waltz out the door.

Reactions: Glucose
the truth is that it was not an elderly woman but someone dressing up to look that way hoping to get off with their thieving ways

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM
I have had my bags checked a couple of times. I guess l must have the look, ( no idea what it is, must have it, lol) anyway, when asked now, l show my receipt and holding onto it, l keep walking. I will not change where l shop as it suits me and how dare they assume l am a thief because l am in my 70 and they assume being on the pension, l can’t afford some things. They have no idea on how l save, and what l go without to buy something that l would enjoy to eat and share with my dog. Sorry big story, but yes, Cole’s, l know about, and have heard that Woolworths in some places is just as bad. My goodness what would happen if their profits dropped a bit to help people, OMGOODNESS they might have to clean their own house or something, lol

That is absolutely disgusting! Elderly people are finding it so hard to survive on whatever pension they get. It’s so sad that these poor unfortunates don’t get the help and support that they desperately need. I am an 85 year old partially disabled lady, I have had more than my share of health issues, I am a widow and I try to manage as best as I possibly can. But I know first hand how difficult it is. For goodness sake, what has the poor lady done wrong to warrant this sort of treatment? Isn’t there anyone out there who has a kind and understanding heart?

The law is the law. Profit is business. Generosity is afforded by the giver, not by the public.
Businesses are closing down in America because of pervasive shoplifting. I don't see anyone offering to bail them out. Hindering the law would encourage scammers, thieves and a sense of entitlement to anyone who deem themselves in need.

I was stopped from parking in a vacant spot in a crowded area because a young teenage girl was standing in the middle of it as she wants to hold parking for a friend. I said it is not legal as the spot is for a car and not a person. She claimed I was mean to her and can bully her just because I have a nice car. Possession is 9/10s of the law so I started backing in. Another bystander told me off for the same reason, so I said let's call the police. No one did. Who gave her a sense of entitlement... just because a 65 year old is seen with a nice car. Is it the Govt who is condoning and perpetuating this spirit of entitlement by the enormous free handouts, which we never had, while doing double degrees and holding down 2 jobs? Now even the businesses are required to do the same? If people/businesses are not rewarded for hard work, who would want to work?
I rest my case.

That is absolutely disgusting! Elderly people are finding it so hard to survive on whatever pension they get. It’s so sad that these poor unfortunates don’t get the help and support that they desperately need. I am an 85 year old partially disabled lady, I have had more than my share of health issues, I am a widow and I try to manage as best as I possibly can. But I know first hand how difficult it is. For goodness sake, what has the poor lady done wrong to warrant this sort of treatment? Isn’t there anyone out there who has a kind and understanding heart?
She's a 32 yo thief - i'm 73 and I pay my way if I can't afford something then I go without it there is never an excuse to thieve

She wasn't an elderly lady , she was 32 dressed up to look elderly

I was a bit up in arms about this poor old lady at first too……however I just googled it because of some of the comments…….yes, she was a 32 years old disguised as an old lady……she did shop lift and when the police arrived, she was cautioned……I don’t know if she was cautioned and let go, or cautioned and taken away…..the original poster told a tall tale for attention……..Anyway, I’m sure that there are many older people tempted to steal when circumstances are dire, so all your comments are valid in that regard……….the pity of it is that our older generation should find themselves in such circumstances after a lifetime of working and paying taxes to very selfish governments…..I know that current times are very hard on some of our younger generation too, but they have time on their side, an advantage our elder generation do not enjoy…..

I was a bit up in arms about this poor old lady at first too……however I just googled it because of some of the comments…….yes, she was a 32 years old disguised as an old lady……she did shop lift and when the police arrived, she was cautioned……I don’t know if she was cautioned and let go, or cautioned and taken away…..the original poster told a tall tale for attention……..Anyway, I’m sure that there are many older people tempted to steal when circumstances are dire, so all your comments are valid in that regard……….the pity of it is that our older generation should find themselves in such circumstances after a lifetime of working and paying taxes to very selfish governments…..I know that current times are very hard on some of our younger generation too, but they have time on their side, an advantage our elder generation do not enjoy…..
There is never a right time to steal - and age doesn't come into it i'm 73 yo and was bought up properly to respect other people and never steal no matter what.

Reactions: BabsL
There is never a right time to steal - and age doesn't come into it i'm 73 yo and was bought up properly to respect other people and never steal no matter what.
I never said there was a right time to steal, and I hope there are many people brought up like you…..nevertheless, temptation does exist, for all age groups, and it can become desperate for some people even though they know it to be wrong…….The post related to elder people though, so my comments were directed at elder people and their possible circumstances…..

I never said there was a right time to steal, and I hope there are many people brought up like you…..nevertheless, temptation does exist, for all age groups, and it can become desperate for some people even though they know it to be wrong…….The post related to elder people though, so my comments were directed at elder people and their possible circumstances…..
You might excuse it in some circumstances but I DO NOT I worked hard all my life and saved so I wouldn't be desperate at this age - some choose lifestyle over saving and that's their choice but mine was to take care of myself, I have no sympathy for anyone who steals and I mean no one.

Reactions: Jest
We don't know the back story of this lady, she may be a serial shoplifter and doesn't really need what she takes, so it is unfair to knock the police and Coles unless you know the full story
The law is the law. Profit is business. Generosity is afforded by the giver, not by the public.
Businesses are closing down in America because of pervasive shoplifting. I don't see anyone offering to bail them out. Hindering the law would encourage scammers, thieves and a sense of entitlement to anyone who deem themselves in need.

I was stopped from parking in a vacant spot in a crowded area because a young teenage girl was standing in the middle of it as she wants to hold parking for a friend. I said it is not legal as the spot is for a car and not a person. She claimed I was mean to her and can bully her just because I have a nice car. Possession is 9/10s of the law so I started backing in. Another bystander told me off for the same reason, so I said let's call the police. No one did. Who gave her a sense of entitlement... just because a 65 year old is seen with a nice car. Is it the Govt who is condoning and perpetuating this spirit of entitlement by the enormous free handouts, which we never had, while doing double degrees and holding down 2 jobs? Now even the businesses are required to do the same? If people/businesses are not rewarded for hard work, who would want to work?
I rest my case.
Couldn't agree with you more - too many ill informed sympathizers on here, personally i'd lock her up and throw the key away - we all pay for the things she steals and there isn't a doubt in my mind she's a repeat offender.

There was a group of waste of space oxygen thieving teenagers (10 - 18) in my local area for quite a while who spent their entire days going into the local Woolworths store and stealing whatever they could get away with. They were never stopped by the staff members due to store policy. One would go in and come out with food items, usually junk food, show it to his mates and brag about how easy it was so the next one would go in to outdo the first. They also beat up other teenagers including throwing a 12yr old under a moving car and adults if they wouldn't hand over cigarettes or money. It took a while but these teens were finally banished from the shopping area by police & the courts & apparently if they are caught back in the vicinity then it's off to juvie for them.

Perhaps we could transport them to the UK as they did in the early settlement of Australia.