This petrol station photo has some Australians furious—can you spot the reason why?

It's a scene that could be straight out of any Australian town: a car pulled up at the petrol pump, ready to refuel.

However, a closer look at a recent photo taken at a Shell petrol station in Murray Bridge, southeast of Adelaide, reveals a detail that has sparked a fiery debate across the nation.

The image, which has been circulating on social media, shows a man driving into the petrol station from the side clearly marked 'no entry'.

The Australian who snapped and shared the photo voiced their frustration, pointing out that such actions create unnecessary congestion, especially when someone enters the station correctly.

'The people that do this suck, because when someone inevitably comes in the correct way, you've now created congestion,' they lamented.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 131817.jpg
This image of a man entering a Shell petrol station from the 'no entry' side was posted on social media, sparking debate among users. Credits: Facebook

However, the post didn't quite have the intended effect.

Instead of rallying against the rogue driver, thousands of Australians chimed in, many admitting they've done the same thing.

'If that's the only spare pump and my petrol cap is on that side, best believe I'm going to use it,' one commenter justified.

'I'm not waiting in a queue if there's a spare pump,' another said, echoing a sentiment of impatience that many seemed to share.

‘The servo I often go to only has a diesel pump on one side. I always go in backwards,’ a third chimed.

Yet, not everyone is on board with this approach to petrol station etiquette.

‘What's so hard to understand about “No Entry”,’ one commented.

‘The operator inside should use the microphone, and tell him to go around and not release the fuel. Simple,’ another argued.

‘Park in front of them and make them have to reverse out,’ a third suggested.

From contentious views on the commonplace to cultural contrasts, the discussion around Australia's petrol stations extends beyond their physical appearance.

Delving into the nuances of fuel stops, it's evident that differences exist not only in the layout and operation of these establishments, but also in the broader cultural perceptions surrounding them.
Key Takeaways

• An image of a man entering a Shell petrol station from the 'no entry' side sparked debate among Australians online.
  • The photograph was shared on social media, showing the man pulling up to the pumps in a manner that, the poster argued, could create congestion if others enter correctly.
  • While many Australians defended the man's actions, arguing convenience and petrol cap placement, others criticised him for being 'self entitled'.
  • The debate highlighted differing attitudes towards road rules and courtesy at petrol stations, with some suggesting station operators should enforce entry directions more strictly.
Have you ever been tempted to enter a petrol station from the 'no entry' side? Do you think it's a big deal, or just a minor infraction? And how do you think petrol stations should handle such situations?

Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below—let's fuel the discussion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
This is a 'no win' discussion.
Happens so rarely that at the few times I have seen it, it doesn't seem to have been an issue.

The person infringing probably rarely does it either.
We can all get a bit annoyed when someone breaks ranks, but how we react when it happens is a choice we make.

People have always done this. I used to work at a CE for many years. If confronted they just say that they didn’t see the sign. People also talk on their phones while fueling. The younger ones say that they didn’t know about not being allowed to talk on the phone on the forecourt. 🤷‍♀️
It’s a case of damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Many times another customer has complained to the CSR about a person on their phone or facing the wrong way. If the CSR explains to the customer about the problem they are creating then it usually turns into a big argument by the customer. I have been told many times by a customer “don’t you know the customer is always right”. This is not a joke either. In my past experiences, Coles Express has always backed the customer against any team members.

So, why bother to have some rules in place ( for safety ???) if certin type of people tend to ignore them because of their selfihsness, impatience and laziness ?!? when people filling their car with petrol they would not be rushing to put a fire somewhere, would they ???!!!

Big bloody deal! I'm from Murray Bridge and know this service station well. This was obviously a slow news day. Many people have done this over the years especially if you're an out of towner and missed the no entry sign which is very small. I see it daily at service stations everywhere. If this is all you have to complain about then your life is pretty dull. Get over it.

People have always done this. I used to work at a CE for many years. If confronted they just say that they didn’t see the sign. People also talk on their phones while fueling. The younger ones say that they didn’t know about not being allowed to talk on the phone on the forecourt. 🤷‍♀️
It’s a case of damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Many times another customer has complained to the CSR about a person on their phone or facing the wrong way. If the CSR explains to the customer about the problem they are creating then it usually turns into a big argument by the customer. I have been told many times by a customer “don’t you know the customer is always right”. This is not a joke either. In my past experiences, Coles Express has always backed the customer against any team members.
I have a feeling the days of "the customer always being right" is long gone.

Reactions: Ingot
I wonder why the sign is even there. Surely no one is going to be fined for not going in the correct way! Quick in and quick out. He would have to circle the pumps and cause more inconvenience. Let common sense prevail.

Whingers will be whingers.

The person in the photo is not breaking any known law, nor is using a mobile phone while filling up.

Same as "no smoking" signs in public places. Unless the sign makes reference to an Act (such as the Tobacco Act in various states), signs displaying a red circle with a diagonal strike out without reference to the said Act, mean SFA.

Don't worry, I have tested the validity of such signs and NEVER lost the ensuing argument. Knowledge of the law comes in handy at times.

So, why bother to have some rules in place ( for safety ???) if certin type of people tend to ignore them because of their selfihsness, impatience and laziness ?!? when people filling their car with petrol they would not be rushing to put a fire somewhere, would they ???!!!
Alex you've misspelt a word certain as certin. That's good as certin with the letters changed is "cretin". That is appropriate. The fuel pump should be turned off by the operator! Normal people are not allowed to break the rules, politicians and rich people can!

Oh for F's sake! Take the no entry sign off and he's done nothing wrong. Everyone knows the stations don't have enough of some fuel types pumps and or on the side suitable for the type of cars for them. It's not like the station looked busy anyway so who cares which way he entered the station.
Maybe he was running low and had to go round the corner and turn in to be on the right side for the sign but wrong side for his tank.
Hasn't the world got bigger problems than a stupid photo of someone getting fuel??
Some people need to get a grip on what is a 'problem' if this is their biggest worry.

look at all the cars lined up, must have been a real busy day. I have done this same thing, so i will give myself an uppercut to keep all those precious whingers happy.

Alex you've misspelt a word certain as certin. That's good as certin with the letters changed is "cretin". That is appropriate. The fuel pump should be turned off by the operator! Normal people are not allowed to break the rules, politicians and rich people can!
Yup! Agree.
Why have red traffic lights if there is no camera at the intersection to catch you if you run them?
Human beings will ALWAYS do what is right in their own eyes - even if it inconveniences others. Rules (and yes regulations such as supervising your kids in the swimming pool) are there to ensure things run smoothly, and get ourselves where we are going smoothly and safely.
I have no time for those who flip the bird, or stick it in your face just because they can.
I'm all for common sense, and helping a neighbour..
And common sense dictates you don't enrage others by your disruptive "because-I-can" childishness.
Those who show no respect have prolly always been angry with life and spoilt brats.

Getting back to the guy at the bowser - how many times does this happen?
Prolly one in 200. It wouldn't bother me personally, or too many others either.
And prolly why I have never been threatened with a touch up too! :)