This petrol station photo has some Australians furious—can you spot the reason why?

It's a scene that could be straight out of any Australian town: a car pulled up at the petrol pump, ready to refuel.

However, a closer look at a recent photo taken at a Shell petrol station in Murray Bridge, southeast of Adelaide, reveals a detail that has sparked a fiery debate across the nation.

The image, which has been circulating on social media, shows a man driving into the petrol station from the side clearly marked 'no entry'.

The Australian who snapped and shared the photo voiced their frustration, pointing out that such actions create unnecessary congestion, especially when someone enters the station correctly.

'The people that do this suck, because when someone inevitably comes in the correct way, you've now created congestion,' they lamented.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 131817.jpg
This image of a man entering a Shell petrol station from the 'no entry' side was posted on social media, sparking debate among users. Credits: Facebook

However, the post didn't quite have the intended effect.

Instead of rallying against the rogue driver, thousands of Australians chimed in, many admitting they've done the same thing.

'If that's the only spare pump and my petrol cap is on that side, best believe I'm going to use it,' one commenter justified.

'I'm not waiting in a queue if there's a spare pump,' another said, echoing a sentiment of impatience that many seemed to share.

‘The servo I often go to only has a diesel pump on one side. I always go in backwards,’ a third chimed.

Yet, not everyone is on board with this approach to petrol station etiquette.

‘What's so hard to understand about “No Entry”,’ one commented.

‘The operator inside should use the microphone, and tell him to go around and not release the fuel. Simple,’ another argued.

‘Park in front of them and make them have to reverse out,’ a third suggested.

From contentious views on the commonplace to cultural contrasts, the discussion around Australia's petrol stations extends beyond their physical appearance.

Delving into the nuances of fuel stops, it's evident that differences exist not only in the layout and operation of these establishments, but also in the broader cultural perceptions surrounding them.
Key Takeaways

• An image of a man entering a Shell petrol station from the 'no entry' side sparked debate among Australians online.
  • The photograph was shared on social media, showing the man pulling up to the pumps in a manner that, the poster argued, could create congestion if others enter correctly.
  • While many Australians defended the man's actions, arguing convenience and petrol cap placement, others criticised him for being 'self entitled'.
  • The debate highlighted differing attitudes towards road rules and courtesy at petrol stations, with some suggesting station operators should enforce entry directions more strictly.
Have you ever been tempted to enter a petrol station from the 'no entry' side? Do you think it's a big deal, or just a minor infraction? And how do you think petrol stations should handle such situations?

Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below—let's fuel the discussion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Yup! Agree.
Why have red traffic lights if there is no camera at the intersection to catch you if you run them?
Human beings will ALWAYS do what is right in their own eyes - even if it inconveniences others. Rules (and yes regulations such as supervising your kids in the swimming pool) are there to ensure things run smoothly, and get ourselves where we are going smoothly and safely.
I have no time for those who flip the bird, or stick it in your face just because they can.
I'm all for common sense, and helping a neighbour..
And common sense dictates you don't enrage others by your disruptive "because-I-can" childishness.
Those who show no respect have prolly always been angry with life and spoilt brats.

Getting back to the guy at the bowser - how many times does this happen?
Prolly one in 200. It wouldn't bother me personally, or too many others either.
And prolly why I have never been threatened with a touch up too! :)
It maybe one in 200 at the moment. (maybe?) If one can do it and get away with it, so can others. Or is the Petrol Station waiting for an accident to happen before any action is taken? Signs are usually put up for a valid reason/s.

Reactions: Ingot