This Organisation Guru's Simple Trick For Remembering Where She Parked Her Car Will Change Your Life

We've all been there, you're at the shopping centre or the grocery store and you can't remember where you parked your car. If you’re anything like us, the resulting feeling is an equal mix of embarrassment and frustration.

There are a few theories about why this happens. One is that as we get older, we have more trouble forming new memories. So, if you can't remember where you parked, it might be because you're not forming a new memory of the event.

Another theory is that with the prevalence of smartphones (and/or other distracting technology) and the generally high-stress tenor of the times, we’re more likely to be distracted when we’re driving. If you're not paying attention when you park, you're less likely to remember where you left your car - sounds like common sense, right?

So, if you are looking for a simple trick to easily remember the spot where you (or your loved one) parked the car, we've got fantastic news for you!

Organisation guru Anita Birges, who runs the popular organising group Mise en Place Professional Organising, has revealed a creative tip that she claims "always works" for helping her remember exactly where her car is parked at the shops.

Sharing her tip on Instagram, Anita explained how she snaps three images on her phone of surrounding landmarks so she can quickly locate her car after a shop.

Credit: Instagram/@mise_en_place_aus

If you're in an underground or high-rise parking lot, the Sydney mum advised taking a photo of the pylon that your car is closest to.

Anita also recommended snapping a photo of the parking space you are in as well as the nearest elevator or escalator.

"How many times have you lost your car in one of those massive shopping centre car parks? I used to and then I started doing this life-changing car park hack‼️" she said.

The post gained traction on Instagram, attracting comments from users who were grateful for the "life-changing" trick.

Others also took to the comments to share their own tips.

One user advised: "A photo of the shop closest to your entry point too, especially if it’s a new/unfamiliar shopping centre!"

"I just take a photo of my car and the ones either side in case they scrape my car when they leave," another added.

A third suggested: "A tip for airport long-term carpark is to take photos but also email/text the location to yourself or a loved one in case you lose your phone etc."

5rp0ejwtjgcdaWBlNBCL3i47cLetiDoNv9m8kDi06DXGkRpurjY4GwWEyenbJZ88r_P0wlM6nbsXe0r8UqJXnaZBFZiqcsPnJFjwkmPYGMRpxZFMJ9F3BhtU0-twZDtiF1IbzgFc-bHHA6YrQw
_6G2QsbYMipA-ZRyZV4od0CF8ONckET6RbFwaPmnFvLnujNIv_brjxsEXol2YuG3dt54hGDiGD950sByW_XyVWA-3POYBe1EGaXiaOElkfrnSDAT8JcjT13456arQFXzmoVSWQ2xSXOPKuNQeQ

The organisation guru recommended taking snaps of the pylon closest to your car, the lane in which you parked, and the escalator level. Credit: Instagram/@mise_en_place_aus.

We would also like to share some tips (that we learned the hard way) to avoid forgetting where we parked our car whenever we're out shopping or attending events:

1. If you’re in a parking garage, make sure to take a picture of the level and space number.
2. Drop a pin on your phone's map app (this probably won’t work if you’re underground, though).
3. Write down a description of where you parked on a note and keep it in your wallet if you don’t have your phone around.
4. Leave yourself a voice memo.
5. If all else fails, don’t be afraid to ask a parking attendant for help - this kind of thing happens all the time, and they may have systems in place to locate your car using CCTV.

So, there you have it, folks! Will you be giving these tricks a go? Better yet, do you know other tips to effectively remember the exact spot where you parked your car? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
When you park your car, don't be in a hurry to race off to the shops.
Look around you, store it in your mind what level you are on, if it's a colour, and what shop is at the entrance where you go in.
It takes a bit of thought until it becomes a habit.
If all else fails, take some photos, but remember to delete them after your trip.

hack? really? BE present, take notice, identify - parking bay bay numbers or door entrance being entered, lane numbers, /poles/posts, entrance doors and signs, the first store as you enter. I f you haven't taken time to observe, then take a photo yes- I have in massive hospital parks that have direct entry into parts of hospitals. But where would this generation be without their phones instead of memory and observing?

We've all been there, you're at the shopping centre or the grocery store and you can't remember where you parked your car. If you’re anything like us, the resulting feeling is an equal mix of embarrassment and frustration.

There are a few theories about why this happens. One is that as we get older, we have more trouble forming new memories. So, if you can't remember where you parked, it might be because you're not forming a new memory of the event.

Another theory is that with the prevalence of smartphones (and/or other distracting technology) and the generally high-stress tenor of the times, we’re more likely to be distracted when we’re driving. If you're not paying attention when you park, you're less likely to remember where you left your car - sounds like common sense, right?

So, if you are looking for a simple trick to easily remember the spot where you (or your loved one) parked the car, we've got fantastic news for you!

Organisation guru Anita Birges, who runs the popular organising group Mise en Place Professional Organising, has revealed a creative tip that she claims "always works" for helping her remember exactly where her car is parked at the shops.

Sharing her tip on Instagram, Anita explained how she snaps three images on her phone of surrounding landmarks so she can quickly locate her car after a shop.

If you're in an underground or high-rise parking lot, the Sydney mum advised taking a photo of the pylon that your car is closest to.

Anita also recommended snapping a photo of the parking space you are in as well as the nearest elevator or escalator.

"How many times have you lost your car in one of those massive shopping centre car parks? I used to and then I started doing this life-changing car park hack‼️" she said.

The post gained traction on Instagram, attracting comments from users who were grateful for the "life-changing" trick.

One user advised: "A photo of the shop closest to your entry point too, especially if it’s a new/unfamiliar shopping centre!"

"I just take a photo of my car and the ones either side in case they scrape my car when they leave," another added.

A third suggested: "A tip for airport long-term carpark is to take photos but also email/text the location to yourself or a loved one in case you lose your phone etc."

5rp0ejwtjgcdaWBlNBCL3i47cLetiDoNv9m8kDi06DXGkRpurjY4GwWEyenbJZ88r_P0wlM6nbsXe0r8UqJXnaZBFZiqcsPnJFjwkmPYGMRpxZFMJ9F3BhtU0-twZDtiF1IbzgFc-bHHA6YrQw
_6G2QsbYMipA-ZRyZV4od0CF8ONckET6RbFwaPmnFvLnujNIv_brjxsEXol2YuG3dt54hGDiGD950sByW_XyVWA-3POYBe1EGaXiaOElkfrnSDAT8JcjT13456arQFXzmoVSWQ2xSXOPKuNQeQ

The organisation guru recommended taking snaps of the pylon closest to your car, the lane in which you parked, and the escalator level. Credit: Instagram/@mise_en_place_aus.

We would also like to share some tips (that we learned the hard way) to avoid forgetting where we parked our car whenever we're out shopping or attending events:

1. If you’re in a parking garage, make sure to take a picture of the level and space number.
2. Drop a pin on your phone's map app (this probably won’t work if you’re underground, though).
3. Write down a description of where you parked on a note and keep it in your wallet if you don’t have your phone around.
5. If all else fails, don’t be afraid to ask a parking attendant for help - this kind of thing happens all the time, and they may have systems in place to locate your car using CCTV.

So, there you have it, folks! Will you be giving these tricks a go? Better yet, do you know other tips to effectively remember the exact spot where you parked your car? Share them with us in the comments below!

The last time this happened to me, I thought that if I wait, eventually mine would be the only car left, unfortunately, when it happened I was too pissed to drive?

Reactions: Ricci
I started doing this when in the underground parking at a major hospital…..worked a treat. Now if only I did as well in tg

I tried this when using the underground parking at our major hospital last year and it worked a treat! Now if only I found my way around the inside the hospital!!😂

I agree that a voice memo on your phone is absolutely the quickest and easiest. Why spend all that time taking photos that you've got to delete later. A voice memo takes seconds. All you have to say is:I'm in parking area G20 (or whatever the sign says) Pillar B2. It's also quicker and easier to retrieve a voice memo when you're ready to go back to your car with all your shopping.

So, there you have it, folks! Will you be giving these tricks a go? Better yet, do you know other tips to effectively remember the exact spot where you parked your car? Share them with us in the comments below

Excellent tips - before mobiles i memorised the pylon number and the shop nearest the entry - now my mobile does the job. I also take a photo of my car rego plate in the park. In the moment, it’s sometimes hard to remember the rego and in some car parks the parking space numbers are painted on the concrete.

Seriously? A hack? Another obvious, everyone who has a pea for a brain knows this anyway video. 🙄

hack? really? BE present, take notice, identify - parking bay bay numbers or door entrance being entered, lane numbers, /poles/posts, entrance doors and signs, the first store as you enter. I f you haven't taken time to observe, then take a photo yes- I have in massive hospital parks that have direct entry into parts of hospitals. But where would this generation be without their phones instead of memory and observing?
Nah! just another chance to put your self-promoting photo on social media - nevermind that these "hacks" are as old as mobile phone cameras.

ok if you have a smart phone!