This everyday buy could be ruining your washing machine - find out why you should stop using it now

We have previously published several articles about the use of this one super common but unlikely household staple for solving many cleaning needs. While most of the tips using this product are not harmful to your home, there's one new warning that we should all keep in mind.

A washing machine repairman has recently cautioned Australians to refrain from using vinegar as an alternative for fabric conditioner in their washing machines as it could damage the pipes of the appliance.

For many people, vinegar has long been a favoured substitute for maintaining soft, fluffy clothes—especially towels—instead of more conventional fabric softener products.

However, the repairman, who claimed to be working for Fisher & Paykel, pleaded with Aussies to reconsider their laundry practises when he noticed an increase in incidents of damaged washing machines linked to utilising the household item in the machines.

Sharing his warning on a popular Facebook group via his daughter-in-law, the repairman shared two pictures of various washing machine pipe components that show substantial damage from vinegar use.

bEa2YAEdk1YmV1AKyrYj45PovaDRa8RfqlwWg6pVgG3WwEt6qkKtcArupZuxry8lIjWhrdPh-4f6cs5GHz_CEGfWzm8sV8I4utoJW-_cHy3Prk13-r77KSq1AhCjWEgVD4BfScV1Er5XhZfws4diMA
EK5RLtV9EvMTAck3-kXKY1ZANC39aBB3gCmKrwCjI10Man86JZIIvvu6a8zWJPCjCGCz-b6asStRqal5SG9Nxe_5-lSFdACVVdTErL6x1xmHmQqLjjWu7vPs3f8TT-mpvA1KgkQ5r9xVA0-Lw-cG4w

Photos of the damaged washing machine pipes. Credit: Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia/Facebook.

'This is what happens to one of the pipes in your washing machine when you use vinegar to soften your towels,' the daughter-in-law wrote.

'Needless to say he was happy to hear that I’ve never used vinegar.'

The advice has captured the attention of hundreds of social media users, with many people being startled to learn that vinegar could have such a terrible impact on their washing machines.

One user wrote: 'Won’t be doing that again even if it works so well.'

'I’m so glad that I have not used vinegar in my machine,' another wrote.

Others claimed that reading the warning about using vinegar in a washing machine didn't surprise them.

One comment read: 'Vinegar is not great at all to use in a washing machine, I have tried so many times to tell people and I’ve given up.'

'When we got our new washing machine many years back, the guy that delivered it said not to use vinegar in your washing machine as it causes damage to it,' another added.

A third chimed in: 'It also can damage the rubber seal. Friend has had to replace hers in a 24-month-old front loader machine because the vinegar has damaged hers and it literally split.'

'First she knew about it was the water cascading out of the front.'

Others, on the other hand, expressed scepticism, claiming they had used vinegar on their washing machine for years with no issues.

One person said: 'I have been using it in my washing machine for 25 years, no problems - and 15 years in the dishwasher.'

'Been using vinegar for at least 25 years and never had that problem!' another claimed.

Given that certain manufacturers and service personnel have previously advised using vinegar, some people were perplexed by the warning.

One user commented: 'My washing machine repairman has said it’s fine to use vinegar in your machine. So many different viewpoints it’s hard to know what is right!'

It's always best to follow the manufacturer's directions before trying something new. After all, they know their product best and want to ensure that you'll be able to use it for years to come.

Appliances are complex machines, and as such, they require careful handling. That's why the manufacturer's directions exist - to ensure that you're using the appliance correctly, and not causing any damage in the process.

So before you go ahead and try something new with any of your appliances, make sure to read the manufacturer's instructions first. If you’ve lost the original manuals, you can find them online these days by simply Googling your model number. It'll save you a lot of hassle in the long run!

Do you know other tricks that can soften your clothes while washing without the use of harsh chemicals? Share them with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I do not believe vinegar will have ANY effect on the washing machine pipes. 1 cup of vinegar per wash, then that is mixed in with the washing water, the effect on pipes would be nothing. Time the water is in the pipes is very short as well. NAH old wives tale!

We have previously published several articles about the use of this one super common but unlikely household staple for solving many cleaning needs. While most of the tips using this product are not harmful to your home, there's one new warning that we should all keep in mind.

A washing machine repairman has recently cautioned Australians to refrain from using vinegar as an alternative for fabric conditioner in their washing machines as it could damage the pipes of the appliance.

For many people, vinegar has long been a favoured substitute for maintaining soft, fluffy clothes—especially towels—instead of more conventional fabric softener products.

However, the repairman, who claimed to be working for Fisher & Paykel, pleaded with Aussies to reconsider their laundry practises when he noticed an increase in incidents of damaged washing machines linked to utilising the household item in the machines.

Sharing his warning on a popular Facebook group via his daughter-in-law, the repairman shared two pictures of various washing machine pipe components that show substantial damage from vinegar use.

bEa2YAEdk1YmV1AKyrYj45PovaDRa8RfqlwWg6pVgG3WwEt6qkKtcArupZuxry8lIjWhrdPh-4f6cs5GHz_CEGfWzm8sV8I4utoJW-_cHy3Prk13-r77KSq1AhCjWEgVD4BfScV1Er5XhZfws4diMA
EK5RLtV9EvMTAck3-kXKY1ZANC39aBB3gCmKrwCjI10Man86JZIIvvu6a8zWJPCjCGCz-b6asStRqal5SG9Nxe_5-lSFdACVVdTErL6x1xmHmQqLjjWu7vPs3f8TT-mpvA1KgkQ5r9xVA0-Lw-cG4w

Photos of the damaged washing machine pipes. Credit: Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia/Facebook.

'This is what happens to one of the pipes in your washing machine when you use vinegar to soften your towels,' the daughter-in-law wrote.

The advice has captured the attention of hundreds of social media users, with many people being startled to learn that vinegar could have such a terrible impact on their washing machines.

Others claimed that reading the warning about using vinegar in a washing machine didn't surprise them.

One comment read: 'Vinegar is not great at all to use in a washing machine, I have tried so many times to tell people and I’ve given up.'

'When we got our new washing machine many years back, the guy that delivered it said not to use vinegar in your washing machine as it causes damage to it,' another added.

A third chimed in: 'It also can damage the rubber seal. Friend has had to replace hers in a 24-month-old front loader machine because the vinegar has damaged hers and it literally split.'

Others, on the other hand, expressed scepticism, claiming they had used vinegar on their washing machine for years with no issues.

One person said: 'I have been using it in my washing machine for 25 years, no problems - and 15 years in the dishwasher.'

'Been using vinegar for at least 25 years and never had that problem!' another claimed.

Given that certain manufacturers and service personnel have previously advised using vinegar, some people were perplexed by the warning.

One user commented: 'My washing machine repairman has said it’s fine to use vinegar in your machine. So many different viewpoints it’s hard to know what is right!'

It's always best to follow the manufacturer's directions before trying something new. After all, they know their product best and want to ensure that you'll be able to use it for years to come.

Appliances are complex machines, and as such, they require careful handling. That's why the manufacturer's directions exist - to ensure that you're using the appliance correctly, and not causing any damage in the process.

So before you go ahead and try something new with any of your appliances, make sure to read the manufacturer's instructions first. If you’ve lost the original manuals, you can find them online these days by simply Googling your model number. It'll save you a lot of hassle in the long run!

Do you know other tricks that can soften your clothes while washing without the use of harsh chemicals? Share them with us in the comments below!
Yes well, you guys have (several times as well), the ‘wise’ words of some ‘cleaning gurus’, (in their minds anyway), who have promoted the use of vinegar as a cleaner for washing machines & dishwashers!!! Not such a great idea hey!!

Reactions: Ricci
I'm thinking the repairman's claim is legit, with evidence to back it up. Rather I think it goes to whether your machine's pipes, etc are metal or not. Vinegar is kinder to metal than rubber or plastic, for example. Soooo the people longtime using vinegar with a 30 year old machine are more likely to have metal machine parts than the more recent alternatives.

I have been using vinegar in my LG front loader for 8 years and no issue. I would say using fabric softener would do more damage over time given that it clogs up.
I agree with you LMW as I was told that softeners clog up the pipes also and switched to vinegar, so now I wonder who is right about all this. Personally, I would go with what a repairman informs you of, but I feel that the age of the machine may also be a big indicator of what is happening. Older people use their machines a lot less than younger who have large families which should also be taken into consideration as they use their machines fewer times.

You can now purchase Laundry Sanitizer for your Washing Machine from the Supermarket at a reasonable price. My favourite is Dettol 5 in 1 Washing Machine Cleaner. It removes Germs, removes Bad Odours, Removes Limescale, Removes Dirt, and leaves lasting Freshness. A 250ml bottle can be purchased very cheaply from CATCH in a 6-pack bulk buy at a cheap price. Dettol recommends using it once every 2 months in an empty machine for optimum performance. The best promise is that Dettol removes 99.9% of germs and bad odours from your machine - which HAS to be a good thing to keep your Family fresh and safe.

Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
You can now purchase Laundry Sanitizer for your Washing Machine from the Supermarket at a reasonable price. My favourite is Dettol 5 in 1 Washing Machine Cleaner. It removes Germs, removes Bad Odours, Removes Limescale, Removes Dirt, and leaves lasting Freshness. A 250ml bottle can be purchased very cheaply from CATCH in a 6-pack bulk buy at a cheap price. Dettol recommends using it once every 2 months in an empty machine for optimum performance. The best promise is that Dettol removes 99.9% of germs and bad odours from your machine - which HAS to be a good thing to keep your Family fresh and safe.
Thank you Dingo for your information and I shall certainly check it out. I shop from CATCH all the time and they are a great website for bulk buying and the quality of their products is always spot on.

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci

Yes I was told same thing about vinegar when I purchased my new washing machine. Guess it depends how you use it and how much,vinegar that is. My machine has a clean machine cycle which I use once a year. After I always use a good clean rinse of clear water. Works for me, rinsing well is the key word.😃💖👌