This common Australian habit often grosses out tourists

Aussies are once again in the spotlight for their love of going barefoot—and it's a habit that continues to horrify tourists from across the globe.

A common sight in Australia is people not wearing shoes while out in public.

This casual attitude to bare feet shocks many international visitors. On social media, tourists have shared their disbelief at seeing shoeless Aussies everywhere, from shopping malls to train stations.

'Serious question: why do so many Australians walk around without shoes on?' one user asked on social media.

barefoot_pexels_72e2c1ca-48e2-44f9-8956-ff15a18fb1cf.jpeg
Australians have been exposed for constantly going barefoot—and it is a habit that is horrifying the rest of the world. Credit: Pexels.

Plenty of Aussies came to the defence of the behaviour, with one user claiming: 'We are just built differently.'

'Shoes are for horses,' added another. Meanwhile, a third agreed and commented, 'There's no need for shoes!'

In February, a British expat living in Melbourne shared her experiences and her surprise on social media about how many Aussies enjoy going barefoot in various places.

She mentioned that seeing people walking without shoes in indoor public places like supermarkets and stores was unusual.

'You would never catch anyone that wasn't on a beach with bare feet in the UK,' she admitted.

'It doesn't appeal to me, but I mean, you do you… I just won't look at the floor.'

But while some might say such a habit might only be confined to the average Aussie, certain true blue Australian personalities are also known to do it.

Chris Hemsworth, a world-famous Aussie actor, has been spotted out and about going barefoot in public.

He was recently seen strolling around town without shoes, and his carefree style has influenced his wife, Elsa Pataky, to do the same. Despite their fame and success, they're both comfortable ditching footwear while out and about.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been called out for their common habit of going barefoot in public places.
  • A tourist posted a video on social media showing Australians without shoes in various public spaces, questioning why so many locals go about their daily lives barefoot.
  • Australians have defended themselves on social media, stating they are 'built differently' and that shoes are unnecessary.
  • People from other nations expressed shock and disgust at the practice, referring to it as weird, disgusting and potentially harmful.
Members, we'd love to hear your take on this. Are you a fan of the liberating feel of going barefoot outdoors, or do you believe there's a time and place for kicking off your shoes?

Moreover, beyond the barefoot culture, what other distinctively Aussie behaviours might puzzle or surprise tourists and visitors from other parts of the world? Please share them with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Our way or the Highway is it!!??
Not exactly the way to “win friends & influence people”!?
I just laugh when people say these things, not all of us actually agreed that it was ok to go barefoot everywhere, so why get outta joint about “outsiders” as u call them, being 😱by some of our ways!? I’m as Australian as, & I don’t like people walking around barefoot out in the public domain(except at beach or a seaside situation - I think it looks feral, but then I don’t like the women who have “the girls” hanging out or the see thru dress & wearing a thong so u see their bare butt cheeks either (where’s the modesty?), so sue me🤨!!!
No need to get all defensive becos peeps don’t like some things we do!
Just laugh & move on, as long as ur not hurting anyone, have ur shoes on or off, but don’t scream at me when I tread on them haha!!!!!😂🤣😅😆😄😃🤪
Wow haven’t we got our knickers in a knot, chill out , it’s not the end of the world , I agree with a lot of what you say , and I’m not out to influence anyone so bottoms up .

I do not wear shoes inside my house , outside I wear shoes , my house is backing on to a lake and we have seen many snakes in the backyard , even brown and red belly black snakes . Too dangerous . I know some one who did go to school in Innisfail ( Far North Qld.) and did not wear shoes to school . This person said the poor kids did not own shoes , this was for the kids who could afford it.
I would never go fare feet to the shops , does not feel right , you may step into something like glass etc.

We came to Australia in 1960 from the UK AS 10 pound poms my mum told me years later she was amazed how poor people were she thought that because they had old t shirts shorts and no shoes that every body was poor she laughed about it as we became Aussies and I stopped wearing shoes in summer

Oi Oi Oi! Indeed!
Have they not heard of earthing?
"Earthing (also known as grounding) refers to the discovery that bodily contact with the Earth's natural electric charge stabilizes the physiology at the deepest levels, reduces inflammation, pain, and stress, improves blood flow, energy, and sleep, and generates greater well-being."
Maybe they should give it a go and destress❣️
To each his own as Paddy kissed the Pig.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
100% better. Apart from smile, laugh or sad, I don't even know what they mean so yeah, much better than words haha
I wasn’t actually apologising for what I said that you referred to as a homily. I meant every word of it, your homily in answer to that was your prerogative but seriously I don’t think the priests have got anything to worry about, we won’t challenge them to write their homily’s for them eh!!??😂🤣
Have a great evening😊

Wow haven’t we got our knickers in a knot, chill out , it’s not the end of the world , I agree with a lot of what you say , and I’m not out to influence anyone so bottoms up .
Sorry if you think my knickers are in a knot, I assure you they’re not, I’m chilled. And ‘win friends & influence people’ is just a saying - not meant to take it literally😂
Bottoms up to you too!🍷

Apparently, we are the only species on this planet that puts something on our feet, to protect them and keep them off Earth ground.
When we were born, did we pop out of mum with shoes on, I don't think so.
How do you Know he/she is not grounding to Earth as that is what some people do to be connected to Earth. Did you know that soft rubber and plastic thongs and runners (sandshoes) came out in the nineteen sixties, and it is thought that is when ADD, ADHD etc started to increase in the world, because people were insulated from earth and not grounded.
Previous to thongs and runners (sandshoes), were shoes made from leather and they were nailed together on the bottom of the shoes and people were all-ways grounded, through their sweat in the leather to the nails, thus grounded.
Our bodies have small amounts of excess voltage in our systems and, walking around with bare feet helps to eliminate this voltage.
But now days grounding is getting harder to achieve because most of the roads, walkways, paths are concrete and bitumen, the floor of your house or shopping center is either tiles, lino or carpet, and none of this is very good for grounding.
The only good grounding is grass, dirt, the sea, rivers and creeks, and best of all it cost you nothing to walk around barefoot. to help improve your health.
I know I am going to cop a lot of flak from some readers of the Senior Discount Club, but it has to be told, and what better place to talk about this than this club.
Most of us members here with this Club, I bet, used to run around everywhere, barefooted, when we children and probably went to school barefooted and played sports barefooted, plus we used to have leather shoes for going out somewhere.
It is only since rubber thongs, rubber runners, and rubber soles on leather shoes, that we all started to wear these items in the late 1950's and early 1960's. It can be said that is when the world started to experience these new unknown diseases, which I mentioned above, that we have now.
Kids nowadays when they play must be wrapped up in cotton wool to protect themselves, whereas we used to get knocked down and get up again and continue on playing even though we were hurting inside.
I hope members will respond positively with their own thoughts on what I have written about as some of the younger people are very ill from these debilitating diseases.
I think that the guy walking around barefoot is a normal practice that should be started to help improve everyone's health.
I like your info on footwear & the ‘grounding’ thing - I’ll be honest I’d never heard of grounding until someone else on here mentioned it!
There were leather sandals worn in the time of Jesus & then the servants didn’t wear them but the family of the house would have. All very interesting!

I wasn’t actually apologising for what I said that you referred to as a homily. I meant every word of it, your homily in answer to that was your prerogative but seriously I don’t think the priests have got anything to worry about, we won’t challenge them to write their homily’s for them eh!!??😂🤣
Have a great evening😊
I did not think for a second you were apologising and I understand perfectly that you meant every word of it and yes I am fully aware it is my prerogative to reply. Not sure why you think you need to clarify the obvious.

Reactions: Leenie
got to laugh you is born into this world bare footed and most likely go out bare footed what is there problem never happy very sad as most grass root aussies are happy, being bare footed I am who cares love life
Yay, good for you! Always good to look on the brighter side of life and be happy...certainly better than being miserable.

• Love
Reactions: Monks and Leenie
i once stayed in a mote
Aussies are once again in the spotlight for their love of going barefoot—and it's a habit that continues to horrify tourists from across the globe.

A common sight in Australia is people not wearing shoes while out in public.

This casual attitude to bare feet shocks many international visitors. On social media, tourists have shared their disbelief at seeing shoeless Aussies everywhere, from shopping malls to train stations.

'Serious question: why do so many Australians walk around without shoes on?' one user asked on social media.

View attachment 34354
Australians have been exposed for constantly going barefoot—and it is a habit that is horrifying the rest of the world. Credit: Pexels.

Plenty of Aussies came to the defence of the behaviour, with one user claiming: 'We are just built differently.'

'Shoes are for horses,' added another. Meanwhile, a third agreed and commented, 'There's no need for shoes!'

In February, a British expat living in Melbourne shared her experiences and her surprise on social media about how many Aussies enjoy going barefoot in various places.

She mentioned that seeing people walking without shoes in indoor public places like supermarkets and stores was unusual.

'You would never catch anyone that wasn't on a beach with bare feet in the UK,' she admitted.

'It doesn't appeal to me, but I mean, you do you… I just won't look at the floor.'

But while some might say such a habit might only be confined to the average Aussie, certain true blue Australian personalities are also known to do it.

Chris Hemsworth, a world-famous Aussie actor, has been spotted out and about going barefoot in public.

He was recently seen strolling around town without shoes, and his carefree style has influenced his wife, Elsa Pataky, to do the same. Despite their fame and success, they're both comfortable ditching footwear while out and about.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been called out for their common habit of going barefoot in public places.
  • A tourist posted a video on social media showing Australians without shoes in various public spaces, questioning why so many locals go about their daily lives barefoot.
  • Australians have defended themselves on social media, stating they are 'built differently' and that shoes are unnecessary.
  • People from other nations expressed shock and disgust at the practice, referring to it as weird, disgusting and potentially harmful.
Members, we'd love to hear your take on this. Are you a fan of the liberating feel of going barefoot outdoors, or do you believe there's a time and place for kicking off your shoes?

Moreover, beyond the barefoot culture, what other distinctively Aussie behaviours might puzzle or surprise tourists and visitors from other parts of the world? Please share them with us in the comments section below!
l and from using the shower caught a fungal infection which took weekly trips to the podiatrist for months. i won’t even go barefoot indoors 🫢