This common Australian habit often grosses out tourists

Aussies are once again in the spotlight for their love of going barefoot—and it's a habit that continues to horrify tourists from across the globe.

A common sight in Australia is people not wearing shoes while out in public.

This casual attitude to bare feet shocks many international visitors. On social media, tourists have shared their disbelief at seeing shoeless Aussies everywhere, from shopping malls to train stations.

'Serious question: why do so many Australians walk around without shoes on?' one user asked on social media.

barefoot_pexels_72e2c1ca-48e2-44f9-8956-ff15a18fb1cf.jpeg
Australians have been exposed for constantly going barefoot—and it is a habit that is horrifying the rest of the world. Credit: Pexels.

Plenty of Aussies came to the defence of the behaviour, with one user claiming: 'We are just built differently.'

'Shoes are for horses,' added another. Meanwhile, a third agreed and commented, 'There's no need for shoes!'

In February, a British expat living in Melbourne shared her experiences and her surprise on social media about how many Aussies enjoy going barefoot in various places.

She mentioned that seeing people walking without shoes in indoor public places like supermarkets and stores was unusual.

'You would never catch anyone that wasn't on a beach with bare feet in the UK,' she admitted.

'It doesn't appeal to me, but I mean, you do you… I just won't look at the floor.'

But while some might say such a habit might only be confined to the average Aussie, certain true blue Australian personalities are also known to do it.

Chris Hemsworth, a world-famous Aussie actor, has been spotted out and about going barefoot in public.

He was recently seen strolling around town without shoes, and his carefree style has influenced his wife, Elsa Pataky, to do the same. Despite their fame and success, they're both comfortable ditching footwear while out and about.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been called out for their common habit of going barefoot in public places.
  • A tourist posted a video on social media showing Australians without shoes in various public spaces, questioning why so many locals go about their daily lives barefoot.
  • Australians have defended themselves on social media, stating they are 'built differently' and that shoes are unnecessary.
  • People from other nations expressed shock and disgust at the practice, referring to it as weird, disgusting and potentially harmful.
Members, we'd love to hear your take on this. Are you a fan of the liberating feel of going barefoot outdoors, or do you believe there's a time and place for kicking off your shoes?

Moreover, beyond the barefoot culture, what other distinctively Aussie behaviours might puzzle or surprise tourists and visitors from other parts of the world? Please share them with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I hate being barefoot. Apart from any other consideration, it's downright dangerous, courting possible injury, not to mention a lack of pedal control when driving. I always wear shoes, or sandals, depending on weather, with socks.
Totally agree - the streets are a minefield of things that can cut and stick into your feet (thinking syringes) even the beach is a danger zone these days. I did when I was a kid though, the world where I lived was a cleaner place than now 😕

Aussies are once again in the spotlight for their love of going barefoot—and it's a habit that continues to horrify tourists from across the globe.

This casual attitude to bare feet shocks many international visitors. On social media, tourists have shared their disbelief at seeing shoeless Aussies everywhere, from shopping malls to train stations.

'Serious question: why do so many Australians walk around without shoes on?' one user asked on social media.

View attachment 34354
Australians have been exposed for constantly going barefoot—and it is a habit that is horrifying the rest of the world. Credit: Pexels.

Plenty of Aussies came to the defence of the behaviour, with one user claiming: 'We are just built differently.'

'Shoes are for horses,' added another. Meanwhile, a third agreed and commented, 'There's no need for shoes!'

In February, a British expat living in Melbourne shared her experiences and her surprise on social media about how many Aussies enjoy going barefoot in various places.

She mentioned that seeing people walking without shoes in indoor public places like supermarkets and stores was unusual.

'You would never catch anyone that wasn't on a beach with bare feet in the UK,' she admitted.

'It doesn't appeal to me, but I mean, you do you… I just won't look at the floor.'

But while some might say such a habit might only be confined to the average Aussie, certain true blue Australian personalities are also known to do it.

Chris Hemsworth, a world-famous Aussie actor, has been spotted out and about going barefoot in public.

He was recently seen strolling around town without shoes, and his carefree style has influenced his wife, Elsa Pataky, to do the same. Despite their fame and success, they're both comfortable ditching footwear while out and about.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been called out for their common habit of going barefoot in public places.
  • A tourist posted a video on social media showing Australians without shoes in various public spaces, questioning why so many locals go about their daily lives barefoot.
  • Australians have defended themselves on social media, stating they are 'built differently' and that shoes are unnecessary.
  • People from other nations expressed shock and disgust at the practice, referring to it as weird, disgusting and potentially harmful.
Members, we'd love to hear your take on this. Are you a fan of the liberating feel of going barefoot outdoors, or do you believe there's a time and place for kicking off your shoes?

Moreover, beyond the barefoot culture, what other distinctively Aussie behaviours might puzzle or surprise tourists and visitors from other parts of the world? Please share them with us in the comments section below!
Half the world walks around with no shoes.. Try and expand your horizons.

• Love
Reactions: Knell and Leenie

View attachment 34354

Key Takeaways

I am from the UK but lived in Australia for 40 years and it still amazes me Australians walking around in bare feet at the shops etc. it might feel good to them…but the downside I have noticed is…many Australians have terrible feet..dry cracked heels and their feet are filthy…sorry.. but each to their own I guess 😊the only other thing I can think of is they talk very loud 😊

View attachment 34354

Key Takeaways

I find this a joke on people from overseas as I have seen plenty of photos of people from overseas (in their own country) not wearing shoes while they are out & about. India. New Zealand. South Africa. United States. Romani.

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 34354

Key Takeaways

I go without shoes as soon as the weather warms up, but only around the house. I always wear shoes in public. So does that make me half of a true blue Aussie :)

I hate being barefoot. Apart from any other consideration, it's downright dangerous, courting possible injury, not to mention a lack of pedal control when driving. I always wear shoes, or sandals, depending on weather, with socks.
I learned to drive barefoot and I struggle to feel the pedals if I am wearing shoes. But as kids we only wore shoes if we were at school, going out or walking the 10 klms to our friends places

View attachment 34354

Key Takeaways

Good grief....this is our country and for as I can remember we went bare footed as kids and as young adults . But as an older adult I now wear thongs or shoes as the cement tears my feet. LOL I have become a delicate little flower. 😉

View attachment 34354

Key Takeaways

the rest of the world can go to hell

View attachment 34354

Key Takeaways

Each to there own. It's not for me, l even hate going barefoot in the house let alone in public. I think it was the way l was bought up. Shoes on all the time.

Reactions: Royal Watcher

View attachment 34354

Key Takeaways

My kids always went barefoot whenever possible. I was always worried they would injure themselves by stepping on a sharp object or getting an infection from something they had trodden on. I am not Australian born so this is probable why I used to worry. I would never go barefoot outside my home.

I couldn't make a comment for some reason so just replying to any. I am an Australian Citizen & have lived here 54 years (next month) but originally from the UK. I don't mind walking with NO shoes on the beach (if the sand isn't hot LOL) or in the house but otherwise I wear shoes/sandals. Not safe to drive in bare feet. Plus don't now who has been spitting etc. In wooded area & fields you never know what is hidden in the grass especially these days with needles thrown anywhere. My children & grandchildren go barefoot but I don't think into shops etc.
I think you will find it's illegal to drive barefooted.

Maybe the rest of the WORLD shouldn't be sooooooooooo uptight about EVERTHING that they don't do, maybe that is the secret to Australians being the HAPPIEST PEOPLE around. We just don't care what anyone else THINKS, well I don't anyway. Aussie All The Way.
Well, reading some of the comments here - are we the HAPPIEST PEOPLE around? Quick to take offence I’d say!?😱😲😮😧🙄🥴😜🤪😂🤣😅😁

Reactions: Littleboy8
Earthing is for a specific purpose, it is not strolling everywhere in barefeet. Barefoot in public toilets gross in my opinion but each to their own, but don't come and walk in my house thank you.

Well, reading some of the comments here - are we the HAPPIEST PEOPLE around? Quick to take offence I’d say!?😱😲😮😧🙄🥴😜🤪😂🤣😅😁
We don’t like outsiders ,giving their 2 bobs worth , this is Australia And we do things our way ,so accept it or zip it.

Earthing is for a specific purpose, it is not strolling everywhere in barefeet. Barefoot in public toilets gross in my opinion but each to their own, but don't come and walk in my house thank you.
..public toilet?...now that is specific! Probably not what most would do....A true Aussie would probably use...the bush behind the public toilets!

Around the home and on the lawn at home isn’t a problem, outside areas are no go areas. Humans are becoming grubs , no cleanliness ,it is really sad to see this happening. What has happened to society?