This Bunnings worker has had enough of cleaning up faeces and made an urgent plea to customers

You're doing your weekly shop at Bunnings and you see a cute little dog trotting around the store with its owner.

You can't help but coo at the sight, and maybe even give the pooch a pat if its owner is okay with it. Dogs in stores just make the shopping experience that much better, right?

Well, not according to one Bunnings worker who has had enough of picking up other people's dog poo and cleaning up wee messes caused by customers’ furry friends.

In a Reddit post, the worker vented their frustration in a thread titled ‘Please, stop bringing your dogs to Bunnings.’

‘Please, for the love of God, stop.’ they began.

‘I don’t get paid enough to clean up your dog’s p**s and s**t. If you can’t train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don’t care enough to carry poop bags… just don’t bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

sekngfbjshagfvb.png
A viral Reddit post with almost 39,000 upvotes (likes) featured a dog named Barney’s first trip to a Bunnings store. Credit: Reddit

The worker then assured dog owners that their pets will be fine when left at home, and suggested they go on a ‘bush walk’ if they want to take their dogs out so badly.

The message was signed: ‘Sincerely, Underpaid Bunnings Worker’.
Understandably, this message was met with mixed reactions from hundreds of other Reddit users, with some quick to jump to the defence of hardworking retail employees.

One sympathetic user said: ‘I was all ready to get sweaty after reading the title as I love seeing dogs in Bunnings, but reading the description that's more than a bit disgusting.’

‘Sorry you have to go through that on your job; (you) couldn't pay me enough to mop up bodily fluids, even a dog’s.’

‘So many dog owners are like that, I swear nothing can make you lose more respect for people than when they treat you as their and their dogs’ personal slave because you work in customer service.’ another shared.

Even other dog owners understood the poster’s plight!

‘I always take my dog, and always will (if allowed). If my dog did anything like that I'd be mortified and would clean it up myself.’ one user shared.

‘I think the issue should really be that "if you have an untrained dog, be prepared to clean up after them" rather than blanket the 99% of owners who have suitable dogs to bring.’

rgsugw.png
Cleaning up after pets is every owner’s responsibility. Credit: Yahoo!/iStock

Some users offered their advice for the poster’s dilemma.

‘Cardboard box in a trolley, dog on cardboard box in said trolley. Saves everyone from having a “s**t” time.’ a user offered.

This prompted a short discussion over claims that cardboards were already given out to pet owners in some Bunnings stores, but as one user put it, ‘not all Bunnings are equal.’

Others though pointed out that the worker was barking at the wrong tree.

One user said: ‘If you don’t want dogs in the store, then why (doesn’t Bunnings) ban it? Blame your company policy.’

Key Takeaways

• A Bunnings store worker took to Reddit to air their frustrations on cleaning up after customers' dogs' faeces and urine.
  • The worker begged for customers to just leave their dogs behind if the pets couldn't be trained or they were too lazy to bring clean-up bags.
  • In reaction to the post, some users sympathised with the tired worker.
  • Others though felt like the worker should be raising the issue to Bunnings' management, and not at customers.
  • Bunnings allows pets in stores, but subject to certain conditions.
Well, what does Bunnings say in regard to bringing pets to stores?

According to the store’s website, pets are allowed on store premises if they’re either carried, secured safely in a vehicle (eg. a trolley), or wearing a muzzle while on a lead.

If the topic seems vaguely familiar to you, that’s probably because it’s not the first time people have talked about why people bring dogs to Bunnings stores, and if the store should allow them in the first place.

In January of 2021, an unrestrained dog mauled another dog to death in a Bunnings store. The offending dog was eventually scheduled to be put down.

Source: YouTube/7News

Let’s just hope that moving forward, pet owners can be considerate of workers the next time they bring their beloved pets along on a shopping trip.

Do you think the poster was right to make their appeal? Tell us your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I agree Cher. These animals are invaluable! They not only need more animals available but more funding as it’s so expensive to train a service dog x
I’m sorry to hear that your son has various issues - and I genuinely mean that. It’s the other people who take their spoiled rotten pooches with them everywhere they go because the little ‘darling baby’ pooch can’t be left without mummy & daddy that I refer to! Not genuine therapy dogs. I sincerely apologise if any of you have a therapy dog that gives you the comfort and assistance you need. My comments were not aimed at you.

Reactions: Tervueren
You're doing your weekly shop at Bunnings and you see a cute little dog trotting around the store with its owner.

You can't help but coo at the sight, and maybe even give the pooch a pat if its owner is okay with it. Dogs in stores just make the shopping experience that much better, right?

Well, not according to one Bunnings worker who has had enough of picking up other people's dog poo and cleaning up wee messes caused by customers’ furry friends.

In a Reddit post, the worker vented their frustration in a thread titled ‘Please, stop bringing your dogs to Bunnings.’

‘I don’t get paid enough to clean up your dog’s p**s and s**t. If you can’t train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don’t care enough to carry poop bags… just don’t bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

View attachment 8306
A viral Reddit post with almost 39,000 upvotes (likes) featured a dog named Barney’s first trip to a Bunnings store. Credit: Reddit

The worker then assured dog owners that their pets will be fine when left at home, and suggested they go on a ‘bush walk’ if they want to take their dogs out so badly.

Understandably, this message was met with mixed reactions from hundreds of other Reddit users, with some quick to jump to the defence of hardworking retail employees.

One sympathetic user said: ‘I was all ready to get sweaty after reading the title as I love seeing dogs in Bunnings, but reading the description that's more than a bit disgusting.’

‘Sorry you have to go through that on your job; (you) couldn't pay me enough to mop up bodily fluids, even a dog’s.’

‘So many dog owners are like that, I swear nothing can make you lose more respect for people than when they treat you as their and their dogs’ personal slave because you work in customer service.’ another shared.

‘I always take my dog, and always will (if allowed). If my dog did anything like that I'd be mortified and would clean it up myself.’ one user shared.

‘I think the issue should really be that "if you have an untrained dog, be prepared to clean up after them" rather than blanket the 99% of owners who have suitable dogs to bring.’

View attachment 8307

‘Cardboard box in a trolley, dog on cardboard box in said trolley. Saves everyone from having a “s**t” time.’ a user offered.

This prompted a short discussion over claims that cardboards were already given out to pet owners in some Bunnings stores, but as one user put it, ‘not all Bunnings are equal.’

One user said: ‘If you don’t want dogs in the store, then why (doesn’t Bunnings) ban it? Blame your company policy.’

Key Takeaways

• A Bunnings store worker took to Reddit to air their frustrations on cleaning up after customers' dogs' faeces and urine.
  • The worker begged for customers to just leave their dogs behind if the pets couldn't be trained or they were too lazy to bring clean-up bags.
  • Others though felt like the worker should be raising the issue to Bunnings' management, and not at customers.

According to the store’s website, pets are allowed on store premises if they’re either carried, secured safely in a vehicle (eg. a trolley), or wearing a muzzle while on a lead.

If the topic seems vaguely familiar to you, that’s probably because it’s not the first time people have talked about why people bring dogs to Bunnings stores, and if the store should allow them in the first place.

In January of 2021, an unrestrained dog mauled another dog to death in a Bunnings store. The offending dog was eventually scheduled to be put down.

Let’s just hope that moving forward, pet owners can be considerate of workers the next time they bring their beloved pets along on a shopping trip.

Do you think the poster was right to make their appeal? Tell us your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!

I don't think dogs should even be allowed in stores. I love my dog but there are boundaries

It isn't the dogs which are the problem, it is the irresponsible owners.
Absolutely agree. Keep your dog under control, clean up after them & no dirty backsides in trolleys that other people will use. You bring your dog, you clean up after them & bring your own antiseptic wipes to clean the trolley!!!

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

I agree dogs should not go into Bunnings or ovals where kids/adults play sport.

Reactions: Jen77au
I agree dogs should not go into Bunnings or ovals where kids/adults play sport.
Pretty sure there are laws in place about sports ovals, just like schools with the exception of assistance dogs. I think dogs should be allowed in Bunnings but owners need to step up and take responsibility! A Lo of tradies who use Bunnings can spend forever in there and let’s face it, it would be a lot worse should they leave their dogs in a hot car for any length of time!

As I’ve previously mentioned, my 14 year old Maltese x Shih Tzu enjoys going to Bunnings. It helps to stimulate his mind and keeps his cognitive abilities through all the smells and sounds. He has a blanket for the trolley as he can’t walk around as much being full of arthritis. But when he does walk around, he has sniffs but he knows his boundaries and is toilet trained. If he did happen to have an accident, I always carry poop bags And antiseptic wipes for the trolleies after I take him out. Should he pee on something, I would do my best to clean up with what I had then find the nearest staff member to ask for assistance. I would never expect anyone to clean up after my dogs! Ever! That goes For anywhere I take them.

I also have a blind 16 year old Maltese. He will pee anywhere another dog has been. I recognise that and know that I can’t take him places like that.

It boils down to commitment and responsibility. A pet is for life, people forget that too. They leave them chained up outside with no interaction at all other than hopefully food and water. They don’t train them and then wonder why they end up with behaviour problems and blame the animal. Owning a pet is a whole lot more than just giving it the essentials.

I just wish more people would look past the cute puppy or kitten faces and realise that. Sadly, they don’t.

• Love
Pretty sure there are laws in place about sports ovals, just like schools with the exception of assistance dogs. I think dogs should be allowed in Bunnings but owners need to step up and take responsibility! A Lo of tradies who use Bunnings can spend forever in there and let’s face it, it would be a lot worse should they leave their dogs in a hot car for any length of time!

As I’ve previously mentioned, my 14 year old Maltese x Shih Tzu enjoys going to Bunnings. It helps to stimulate his mind and keeps his cognitive abilities through all the smells and sounds. He has a blanket for the trolley as he can’t walk around as much being full of arthritis. But when he does walk around, he has sniffs but he knows his boundaries and is toilet trained. If he did happen to have an accident, I always carry poop bags And antiseptic wipes for the trolleies after I take him out. Should he pee on something, I would do my best to clean up with what I had then find the nearest staff member to ask for assistance. I would never expect anyone to clean up after my dogs! Ever! That goes For anywhere I take them.

I also have a blind 16 year old Maltese. He will pee anywhere another dog has been. I recognise that and know that I can’t take him places like that.

It boils down to commitment and responsibility. A pet is for life, people forget that too. They leave them chained up outside with no interaction at all other than hopefully food and water. They don’t train them and then wonder why they end up with behaviour problems and blame the animal. Owning a pet is a whole lot more than just giving it the essentials.

I just wish more people would look past the cute puppy or kitten faces and realise that. Sadly, they don’t.
You sound like a very responsible dog owner. Congratulations! We need more like you. I’ve never had a dog or other pet but I do like seeing these little (& big) animals behaving well, having been trained well by their owners.

I always take my dog to Bunnings but I leave him in the car.
He is big and I would not be able to fit anything else into my trolley if he was in it!! If it is too hot to leave him in the car, he stays at home, in the airconditioning. Nevertheless, when I walk my dog, anywhere, I always wear my DogBag on my hips which contains small treats and several doggy-do bags. My dog, my problem. Why should anyone else have to bother? Oh, and if you see him in the car - it will be the one with all 4 windows wound down 2.5cms or 3 inches. Do not put your hand into my vehicle because apparently, HE BITES ! LoL

• Haha
Reactions: Jen77au
He is big and I would not be able to fit anything else into my trolley if he was in it!! If it is too hot to leave him in the car, he stays at home, in the airconditioning. Nevertheless, when I walk my dog, anywhere, I always wear my DogBag on my hips which contains small treats and several doggy-do bags. My dog, my problem. Why should anyone else have to bother? Oh, and if you see him in the car - it will be the one with all 4 windows wound down 2.5cms or 3 inches. Do not put your hand into my vehicle because apparently, HE BITES ! LoL
Responsible owner - good on ya!

You sound like a very responsible dog owner. Congratulations! We need more like you. I’ve never had a dog or other pet but I do like seeing these little (& big) animals behaving well, having been trained well by their owners.
Thank you. 😊 Our pets are a reflection of us. I wouldn’t expect a human child to behave without being taught right from wrong! (I have ever only had furkids), but they all need to know respect and boundaries. I too wish more people could see that 😊

• Love
That goes without saying! Never approach a dog without asking permission from the owner first! Dogs can be unpredictable for many reasons, fear, anxiety, anything! Please remember this! And I don’t blame your dog for protecting you or your belongings, people need boundaries. I love dogs and would love to pat each and every one of them but I have enough common sense to know not to!

• Love