This Bunnings worker has had enough of cleaning up faeces and made an urgent plea to customers

You're doing your weekly shop at Bunnings and you see a cute little dog trotting around the store with its owner.

You can't help but coo at the sight, and maybe even give the pooch a pat if its owner is okay with it. Dogs in stores just make the shopping experience that much better, right?

Well, not according to one Bunnings worker who has had enough of picking up other people's dog poo and cleaning up wee messes caused by customers’ furry friends.

In a Reddit post, the worker vented their frustration in a thread titled ‘Please, stop bringing your dogs to Bunnings.’

‘Please, for the love of God, stop.’ they began.

‘I don’t get paid enough to clean up your dog’s p**s and s**t. If you can’t train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don’t care enough to carry poop bags… just don’t bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

sekngfbjshagfvb.png
A viral Reddit post with almost 39,000 upvotes (likes) featured a dog named Barney’s first trip to a Bunnings store. Credit: Reddit

The worker then assured dog owners that their pets will be fine when left at home, and suggested they go on a ‘bush walk’ if they want to take their dogs out so badly.

The message was signed: ‘Sincerely, Underpaid Bunnings Worker’.
Understandably, this message was met with mixed reactions from hundreds of other Reddit users, with some quick to jump to the defence of hardworking retail employees.

One sympathetic user said: ‘I was all ready to get sweaty after reading the title as I love seeing dogs in Bunnings, but reading the description that's more than a bit disgusting.’

‘Sorry you have to go through that on your job; (you) couldn't pay me enough to mop up bodily fluids, even a dog’s.’

‘So many dog owners are like that, I swear nothing can make you lose more respect for people than when they treat you as their and their dogs’ personal slave because you work in customer service.’ another shared.

Even other dog owners understood the poster’s plight!

‘I always take my dog, and always will (if allowed). If my dog did anything like that I'd be mortified and would clean it up myself.’ one user shared.

‘I think the issue should really be that "if you have an untrained dog, be prepared to clean up after them" rather than blanket the 99% of owners who have suitable dogs to bring.’

rgsugw.png
Cleaning up after pets is every owner’s responsibility. Credit: Yahoo!/iStock

Some users offered their advice for the poster’s dilemma.

‘Cardboard box in a trolley, dog on cardboard box in said trolley. Saves everyone from having a “s**t” time.’ a user offered.

This prompted a short discussion over claims that cardboards were already given out to pet owners in some Bunnings stores, but as one user put it, ‘not all Bunnings are equal.’

Others though pointed out that the worker was barking at the wrong tree.

One user said: ‘If you don’t want dogs in the store, then why (doesn’t Bunnings) ban it? Blame your company policy.’

Key Takeaways

• A Bunnings store worker took to Reddit to air their frustrations on cleaning up after customers' dogs' faeces and urine.
  • The worker begged for customers to just leave their dogs behind if the pets couldn't be trained or they were too lazy to bring clean-up bags.
  • In reaction to the post, some users sympathised with the tired worker.
  • Others though felt like the worker should be raising the issue to Bunnings' management, and not at customers.
  • Bunnings allows pets in stores, but subject to certain conditions.
Well, what does Bunnings say in regard to bringing pets to stores?

According to the store’s website, pets are allowed on store premises if they’re either carried, secured safely in a vehicle (eg. a trolley), or wearing a muzzle while on a lead.

If the topic seems vaguely familiar to you, that’s probably because it’s not the first time people have talked about why people bring dogs to Bunnings stores, and if the store should allow them in the first place.

In January of 2021, an unrestrained dog mauled another dog to death in a Bunnings store. The offending dog was eventually scheduled to be put down.

Source: YouTube/7News

Let’s just hope that moving forward, pet owners can be considerate of workers the next time they bring their beloved pets along on a shopping trip.

Do you think the poster was right to make their appeal? Tell us your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Your dog, your responsibility.
Your dog can't read so can't be held responsible for irresponsible owners.
Sometimes I think dogs have more common sense than SOME owners, not all.
Yes, service dogs have every right to be with the folks they are assisting....there are many categories these days.
I have slipped in a doggie puddle in Bunnings....not a pleasant experience.
Take your dog to the park for its outing, much more fun than Bunnings.

You're doing your weekly shop at Bunnings and you see a cute little dog trotting around the store with its owner.

You can't help but coo at the sight, and maybe even give the pooch a pat if its owner is okay with it. Dogs in stores just make the shopping experience that much better, right?

Well, not according to one Bunnings worker who has had enough of picking up other people's dog poo and cleaning up wee messes caused by customers’ furry friends.

In a Reddit post, the worker vented their frustration in a thread titled ‘Please, stop bringing your dogs to Bunnings.’

‘I don’t get paid enough to clean up your dog’s p**s and s**t. If you can’t train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don’t care enough to carry poop bags… just don’t bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

View attachment 8306
A viral Reddit post with almost 39,000 upvotes (likes) featured a dog named Barney’s first trip to a Bunnings store. Credit: Reddit

The worker then assured dog owners that their pets will be fine when left at home, and suggested they go on a ‘bush walk’ if they want to take their dogs out so badly.

Understandably, this message was met with mixed reactions from hundreds of other Reddit users, with some quick to jump to the defence of hardworking retail employees.

One sympathetic user said: ‘I was all ready to get sweaty after reading the title as I love seeing dogs in Bunnings, but reading the description that's more than a bit disgusting.’

‘Sorry you have to go through that on your job; (you) couldn't pay me enough to mop up bodily fluids, even a dog’s.’

‘So many dog owners are like that, I swear nothing can make you lose more respect for people than when they treat you as their and their dogs’ personal slave because you work in customer service.’ another shared.

‘I always take my dog, and always will (if allowed). If my dog did anything like that I'd be mortified and would clean it up myself.’ one user shared.

‘I think the issue should really be that "if you have an untrained dog, be prepared to clean up after them" rather than blanket the 99% of owners who have suitable dogs to bring.’

View attachment 8307

‘Cardboard box in a trolley, dog on cardboard box in said trolley. Saves everyone from having a “s**t” time.’ a user offered.

This prompted a short discussion over claims that cardboards were already given out to pet owners in some Bunnings stores, but as one user put it, ‘not all Bunnings are equal.’

One user said: ‘If you don’t want dogs in the store, then why (doesn’t Bunnings) ban it? Blame your company policy.’

Key Takeaways

• A Bunnings store worker took to Reddit to air their frustrations on cleaning up after customers' dogs' faeces and urine.
  • The worker begged for customers to just leave their dogs behind if the pets couldn't be trained or they were too lazy to bring clean-up bags.
  • Others though felt like the worker should be raising the issue to Bunnings' management, and not at customers.

According to the store’s website, pets are allowed on store premises if they’re either carried, secured safely in a vehicle (eg. a trolley), or wearing a muzzle while on a lead.

If the topic seems vaguely familiar to you, that’s probably because it’s not the first time people have talked about why people bring dogs to Bunnings stores, and if the store should allow them in the first place.

In January of 2021, an unrestrained dog mauled another dog to death in a Bunnings store. The offending dog was eventually scheduled to be put down.

Let’s just hope that moving forward, pet owners can be considerate of workers the next time they bring their beloved pets along on a shopping trip.

Do you think the poster was right to make their appeal? Tell us your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!

I don't have young children, but are young children being put in these trolleys after the dogs?

Hi Suzanne
There are many service dogs who do other work than work for the visionally impaired.

Therapy dogs are in greater need than what is available. They open disabled people’s lives up so much! Knowing a few service dogs, one to notify for epilepsy, one for diabetes and two for different mental health issues, these animals are simply amazing and should not be prejudiced against… ever
I agree but other dog owners have to be respectful

My son has a therapy dog and without her, he cannot cope. My son is Autistic and also has other issues and doesn't like to be around people due to his anxiety issues. The need for assistance animals far outway the availability for them as there are very strict criteria to obtain one and the animals themselves are very well trained. We need more of these animals to be available.
My grandson is 13 and severely autistic, I would love for him to have a companion dog but sadly I think he would hurt it.

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

I AGREE DOGS SHOULD 9BE ALOUD AT BUNNINGS OF A WEEKEND OR ANY OTHER DAY

If some dog owners can’t be bothered to clean up messes their dogs make maybe Bunnings could trial having a rule that dogs be kept in a trolley on their own blanket, and the trolley be wiped down when they are leaving. It’s not fair to staff or other customers to chance walking through a mess before noticing it, nor staff having to clean it up.
If there is still a problem then ban dogs except when they are for someone with a disability. Very hard on the majority of good dog owners but that is disgusting for whoever has to clean up.

I know we are not supposed to use it anymore but, Common Sense has to prevail. If you wish to bring your pet into the Bunnings Stores then be prepared to be responsible for it. If it shits, pick up after it. If it pisses, mop up after it. And, make sure you bring the necessary tools to do so. If I was the Manager of the Store I would ensure NO pets were permitted inside; just like any other shop in Wagga Wagga.

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

I am a dog owner ( labrador and a chuhuahua) and I love my dogs...but.. I do NOT take them into any store. My dogs stay at home in a fenced yard. The only exception should be Guide Dogs and Helper Dogs as these are trained dogs (and also needed by their owners). When I walk my dogs, I carry poop bags but I get so annoyed when I come across 1. a dog has S..t on the path and the owner has walked on leaving the mess for anyone else to step in and 2. They had a poop bag, done the right thing by picking up the poop and then they spoil it all by dropping the bag on the edge of the path ... ugh!!

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

My view is that BO pets should be in ANY store.

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

So rude and selfish to leave doggy doos in any store. I agree that if you can't avoid mess (preferable) or at least clean it up, leave the dog at home or outside with someone else.

My grandson is 13 and severely autistic, I would love for him to have a companion dog but sadly I think he would hurt it.
That’s actually an interesting thought as I have a friend with an autistic son who was mean to her cats. However he’d had a pet sheep and was very loving towards him. Every time I visited with my senior rescue dog who had been abused by previous owners, I was wary as Bertie would bite from unknown triggers! This little Pomeranian would sit in his lap for ages as he gently patted him and spoke so gently to him. It surprised even his mum as her son has been known to throw bikes through windows and be quite uncontrollable. I guess it’s finding something they can “gel” with. He now has his own little dog and his behaviour has improved so much. Good luck Suzanne 🤗

Reactions: Ricci
My son has a therapy dog and without her, he cannot cope. My son is Autistic and also has other issues and doesn't like to be around people due to his anxiety issues. The need for assistance animals far outway the availability for them as there are very strict criteria to obtain one and the animals themselves are very well trained. We need more of these animals to be available.
I agree Cher. These animals are invaluable! They not only need more animals available but more funding as it’s so expensive to train a service dog x

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

Well your not banning my well trained therapy dog form Bunnings or any other bloody store or public transit, so jam that between your toes

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

Turned me off going to Bunnings knowing people let their dogs do their "business" in the shops, very unhygienic and I can't see why dogs need to go shopping anyway. Why can't owners take them to a park where they can run, not have them sit in a trolley !!

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci

View attachment 8306

View attachment 8307

Key Takeaways

Why do people feel the need to take their spoiled pooches (regardless of size) into shops with them? One of you needs to stay in the car with the dog. If you are going shopping then the dog needs to stay in the car (with windows down a little for air) or be left at home behind locked gates in the yard. I’ve had some ‘mongrel of a neighbour’ walking down my street taking the chance to put his/her dog’s feaces into MY rubbish bin which hadn’t been taken in whilst we were in hospital!! That’s audacious and disgusting - take your **** home to dispose of it & don’t use our bin ever again. If caught doing it we will follow you home & drop it over your fence without the bag!

Reactions: Tervueren
Well your not banning my well trained therapy dog form Bunnings or any other bloody store or public transit, so jam that between your toes
Therapy dogs do have rights for the owners with those owners having responsibilities of many kinds including cleaning up after them. A form of identification needs to be presented to allow a therapy dog in - not just saying the dog is a ‘therapy dog’. Most people of this unfortunate need are doing the right thing.
Bunnings staff are not paid to clean up after dog owners who think otherwise. I hope owners with ‘spoiled’ pooches who just cannot be left at home start getting banned from all Bunnings stores for thinking your pooch has the same rights to be in a trolley - yuck, those dirty bottoms sitting in the trolley that must eventually carry my purchases at some stage!

Therapy dogs do have rights for the owners with those owners having responsibilities of many kinds including cleaning up after them. A form of identification needs to be presented to allow a therapy dog in - not just saying the dog is a ‘therapy dog’. Most people of this unfortunate need are doing the right thing.
Bunnings staff are not paid to clean up after dog owners who think otherwise. I hope owners with ‘spoiled’ pooches who just cannot be left at home start getting banned from all Bunnings stores for thinking your pooch has the same rights to be in a trolley - yuck, those dirty bottoms sitting in the trolley that must eventually carry my purchases at some stage!
Totally agree.