This bold move solves Medicare and Centrelink backlog: ‘We’re headed in the right direction’

In a remarkable turnaround that's sure to bring relief to countless Australians, Government Services Minister Bill Shorten has announced a significant victory in the battle against the daunting backlog of Medicare and Centrelink claims.

For those caught in the frustrating wait for essential services, this news heralds a new era of efficiency and responsiveness from Services Australia.

The backlog, which once loomed like a mountain over the department, has been dramatically reduced by 66 per cent as of 21 July, from a staggering 1.35 million claims in early February to 460,000.

So, what's the secret behind this success?

shutterstock_1425184634.jpg
Minister Bill Shorten announced victory in the battle against Medicare and Centrelink claims backlog. Credit: Shutterstock

It's a combination of strategic staffing and a commitment to service delivery that makes all the difference.

Late last year, the Federal Government made a decisive move by adding 3,000 permanent staff members to the Services Australia team.

These recruits have processed 1.4 million claims and answered 1.9 million calls.

But the efforts didn't stop there. The government's pledge of $1.8 billion in the 2024-25 Budget to bolster service delivery, which includes funding for an additional 4,030 staff in 2024-25 and 3,530 staff in 2025-26, is already showing promising results.

This investment in human resources is paying off, as evidenced by the significant improvements in processing times across the board.

Let's talk numbers: Paid Parental Leave claims processing times have plummeted by 84 per cent, from 25 days to four days.

Even JobSeeker claims, which have been notoriously delayed, are now being processed 73 per cent faster, down from 22 days to just six.

The impact of these improvements is also felt in customer service. Centrelink calls are being answered around six minutes faster, and Medicare customer calls are seeing a nine-minute improvement compared to January.

The congestion messaging on Centrelink lines has been cut by 58 per cent, and a majority of customers (62 per cent) are being served within 15 minutes at service centres across the nation.

'We absolutely acknowledge the frustration of people waiting for payments, but for the first time in a long time, we are headed in the right direction,’ Shorten stated.

The journey to this point hasn't been easy. In April, Shorten highlighted the department's achievement in halving the backlog by 500,000 in just 10 weeks.

This breakthrough was crucial for Services Australia to gain the upper hand on the pile-up of claims that had been accumulating since January.
Key Takeaways
  • Minister Bill Shorten has announced that Services Australia has significantly reduced the backlog of Centrelink and Medicare claims.
  • The department has cut down processing times for several claims, with some claim wait times being slashed by up to 84 per cent.
  • An additional 3,000 permanent staff members were added last year to improve claim-processing times and access to services.
  • The government has invested $1.8 billion in the 2024-25 Budget to further enhance service delivery, showing early positive results in reducing the backlog and improving wait times.
Have you noticed an improvement in processing times? Are you still facing challenges? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Well unfortunately I am still waiting for my income paperwork of my DSP l have rang three times starting 2nd July to end of July. Just want to get my husbands tax done.
Hopefully things will improve.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I'll believe it when I actually see it.
I must admit though when my husband passed recently they were very efficient.
They managed to have his pension and my carer allowance stopped in all of 30 seconds.
Imagine that, how efficient of them.
Yes l agree they don't muck around with that. My heart and condolences go out to you for the loss of your husband 🙏
Kind regards Vicki

I'll believe it when I actually see it.
I must admit though when my husband passed recently they were very efficient.
They managed to have his pension and my carer allowance stopped in all of 30 seconds.
Imagine that, how efficient of them.
Condolences on your loss.
Keep your chin up
Sincerely
Beautiful Mousey ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Sorry, but the bragging has to stop. I applied in March and retired 1st April. Centrelink are dragging their heels as the ask me for more basic information. I have spoken with them, used the app as requested, they drip feed requests. Eg they have only told me 2 days ago they wanted bank balance statements. Every couple of weeks it is something else. Not one big long list at the beginning but a bit each few weeks. They are out of touch with reality.

My claim for the Seniors Health card was approved in 12 days. When filling out the online application I was advised that claim processing usually took 4 weeks but could be longer in times of peak demand. Quite happy with the turnaround time.

Sorry, but the bragging has to stop. I applied in March and retired 1st April. Centrelink are dragging their heels as the ask me for more basic information. I have spoken with them, used the app as requested, they drip feed requests. Eg they have only told me 2 days ago they wanted bank balance statements. Every couple of weeks it is something else. Not one big long list at the beginning but a bit each few weeks. They are out of touch with reality.
Recently applied for the Age Pension for my wife, 7 weeks, approved before the start date so money in her account on time. Health Care Card was renewed in April, took 3 days.

If they are asking for more records it's because they were not provided a with the application. Follow the instructions, upload all the documents and you should not have problems.

My sister has been trying to get the DSP for over four years now due to a work injury deemed not bad enough for a compensation payout, but that has left her unable to work ever again, a lot of days unable to mobilise very much, some days she can’t get out of bed without assistance. Still she gets a refusal, and yes the refusal comes a little bit quicker than it used to. So the question is are these new staff actually looking at any claims or just sending out refusals because previous claims have been refused? New claims are probably being looked at but my guess is repeating claims are still being rejected, just quicker than previously. There is no data being given on how many claims are being approved as opposed to just another refusal. Stuff the cost of living crisis, let’s just let people living below the poverty line keep doing so.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
My husband and l went into Centre Link last week to apply for my husband to be my full time carer as he has retired to care for me. The woman who served me gave me all the paperwork. As my husband is receiving the cares allowance for me, l asked will you need our financial information? No.
Ok get all the paperwork home look through it of course there is pages to fill out for financial situation. For us it's fairly easy.
I rang Centre Link again yesterday to enquire about my DSP pension. Asked the guy about all this paperwork. He advised me not to post it. Ring back make an appointment to go to our local office, ask them to scan all the paperwork to my account and for us to keep the original paperwork. He also told me l have not had to present my DPS payment to our accountant as an income towards my husbands tax as it's not a taxed payment. I was blown away. Why had the accountant not told me this over the past few years??? Extra stress l have been under making sure everything is above board. Anyway this guy was very very helpful. And l hope l can get this sorted soon as. Also another bum steer the woman at Centre Link told me when my husband gets to 67 he can stay on the carers payment instead of aged care pension. Not correct. The guy explained yesterday he will receive paper work a little time before he turns 67 don't ignore it or your payments will stop.
Always go to an office with a list of questions. Unbelievable one does not know what the other is doing no wonder we all get so stressed dealing with Centre Link.
Kind regards Vicki

That is not correct Vicki. When I reached retirement age I went to Centrelink to see if I needed to change from the Carers Payment.
It is the same amount,but I was advised not to change as I would loose the $600 yearly payment paid to carers
Because both payments are the same amount,stay on the Carer Payment and you will also receive the Carer Allowance to compensate you for being a carer still. You will then get the$600 yearly bonus on each carer payment, or $1200.
Don't change to the Age Pension.
You are being given a bum steer there. That is unless it has changed recently.
Double check, some of these idiots don't have a clue.

Reactions: Gsr
That is not correct Vicki. When I reached retirement age I went to Centrelink to see if I needed to change from the Carers Payment.
It is the same amount,but I was advised not to change as I would loose the $600 yearly payment paid to carers
Because both payments are the same amount,stay on the Carer Payment and you will also receive the Carer Allowance to compensate you for being a carer still. You will then get the$600 yearly bonus on each carer payment, or $1200.
Vicki, I just googled this. What I am telling you is correct if your circumstances haven't changed.
The person receiving the carer payment will get a letter asking them to choose.
As I said you will loose those bonus payments if you choose Age Pension and you gain next to nothing by changing.
Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for your advice.
Unreal you don't know what to do. I shall write down what you have told me and keep that on board for when the time comes.
Centre Link causes me a lot of stress.
Thank you for your kind thoughts and for taking the time to let me know greatly appreciated.
Kind regards Vicki