Goodbye, long waiting times! Centrelink services will now be faster with this major staffing boost

We know that enduring lengthy, time-consuming phone queues or spending hours seeking help at various institutions is nobody’s idea of a good time.

For the many Aussies who depend on services such as Centrelink and Medicare, having easy and dependable customer assistance is a must.

If you’ve been frustrated by extended wait times and difficulty getting the support you need with these services, there's good news—relief is on its way.

The federal government is actively hiring 3,000 recruits to strengthen Services Australia’s frontline in their efforts to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission.

This staffing boost has the potential to improve customer service and reduce call wait times for the millions of Australians who depend on Centrelink and Medicare.

355157206_114859251672048_8146428729228011066_n.jpg
More staff at Medicare and Centrelink will cut call wait times. Image source: Facebook/@ServicesAustralia

According to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten, the additional staff will prevent the recurrence of schemes such as Robodebt.

The Robodebt scheme was initially touted as a cost-saving initiative, utilising automation and algorithms to detect welfare fraud and overpayments.

However, it ultimately served as a cautionary tale, highlighting the risks of replacing human judgment with Automated Decision-Making (ADM) systems.

‘The Liberals wickedly used the illegal Robodebt scheme to decimate contact channels so people could not connect with Services Australia and make complaints,’ Mr Shorten said.

‘The new staff will be critical to reducing call wait times, speeding up claim payments and giving Australians back some time in their busy lives.’

The debt recovery program falsely accused individuals of owing the government money, resulting in the collection of over $750 million from nearly 400,000 Australians.

The final report of the Robodebt Royal Commission in July included a recommendation for the government to ensure ‘easy and efficient engagement options of online, in person, and telephone communication that take into account the specific circumstances of the customer cohort’.

Video source: Facebook/7 News Australia

Before the $228 million recruitment initiative, Services Australia had a lower ratio of public servants per capita than at any other point, following a reduction of 3,800 staff during the previous government’s term.

The newly enlisted personnel will be assigned to facilities in major cities and regional areas, including locations such as Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in New South Wales, Toowoomba and Maryborough in Queensland, and Ballarat and LaTrobe Valley in Victoria.

Over 800 individuals have already commenced their training.

With the Royal Commission report concluded, the hope is that the victims can begin to move forward.

Robodebt leaves behind valuable lessons, particularly in the context of the government’s consultation on Safe and Responsible AI use, emphasising the need for transparency and accountability in ADM systems, regardless of their complexity.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian government will recruit 3000 new staff members for Services Australia’s frontline to lessen call wait times and improve customer service for Centrelink and Medicare users.
  • The staffing boost is part of the government’s action plan to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission, an initiative to prevent schemes like Robodebt from reoccurring.
  • The newly introduced staff will help expedite claim payments and address customer complaints faster, according to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten.
  • The recruits will be deployed in capital cities and regional centres across the country, with over 800 people already having begun their training.
Members, what do you think of this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Hallelujah!!!!

I wonder how long it will actually take.

I applied for DSP back in February and finally got a result in September and having a phone interview 4 weeks earlier...it was declined and the lovely lady who called me explained that they don't approve DSP for indigestion, I asked her to explain and that is what the interviewer had put down.

I went on to explain how I had surgery that was negligent and through that I lost my whole umbilicus plus a large ammount of abdominal wall which is now held together through stitches. I can't bend or lift due to cramping and pain.

I have also been suffering severe depression and anxiety for over two years because of this. I was told they do approve it for depression but prior to 1st April it required a psychiatrist report I had psychologist reports after the 1st April they accepted the psychologist reports, so my question was why did it take 6 months to tell me this, I could have put in a new claim on the 1st April

The lady who called in September told me she was asking for a review because my stomach complaint definitely isn't just indigestion and doesn't know why the lady did that( mind you the first lady was working from home and kept trying to calm her dog)
She also told me to submit a new claim as from the 1st April they accept psychologist reports. She told me to do this incase the review comes back still not approved

Last edited:
About time ! How an essential sevice for those facing crisis ever thought that it was ok to make people wait more than an hour on a phone enquiry and then to sometimes even cut u off, boggles the mind.
Now they just have to replace the automated call screening machines with something that is more user friendly and get rid of the one call per person per day limit.

We know that enduring lengthy, time-consuming phone queues or spending hours seeking help at various institutions is nobody’s idea of a good time.

For the many Aussies who depend on services such as Centrelink and Medicare, having easy and dependable customer assistance is a must.

If you’ve been frustrated by extended wait times and difficulty getting the support you need with these services, there's good news—relief is on its way.

The federal government is actively hiring 3,000 recruits to strengthen Services Australia’s frontline in their efforts to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission.

This staffing boost has the potential to improve customer service and reduce call wait times for the millions of Australians who depend on Centrelink and Medicare.

View attachment 33954
More staff at Medicare and Centrelink will cut call wait times. Image source: Facebook/@ServicesAustralia

According to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten, the additional staff will prevent the recurrence of schemes such as Robodebt.

The Robodebt scheme was initially touted as a cost-saving initiative, utilising automation and algorithms to detect welfare fraud and overpayments.

However, it ultimately served as a cautionary tale, highlighting the risks of replacing human judgment with Automated Decision-Making (ADM) systems.

‘The Liberals wickedly used the illegal Robodebt scheme to decimate contact channels so people could not connect with Services Australia and make complaints,’ Mr Shorten said.

‘The new staff will be critical to reducing call wait times, speeding up claim payments and giving Australians back some time in their busy lives.’

The debt recovery program falsely accused individuals of owing the government money, resulting in the collection of over $750 million from nearly 400,000 Australians.

The final report of the Robodebt Royal Commission in July included a recommendation for the government to ensure ‘easy and efficient engagement options of online, in person, and telephone communication that take into account the specific circumstances of the customer cohort’.

Before the $228 million recruitment initiative, Services Australia had a lower ratio of public servants per capita than at any other point, following a reduction of 3,800 staff during the previous government’s term.

The newly enlisted personnel will be assigned to facilities in major cities and regional areas, including locations such as Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in New South Wales, Toowoomba and Maryborough in Queensland, and Ballarat and LaTrobe Valley in Victoria.

With the Royal Commission report concluded, the hope is that the victims can begin to move forward.

Robodebt leaves behind valuable lessons, particularly in the context of the government’s consultation on Safe and Responsible AI use, emphasising the need for transparency and accountability in ADM systems, regardless of their complexity.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian government will recruit 3000 new staff members for Services Australia’s frontline to lessen call wait times and improve customer service for Centrelink and Medicare users.
  • The staffing boost is part of the government’s action plan to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission, an initiative to prevent schemes like Robodebt from reoccurring.
  • The newly introduced staff will help expedite claim payments and address customer complaints faster, according to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten.
  • The recruits will be deployed in capital cities and regional centres across the country, with over 800 people already having begun their training.
Members, what do you think of this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Well I will believe it when I see it. Would take more than are in training to make any difference to wait times as far as I can see. I have a relative in Centrelink and they are always recruiting so I don’t think this is a magic bullet.

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

What a joke! I CALLED last Tuesday two different numbers, one was a suggested contact number. Both had the same automated machine hooked up, where not only was the phone not picked up but the message told me call couldn't be answered at this time as it was experiencing high volume and no-one believes this to be true and I believe to be a straight out lie

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

WHERE DO YOU APPLY FOR A JOB AS YOU DO NOT NEED A JOB IT WAS BETTER WHEN THEY HAD A SEPERATE DEVISION FOR SENIORS

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

And what of the government perpetrators of the Robodebt scheme? Heads MUST roll!

Reactions: LeahI
Sounds good.
Where are these supposedly 3000 new staff members situated?
I hope they are people living in Australia and not in India, Indonesia or any of the other countries that seem to be employed by Australian companies and governments because they work cheaply.

Well after calling Centrelink Disability from 9.00 am to 5.05 pm we got through - yes sat there all day and redialing the number every 10 minutes to be told they saw the problem and yes we had done what we were supposed to have done but as they were about to go home they would fix it on Monday and that was 2 weeks ago and as far as we are aware the problem is still there and the son's rent assistance has been stopped so next week we are going to try again. Did try to do in office only to be told I had to do it on line or by phone and on line was not an option.

New staff for Port Macqa
urie and Coffs Harbour!!! Wonder if they enjoy living in their cars, these regional centres are facing a major housing shortage.

• Angry
Reactions: particolor

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

OK if it really works

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

It's not before time.
Service is currently beyond belief =none.

Well I will believe it when I see it. Would take more than are in training to make any difference to wait times as far as I can see. I have a relative in Centrelink and they are always recruiting so I don’t think this is a magic bullet.
No it is probably another example of the government saying,”look at us, we are so good, we are fixing Centrelink”. Well I think it will take many more than 3000 to fix it, and since this problem has been ongoing for years why has it taken 18 months for the government to spruik off about fixing it. Must be trying to deflect people’s anger about wasting all that money on the referendum that was doomed to failure from the beginning.

Sounds good.
Where are these supposedly 3000 new staff members situated?
I hope they are people living in Australia and not in India, Indonesia or any of the other countries that seem to be employed by Australian companies and governments because they work cheaply.
Yes let’s hope so, and let’s hope they speak clear enough English that Centrelink customers, especially older customers, can understand what they are saying. I’ve had more than 1 experience talking to someone with an accent who didn’t really speak clear enough English for me to have any idea what they were even saying. So has my grandson.

New staff for Port Macqa
urie and Coffs Harbour!!! Wonder if they enjoy living in their cars, these regional centres are facing a major housing shortage.
Well let’s hope common sense prevails and they employ people who already live in these towns. Otherwise taxpayers will have to fork out exorbitant amounts of money to put them up in motels until the government can find a posh mansion for them to live in, probably at our expense as well.

Reactions: Seren and Fugly
Thank heavens the extra staff have been employed. Just hope governments in the future continue with it. People suicided because of it, and the staff who had to enforce it hated it & some had depression over it then resigned. b****y Coalition.
when you vote in a liberal all you are doing is installing hate

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

Good on Labor trying to fix SCUMO and CO massive F###up but it doesn't bring people back 😢

With the current costs and needs of so many more people relying on some form of assistance to survive, there may be more staff, but what about more contact lines, more access to a more advanced prompt service, and updated procedures? Maybe too much 'small print', full in-boxes and long delays to attend to business.
I have not had any recent reason to contact Centrelink, but some years ago when living in Katoomba, I had a query regarding an inheritance. I remember I was in a queue for a while and watched how many people with so many different requests or queries were standing in line and redirected. Many just walked out with a look of despair or frustration. Now? Could be five or more times the demands with an increased need for social security as is the Public Hospital System in our increased population and severe lack of the infrastructure to cope with what we have, yet the current Government insists on increasing numbers of newcomers. Makes little sense.