Are you waiting on a claim? Services Australia reveals over one million submissions stuck in limbo

The process of applying for government assistance can be daunting, and for many Australians, the wait for much-needed support has become a prolonged ordeal.

Recent revelations have highlighted a significant backlog at Services Australia, with over 1 million claims across various payments yet to be processed as of December 31.

This has left some individuals waiting more than 100 days for approval, a delay that can have serious implications for those relying on these funds.

The backlog was brought to light through new documents released by Services Australia, which also announced the hiring of additional staff to tackle the issue.

The data from these documents paints a picture of the average processing times for claims between September 1 and December 31 of the previous year.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 090947.png
More than a million claims are currently pending processing at Services Australia. Image source: Services Australia

Notably, the Disability Support Pension and Low Income Health Care Card had the longest wait time, averaging 82 days for processing.

The Dad and Partner Pay applicants faced nearly an 80-day wait, while those applying for the Pensions Loan Scheme had about a 70-day wait.

Other payments, such as the Youth Allowance Apprentice, Carer Payment, and Essential Medical Equipment support, required applicants to wait more than 50 days.

Even the more commonly applied for JobSeeker and Paid Parental Leave had average approval times of 27 and 25 days, respectively.

Social Security and Welfare Average Days to Process (1).jpg

However, these averages mask the stark disparities in wait times based on geographic location.

The documents revealed that individuals in regional areas often faced longer delays than those in suburban areas when applying for the Age Pension, with some waiting between 70 and 211 days for approval.

In certain local government areas (LGAs), such as West Arnhem in the Northern Territory, Wandering in Western Australia, and Kangaroo Island in South Australia, the wait times exceeded 100 days.

The Farm Household Allowance, a payment offered to farming families in financial hardship, saw applicants in Barunga West in South Australia waiting an average of 166 days.

Paid Parental Leave also had significant delays in regional areas, with a 62-day wait on the Tiwi Islands and 58 days in Quairading, Western Australia.

One of the most heart-wrenching statistics was the 339-day wait faced by some couples in Strathfield, New South Wales, for support payments after the stillbirth of their baby.

JobSeeker applicants also experienced long wait times, with those in both regional and metropolitan areas, such as Shark Bay and Tammin in Western Australia, and Ryde and Hornsby in Sydney, waiting over 30 days.

Services Australia's CEO, David Hazlehurst, acknowledged the critical nature of reducing the backlog.

‘Resources are not allowing us to deliver the services that we want to deliver,’ he stated.

‘We will see across the next few months, as the 3,000 additional staff come online, we will see an increase in average speed-of-answer across the telephones and we will see a decrease in customers waiting for their claims,’ Hazlehurst added.

Despite these assurances, tens of thousands of claims have waited more than 30 days without resolution.

This includes 26,941 claims for the Age Pension and 29,173 claims for the Disability Support Pension.

There were also 14,919 unresolved claims for Paid Parental Leave, 13,782 for Single Parenting Payment, and 11,171 for Child Care subsidy.

As of February 8th, the government has granted over 50,000 claims for disaster support, paying out more than $62 million.

However, there are still 4,760 disaster payment claims awaiting assessment.

This news comes after it was revealed that in 2023, over seven million phone calls made to Services Australia were not answered but instead received a congestion message.

Services Australia addressed these issues by increasing staff numbers, which is expected to reduce call wait times and improve the processing of claims.

For our members who are currently waiting on a claim or considering applying for government assistance, this situation underscores the importance of submitting your applications as early as possible and ensuring all required documentation is complete and accurate.

Key Takeaways

• Services Australia is experiencing a backlog with over 1 million claims across various payments.
  • Some Australians have experienced wait times exceeding 100 days for the approval of their payments, with regional areas generally facing longer delays than suburban locations.
  • The department has hired an additional 3,000 staff members to help reduce the backlog and improve service delivery, expecting to see faster phone response times and fewer customers waiting for their claims to be processed in the coming months.
  • Tens of thousands of claims for crucial payments like the Age Pension and the Disability Support Pension have not been resolved after 30 days of waiting, indicating a significant pressure point for the agency.

Have you faced long wait times for your claims? How have you managed during the waiting period? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Sponsored
I've been waiting 12 months , they made a mistake and I was told to re apply again end of September while previous claim was under review due to the non centrelink group they used to interview me via the phone making mistakes.

I had surgery to remove my gallbladder, he also removed my umbilical hernia adding recalled mesh , that he stapled to my small and large bowel loops. I had chronic infection . For 7 months this surgeon didn't do anything.
I went to a 2nd surgeon who tried his hardest to clear the infection by lots of keflex , then surgery to clean it out.
Nothing worked so he advised me he needed to remove the mesh which would be major surgery and that's when he saw the mesh was stapled to my bowl

I then had abdominal surgery to fix the first surgeons negligence. I lost my whole umbilicus plus alot of my abdominal wall. My stomach muscles are now held together with large stitches which has caused nerve damage I can lift , I can't bend , I can't sit for along time as I get severe cramping and pain. He needed to stitch it as he couldn't add new mesh due to how bad the infection was.

This has also caused severe depression and anxiety
I've pretty much gone from a very strong energetic woman who loved working to a helpless sick person .

This agency that centrelink used put down that I suffered from Indigestion

My goodness Suzanne Rose, what a huge mess up for you! Negligence all around! 🙏Praying for you and I am sure having this website is a lovely distraction for you. Especially as I find it a welcoming activity all round and just being in contact with people or having a laugh. 😉

My goodness Suzanne Rose, what a huge mess up for you! Negligence all around! 🙏Praying for you and I am sure having this website is a lovely distraction for you. Especially as I find it a welcoming activity all round and just being in contact with people or having a laugh. 😉
To be honest being on here has saved me. I'm in contact with a few people on here and have made great friends . I feel none of my friends understand what I'm going through and can't understand why I nolonger go out with them or visit. They don't understand depression and when I see most of them I see the pity in their faces , which is why when they invite me over or they want to visit I'm busy.
Where as a lot of people on here know exactly what I'm going through.

I've been waiting 12 months , they made a mistake and I was told to re apply again end of September while previous claim was under review due to the non centrelink group they used to interview me via the phone making mistakes.

I had surgery to remove my gallbladder, he also removed my umbilical hernia adding recalled mesh , that he stapled to my small and large bowel loops. I had chronic infection . For 7 months this surgeon didn't do anything.
I went to a 2nd surgeon who tried his hardest to clear the infection by lots of keflex , then surgery to clean it out.
Nothing worked so he advised me he needed to remove the mesh which would be major surgery and that's when he saw the mesh was stapled to my bowl

I then had abdominal surgery to fix the first surgeons negligence. I lost my whole umbilicus plus alot of my abdominal wall. My stomach muscles are now held together with large stitches which has caused nerve damage I can lift , I can't bend , I can't sit for along time as I get severe cramping and pain. He needed to stitch it as he couldn't add new mesh due to how bad the infection was.

I've pretty much gone from a very strong energetic woman who loved working to a helpless sick person .

OMG Suzanne, what have they done to you. Sounds like negligence to me. Hope you have spoken to a solicitor.Keep your chin up I love reading your posts. 😘💐

To be honest being on here has saved me. I'm in contact with a few people on here and have made great friends . I feel none of my friends understand what I'm going through and can't understand why I nolonger go out with them or visit. They don't understand depression and when I see most of them I see the pity in their faces , which is why when they invite me over or they want to visit I'm busy.
I know the feeling, Suzanne. And to be honest, I'm happier staying at home on the computer or reading my Kindle.

Hi I applied for the Disability Pension on 6/6/2023 and I am still waiting! I live in Regional Queensland, I have been following up with visits to Centrelink and phone calls ( which the wait times were up to 1 & 1/2 hours each time on the phone!) Each time I am advised it is in process!

"but instead received a congestion message" As with every single privatised utility company I have called in the last few years. Just an excuse not to employ enough staff to provide the service we pay for.

I am so sorry for all your suffering. I am facing the possibility of hernia surgery and in the public system. It makes me wonder what will happen. I feel for you and pray that you may get some sort of relief and that Centrelink will come to the party. Good luck.

The whole myGov system is a joke. Grandson is trying to get his ATO account linked back to his myGov. It was linked, then for some unknown reason got unlinked. Now he just gets an error when he tries to even access his ATO. Lots of phone calls to the taxation lines, well we don’t have to hang on forever, a recorded voice states they are busy, try again later and plonks the phone down, hangs up on us. This is disgusting service. Doesn’t matter what number we ring, or what time the response is the same.
As for the wait times it makes me wonder why the parenting payment is given priority over most of the other payments. Most people on parenting payment still have an income from other sources, people needing pensions etc. generally have no other income. Services Australia have obviously got their priorities all wrong, probably the government wanting to keep in the good books with that age group hoping to keep their vote. Never mind the rest of us poor old taxpayers who are funding the so called “baby bonus” free child care etc etc. while we can’t even get enough help to live above the poverty line.

Reactions: Rob44
OMG Suzanne, what have they done to you. Sounds like negligence to me. Hope you have spoken to a solicitor.Keep your chin up I love reading your posts. 😘💐
It's in solicitor's hand now and is coming to a closure .
My daughter who is a surgical nurse and showed the reports to a couple of the surgeons and they said what he did to me was virtually impossible, I'm lucky I'm not dead through septus

• Wow
Reactions: Rob44, Liz and DLHM

You are still a very strong woman @Suzanne rose. So unfair that you have become another victim to gross incompetence! I hope you’ll get that bloody Centrelink fiasco sorted very soon!

The last thing a person suffering from depression/anxiety wants is pity. There are so many people who haven’t a clue about any form of mental illness or disorder, and they don’t want to know.

There’s a person I know who often says that saying, “Build a bridge and get over it.” She’d have to be the most self centred person I know. I actually pity her because of her ignorance and narrow mindedness.

I wish you the best outcome possible. ❤️

I'm so sorry you had to go through this horrible stuff up by your first surgeon. It's bad enough what happened to you and the pain and depression you're going through now without centrelink making huge mistakes.
I pray that you'll feel better soon and centrelink will get something RIGHT. Please stay positive.

I am so sorry for all your suffering. I am facing the possibility of hernia surgery and in the public system. It makes me wonder what will happen. I feel for you and pray that you may get some sort of relief and that Centrelink will come to the party. Good luck.
Ask your doctor if he is using mesh and if so what mesh is he using . Then research if the mesh he is using is ok .

I went private, private hospital ect and the mesh they used was recalled 3 years before my surgery. My surgery was Nov 2019 , the mesh was known to stick to organs and cause infection but double whammy the surgeon stapled it to my bowel.

Remember it's your right to ask questions and they have to answer you , doesn't matter if you are going private or public

I'm so sorry you had to go through this horrible stuff up by your first surgeon. It's bad enough what happened to you and the pain and depression you're going through now without centrelink making huge mistakes.
I pray that you'll feel better soon and centrelink will get something RIGHT. Please stay positive.
Thank you for your kind words

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji