This Aussie Mum tested Woolies & ALDI's super cheap dishwasher products - you won't believe what happened next!

When it comes to household cleaning products, it’s not always better to buy the expensive product. That’s what one Aussie mum recently learned when she decided to put 2 of the cheapest options from the major supermarkets to the ultimate test.

For the experiment, the mum pitted Woolworths' Shine Powder (priced at $3.90) against ALDI's Logix Dishwashing Tablets (only $7.49 for a 40-pack), and then proceeded to compare the results.

image2.png
Woolworths’ Shine Powder and ALDI’s Logix 18-in-1 Dishwashing Tablets. Image: Facebook / @Mums Who Clean.

After trying out both products for a few weeks, the mum soon noticed that one was considerably more satisfactory than the other – and surprisingly, it was the cheaper and more budget-friendly of the two!

Posting her findings on the popular Facebook group Mums Who Clean, the savvy shopper wrote:

'I’ve been using the ALDI 18-in-1 dishwashing tablets for the last few weeks to see if it’s worth switching from what we use. I find the cheap Shine dishwashing powder with rinse aid to be more effective. The rinse aid in the ALDI one lets it down.'

Unsurprisingly, her comments sparked a full-on discussion among other members of the group, with many of them agreeing that Shine Powder seemed to be the superior option.

One commenter said, 'The Shine powder is fantastic. No more of that gross slime in the filter from tablets'.

Another said, 'I use the Shine, the ALDI one I find leaves powder on dishes'. Some other rave reviews were, 'Shine is awesome, only one I buy' and 'I find that Shine is the best in my drawer dishwasher, every other brand is crap.'

image1.png

Clean dishes after using Woolworths’ Shine Powder. Image: Facebook / @Mums Who Clean.

However, there were a handful of people who reported having just as good, if not better, results from the ALDI tablets. They admitted that 'the ALDI tablets for years and never had a problem' and that 'the ALDI one is actually really good'.

So, it looks like you can't make blanket statements about which product is the champion – but at least trial-and-error has a very low cost at Woolworths and ALDI!

That being said, it's also worth mentioning that with regular dishwashing tablets costing up to $72 a pack at some Australian supermarkets, you could be saving some money if you go with the more wallet-friendly options.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian mum has tested two of the cheapest dishwasher cleaning products, Woolworths' Shine Powder and ALDI's Logix Dishwashing Tablets, to compare their performance.
  • She posted her results on the Mums Who Clean Facebook page, stating the Shine powder was more effective than the ALDI tablets.
  • Many users agreed with the mum's findings, praising the Shine powder for its effectiveness and avoiding leaving a residue.
  • Some users disagreed and said that they have had positive experiences with the ALDI tablets and it also worked fine for them.

That said, SDC members don't like to go on recommendations alone (while we always make sure to do our due diligence), so it's no wonder this Aussie mum decided to run her own experiments too.

If you're ever shopping for cleaning products and find yourself debating the pros and cons of an expensive versus inexpensive option (which dishes up a large array of options these days), we recommend doing some research and getting first-hand experience with the product or talking to folks who've tried it out for themselves.

At the very least, you'll be doing your due diligence and feel more comfortable spending your hard-earned cash! If you're on the lookout for some potential dishwasher cleaning savings, why not give the Woolies Shine powder and the ALDI tablets a try for yourself and decide which one suits your needs best? You'll have to let us know what you think when you're done!

Sponsored
When it comes to household cleaning products, it’s not always better to buy the expensive product. That’s what one Aussie mum recently learned when she decided to put 2 of the cheapest options from the major supermarkets to the ultimate test.

For the experiment, the mum pitted Woolworths' Shine Powder (priced at $3.90) against ALDI's Logix Dishwashing Tablets (only $7.49 for a 40-pack), and then proceeded to compare the results.

View attachment 33948
Woolworths’ Shine Powder and ALDI’s Logix 18-in-1 Dishwashing Tablets. Image: Facebook / @Mums Who Clean.

After trying out both products for a few weeks, the mum soon noticed that one was considerably more satisfactory than the other – and surprisingly, it was the cheaper and more budget-friendly of the two!

Posting her findings on the popular Facebook group Mums Who Clean, the savvy shopper wrote:

'I’ve been using the ALDI 18-in-1 dishwashing tablets for the last few weeks to see if it’s worth switching from what we use. I find the cheap Shine dishwashing powder with rinse aid to be more effective. The rinse aid in the ALDI one lets it down.'

Unsurprisingly, her comments sparked a full-on discussion among other members of the group, with many of them agreeing that Shine Powder seemed to be the superior option.

One commenter said, 'The Shine powder is fantastic. No more of that gross slime in the filter from tablets'.

Another said, 'I use the Shine, the ALDI one I find leaves powder on dishes'. Some other rave reviews were, 'Shine is awesome, only one I buy' and 'I find that Shine is the best in my drawer dishwasher, every other brand is crap.'

View attachment 33949

Clean dishes after using Woolworths’ Shine Powder. Image: Facebook / @Mums Who Clean.

However, there were a handful of people who reported having just as good, if not better, results from the ALDI tablets. They admitted that 'the ALDI tablets for years and never had a problem' and that 'the ALDI one is actually really good'.

So, it looks like you can't make blanket statements about which product is the champion – but at least trial-and-error has a very low cost at Woolworths and ALDI!

That being said, it's also worth mentioning that with regular dishwashing tablets costing up to $72 a pack at some Australian supermarkets, you could be saving some money if you go with the more wallet-friendly options.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian mum has tested two of the cheapest dishwasher cleaning products, Woolworths' Shine Powder and ALDI's Logix Dishwashing Tablets, to compare their performance.
  • She posted her results on the Mums Who Clean Facebook page, stating the Shine powder was more effective than the ALDI tablets.
  • Many users agreed with the mum's findings, praising the Shine powder for its effectiveness and avoiding leaving a residue.
  • Some users disagreed and said that they have had positive experiences with the ALDI tablets and it also worked fine for them.

That said, SDC members don't like to go on recommendations alone (while we always make sure to do our due diligence), so it's no wonder this Aussie mum decided to run her own experiments too.

If you're ever shopping for cleaning products and find yourself debating the pros and cons of an expensive versus inexpensive option (which dishes up a large array of options these days), we recommend doing some research and getting first-hand experience with the product or talking to folks who've tried it out for themselves.

At the very least, you'll be doing your due diligence and feel more comfortable spending your hard-earned cash! If you're on the lookout for some potential dishwasher cleaning savings, why not give the Woolies Shine powder and the ALDI tablets a try for yourself and decide which one suits your needs best? You'll have to let us know what you think when you're done!
A dishwasher uses too much water and if it has a hot rinse cycle a lot of electricity.
I buy Mr dishwashing liquid by the 25l drum, dilute it by 10% and that will last me 2 years.

View attachment 33948

View attachment 33949

Key Takeaways

As I have said before about products - especially this type - how well they work will depend on the water - hot,cold, town,bore or tank . Plus where you live - which gives hard or soft water. One size does not fit all - and some may not be able to use a cheaper option as the content will not suit .

Our LG dishwasher developed a fault OE denoting the final pump out wasn't working so after trying all the DIY remedies on line I bit the bullet and got a repair man down and that cost $145 he said it was full of soap so we put it through 50 washes without the cheap Aldi dishwasher things but a few days later we had him back and for $160 he fitted a new pump so we will not buy the Aldi product again.

Reactions: Penny4 and Ezzy

View attachment 33948

View attachment 33949

Key Takeaways

I always wanted to keep it a secret, for fear of the supermarkets running out of stock. I have been using Shine tablets for ages. When I have VERY DIRTY CROCKERY/CUTLERY I ADD AN EXTRA TABLET. Still way cheaper than the fancy packed equivalent. In my old age I now suffer with eczema from hand washing . Using gloves does not help. By the way I only wash on the fast setting. Using far less hot water.
Fred residing in Menora WA

View attachment 33948

View attachment 33949

Key Takeaways

We have been using Aldi ( Logic ) tablets for 5 years now and Finish liquid drier and they are far better than the so called leading brands that are over rated and very very expensive, we highly recommend the Aldi Logic brand .

Reactions: 1Jude and Observer

View attachment 33948

View attachment 33949

Key Takeaways

This tester is way behind the times. I been using these tablets for about 2 years.

I have only ever used a dish washer once and decided that for packing it then the 1 hour cycle then unpacking it and then having to dry the dishes, to me is a waste of time. I cook dinner fill sink with hot water eat dinner wash the dishes dry and put away takes 15 - 20 mins and uses less water . I use the Mother Earth dish washing liquid and 1 bottle lasts me around 3 - 4 months and costs $2.35 from Coles, so do the maths. Has been proven that a dishwasher uses far more water than a sink full of hot water.

Reactions: magpie1 and basham
Thanks for this. After reading that the Aldi tablets were supposed to be so great, I switched to them. Haven't been that happy with them. Will give the Woolies powder a shot. If only it came in a cardboard box instead of a plastic bottle

Reactions: 1Jude and magpie1
I am so sick f everyone trying to discredit Aldi and making out Woolworths is better only to make sure everyone buys at the fresh food people from dish washing tablets to tooth picks Aldi is much better then Woolworths & Cole’s please stop trying to make out Aldi is bad because I am fed up with it okay

Each to his/her own. I shop at Coles and occasionally ALDIs and I have no complaints coz I only buy mostly specials of half price items except of course the staples like milk and bread!

Reactions: 1Jude and basham

View attachment 33948

View attachment 33949

Key Takeaways

I use Aldi tablets at 16c a wash, very good product. Was rated by Choice a couple of years back as being the best value for money..

Reactions: basham

View attachment 33948

View attachment 33949

Key Takeaways

you stick to your way and i will stick to mine. dishwasher does not get dirty dishes added.

Reactions: basham
Funny you should mention about trouble with your dishwasher due to the aldi tablets.Family member had new Miele dishwasher and only used Alfie's tablets.Started having trouble with the filters too and was worth$2500.Technicians came out and said "let me guess Aldi tablets?? Don't ever use them they will clog up not only your filters but your hoses,we should know we see it all the time.Only use finish,and any of them will do even just the basic all in one ,with a little rinse aid in dispenser is better than the cheap clogging ingredients in the ALDI ones".Just passing on.......

Funny you should mention about trouble with your dishwasher due to the aldi tablets.Family member had new Miele dishwasher and only used Alfie's tablets.Started having trouble with the filters too and was worth$2500.Technicians came out and said "let me guess Aldi tablets?? Don't ever use them they will clog up not only your filters but your hoses,we should know we see it all the time.Only use finish,and any of them will do even just the basic all in one ,with a little rinse aid in dispenser is better than the cheap clogging ingredients in the ALDI ones".Just passing on.......
I thought it was just my dishwasher that couldn't handle Aldi tablets, but apparently not.
They made a thick white film/coating all around the inside walls. I had to do 3 cleaning cycles before I could see the stainless steel. Not long after that, the heat pump needed replacing. Soapy water was sitting on the bottom after a cycle, and not draining. That wasn't cheap, as it's a German made Bosch. I have zero issues with Finish powder and their fragrance free rinse aid. I don't need to use much powder either, as it's a premium product.

Last edited:
Reactions: basham and Oaklegs
I agree only ever used finish,my dishwasher is 19years old.One of the first stainless steel Westinghouse Dishlex dishwashers and quite expensive at the time .Still going strong,rubbers good no glogged anything,no build up.I can only swear by what I have always used.

View attachment 33948

View attachment 33949

Key Takeaways

I do think it can depend on the type of dishwasher you have. I was using a gel from an MLM company. Worked well for awhile then the build up came. Spent time cleaning the filter and had to use another produce once a fortnight to clean it. I ditched the MLM as I felt that since covid the products have lost quality. I bought Shine as it was cheap and a powder for a change. Wonderful product. No cleaning out the filter every day, no nasty smell, no deglazing. I have a dish drawer which I'm not that keen on

Reactions: Penny4 and Oaklegs