The TRUTH behind why Aussies may opt for fast-food restaurants over a grocery run

Australia’s cost of living crisis continues to worsen as soaring prices make healthier options much more expensive than fast-food meals. The Consumer Price Index (a measure of inflation based on a standard basket of goods) revealed that Australians’ grocery baskets are one of the biggest casualties.

According to the latest data, fruits and vegetables cost, on average, 6.7% more than this time last year and certain items have soared way more. Among those is cucumber, which went from $2.20 to $3.70 this year, while a head of lettuce retails for $5.50 – more expensive than a Mcdonald’s cheeseburger that costs $4.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) stated that fruit and vegetable prices have reached dire heights as supply chains were affected by the COVID pandemic. Border closures, loss of farmworkers, floods, and international conflict (increasing fuel and transport costs) are all also partly to blame for the statistics.

The country’s annual inflation jumped to 5.1 percent last April – a record high in 22 years – as wage growth remains at a standstill and the demand for essential goods exceeds supply due to the factors mentioned.

yNrWi2C7NLWN5m0Qzqx8dsZTajRDhMVnFEfBXJdM5USabfAUCoOxD36KxjebuX5jD_erZ1vGecmE4kVJLLhbYvBnRSP3ZUlDM3FRyGYQXhhNmVNHJUgZtZMx6BXOzVe11DYNOWrJTc2zEt99-w

Image Credit: Science News for Students

Meanwhile, takeaway meals only went up by 0.7 percent. The ABS explained that fast-food items did not increase as much as grocery items thanks to government subsidies and voucher programs in New South Wales and Victoria.

The COVID-19 pandemic prompted us to prioritise our attention mainly on recovering, resulting in the government struggling to build sustainable food systems that support healthy and affordable diets for all, which is one of the most crucial actions for public health.

But do vegetables and fruits actually cost you more than unhealthy options? There are several debates on the subject and the verdict usually comes down to how you measure what constitutes ‘healthy food’ and who you talk to.

Not everyone can afford a healthy diet. For people on low incomes, healthy diets take up about a quarter of their disposable income (which is the money that comes into their household after taxes, available to be either spent or saved).

A recent study showed that one in four Australians admitted that buying groceries is a big financial stressor, stating: “Worryingly, a quarter of Australians (25%) say their grocery bill is one of their most stressful expenses.”

And the sad reality is that this state of affairs won’t get better any time soon for everyday people.

“People look at cost first and foremost… A bag of chips only costs $1.75 while carrots, hummus and celery amount to $6 or $7. I know what I’m going to pick if I’m in a pinch – and it’s definitely not the healthy choice.” said one single mother living in Victoria.

Another added: “My little girl likes raspberries and blueberries. And I like her to have them, they’re brain food. But they range from $4 to $7 for a punnet and that’s a huge portion of our weekly income.”

RhHJPBr41VYHphtJvY3L4beU6VSnWGfzUPTLNZwWXGnwUTV_ZAlknQGtkZE_tmkJFj5U9ckMho_mB2-KxEfgUC5Df35llEfu2IOJ-E4rAKmf9QLqla3Z8QGTzHZKhyHnesF3y5MWOVIXli6wSw

Image Credit: The Australian

The truth is, all the nutritional knowledge in the world doesn’t matter if we can’t actually afford healthy food.

Supermarket specials can make unhealthy, ultra-processed foods and drinks look like good value for money and this pattern is especially effective for those on low incomes. And if you factor in the time consumed, buying takeaway foods can be more convenient and time-saving… Even if regular consumption of these can cost us our health in the long run.

And to make things worse, talk about withdrawing the Goods and Services Tax (GST) exemption on fresh fruit and vegetables have been brewing.

The Aboriginal-led Bagala Community Store (located in the Northern Territory) proved what’s possible by setting healthier supermarket pricing standards. When more specials were placed on fruits and vegetables, their consumption rose to a whopping 100%.

Healthy diets will only be affordable for all Australians if government income supports are lifted above the poverty line.

Research conducted at the beginning of the pandemic showed that for the first time, JobSeeker made healthy diets affordable for people on low incomes… But the payments were revoked later on and people were thrown back into poverty.

Along with the rising housing costs, it’s unsurprising that those who depend on government assistance now can’t buy food let alone opt for a healthy diet.

The spike in our food prices only unveiled how vulnerable our food system really is.

“The reality of our situation is that a box of 10 chicken nuggets from a fast-food outlet is currently cheaper than an iceberg lettuce,” Dieticians Australia Chief executive Robert Hunt said.

“Who would blame a family with $5 for choosing one over the other?”

“This is a systemic problem where highly marketed, nutrient-poor, and energy-dense foods are often seemingly cheaper and more accessible than fresh nutritious options.”

What are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments.

Want to learn more about this issue? Watch the video below!

Video Credit: Household Cures

Sponsored
On the odd occasion when I go to town I always buy a couple of Chinese Takeaway lunches, they usually cost $9 each but each one lasts me two days for dinner. I tend to think that they are marginally better for you than the traditional fast food and they add a little taste difference to my diet. If not that I opt for Subway for the same reason, I can fool myself that it's healthy!!:)

Frozen or canned fruit and vegetables could be an alternative. We always buy frozen or can when the fresh fruit and veggies are too expensive. The photo of the $1 burger is amusing, in case people haven’t noticed the burgers are getting smaller and there is no way that you can convince me that a healthy adult can survive on one tiny burger alone, they will get the chips, upgrade add an extra burger and most likely get the apple pie. The $1 burger is to get you into the store then they hit you with the rest and before you know it you have gone over you budget.

🤣🤣🤣 or maybe, just maybe, a lot of people are like me & get fed up cooking every night but don't really feel inspired to go out to a restaurant/pub because a) it would mean getting dressed up & b) the pandemic is not yet over so I limit my physical interactions with others ..... but hey, fast food is doable on rare occasions & sometimes I even drive to a scenic spot for the extra treat !

Reactions: Ricci
Looking through supermarket catalogues shows that most specials are not for "healthy" foods - they seem to be on snacks, chips, biscuits, sausage rolls, pies etc. These are the things people like to eat and they are encouraged to buy more and more of them.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Australia's cost of living challenges are certainly affecting people's food choices. It's concerning that healthier options have become more expensive than fast food due to the rising prices of fruits and vegetables. It's essential for individuals and families to find ways to make nutritious choices despite these challenges. Have you considered exploring homemade alternatives, like making Korean Corn Dogs at home? It can be a fun and economical way to enjoy a tasty treat while still prioritizing your health. Making informed choices is key, especially when it comes to maintaining a balanced diet in a changing landscape.