Growing up in the 1950’s with no TV or electronic devices. You always made your own fun. Lived in Glenholm St. Mitchelton, a Brisbane suburb. While it was suburbia, we only had to walk 1km or so, cross Kedron Brook (we called a Mitchy Creek), and we were in the bush. We had the best of all worlds. No sewerage, bitumen roads, curbing or channeling. The “Dunny” man came every week, and I would follow him up the street, carrying a can on my shoulder, just as he did. I always wanted to be a Dunny Man. Cracker (Guy Faulkes) night blowing up letter boxes of people you disliked, unknown to mum, or so we thought.
Rode you push bike into Brisbane City on Saturday afternoons, unknown to mum, again, so we thought.
What a childhood.
You would dare not let your kids do that today. All like it was in another life.

Kev
I had similar experiences growing up in Mt Kuring-gai North of Hornsby, NSW. We called neighbours and friends parents "Aunty or Uncle." We were a bushland community, and loved growing up there.

My most cherished memory of my childhood, (besides playing marbles in the gutter with the other children in our street) has to be going to the movies. My Dear Friend, Jan, who lived next door, was just a bit younger than me, and also loved going to the movies. Either my Father, or her Father would drive us there each Saturday. Back then they showed a cartoon, an episode of a serial, maybe a newsreel and then the main movie. I think sometimes we were lucky to see two movies.
We would always have 2 shillings to spend. It would cost 1 shilling admittance, and at interval we would buy an icecream or lollies for sixpence. Then once the show was finished we would walk from Bentleigh, back home to East Bentleigh. This would take us over an hour, but the best part of all was, we had sixpence left to buy some hot chips to eat on the way home. They would be wrapped in paper and we would tear a hole in the top which would keep the chips warm as we ate the top ones. We would also get a small bag of the crispy bits that the the shop owner scooped from the hot oil. Usually these were thrown away so we got them for free. I am still friends with Jan and have been for over 60 years. We can't walk that far these days but still love the cinema.

We lived near a golf course and on the weekends we'd sneak in and play in the little pockets of old-growth forest. We'd climb those massive pine trees to the top and enjoy the spectacular views over our suburb, and back on the ground, we'd look for the developing tadpoles in the little ponds. Always watching out for the "Greenie" just made our afternoons exploring nature more exciting! The security fences are too high to scale nowadays. You know, I've met children who have never climbed a tree! Lois.

Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

"What has Australia lost to time that you want to bring back?"
"What do you miss most about the Australia you grew up in?"
"How do you think your childhood was different to your kids/grandkids?"

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852

I can recall in detail our tanned 'Bill the Breadman' with his cane basket, shorts with skinny legs, leather fold-over bag attached to his waist rattling with coins. That unforgettable overpowering smell of fresh bread. As Bill arrived on the backstep of the kitchen door, always friendly, sweating from running, always with time for a quick chat as Mum made him routinely an orange cordial in a long glass that he gulped down in one go. The joke in the family was when my little brother Peter called him Dad. Not surprisingly Dad was away a lot, So why not call "Bill" Dad?

I grew up in a small coatal town, during 1945 - 1954, in NSW. We could go anywhere, leave the house unlocked, and as we had no bridge across the river, we would swim (self taught) across to wander through the heath. We could play rounders or cricket in the spare blocks of ground near our houses. There were free concerts during the Xmas holidays put on by amateur artists and volunteer workers. Then there was a free bus to other towns after the concert for anyone who wanted to see the concerts. We could walk anywhere we wanted to go, and it was easy for the children to do the shopping for our parents. I believe it was an idyllic childhood.

SLSC was an important part of my life from age 5 yrs.
We learnt to surf on foam boards. Brings back fond and active memories of 1972
I was one of nine ~the first SLSC Radio Operators.

Attachments

• 1st Dec 2019 ~ 17th Dec 2019 374.JPG
    1st Dec 2019 ~ 17th Dec 2019 374.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 4
We came to Australia when I was 7, I remember moving around a lot due to dad's job, but then we finally settled in WA in a suburb called Morley Park, from our front verandah and front lawn we could see the drive-in screen, but what I remember most is on the hot balmy nights mum and dad would drag our bed mattresses outside for my brother and I to lay on and watch whatever movie was on in the drive-in even though we couldn't hear anything, mum and dad didn't appear worried or concerned, we just laid there until the wee hours and then go back inside, it was fun.

My most precious memory as a child is standing on my father’s feet while he danced to the old cylinder gramophone. We used to have a lot of blackouts in the 50s and 60s, and so he would crank up the old machine to amuse us. My mother used to play classical records and music by Rogers and Hammerstein after we went to bed at night. I remember it was a lovely way to go to sleep.

I remember as a child accompanying my doctor dad on some of his home visits to see sick patients after hours, and where he would sometimes be paid in cakes and groceries. There was no Medicare!!!! People paid what they could and were so appreciative of his care. It was a barter system that worked in hard times, and maybe could again if more formally structured, where people registered their “barter” to gain credits to be used on goods & services.

I remember when, as kids, we could go out at night safely without getting taken or attacked. We could go shopping and leave the front door open. Dad could pull up at the shops and leave the engine running in the car and no one would steal it. Now, I wouldn't go around Mandurah on my own at night for fear of being attacked. Oh, for those good old days.

Reactions: Macarj
Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852
When TV's were only just being sold. Stores would face the TV towards the street and leave them turned on at night. We would gather around at night to watch our favorite shows, Im sure this helped their sales. Now thats something our kids of today would find funny!

Reactions: Macarj

View attachment 3852

I miss Luna Park the way it was when I was a child, some 60 years ago. Living in the bush, it was such great excitement to go to "Sydney". We would catch a ferry that travelled under the Harbour Bridge to that wonderfully magical place filled with fairy lights and music. The Merry-go-Round with my favourite horses was such a joy to ride. Also, the spinning tea cups and bumper cars were so exciting. We would end up at night, riding the Ferris Wheel to say good-bye until next year. It was so, so special to me.

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
In the street where I grew up, all families knew each other and kids referred to adults as Auntie/ Uncle/ Mr or Mrs...
After tea the kids (sometimes up to 20) ranging in ages 2 - 16 year old, would play and the Mum's mainly, would gather & chat. The older children always watched out for young ones.
We could also wander in & out of neighbours homes (doors unlocked) just yell out to announce our visit. The adults had no quarms about disciplining us too (never smack) "I'll tell your Mum. & Dad when they get home" was a threat that would keep us well behaved.
It was a caring, safe, family environment. Loved my childhood.

As an eight year old I remember the day when they announced the end of World War Two.
There was such laughter tears of joy and celebration wherever you went
People where partying and dancing in the streets.
I was a little bewildered by this grownup behaviour but the joy of seeing so much happiness has never left me

Catherine the Great