The next A Current Affair host: Who's likely to replace Tracy Grimshaw? Here are the top candidates.

Tracy Grimshaw's sudden decision to step down and take a much-needed break from her hosting duties on the Nine Network's A Current Affair has caused a stir among viewers and those associated with the show.

'It's been a big decision and before the gossip websites start telling you rubbish, I want you to know it's been my decision alone and I'm not being shoved out the door by the boys' club because I'm too old,' the veteran broadcaster announced on the show on the 5th September.

'I'm not too old, I'm just a bit tired,' said Ms Grimshaw, who has been working for Channel Nine for over 40 years. With all of the time she has spent working, she has concluded that it's time to spend more time with her loving family.

'I've basically been a shift worker for 26 years, taking away precious time that I should have spent with my family,' she continued.

'I've talked to people who've made us all laugh and cry, who've shared their triumphs and their challenges and their wisdom and despair.'

'And because it's your show, not mine and you get to vote each night with your remote control, you told us you wanted more of that. So, thank you for that opportunity, thank you for your loyalty, I hope I've repaid it.'

Ms Grimshaw’s replacement is yet to be determined, but insiders have divulged to The Australian that Nine has been looking outside of their network for the perfect host to replace Tracy, with The Project's Carrie Bickmore and Samantha Armytage, among others, as possible candidates for the position.

Ms Bickmore’s contract with Channel Ten is reportedly due to expire at the end of the year, and she is undecided as to whether she wants to return for another year. Armytage, on the other hand, was previously mentioned as a possible next host but she is now apparently 'not a good fit' for the network.

Others in the running for the post include A Current Affair stand-in host Sylvia Jeffreys, her brother-in-law Karl Stefanovic, his Today co-host Allison Langdon, and the show's current Saturday A Current Affair host Deb Knight. Rumours are also circling that ABC’s Stan Grant and The Project’s Waleed Aly were being considered to fill Grimshaw’s shoes, though it’s been reported that the latter has recently signed a new multi-year contract with Channel 10.

According to The Australian, Sylvia would be a clear favourite because of her recent media exposure — she recently MC'd a Channel Nine leadership summit, impressing leaders across the business, and recently, she appeared on the cover of Stellar magazine.

Ms Grimshaw noted that she'd be on air until November, after which she plans to take an extended holiday. After 26 years in the same job, we don’t blame her!

What do you think, members? Who’s your pick for the new A Current Affair host?

Sponsored
I certainly hope that Carrie Bickmore is not being considered as I believe that she is not a good role model. She seems to encourage frequent alcohol consumption and treats alcohol consumption very lightly and with a great deal of humour. In my opinion a lot of what is wrong in Australia stems from alcohol eg violence against women, bullying, drunk driving. I have no objection to people having the occasional drink with dinner, but that is where it should stop for a host of reasons.

Tracy Grimshaw's sudden decision to step down and take a much-needed break from her hosting duties on the Nine Network's A Current Affair has caused a stir among viewers and those associated with the show.

'It's been a big decision and before the gossip websites start telling you rubbish, I want you to know it's been my decision alone and I'm not being shoved out the door by the boys' club because I'm too old,' the veteran broadcaster announced on the show on the 5th September.

'I'm not too old, I'm just a bit tired,' said Ms Grimshaw, who has been working for Channel Nine for over 40 years. With all of the time she has spent working, she has concluded that it's time to spend more time with her loving family.

'I've basically been a shift worker for 26 years, taking away precious time that I should have spent with my family,' she continued.

'I've talked to people who've made us all laugh and cry, who've shared their triumphs and their challenges and their wisdom and despair.'

'And because it's your show, not mine and you get to vote each night with your remote control, you told us you wanted more of that. So, thank you for that opportunity, thank you for your loyalty, I hope I've repaid it.'

Ms Grimshaw’s replacement is yet to be determined, but insiders have divulged to The Australian that Nine has been looking outside of their network for the perfect host to replace Tracy, with The Project's Carrie Bickmore and Samantha Armytage, among others, as possible candidates for the position.

Ms Bickmore’s contract with Channel Ten is reportedly due to expire at the end of the year, and she is undecided as to whether she wants to return for another year. Armytage, on the other hand, was previously mentioned as a possible next host but she is now apparently 'not a good fit' for the network.

Others in the running for the post include A Current Affair stand-in host Sylvia Jeffreys, her brother-in-law Karl Stefanovic, his Today co-host Allison Langdon, and the show's current Saturday A Current Affair host Deb Knight. Rumours are also circling that ABC’s Stan Grant and The Project’s Waleed Aly were being considered to fill Grimshaw’s shoes, though it’s been reported that the latter has recently signed a new multi-year contract with Channel 10.

According to The Australian, Sylvia would be a clear favourite because of her recent media exposure — she recently MC'd a Channel Nine leadership summit, impressing leaders across the business, and recently, she appeared on the cover of Stellar magazine.

Ms Grimshaw noted that she'd be on air until November, after which she plans to take an extended holiday. After 26 years in the same job, we don’t blame her!

Deb Knight

She will get thejob because she is Kal Stefano's sister-in-law 😡😡

Reactions: Ricci

Sylvia Jeffries is the next . !!!

Reactions: Ricci

I like Sylvia Jeffrey’s the best to front ACurrent Affairs but I don’t mind Deb Knights either as second choice. Thanks Tracie Grimshaw for all the years I’ve enjoyed watching you very much.

Reactions: Nardia and Ricci

Definitely Deb Knight

Reactions: Nardia and Ricci