The new Pension Work Bonus rule is taking effect today

It can be difficult to make ends meet on the pension. Even with the recent (small) increase, living costs have become overwhelmingly high.

So, any extra help is always welcome news — and that's exactly what we're here to tell you about, members!

In an effort to help address labour shortages across the country, Australian pensioners will now have the ability to work more hours without receiving a penalty to Centrelink payments.

This change came into effect Thursday, December 1, and adds $4000 to the maximum Work Bonus balance limit, raising the ceiling for qualified working pensioners from $7800 to $11,800.

The change is effective until January 1, 2024, which is when the limit resets to $7,800.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth explained that the move is designed to enable pensioners who are able and willing to work to ‘immediately boost the supply of labour’ needed to meet the demands of the country.

ajfbjab.png
More seniors are expected to benefit from the new Work Bonus balance ceiling. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio

‘The government will also look to strengthen legislation to ensure pensioners who are working don’t get unnecessarily kicked out of the social security system.'

'The Albanese Labor government is committed to improving the lives of all Australians – including older Australians – and, importantly, providing choice.'

Prior to this, there were concerns raised by many senior Australians stuck between wanting to work more hours and preserving their pensions as costs of living skyrocketed.

Aussies who receive the Carer Payment or Disability Support pension are also qualified for the Work Bonus.

All one needs to do is declare his or her income and the Work Bonus will automatically be applied if the eligibility requirements are met.

This development comes after welfare payments saw a boost with indexation in September.

Those on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payments saw an additional $38.90 a fortnight for singles and $58.80 for couples.

Screenshot_1.png
Those qualified for Work Bonus will automatically be enrolled once they declare their income taxes and satisfy prerequisites. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

In related news, welfare payments for millions of Australians might see more increases if the Labor-led government has enough votes to support its proposed industrial relations bill.

Key Takeaways

• The maximum Work Bonus balance will increase from $7800 to $11,800 as of December 1.
  • The changes will automatically come into effect and apply to pensioners and veterans.
  • The changes are effective for a year, and will end on January 1, 2024.
So, what do you think? How will this development impact you, especially if you are working to make ends meet?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/Services Australia

Sponsored
Any extra opportunity to a pay rise for those willing and able to work will be welcome. Even with pension cut, the earnings above are still a welcome boost . I will enjoy the $4 K bonus. Would love to see the bonus scheme become simple though. I love working part time for the brain stimulation, mixing with other people and even enjoying taking on part time study.
Absolutely, working is ideal for the reasons you mentioned.
The issue is employers taking on a pensioner, unless it's someone we know or have been working prior.
Pleased you are able to work part time.

Reactions: Ricci and Mrs Wal
No use to us pensioners living in the country, no work to be had.
The govt is actually giving us $4000
(how we wish)but just letting us earn more,whoopy do!!!!
So much harder for those in the country,we have to either pay astronomical grocery prices in our local shop, or in my case travel 1hr.15mins to a larger town to shop.
Am extremely grateful to the WA govt for our pensioner fuel card ($575 a year if you are over 100kms from CBD, can also be used for taxis if you don't drive).
Only downside being it runs out pretty quick at these days petrol prices.
Perhaps I'll trot off and see if a local farmer will give me a job with the wheat harvest, doubt if I could climb into the harvester with my arthritic knees lol.

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
It can be difficult to make ends meet on the pension. Even with the recent (small) increase, living costs have become overwhelmingly high.

So, any extra help is always welcome news — and that's exactly what we're here to tell you about, members!

In an effort to help address labour shortages across the country, Australian pensioners will now have the ability to work more hours without receiving a penalty to Centrelink payments.

This change came into effect Thursday, December 1, and adds $4000 to the maximum Work Bonus balance limit, raising the ceiling for qualified working pensioners from $7800 to $11,800.

The change is effective until January 1, 2024, which is when the limit resets to $7,800.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth explained that the move is designed to enable pensioners who are able and willing to work to ‘immediately boost the supply of labour’ needed to meet the demands of the country.

View attachment 9729
More seniors are expected to benefit from the new Work Bonus balance ceiling. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio

‘The government will also look to strengthen legislation to ensure pensioners who are working don’t get unnecessarily kicked out of the social security system.'

'The Albanese Labor government is committed to improving the lives of all Australians – including older Australians – and, importantly, providing choice.'

Prior to this, there were concerns raised by many senior Australians stuck between wanting to work more hours and preserving their pensions as costs of living skyrocketed.

Aussies who receive the Carer Payment or Disability Support pension are also qualified for the Work Bonus.

All one needs to do is declare his or her income and the Work Bonus will automatically be applied if the eligibility requirements are met.

This development comes after welfare payments saw a boost with indexation in September.

Those on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payments saw an additional $38.90 a fortnight for singles and $58.80 for couples.

View attachment 9730
Those qualified for Work Bonus will automatically be enrolled once they declare their income taxes and satisfy prerequisites. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

In related news, welfare payments for millions of Australians might see more increases if the Labor-led government has enough votes to support its proposed industrial relations bill.

Key Takeaways

• The maximum Work Bonus balance will increase from $7800 to $11,800 as of December 1.
  • The changes will automatically come into effect and apply to pensioners and veterans.
So, what do you think? How will this development impact you, especially if you are working to make ends meet?

Just looking at Services Australia they state it's only to 30 June 2023

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
They assume we are all able to work and that employers are hanging out for us wrinklies.........wrong!
This comment is so correct. I was told that I was too old at 48yrs and again at 60yrs. at 48 - 49 yrs I had granted 54 interviews and NEVER GOT ONE JOB. I was over-qualified according to one job application. Well, now that I am 79yrs I don't think I am going to gain from this BS Cash Boost (call it what you like, it is nothing worth talking about and only a small amount of retirees will get any advantage from it).
MANY of us CAN handle Data Processing .. so shove us in a back room for 3 days a week or so, but pay us the $11.800 per year in cash. That is approx. $1,000 per month.(less than $5.00 per Hr.) BETTER STILL ALLOW US TO DO THE WORK AT HOME.. no kids around to annoy the crap out of us now and that would save us a huge amount in Petrol alone .

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9730

Key Takeaways

If you are able to work its a good bonus, but if, like me who cant we just have to stay on struggle street?

• Sad
Why is it only 2 years I would love to see the reaction if a CEO of a company got a rise and then in two years it reverts back to his previous income what a crock of S.......

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9730

Key Takeaways

That’s all very well for pensioners that can work Good on them ! I am unable to work but this week has been difficult for me. I woke with a swollen cheek & lots of pain in a tooth. I was able to get in straight away. But the matter is it had to be paid up front, and was almost half my aged pension. No money for ANYTHING until next pay a week away ! Why isn’t there some dental assistance ?

• Sad
Couple or so of things wrong with this very welcome boost.
1. It ends a year later so you’ll be losing a chunk of the pension each fortnight and having to go back to reporting each fortnight or not getting paid at all
2. All very nice but I have been applying for work for ages - I need the money and I need the mental stimulation. However, even applying for work, there are so many barriers like employers stipulating I must have a Police Check, various colour “cards” and, in some cases (like cab driving and some cleaning firms) an ABN. These must be acquired, at a not inconsiderable expense, before they’ll even consider me. Perhaps Mr Albanese could see some way to make getting these items easier or free for pensioners?
3. Part time seems to be close to full time for many employers - is there some magic thing they lose for full time? I’m talking about part time hours up to 36 hours a week vs full time 38.5 hours. And 10+ hour shifts are hard on older people.
4. I keep hearing that employers want to take on older people because they have skills and values that are becoming rarer, yet rejection after rejection.
Base line is, I’d love to work; I’m fitter than many 50 year olds, I’m willing and I have a strong work ethic and loyalty, but unless the system changes, I can’t see me being able to even get a look in. Hell, if they want FTE, I’ll happily jobshare, so two pensioners can get a living wage and still keep most of their pension.

• Sad
GOOD NEWS! Millions of pensioners will receive a cash boost ... that's what your intro head says. The actual story, however, says something else. Did you start your "reporting" career at the Woman's Daze or the No Idea?
Hey everyone! I think the criticism we are getting here is totally fair... I don't think this is our best work which is totally on me. It was 'breaking news' yesterday because everything was coming into effect today so it was a rushed job to make sure we got it done in time for this mornings newsletter! The headline wasn't the best but everything in the article is accurate information and that's the most important thing! So just a quick sorry on this...

I did want to acknowledge the feedback sent in by member @Zemo I've been laughing all morning... Can confirm no-one at SDC has had the 'opportunity' to work at Woman's Daze or No Idea :ROFLMAO: Although after this blunder, perhaps we should apply??? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for being so understanding and always keeping things light hearted. I genuinely appreciate the feedback! Will of course pass this all onto the team!!

It would be a good idea if you stopped talking as if the standard September rise in Pensions for CoI increases was something special or new! The September and March increases have been standard for many years - I have been initially on DSP, since 2002, & then was summarily transferred to Age Pension when I reached Age Pension age, and the September & March CoI increases have been happening all that time.
The September increase was NOT anything special or new or separate - it is a standard feature which has operated for many years!
What is needed is a total overhaul of the Pensions and other benefits system, so that the BASE rates are increased to somewhere closer to the Henderson Poverty line, not a misleading story about the larger than usual normal increase last September!
And while this extra $4000 might be a boon for those who can, and are looking to work, it is of no use at all for those who can't work, or who cannot get any sort of appropriate employment. Your sensationalist headings to your articles are at best misleading, and more often, either untrue, or abominably patronising to those of us who either cannot work, or cannot find suitable employment!

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9730

Key Takeaways

did t6he math if you use the full $4000, tax payable is $4000 Great bonus ???

• Sad
Hey @KarenS I totally hear you and am taking on this feedback! We weren't trying to be sensationalist, we were just popping in a reminder for those who CAN work on their pension, just because a $4000 boost is quite a big one, so for those who this change does impact, it is quite a big impact.

But I agree, for those of you who can't work on the pension its a bit irrelevant, I think moving forward what we will do is call out something like 'Change for working pensioners' rather than group all pensioners together :)

I really appreciate the feedback - we know all pension news is super important to our members so we are doing our best to be on top of all the news as it comes through!

GOOD NEWS! Millions of pensioners will receive a cash boost ... that's what your intro head says. The actual story, however, says something else. Did you start your "reporting" career at the Woman's Daze or the No Idea?
Give em a break (LOL) they're social media reporters, anything that's posted on fb twitter etc is taken and regurgitated usually days after we all have read about.
Sensationalist headlining for likes.

Like many who have already said. Means nothing to most pensioners as its a quick grab to exploit the poverty stricken and desperate and provide cheap slaves for many greedy companies bet they will not be paid full award wages or be fulltime.

I am on a DSP I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, T2 insulin dependant diabetes , asthma and just six months post op from bowel cancer lower 1/2 bowel removed, and still on chemo. No way my body and mental health will suffice to allow work any hrs so this is no 4000.00 cash for Shanny

• Sad

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9730

Key Takeaways

Sounds wonderful but i have to date not seen any adverts for seniors positions being available in the west aust newspaper..... not have i ever seen same in the monthly Senior magazine ... any advice folks as to finding access to the elusive positions offered for seniors

Why do they expect pensioners to return to work while thousands of bludgers on the dole are bleeding the system for all they can? A lot of people working at Centrelink aren't much better for letting it happen.

Well it’s a little like Labor’s childcare subsidies. Labor are spending this money to get women BACK INTO THE WORKFORCE! This short term pension bonus is about getting seniors BACK INTO THE WORKFORCE! As others have noted, some of us CANNOT work. How about giving us WORK FROM HOME. Public servants got thousands in work from home bonuses during COVID didn’t they?
.?
What "bonuses" were they?
My daughter works for a government department and worked from home. She was paid her regular salary, but I'm sure she didn't receive any of those "thousands of dollars in bonuses ".