The new Pension Work Bonus rule is taking effect today

It can be difficult to make ends meet on the pension. Even with the recent (small) increase, living costs have become overwhelmingly high.

So, any extra help is always welcome news — and that's exactly what we're here to tell you about, members!

In an effort to help address labour shortages across the country, Australian pensioners will now have the ability to work more hours without receiving a penalty to Centrelink payments.

This change came into effect Thursday, December 1, and adds $4000 to the maximum Work Bonus balance limit, raising the ceiling for qualified working pensioners from $7800 to $11,800.

The change is effective until January 1, 2024, which is when the limit resets to $7,800.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth explained that the move is designed to enable pensioners who are able and willing to work to ‘immediately boost the supply of labour’ needed to meet the demands of the country.

ajfbjab.png
More seniors are expected to benefit from the new Work Bonus balance ceiling. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio

‘The government will also look to strengthen legislation to ensure pensioners who are working don’t get unnecessarily kicked out of the social security system.'

'The Albanese Labor government is committed to improving the lives of all Australians – including older Australians – and, importantly, providing choice.'

Prior to this, there were concerns raised by many senior Australians stuck between wanting to work more hours and preserving their pensions as costs of living skyrocketed.

Aussies who receive the Carer Payment or Disability Support pension are also qualified for the Work Bonus.

All one needs to do is declare his or her income and the Work Bonus will automatically be applied if the eligibility requirements are met.

This development comes after welfare payments saw a boost with indexation in September.

Those on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payments saw an additional $38.90 a fortnight for singles and $58.80 for couples.

Screenshot_1.png
Those qualified for Work Bonus will automatically be enrolled once they declare their income taxes and satisfy prerequisites. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

In related news, welfare payments for millions of Australians might see more increases if the Labor-led government has enough votes to support its proposed industrial relations bill.

Key Takeaways

• The maximum Work Bonus balance will increase from $7800 to $11,800 as of December 1.
  • The changes will automatically come into effect and apply to pensioners and veterans.
  • The changes are effective for a year, and will end on January 1, 2024.
So, what do you think? How will this development impact you, especially if you are working to make ends meet?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/Services Australia

Sponsored
It can be difficult to make ends meet on the pension. Even with the recent (small) increase, living costs have become overwhelmingly high.

So, any extra help is always welcome news — and that's exactly what we're here to tell you about, members!

In an effort to help address labour shortages across the country, Australian pensioners will now have the ability to work more hours without receiving a penalty to Centrelink payments.

This change came into effect Thursday, December 1, and adds $4000 to the maximum Work Bonus balance limit, raising the ceiling for qualified working pensioners from $7800 to $11,800.

The change is effective until January 1, 2024, which is when the limit resets to $7,800.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth explained that the move is designed to enable pensioners who are able and willing to work to ‘immediately boost the supply of labour’ needed to meet the demands of the country.

View attachment 9729
More seniors are expected to benefit from the new Work Bonus balance ceiling. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio

‘The government will also look to strengthen legislation to ensure pensioners who are working don’t get unnecessarily kicked out of the social security system.'

'The Albanese Labor government is committed to improving the lives of all Australians – including older Australians – and, importantly, providing choice.'

Prior to this, there were concerns raised by many senior Australians stuck between wanting to work more hours and preserving their pensions as costs of living skyrocketed.

Aussies who receive the Carer Payment or Disability Support pension are also qualified for the Work Bonus.

All one needs to do is declare his or her income and the Work Bonus will automatically be applied if the eligibility requirements are met.

This development comes after welfare payments saw a boost with indexation in September.

Those on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payments saw an additional $38.90 a fortnight for singles and $58.80 for couples.

View attachment 9730
Those qualified for Work Bonus will automatically be enrolled once they declare their income taxes and satisfy prerequisites. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

In related news, welfare payments for millions of Australians might see more increases if the Labor-led government has enough votes to support its proposed industrial relations bill.

Key Takeaways

• The maximum Work Bonus balance will increase from $7800 to $11,800 as of December 1.
Key Takeaways

• The changes will automatically come into effect and apply to pensioners and veterans.
So, what do you think? How will this development impact you, especially if you are working to make ends meet?

All it means for me is that I can work an extra 7.90 hours per fortnight and thats it. The Govt. had the chance to improve our lot but clearly didnt.

Reactions: Ricci
The government's generosity is at best, underwhelming. An increase of almost $77 a week for a limited time only!
Having said that, a government that actually assists the retired taxpayer to make ends meet deserves one small tick.

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9730

Key Takeaways

Why at 79 should I have to try to look for work or even work again in order to have enough to live a decent life? For 50 years I worked full time as a teacher plus part time work in theatres and then also ran a farm with my husband, raised my two children paying for their education and giving them as best a life I could and running school extracurricular activities. taking my kids and then grandkids to sport and minding them during school holidays, upgrading to extra academic qualifications and sacrificing my own pleasures to put 1/3 my salary into superannuation. The year I retired was the GFC and I lost almost all my precious savings through my superannuation company. We had to downsize, leave the farm and now we are mortgage free and the kids are all through university and training but we are left, dependent on the pension. I did do relief teaching until the day I was assaulted by two teenage girls. I have done work as "extra" on TV series, films and commercials and as an acting coach and freelance writer but now I have a chronic illness and had lung cancer surgery. To imply the Government is 'giving us' up to $4000 and making it sound like a windfall is an insult. Many of us pensioners never dreamt we would be in this situation having to rely on this pension which is on the poverty level. We worked bloody hard: my husband got nothing when out of work for a year because I worked. I kept him and also paid enough tax to keep another person on the dole! We gave our all, got very little in the way of hand-outs or assistance to raise our children and for what? Being told we can now go back to work !!!!

• Sad
What about the pensioners who can't work because of body abuse during their working career. OH&S rules didn't come in until half way through my working career.

• Love
Reactions: Mrs P and Ricci

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9730

Key Takeaways

I don't think this will help a lot of pensioners. It's just a pathetic bandaid to prop up a dwindling workforce. If the government really wants to help pensioners then it could spread that $4000 across increased rebates on power, rates, rego and increase medical benefits. Then all pensioners will be better off not just a few. But good luck to the ones that get to benefit from it now.

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9730

Key Takeaways

That is a very small start...I still do not understand why punish pensioners for wanting to work ? I come from NZ & hubby worked until he was 72..it kept him young & he still received the pension he was entitled to...he retired 10 years ago..

What about the pensioners who can't work because of body abuse during their working career. OH&S rules didn't come in until half way through my working career.
Exactly...its no help to those of us who are physically unable to work due to worn out backs etc..

GOOD NEWS! Millions of pensioners will receive a cash boost ... that's what your intro head says. The actual story, however, says something else. Did you start your "reporting" career at the Woman's Daze or the No Idea?
I've ALWAYS disliked MISLEADING headlines. Makes me doubt the next headline I read. I hope SDC isnt looking at New Idea for inspiration

me either
Absolutely true - if you cant work - its not exactly a bonus isnt it? So its not for all. If anything this policy is telling older Aussies - if you're old you still have to work. If you're on a scooter to get around - you still have to work to get some more pocket change. Disgusting policy.

I am an age pensioner unable to work for medical reasons how dose this $4000:00 help me with the cost of living
Exactly, its all poohoo & seriously for those who can why does the stupid self over paid Gvt put a piddly little $4000 cap on the so called "Help for seniors" RIPPED OFF...

Reactions: annvic and Ricci
What about the pensioners that are too sick to work. Therefore, we have to pay many different people to do most of the jobs around the house. We need the government to allow pensioners with part pensions be allowed to have more money before charging them to get the help they need through the "Package deals". Some doctors now recommend vitamins. eg. Vit D, Vit K, Magnesium, Calcium, vit B12, etc but these are not available to be refunded through the Package. We need more doctors who can help heal us rather than prescribe painkillers. Pain killers with their many side affects are available to be subsidised through the Package deals. Pain killers only mask the problems.

The suggestion that all people can return to work after retirement age is wrong, there are many who are too unwell to do it and employers won't. I am lucky in I have been with my employer for 13 years and they are able to give me one or 2 shifts a week, but if I applied to this same company today I would be rejected because I wouldn't pass the health check.

me either
This $4,000.00 for pensioners is just like a slight of hand card trick, it is only good for those who can still work what about those of us because of age or illness are unable to work? We are still treated like second class citizens and leppers, I have issued a challenge to every politician via facebook to live for 6 months on the aged pension and see how they survive. And to this day not one of them have accepted my challenge. It's time the aged pensioners started to make more noise and took action about our plight, as others have said we will all die of starvation and who is going to care.

I just did my reporting to centrelink and I can see that an unused credit of $4300 has been added. It does not tell me how much credit is left after reporting. This unused credit has been introduced in July this year and is normally $300 every fortnight.
There is another about $150 you can earn on anything in the pension, this is not workbonus.
This makes it to $450 a fortnight in total earnings. I now fear that centrelink is taking out your income out of the bonus and the $150 out of the standard pension get ignored. So when the bonus is used up we are back to previous payments and we lost the $150 for that period. I will find out on next reporting time on the 15.12.
I can now confirm that this is really a bogus scheme. You will loose the benefits of the test free area ( max $190) as long as you have $ in the income bank. https://www.dss.gov.au/seniors/prog...s increases the,pension income test free area.

As I tried to explain earlier. You are lucky if you get anything. Most definitely not $4000. And don't forget we have to pay Tax 21% ones over 32279. that's all payment plus income together. That comes on top of it.
Yes I will be lucky. I got my tax back and over the time we have it will get $4k towards work bonus. I am grateful and fortunate to be a valued employee at 72. Just saying.