The items Aussies are removing from their grocery lists just to save

The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 2.52.09 PM.png
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

Inflation increased in August, mainly driven by rising fuel and bread prices.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Yes, I do. I also buy gifts when I see bargain prices during the year.
There are many ways to save money if you put your mind to it.
I hardly ever pay full price for anything. Most things come on special every six weeks or so, I then buy enough to last until the next cycle.
I buy my clothes thru the Temu website and get constant comments on how nice I look.
Used to shop thru LightinaBox, who sell most of the same things, but Temu are cheaper,quicker delivery, $5 credit added to your account if the goods don't arrive by the given date and the biggest bonus is no freight charge.
Only suggestion I would make is that you must check the size chart, don't just by S,M,L etc as like most stores these sizes can mean different things from one manufacturer to another.
Thank you, mylittletibbies. I have seen many items advertised on Temu but I am wary of buying online.
I have only so far bought things from Amazon or from the Innovations Catalogue. I might give Temu a try.

Thank you, mylittletibbies. I have seen many items advertised on Temu but I am wary of buying online.
I have only so far bought things from Amazon or from the Innovations Catalogue. I might give Temu a try.
I have now bought a lot of things from Temu. I've been more than happy with everything. The quality has been good and the prices charged are incredible. I would highly recommend them.

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
The price of kitty litter has skyrocketed since most councils have made the law that cats have to be contained indoors. My cat has always been an indoors only cat, so kitty litter is a must, but it is becoming so expensive & not something that my cat can do without. I have always bought no-name brand.

Like you I am weary of Temu, but if you do give it a try, I would like to know how you get on. I have bought stuff on My Deal and to date I haven't had any problems. They always let me know when the product is dispatched and a tracking number.

Like you I am weary of Temu, but if you do give it a try, I would like to know how you get on. I have bought stuff on My Deal and to date I haven't had any problems. They always let me know when the product is dispatched and a tracking number.
As I stated earlier I have been dealing with Temu for a few months now with no problems whatsoever.
The no freight cost is such a bonus.
You get a tracking number and they also keep you updated
I had 3 parcels delivered a day late before Xmas. Not Temu's fault, they arrived at Aust Post in plenty of time.
True to their word a $5 was posted to my account for each delivery. It was taken off my next order.
The only thing is that an Aust order must be at least $20.
I've been happy with the quality of all my purchases. I would highly recommend them, best company I have dealt with online.

As I stated earlier I have been dealing with Temu for a few months now with no problems whatsoever.
The no freight cost is such a bonus.
You get a tracking number and they also keep you updated
I had 3 parcels delivered a day late before Xmas. Not Temu's fault, they arrived at Aust Post in plenty of time.
True to their word a $5 was posted to my account for each delivery. It was taken off my next order.
The only thing is that an Aust order must be at least $20.
I've been happy with the quality of all my purchases. I would highly recommend them, best company I have dealt with online.
I think I will give it a go in the near future.

Reactions: Ezzy
The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

View attachment 32656
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!

I don't buy take away food, chips or junk. I shop to a budget and bake my own bread, pies (which I sell along with biscuits and quiches,) grow my own veg and herbs, keep chickens and have fruit trees and berry bushes. When the Pandemic started I went into ration mode and have stayed there. Hubby brews his own beer and Cider. We don't go out, we garden. We rent out rooms and live within our means. I think we are doing it smart.

Well, if you look at how many billions of $'s Australians spend on Boxing Day (it was on the news), even more than previous years, you won't say there is a cost of living crisis in Australia. The only thing I bought on Boxing day, was 3 liters of milk.
How much of this was via a Credit Card? Money people don't have but will need to pay off & include interest or will pay in full when this is due.

On paper this amount has been spent but not necessarily with cash.

Yes, they are 3 months behind on their house payments and still they spend. Maybe they will wake up when they loose the roof over their heads.
Yes. A lady on our Neighbourhood site is trying to raise money for her mother to help with keeping her caravan where she has been living since losing her $1 million home. It has been stated that she needs $15,000 to avoid losing the caravan. The reason given was elder abuse. True or not, she lost her home, apparently.

Lots of people waited for the Boxing Day sales so they could buy things they needed (or wanted) for far less than normal. many may have waited until Boxing Day to buy Christmas gifts.
I've been to so many boxing day sales here in Sydney and really they are just the normal sales with most getting rid of items that don't sell.
The better sales are the black Friday sales in November

How much of this was via a Credit Card? Money people don't have but will need to pay off & include interest or will pay in full when this is due.

On paper this amount has been spent but not necessarily with cash.
I hate to think how many people spent big on credit cards for Christmas just to go out and spend more on these so called sales

I buy a bit on Temu , although with clothing and some items it's give n take.
If your not happy they will offer you a full refund or store credit, your choice.

My orders have taken around 1 week to receive.

What we have been buying recently is Vertical wall gardens, now these are such a great price.

Temu is like a market. With hundreds of sellers

View attachment 32656

Key Takeaways

I am a home care worker & nurse working in the community. Our most vulnerable population is really doing it hard, they are literally going without food and commodities that workers all take for granted. Ask many people who work in this industry. We all support euthanasia for ourselves. There is no way I want to suffer the way our vulnerable do. I always remember my family teaching me, survival the fittest of the jungle. That certainly rings true in my observations.
As our wonderful Australia reaches 3rd world standards. It is time to step-up everyone....

I am a home care worker & nurse working in the community. Our most vulnerable population is really doing it hard, they are literally going without food and commodities that workers all take for granted. Ask many people who work in this industry. We all support euthanasia for ourselves. There is no way I want to suffer the way our vulnerable do. I always remember my family teaching me, survival the fittest of the jungle. That certainly rings true in my observations.
As our wonderful Australia reaches 3rd world standards. It is time to step-up everyone....
I remember my wife saying when she worked in the Pharmacy some 50 + years ago & tinned baby food was on special it was mainly Pensioners who bought these & in large quantities for their meals. A disgraceful state of affairs when aged people must adopt these practices just to survive.

Reactions: Kay Stammers