The items Aussies are removing from their grocery lists just to save

The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 2.52.09 PM.png
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

Inflation increased in August, mainly driven by rising fuel and bread prices.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I also buy Christmas gifts whenever I find what I’m thinking about on sale somewhere. I do shop Black Friday (more like Black fortnight) & Boxing Day sales but only online and only if it’s a good deal. I bought a pair of ankle boots that were reduced from $299 to $139 & I’d been watching them for a while. Ted buys a bit from Amazon but only stuff we actually need and never anything that we can’t afford. We use debit cards so it’s our actual money that’s used. I do use Catch & MyDeal. I couldn’t stand to actually venture into a shop at sale time.

My honest advice is vote Liberal or National or even One Nation come the next election. Every time Labor touches something they break it. Enough is enough.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I didn't buy anything.
A family member went to Harbor Town and bought enough clothes for the entire neighbourhood, on her credit card. As she never pays off more than the monthly minimum payment, she will have paid more than the original cost would have been, many times over, and yet she thinks she got a bargain.
No accounting for some people's stupidity.
That’s dangerous! I use a credit card but have set a reasonable limit and always ensure I’ll have enough money to pay the next invoice in full. I hate owing money, so would rather go without than be in debt. But there are true “shopaholics “ in this world. Perhaps your family member needs help. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I didn’t buy anything yesterday either @mylittletibbies. I don’t go shopping when there are big sales…can’t stand the crowds and watching the greed emerging.
I didn’t even do any online shopping! 😀

Reactions: Ezzy
A good kebab outweighs a bag of air from McDonalds any day. They are healthier, tastier and more satisfying than most takeaway food. Last time I bought a burger (bag of air) from McDonalds I was still hungry as shinkflation had eaten away half of it.
I don’t go to Maccas and those sort of places. But I do enjoy a good kebab! 😋

Well, if you look at how many billions of $'s Australians spend on Boxing Day (it was on the news), even more than previous years, you won't say there is a cost of living crisis in Australia. The only thing I bought on Boxing day, was 3 liters of milk.
Lots of people waited for the Boxing Day sales so they could buy things they needed (or wanted) for far less than normal. many may have waited until Boxing Day to buy Christmas gifts.

We hardly ever buy red meat. Forced to become self funded retirees because of duel redundancies at a late age, we have to be very careful of our weekly grocery bill and red meat is just way too expensive.
we can’t “shop around” as we live regional.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
Well, if you look at how many billions of $'s Australians spend on Boxing Day (it was on the news), even more than previous years, you won't say there is a cost of living crisis in Australia. The only thing I bought on Boxing day, was 3 liters of milk.
I didn't leave the house on Boxing Day....

Reactions: DLHM
I buy less of the expensive meat , so we have a smaller amount and add some chickpeas or other protein . Still buy the heartsmart mince but the portion will be smaller .
I did not go for Boxing Day sales , nothing I needed and the weather was terrible , could have been locked in to an underneath parking lot or hail damage , trees over roads , power down etc . Glad I had enough in my fridge/freezer for a few days .
Also had son and family coming and we played some nice games , it was very good and lifted our spirits up.

The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

View attachment 32656
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

Inflation increased in August, mainly driven by rising fuel and bread prices.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!
Potato chips are one of the most unhealthy foods you can eat, full of fat, I never buy them!

I have question does anyone save for Xmas????
I save generally not a lot but a little for a rainy day. I start buying for Xmas in June. Just as well I save a little because the storms took out my power and I’m away. Luckily my son went over and threw out the contents of my fridge and freezer

I’m sick and tired of people complaining about things they can’t afford. Maybe be grateful if you have a roof over your heads, any food to eat and friends or family. Think of the many places in the world at present where there is only violence and trauma, where children are dying and loving parents if they survive have to watch their children or family and friends die. Where there is no sanitation, only disease and fear. Stop whining and understand that you live in a stable, caring country and are rich beyond measure. Maybe start saving the money you would normally spend on a coffee or a takeaway, or junk food and give it to a charity to help others in dire circumstances. Try being grateful for what you do have. I cannot feel sorry for anyone who moans and groans about not being able to buy crisps or beer etc. if you can’t afford meat then enjoy vegetable dishes and give thanks for having food.
We are lucky to live in Oz. But some people are struggling big time. I feel for families with kids living in tents.

Yes, I do. I also buy gifts when I see bargain prices during the year.
There are many ways to save money if you put your mind to it.
I hardly ever pay full price for anything. Most things come on special every six weeks or so, I then buy enough to last until the next cycle.
I buy my clothes thru the Temu website and get constant comments on how nice I look.
Used to shop thru LightinaBox, who sell most of the same things, but Temu are cheaper,quicker delivery, $5 credit added to your account if the goods don't arrive by the given date and the biggest bonus is no freight charge.
Only suggestion I would make is that you must check the size chart, don't just by S,M,L etc as like most stores these sizes can mean different things from one manufacturer to another.
Totally agree with what you say about Temu. I started using them fairly recently and am amazed at their pricing, all with no delivery charge. The quality is pretty good too. I also would agree with you about their sizing on clothes and shoes - best to check their sizing charts. All my friends and acquaintances also use Temu. Would highly recommend them.

I dont buy anything that is not on special. All the brands come up through the supermarket system almost weekly, IGA in the first week/Woolies in the second/Coles in the third. The freezer is never empty and this cover all meats/cereals/biscuits/spreads whatever. Always check out their specials either online or in their catalogue.

I have question does anyone save for Xmas????
We do something a little different than saving for Christmas.
Some years ago, we made an announcement to the family that we did not want gifts (don't need more stuff), and we will be giving a group gift for each family (mum, dad & kids). We leave it up to them to decide who gets what.
There has to be a line drawn. Gift giving has lost its true meaning and there is far too emphasis on how much is spent on each person.
I start buying for my home made gift hampers from September. I buy a little at a time and each family gets the same selection. There is a mixture of edibles, gadgets, workshop additions, kitchen helpers and of course the usual fun addition. By December, there is plenty in there to keep the male and female family members happy. There are no kiddies. All our grandchildren are either working, at Uni or in upper high school. If there were little ones, we would do a token Santa style gift.
One really needs to evaluate what is the goal on this holiday. If it is a competition based on who buys the most impressive gift, we would not be in the running. We don't care ... our family know we love them, and, that is what it should be all about.

That’s dangerous! I use a credit card but have set a reasonable limit and always ensure I’ll have enough money to pay the next invoice in full. I hate owing money, so would rather go without than be in debt. But there are true “shopaholics “ in this world. Perhaps your family member needs help. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I didn’t buy anything yesterday either @mylittletibbies. I don’t go shopping when there are big sales…can’t stand the crowds and watching the greed emerging.
I didn’t even do any online shopping! 😀
Oh yes, she definitely needs help, but she doesn't listen. Unfortunately her husband is just as bad so that doesn't help matters.
A few years back he inherited over $280,000 and instead of paying out their credit cards and reducing their mortgage it all went on flash cars, that are now not so flash as they don't look after anything, cruises, jewellery, etc.
Now it's all gone they're 3 months behind on their mortgage and still owe their credit cards.
We've given up, as long as they don't come running to us crying poor mouth when the sh*t hits the fan.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I buy and do my birthday and Christmas presents all through the year. I didn't go near the sales but last night did an online shop for the basics only. Who buys things like chips, beer etc. And how do you cut down on litter. I am buying a cheaper brand of clumping clay (the type recommended by my vet) at Coles and my cat doesn' t seem to know the difference. There is a very expensive brand at about 10 times the cost but it is all bentonite clay just different grades. I did have a treat before Christmas and bought a bottle of Bickfords Lemon, Lime and Bitters for $4 and a couple of bottles of soda water, home brand. Still have it and only drink it sparingly. Dont have to buy meat because I dont' eat it and my cat doesn't either. However, for her birthday in December I bought her a roast chook for $12, she only just finished it yesterday. It is handy to have when they are sick and you just need some white rice with a little bit of tuna juice to help make them feel better. I was horrified at the price of tuna in springwater however. Just as well that is a treat for me. I wish I could help more than the rescue animals on my meagre pension but it only goes so far. I would love to give to all the charities who flood my letterbox with begging letters but i feel they are wasting money on the cost of printing glossy brochures to lure me in, doesn't work however.

Oh yes, she definitely needs help, but she doesn't listen. Unfortunately her husband is just as bad so that doesn't help matters.
A few years back he inherited over $280,000 and instead of paying out their credit cards and reducing their mortgage it all went on flash cars, that are now not so flash as they don't look after anything, cruises, jewellery, etc.
Now it's all gone they're 3 months behind on their mortgage and still owe their credit cards.
We've given up, as long as they don't come running to us crying poor mouth when the sh*t hits the fan.
I thought my dearly departed dad was the only one that was that bad with credit cards! He was a shocker.