The Great SDC Shortbread Review of 2022 by member Gayle

shortbread review.png

What could be more important than how to vote in the upcoming federal election (insert eye roll)? Why the Great SDC Shortbread review of 2022 Of Course
Folks, this fantastic review was submitted by member Gayle Dean. If you enjoyed it, please comment below and let us know what you’d like reviewed next!

No decision is more crucial than the biscuit of choice to accompany your daily dunk. Arguably the most popular tea dunking delight is the humble shortbread! With its origins rooted in 12th century Scotland and popular with Mary Queen of Scots, the shortbread biscuit was a part of Scottish wedding tradition. The groom had the unenviable task of breaking the shortbread wheel over his bride’s head. It was believed if it crumbled the marriage would be fruitful. Not sure how well that worked out for the groom on his long awaited wedding night!

As part of this experiment, I enlisted a panel of experts to determine which bikkie is best. Included was a mandatory Scotsman (my Dad), my adult children, and Poppy the resident canine taste tester. It should be noted that Poppy has a less than discerning palette and, on occasion, is known to consume socks.
C:\Users\Miranda\Desktop\Poppy.PNG

Poppy, the resident canine tester.

Thus her results were excluded from the final tally. Each tester rated the shortbreads on a scale of 1 to 10 according to four selection criteria:​
  • Visual appeal​
  • Size​
  • Taste​
  • Texture​
The products reviewed were:

Unibic Shortbread Fingers ($3.00 or $1.50 per 100 grams)

C:\Users\Miranda\Desktop\Unibic.jpg

Butterfingers Macadamia Shortbread ($3.90 or $2.23 per 100 grams)

C:\Users\Miranda\Desktop\Butterfingers.jpg

Arnott’s Shortbread ($3 or $1.20 per 100 grams)

C:\Users\Miranda\Desktop\Arnotts.jpg

Coles Shortbread Fingers ($2.00 or $0.95 per 100 grams

C:\Users\Miranda\Desktop\coles.jpg

Visual Appeal and size

All agreed the Unibic shortbread had the most visual appeal with its light golden brown colour and glossy sprinkling of sugar. Butterfingers, whilst also quite appealing, came in second mainly because the crew preferred the appearance of the traditional holey shortbread. Apparently the holes allow for even oven heat distribution (who knew?). Lacking in colour and somewhat smaller than the rest, the Coles brand came in third place. In last place was Arnott’s as it lacked the traditional delicate shortbread shape and was almost double in size. Proof that bigger isn’t always better!

Texture
C:\Users\Miranda\Desktop\cuppa.jpg
Possibly the most important aspect of any shortbread is its smooth ‘melt in your mouth’ texture. Whilst Unibic narrowly beat the rest of the pack, the scores were quite low in this category in comparison to the other three criteria. The Scotsman mumbled something in Gaelic (we think) about his mother’s superior homemade shortbreads. In this instance I must begrudgingly agree with him, homemade is best. Whilst they all somewhat lacked the desired melt in your mouth feel, a swift double dunk significantly improved the smoothness of all except the Coles brand biscuit. After the obligatory tea dunk the adult son stated it showed a marginal improvement from, ‘that just sucked the saliva straight out my mouth’ to ‘it’s ‘like chewing chalk’. A triple dunk was sensibly not attempted; we all know how that ends!

Taste

Taste, this all-important category garnered mixed opinions. Unibic was once again ahead of the pack with its buttery goodness, closely followed by Butterfingers. With only one point separating the two, I called a draw in this category. Miss Fusspot (adult daughter) was not partial to the tiny macadamia pieces which gave the shortbread a mild nutty taste and an ever so slightly gritty texture. All other participants enjoyed this subtle flavour and deviation from the traditional shortbread. Everyone agreed Arnott’s Shortbread was satisfactory, although they were no match for their popular beloved Scotch Finger biscuit. In last position, Coles brand lacked the distinctive buttery flavour of a shortbread and was a little bland, although Poppy appeared impressed (just between you and me she always looks that way). Again the dunk enhanced the taste which goes to show tea and biscuits are indeed a match made in bikkie heaven.

The final tally placed Unibic as the overall winner on 123 points, closely followed by Butterfingers on 119, Arnott’s 89 and lastly Coles brand on 64 (harsh I know). As you can see there’s not always a correlation between quality and cost with Unibic significantly cheaper than the runner up. It should be noted that Miss Fusspot brought down the score average of Butterfingers because there were ‘bits in it’ (guess you’ve all heard that before).

A final note: Poppy’s usual doggy diet was compromised for this experiment, however as a senior of 12 years she can do whatever she damn well pleases! Lastly the official policy on broken biscuits is as follows. All ‘accidental biscuit breakages’ are deemed kilojoule free and therefore do not count toward your daily calorie count.

Last edited:
Sponsored

View attachment 3184

What could be more important than how to vote in the upcoming federal election (insert eye roll)? Why the Great SDC Shortbread review of 2022 Of Course
Folks, this fantastic review was submitted by member Gayle Dean. If you enjoyed it, please comment below and let us know what you’d like reviewed next!

No decision is more crucial than the biscuit of choice to accompany your daily dunk. Arguably the most popular tea dunking delight is the humble shortbread! With its origins rooted in 12th century Scotland and popular with Mary Queen of Scots, the shortbread biscuit was a part of Scottish wedding tradition. The groom had the unenviable task of breaking the shortbread wheel over his bride’s head. It was believed if it crumbled the marriage would be fruitful. Not sure how well that worked out for the groom on his long awaited wedding night!

As part of this experiment, I enlisted a panel of experts to determine which bikkie is best. Included was a mandatory Scotsman (my Dad), my adult children, and Poppy the resident canine taste tester. It should be noted that Poppy has a less than discerning palette and, on occasion, is known to consume socks.

Thus her results were excluded from the final tally. Each tester rated the shortbreads on a scale of 1 to 10 according to four selection criteria:
  • Visual appeal
  • Size
  • Taste
  • Texture

Visual Appeal and size

All agreed the Unibic shortbread had the most visual appeal with its light golden brown colour and glossy sprinkling of sugar. Butterfingers, whilst also quite appealing, came in second mainly because the crew preferred the appearance of the traditional holey shortbread. Apparently the holes allow for even oven heat distribution (who knew?). Lacking in colour and somewhat smaller than the rest, the Coles brand came in third place. In last place was Arnott’s as it lacked the traditional delicate shortbread shape and was almost double in size. Proof that bigger isn’t always better!

Texture
Possibly the most important aspect of any shortbread is its smooth ‘melt in your mouth’ texture. Whilst Unibic narrowly beat the rest of the pack, the scores were quite low in this category in comparison to the other three criteria. The Scotsman mumbled something in Gaelic (we think) about his mother’s superior homemade shortbreads. In this instance I must begrudgingly agree with him, homemade is best. Whilst they all somewhat lacked the desired melt in your mouth feel, a swift double dunk significantly improved the smoothness of all except the Coles brand biscuit. After the obligatory tea dunk the adult son stated it showed a marginal improvement from, ‘that just sucked the saliva straight out my mouth’ to ‘it’s ‘like chewing chalk’. A triple dunk was sensibly not attempted; we all know how that ends!

Taste

Taste, this all-important category garnered mixed opinions. Unibic was once again ahead of the pack with its buttery goodness, closely followed by Butterfingers. With only one point separating the two, I called a draw in this category. Miss Fusspot (adult daughter) was not partial to the tiny macadamia pieces which gave the shortbread a mild nutty taste and an ever so slightly gritty texture. All other participants enjoyed this subtle flavour and deviation from the traditional shortbread. Everyone agreed Arnott’s Shortbread was satisfactory, although they were no match for their popular beloved Scotch Finger biscuit. In last position, Coles brand lacked the distinctive buttery flavour of a shortbread and was a little bland, although Poppy appeared impressed (just between you and me she always looks that way). Again the dunk enhanced the taste which goes to show tea and biscuits are indeed a match made in bikkie heaven.

The final tally placed Unibic as the overall winner on 123 points, closely followed by Butterfingers on 119, Arnott’s 89 and lastly Coles brand on 64 (harsh I know). As you can see there’s not always a correlation between quality and cost with Unibic significantly cheaper than the runner up. It should be noted that Miss Fusspot brought down the score average of Butterfingers because there were ‘bits in it’ (guess you’ve all heard that before).

A final note: Poppy’s usual doggy diet was compromised for this experiment, however as a senior of 12 years she can do whatever she damn well pleases! Lastly the official policy on broken biscuits is as follows. All ‘accidental biscuit breakages’ are deemed kilojoule free and therefore do not count toward your daily calorie count.

As a Scottish person I can tell you that none of those come close to the real thing. Try Walkers shortbread for a proper buttery taste.

View attachment 3184

Thus her results were excluded from the final tally. Each tester rated the shortbreads on a scale of 1 to 10 according to four selection criteria:
  • Visual appeal
  • Size
  • Taste
  • Texture

Visual Appeal and size

Texture

Taste

Shortbread out of Aldi is very nice and cheaper than what you have here

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
I definitely have to agree with Adorableagnes, nothing compares with Walkers Shortbread Biscuit. Coming from a family with Mum & Dad both been Scottish, there was no other shortbread in the house but Walkers Scottish Shortbread. New Years Eve tradition to welcome in visitors to the New Year was always a whisky & Walkers Shortbread. Mind you, Mum loved her cuppa black tea and her shortbread.

View attachment 3184

• Visual appeal
  • Size
  • Taste
  • Texture

Visual Appeal and size

Texture

Taste

Don’t forget my new obsession : shortbread cream tiramisù !!

View attachment 3184

• Visual appeal
  • Size
  • Taste
  • Texture

Visual Appeal and size

Texture

Taste

Excellent review on an extremely important biscuit! Of course preference always goes to home made. Thank you for entertaining comments as well

I definitely have to agree with Adorableagnes, nothing compares with Walkers Shortbread Biscuit. Coming from a family with Mum & Dad both been Scottish, there was no other shortbread in the house but Walkers Scottish Shortbread. New Years Eve tradition to welcome in visitors to the New Year was always a whisky & Walkers Shortbread. Mind you, Mum loved her cuppa black tea and her shortbread.

Great review, but it is either Walkers for me or my own homemade shortbread (may not be perfect in shape) but does melt in the mouth (receipe came from my Scottish side of the family.

Agree...Walkers all the way, but the secret is before you eat them, put into the microwave/or oven for a second or two and reheat the butter in them so that it melts back through the biscuit. The biscuits are made so far in advance the butter goes hard, this does the trick of putting it back through the biscuit. I do this every year when it comes time to have the pleasure of having them at New Year.

View attachment 3184

• Visual appeal
  • Size
  • Taste
  • Texture

Visual Appeal and size

Texture

Taste

Great review - thanks

Great review. We have tried them all but no longer buy any shortbread. My daughter makes the best, taught by a very elderly Scottish great-grandmother (friend) not long before her death. My daughter makes thousands at Christmas time - they are the most appreciated gifts.

Reactions: Ricci