The fiery note this Aussie driver received from a neighbour sparks massive debate

We were all taught to 'love thy neighbour' growing up.

And many of us can always count on our neighbours to watch out for us.

But this Aussie driver was left with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling when they discovered a note stuck to their car window, which came from an irked neighbour.

The driver shared the photo on social media, which began: 'Neighbourhood watch.'

'Please be mindful that you have parked in a four-hour only zone. The area is regularly policed due to airport security, and you are likely to receive an infringement notice.'

'Details have been recorded of your vehicle.'

SDC 7.png
A neighbour left a note on a car parked overnight in a four-hour zone. Image source: Reddit.

The driver admittedly parked overnight in a four-hour zone near her home on the Gold Coast.

She knew she was 'in the wrong' but 'didn’t know anyone cared that much when the street is so empty anyway'.

'In a quiet residential street, but there are so many houses putting bollards out front, so you can’t park there,' the Queensland resident said.

She asked: 'What are the chances I have obtained a fine?'

The responses flooded in, and opinion was unsurprisingly divided, with one saying the neighbour who wrote the note should mind their own business.

'More like neighbourhood b***h,' one sarcastically quipped.

Others seemed to think the neighbour was right, with one saying: 'It’s a friendly warning from a busybody with nothing else to do. Probably accurate, though, if it’s near an airport.'

While another replied: 'Yep, my mate got a council parking fine due to his neighbour sending the council a picture and details of him parking somewhere he shouldn’t.'

'Well, the note does not ask or require you to do anything. You either have a fine, or you don't. If so, you will receive a fine notice. If that happens, deal with it,' a third commented.

The driver was also asked what she meant when she said residents had been 'putting bollards out front'.

She explained that 'bright orange sticks with a heavy black base like a traffic cone but bigger' had been placed around the area to block off parking spots.

One user who claimed they were a council inspector said residents cannot put bollards out on the road.

'I get nasty residents who report people parking in front of their house. They have left cones out, and I end up taking those away,' they said.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian driver sparked a debate after posting a note they received from a neighbour regarding their parking.
  • The note, taped on their car, warned the driver about potential parking fines in the four-hour parking zone they had used overnight.
  • The driver’s post drew a mixed reaction, with some criticising the note-leaver for meddling while others saw it as a helpful warning.
  • A social media user who identified as a council inspector said residents are not allowed to put bollards out to deter parking.
Members, what are your thoughts? Have you experienced something similar in your area? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored

But this Aussie driver was left with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling when they discovered a note stuck to their car window, which came from an irked neighbour.

The driver shared the photo on social media, which began: 'Neighbourhood watch.'

'Please be mindful that you have parked in a four-hour only zone. The area is regularly policed due to airport security, and you are likely to receive an infringement notice.'

View attachment 33485
A neighbour left a note on a car parked overnight in a four-hour zone. Image source: Reddit.

The driver admittedly parked overnight in a four-hour zone near her home on the Gold Coast.

She knew she was 'in the wrong' but 'didn’t know anyone cared that much when the street is so empty anyway'.

'In a quiet residential street, but there are so many houses putting bollards out front, so you can’t park there,' the Queensland resident said.

The responses flooded in, and opinion was unsurprisingly divided, with one saying the neighbour who wrote the note should mind their own business.

Others seemed to think the neighbour was right, with one saying: 'It’s a friendly warning from a busybody with nothing else to do. Probably accurate, though, if it’s near an airport.'

While another replied: 'Yep, my mate got a council parking fine due to his neighbour sending the council a picture and details of him parking somewhere he shouldn’t.'

'Well, the note does not ask or require you to do anything. You either have a fine, or you don't. If so, you will receive a fine notice. If that happens, deal with it,' a third commented.

The driver was also asked what she meant when she said residents had been 'putting bollards out front'.

She explained that 'bright orange sticks with a heavy black base like a traffic cone but bigger' had been placed around the area to block off parking spots.

One user who claimed they were a council inspector said residents cannot put bollards out on the road.

'I get nasty residents who report people parking in front of their house. They have left cones out, and I end up taking those away,' they said.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian driver sparked a debate after posting a note they received from a neighbour regarding their parking.
  • The note, taped on their car, warned the driver about potential parking fines in the four-hour parking zone they had used overnight.
  • The driver’s post drew a mixed reaction, with some criticising the note-leaver for meddling while others saw it as a helpful warning.
  • A social media user who identified as a council inspector said residents are not allowed to put bollards out to deter parking.
Members, what are your thoughts? Have you experienced something similar in your area? Share your stories with us in the comments below!
It’s a four hour area - why illegally park overnight?

Well unfortunately we do not own the street outside our home, it is council/crown land. Unless there are signs restricting parking there I don't think there is much we can do about it .
I must admit though I find it extremely annoying myself, but I live in the country and there is plenty of vacant land around they could park on.
We own the council and crown land is publically owned land held by the state

I think the person who left the note was just a reminder to the car owner that the car was illegally parked after the 4 hours parking limit . That are the rules in that particular area . You should never park in front of driveways , that is a big no no. Park legally and the problem is solved . Too easy.

Reactions: Leenie
Funny enough I had a visitor yesterday that parked on the verge i have a long driveway that’s hard to reverse out of BUT she asked if it was ok to park there WOW coincidence or what ? HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE SENIORS DISCOUNT CLUB AND THE TEAM THAT PUT IT TOGETHER DAILY

I think she was being friendly until I read the last line. A little bipolar there 🙄

However the driver was in the wrong . The signs are there for a reason.

My daughter lives two doors from a school and on many occasions when she arrives home during school pick up she finds cars parked across her driveway and with no street parking left she is forced to drive around the block until the car is moved.
I've told her take a photo and report it to council, or call me and I will wait there until the car owner returns . I live around the corner
id be spitting rivets if I couldn’t get into my own drive! That’s just rude! We live near a school too and our home is in a quiet Court that you need to turn from the main road into. Getting into our street or out of it at school times is an absolute nightmare. No break in the traffic and they won’t let you out. No way. Occasionally a mum will take pity and stop but I’ve sat,sometimes for up to 30 minutes,just to exit the street! Needless to say,we have petitioned ,successfully for lights to be installed up near the school.

Last edited:
If the car is registered, parked properly and no signs restricting parking times, council cannot touch it
I agree, if the vehicle is registered, parked legally, close to kerb, etc, and not breaking council traffic bylaws, it can be parked there as long as the vehicle owner likes, whether it's 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months!!
It might annoy the resident, but it's NOT illegal

If a car is left in front of your house for more than 2 days then I would ring the police and council and notify them of an abandoned car. It will probably be towed away after that. There is no reason for anyone to park a car in front of someone else's house for that long. It is abandoned!!!
It has not been abandoned!!
If the vehicle is registered, parked legally, close to kerb, etc, and not breaking council traffic bylaws, it can be parked there as long as the vehicle owner likes, whether it's 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months!!
It might annoy the resident, but it's NOT illegal.
If the vehicle is unregistered, the Police or Council are NOT legally able to remove the vehicle, without leaving a note giving the registered owner 14 days to remove the vehicle, before authorities can remove it!!

Reactions: Rosi Gordon
The lady knew she parked illegally so I guess was prepared to cop a fine but the Neighbourhood Watch lady needs to mind her own business. I have a dear friend who lives near a cul-de-sac at the back of a high school and so many times she has been abused when she has asked people to not block her driveway or park in her front yard. She was told by one parent to wait a few minutes because her child would be out of school soon. She got in touch with the police and several people got fined for blocking the road and parking around the turning bay for the garbage trucks etc.
WHERE, in the story does it say the Neighbourhood Watch person was/is a FEMALE?
You are assuming that!!

View attachment 33485

Key Takeaways

Who recorded the car's details, was it the neighbourhood watch or the parking inspectors/police. I took it as a warning that they may get booked longer than the 4 hrs. Too many people get their back up on the smallest things and if it is restricted time limit then you need to obey the rules and not think you are entitled.

It has not been abandoned!!
If the vehicle is registered, parked legally, close to kerb, etc, and not breaking council traffic bylaws, it can be parked there as long as the vehicle owner likes, whether it's 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months!!
It might annoy the resident, but it's NOT illegal.
If the vehicle is unregistered, the Police or Council are NOT legally able to remove the vehicle, without leaving a note giving the registered owner 14 days to remove the vehicle, before authorities can remove it!!
My neighbour parked his bomb in front of my house and my own family couldn't park there when visiting. I rang about this car and was told by the council that it wasn't reported stolen or abandoned so it's legal to stay there. Owner said it doesn't work so it has to stay there. Paying my rates gives me no rights what so ever.

I think she was being friendly until I read the last line. A little bipolar there 🙄

However the driver was in the wrong . The signs are there for a reason.

My daughter lives two doors from a school and on many occasions when she arrives home during school pick up she finds cars parked across her driveway and with no street parking left she is forced to drive around the block until the car is moved.
I've told her take a photo and report it to council, or call me and I will wait there until the car owner returns . I live around the corner
Bi polar!!!!Takes one to know one

I agree, if the vehicle is registered, parked legally, close to kerb, etc, and not breaking council traffic bylaws, it can be parked there as long as the vehicle owner likes, whether it's 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months!!
It might annoy the resident, but it's NOT illegal
She was parked in a 4 hour zone, so she was parked illegal as she was parked overnight

Last edited: