The fiery note this Aussie driver received from a neighbour sparks massive debate

We were all taught to 'love thy neighbour' growing up.

And many of us can always count on our neighbours to watch out for us.

But this Aussie driver was left with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling when they discovered a note stuck to their car window, which came from an irked neighbour.

The driver shared the photo on social media, which began: 'Neighbourhood watch.'

'Please be mindful that you have parked in a four-hour only zone. The area is regularly policed due to airport security, and you are likely to receive an infringement notice.'

'Details have been recorded of your vehicle.'

SDC 7.png
A neighbour left a note on a car parked overnight in a four-hour zone. Image source: Reddit.

The driver admittedly parked overnight in a four-hour zone near her home on the Gold Coast.

She knew she was 'in the wrong' but 'didn’t know anyone cared that much when the street is so empty anyway'.

'In a quiet residential street, but there are so many houses putting bollards out front, so you can’t park there,' the Queensland resident said.

She asked: 'What are the chances I have obtained a fine?'

The responses flooded in, and opinion was unsurprisingly divided, with one saying the neighbour who wrote the note should mind their own business.

'More like neighbourhood b***h,' one sarcastically quipped.

Others seemed to think the neighbour was right, with one saying: 'It’s a friendly warning from a busybody with nothing else to do. Probably accurate, though, if it’s near an airport.'

While another replied: 'Yep, my mate got a council parking fine due to his neighbour sending the council a picture and details of him parking somewhere he shouldn’t.'

'Well, the note does not ask or require you to do anything. You either have a fine, or you don't. If so, you will receive a fine notice. If that happens, deal with it,' a third commented.

The driver was also asked what she meant when she said residents had been 'putting bollards out front'.

She explained that 'bright orange sticks with a heavy black base like a traffic cone but bigger' had been placed around the area to block off parking spots.

One user who claimed they were a council inspector said residents cannot put bollards out on the road.

'I get nasty residents who report people parking in front of their house. They have left cones out, and I end up taking those away,' they said.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian driver sparked a debate after posting a note they received from a neighbour regarding their parking.
  • The note, taped on their car, warned the driver about potential parking fines in the four-hour parking zone they had used overnight.
  • The driver’s post drew a mixed reaction, with some criticising the note-leaver for meddling while others saw it as a helpful warning.
  • A social media user who identified as a council inspector said residents are not allowed to put bollards out to deter parking.
Members, what are your thoughts? Have you experienced something similar in your area? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
She was parked in a 2 hour zone, so she was parked illegal as she was parked for more than 2 hours
This reply by DAvidC57 related to a different situation as a reply, not the original story. The original story was a 4 hour parking limit

Reactions: Leenie
We were all taught to 'love thy neighbour' growing up.

And many of us can always count on our neighbours to watch out for us.

But this Aussie driver was left with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling when they discovered a note stuck to their car window, which came from an irked neighbour.

The driver shared the photo on social media, which began: 'Neighbourhood watch.'

'Please be mindful that you have parked in a four-hour only zone. The area is regularly policed due to airport security, and you are likely to receive an infringement notice.'

'Details have been recorded of your vehicle.'

View attachment 33485
A neighbour left a note on a car parked overnight in a four-hour zone. Image source: Reddit.

The driver admittedly parked overnight in a four-hour zone near her home on the Gold Coast.

She knew she was 'in the wrong' but 'didn’t know anyone cared that much when the street is so empty anyway'.

'In a quiet residential street, but there are so many houses putting bollards out front, so you can’t park there,' the Queensland resident said.

She asked: 'What are the chances I have obtained a fine?'

The responses flooded in, and opinion was unsurprisingly divided, with one saying the neighbour who wrote the note should mind their own business.

'More like neighbourhood b***h,' one sarcastically quipped.

Others seemed to think the neighbour was right, with one saying: 'It’s a friendly warning from a busybody with nothing else to do. Probably accurate, though, if it’s near an airport.'

While another replied: 'Yep, my mate got a council parking fine due to his neighbour sending the council a picture and details of him parking somewhere he shouldn’t.'

'Well, the note does not ask or require you to do anything. You either have a fine, or you don't. If so, you will receive a fine notice. If that happens, deal with it,' a third commented.

The driver was also asked what she meant when she said residents had been 'putting bollards out front'.

She explained that 'bright orange sticks with a heavy black base like a traffic cone but bigger' had been placed around the area to block off parking spots.

One user who claimed they were a council inspector said residents cannot put bollards out on the road.

'I get nasty residents who report people parking in front of their house. They have left cones out, and I end up taking those away,' they said.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian driver sparked a debate after posting a note they received from a neighbour regarding their parking.
  • The note, taped on their car, warned the driver about potential parking fines in the four-hour parking zone they had used overnight.
  • The driver’s post drew a mixed reaction, with some criticising the note-leaver for meddling while others saw it as a helpful warning.
  • A social media user who identified as a council inspector said residents are not allowed to put bollards out to deter parking.
Members, what are your thoughts? Have you experienced something similar in your area? Share your stories with us in the comments below!
I think she was LUCKY to hv someone trying to give her a “heads-up” to the regular Parking Officer attendance, so she is now aware.
MORE ppl need to look out for each other is these days of youth crime every four minutes. If more ppl took notice of what is going on, less ppl wld be burgled and attacked.
To hv neighbours who are on the ball and looking out for their own safety, and others, is a godsend.
These ppl may hv suffered attack, burglary, car theft in the past which makes them notice what is going on.
The person who received the note is bloody lucky. Nothing nasty is any of it.
Grow up the rest of you.

• Love
If the car is registered, parked properly and no signs restricting parking times, council cannot touch it
Hahaha! Not all councils think like that! They can always find something- like parked outside 5inches from kerb - that is illegal, or distance from end of a driveway, or a street corner - even if the driver/parker THINKS they are OK.
We need MORE NeighbourHood Watch ppl, not less.

• Love
There are too many people who think 🤔 the law doesn’t apply to them ,and whinge when they are caught, this is how society breaks down , so suck it up and stop ✋ whining and do the right thing there are more important things in life .

My neighbour parked his bomb in front of my house and my own family couldn't park there when visiting. I rang about this car and was told by the council that it wasn't reported stolen or abandoned so it's legal to stay there. Owner said it doesn't work so it has to stay there. Paying my rates gives me no rights what so ever.
Paying rates cover your property not the roads

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Don't think this person has any idea what bipolar is, what on earth does bipolar have to do with this situation.
I think they got it from what I posted saying it sounded a little bipolar with most of her letter sounding nice then the last sentence not so much. I just couldn't figure how they were using bipolar it didn't make sense

You don't own the road or footpath - people have every right to park there, sorry.
i may not own the road but i pay council rates to fix any problems
do people who park in front of your house contribute to maintain that parking space for weeks at a time

You don't own the road or footpath - people have every right to park there, sorry.
not for weeks at a time
you must be one of those people who have no consideration if you think 2 weeks at a time is alright

not for weeks at a time
you must be one of those people who have no consideration if you think 2 weeks at a time is alright
My husband hates people parking in front of our house , I tell him it doesn't belong to us, and if he loses his spot then he has the driveway .
He really hates when the neighbours friend goes away sometimes a month at a time and they have parked their car in front of us, again I tell him we have the driveway
I'm not even going to go to ,if someone leaves their McDonald's rubbish in the gutter .
So he actually has an obsession to make sure he is parked in the front and will even take one of the kids cars so he keeps his parking spot

There is more to life than a parking spot

not for weeks at a time
Thanks for that mitchellowe. No I am not one of those people - I have no need to park anywhere other than my garage. I understand it is annoying but they can legally park there because you do not control the footpath or road out front of your house. You could always approach your neighbour and ask if they could park elsewhere, but you can only ask and accept the answer. Tell your friends to call first so you can provide an option for them to park elsewhere. Life in suburbia - you have to tolerate the annoying things that you cannot control - life is too short to be angry about everything. How about just putting a smile on your face - it really does wonders for your disposition. Don't sweat the small stuff! And maybe, don't be so quick to throw a backhand comment - it speaks more about you!

If I hear one more "ITS UNAUSTRALIAN"🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure what's you would consider AUSTRALIAN anymore???!!!!Hope those those BLOODY FLIES are gentle at your new years barbecue.🤣🤣🤣🤣
Well now, that's definitely Australian. Happy New Year havingadoggyday and I hope you are not still hanging your head over the porcelain!

Well if the last comment us a BIT BY POLAR,then the person saying so must also get bi polar to have made this distinction.
People should leave menral illness diagnostic nabes out if our forum commentary,IRS really mit necessary and frankly offensive to those that maybe or know someone that is The last statement does not in anyway indicate that it's ,"A BUT BI POLAR"... Contradictory?Yes absolutely,but NOT BIPOLAR .If you are going to use these term,learn about it first.Thars all

Well if the last comment us a BIT BY POLAR,then the person saying so must also get bi polar to have made this distinction.
People should leave menral illness diagnostic nabes out if our forum commentary,IRS really mit necessary and frankly offensive to those that maybe or know someone that is The last statement does not in anyway indicate that it's ,"A BUT BI POLAR"... Contradictory?Yes absolutely,but NOT BIPOLAR .If you are going to use these term,learn about it first.Thars all
Sorry my spelling on my tablet is aweful.Maybe my bi polar meds kicking in

Fair comment.