The “genius” hack for cooking healthier and tastier bacon

Bacon has a bad reputation for being unhealthy, and sadly, for good reason. It’s high in saturated fat and cholesterol, which can increase your risk of heart disease, especially when you let it cook in its natural oils and fat.

While you can’t reduce the amount of cholesterol and sodium in this delicious-yet-tragically-unhealthy meat product, did you know that there are cooking methods that can reduce the amount of fat in bacon?

Well, there's no denying that we are as surprised as you when we found out about this one little-known bacon cooking hack shared by a food reviewer on TikTok.

A contributor at the Right Guys Review page shared an inventive tip to cook bacon, which he claims makes the meat tastier and healthier than ever.

Credit: TikTok/Right Guys Review

In the video, the user puts a wooden skewer through the end of the pieces of bacon before placing them through the spaces on the oven shelf.

The food reviewer then places a baking tray covered in tin foil below the meat, noting that the tray will catch the fat that will drip off from the bacon upon cooking.

He then lets the bacon pieces cook inside the oven.

We did not get the details on the temperature and the cooking time of the bacon from the video, but according to the cooking and food review website, delish, the typical oven temperature for cooking bacon is 200 degrees Celsius, while the cooking time is usually 15 to 20 minutes.

Once the bacon pieces are cooked, the user pops them into bread to make a delicious sandwich.

apICcC4u3_OIxOVWXV1mnc3858LqApJKRUMAvYif-CwwCopyIXvzPJYFOLnEXybLMCIsX6YLaCSqpthnV53iX4Mz4F26WmrTA7UZBc0NEB3HDcE0oJV6Rdnljv7kegQsfsN6Dy4
32ip-aRDkNNJFlV_TYAJAtrBnIZNe637lyHf3MgnEVzqA0bd9mmkq2pUwT7-yQfCYeK-nDeu5JumMrju_wh_4WktfFNeEVCWevsyuSAJ-Gc-MOxp3a-UnRNr0uHMDVR9O8SRAMs

The hack allows home cooks to reduce the fat from bacon. Credit: TikTok/Right Guys Review.

The hack captured the attention of TikTok users, praising the food reviewer for his "genius" cooking tip.

One person wrote: “I’ll try this next time hahaha.”

“Nice idea,” said another.

A third chimed in: “Brilliant gonna try that mate looks good.”

Meanwhile, a number of users pointed out that the liquid that was dripping off the bacon was not fat, claiming that it was actually water.

One comment read: “That’s the added water dripping, not fat.”

“Yea there’s lots of liquid on the tray that’s because of all the water they inject into bacon before it’s cut,” another quipped.

A third added: “It’s bacon, if you’re going to have it might as well have it properly.”

Will you give this bacon cooking method a go, or are you a traditionalist?

Sponsored

Bacon has a bad reputation for being unhealthy, and sadly, for good reason. It’s high in saturated fat and cholesterol, which can increase your risk of heart disease, especially when you let it cook in its natural oils and fat.

While you can’t reduce the amount of cholesterol and sodium in this delicious-yet-tragically-unhealthy meat product, did you know that there are cooking methods that can reduce the amount of fat in bacon?

Well, there's no denying that we are as surprised as you when we found out about this one little-known bacon cooking hack shared by a food reviewer on TikTok.

A contributor at the Right Guys Review page shared an inventive tip to cook bacon, which he claims makes the meat tastier and healthier than ever.

In the video, the user puts a wooden skewer through the end of the pieces of bacon before placing them through the spaces on the oven shelf.

The food reviewer then places a baking tray covered in tin foil below the meat, noting that the tray will catch the fat that will drip off from the bacon upon cooking.

We did not get the details on the temperature and the cooking time of the bacon from the video, but according to the cooking and food review website, delish, the typical oven temperature for cooking bacon is 200 degrees Celsius, while the cooking time is usually 15 to 20 minutes.

Once the bacon pieces are cooked, the user pops them into bread to make a delicious sandwich.

apICcC4u3_OIxOVWXV1mnc3858LqApJKRUMAvYif-CwwCopyIXvzPJYFOLnEXybLMCIsX6YLaCSqpthnV53iX4Mz4F26WmrTA7UZBc0NEB3HDcE0oJV6Rdnljv7kegQsfsN6Dy4
32ip-aRDkNNJFlV_TYAJAtrBnIZNe637lyHf3MgnEVzqA0bd9mmkq2pUwT7-yQfCYeK-nDeu5JumMrju_wh_4WktfFNeEVCWevsyuSAJ-Gc-MOxp3a-UnRNr0uHMDVR9O8SRAMs

The hack allows home cooks to reduce the fat from bacon. Credit: TikTok/Right Guys Review.

The hack captured the attention of TikTok users, praising the food reviewer for his "genius" cooking tip.

Meanwhile, a number of users pointed out that the liquid that was dripping off the bacon was not fat, claiming that it was actually water.

“Yea there’s lots of liquid on the tray that’s because of all the water they inject into bacon before it’s cut,” another quipped.

A third added: “It’s bacon, if you’re going to have it might as well have it properly.”

Sorry buddy it’s not just the fat in bacon that makes it unhealthy… far worse fur you are all the chemicals & additives that are used in the curing process & sugar(the bug bad one) that causes spikes in insulin & promotes far stores…bacon is not a he’s option!!

Dry and ordinary,did we all know that amount of bacon youhave has very little impact on your health that is to say a normal serve enjoy.

Where can I buy bacon that tastes like it used to taste, where one is salivating to the smell of it cooking. Nowadays it tastes like the bottom of a shoe!

It isn't bacon that causes heart desease. Carbs and sugar do. Fat burns fat and lowers insulin. Research the carnivore dite. They have more proof than Ancel Keys could summon up.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
If you can buy your bacon from a butcher who either smokes or brines their own then it's not fatty and is much tastier.

Reactions: Ricci and Gaena
I rarely eat bacon 🥓 and only buy the thick part. I wouldn’t eat it in a sandwich would out butter either. I don’t like bacon or ham that’s strongly smoked as it makes me nauseous.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Where can I buy bacon that tastes like it used to taste, where one is salivating to the smell of it cooking. Nowadays it tastes like the bottom of a shoe!
I buy my bacon from Costco, it’s the best bacon ever. Very thinly sliced and Australian so happy with that. I can’t remember the name but it comes in a cryo pack. I cook mine in the air fryer and it’s delicious

Dry and ordinary,did we all know that amount of bacon youhave has very little impact on your health that is to say a normal serve enjoy.
There’s a reason bacon has a bad reputation, that’s because it’s unhealthy, regardless of how they market it!!

Julie 1, Bacon seems a no-no for you If you feel nauseous. Smoked ham is a no-no with you also??? I am SO lucky then because in small doses I eat everything. Bacon in the oven transferred to sandwiiches IS a delight.. AND
when I get to 100 in a few years I am going to thank the three little pigs for my health. I have always read how bacon is unhealthy but STILL I use small proportions in cooking for taste.

Julie 1, Bacon seems a no-no for you If you feel nauseous. Smoked ham is a no-no with you also??? I am SO lucky then because in small doses I eat everything. Bacon in the oven transferred to sandwiiches IS a delight.. AND
when I get to 100 in a few years I am going to thank the three little pigs for my health. I have always read how bacon is unhealthy but STILL I use small proportions in cooking for taste.
Esma Rose,
I can’t remember everything I wrote about bacon.
I have GORD which I didn’t mention as it was too much information. If googled it explains a lot. Other things beside bacon upset my GORD.
It’s more the fat content of bacon or anything, which also was making me vomit, beside the nausea.
I’d been unwell for many months. Only living on toast, sugar free jam, mashed potato and bread rolls.
An investigation found a hiatus hernia which made my GORD worse. Double medication has improved my health.