Sunnyboys may still be around - but not the way you think!

There’s nothing quite like a cold, refreshing ice block on a hot summer day, right?

While there are heaps of different brands and flavours to choose from but sometimes nothing hits the spot quite like a classic.

Chances are, one of your favourites growing up was the iconic Sunnyboys!

Unfortunately for those who still have fond memories (and cravings) for the sultry summer treat, we bring information that might have you rethinking the ice block.

Russ Eats, a popular food reviewer, recently shared a startling observation when he was featured on Ben Fordham’s show.

You see, he claimed to cite an anonymous source that Sunnyboys are the same thing as Zooper Doopers, only in different packaging!

qxQR6P01TqAqnc6uE8Ooh76Lszi6cDWvUwDwQ-CRoNvunhYyEzq8MhJrRaVg61qdoiYAvX6--IbFX2No6VxWFXeNTXQV1a0ukVsjvUIuIbX4_16FAM9S4vmQHp5NJJ_pOp0BSxYTrLkmvg97t9LYFaHJD7l_VNOH5GCaCoZJVSyRVvI2NfppYYYmkOGSBw

Sunnyboys and Zooper Doopers are the same, Russ suspects. Credit: Australian Food Timeline​

He told Ben: ‘I (directly messaged) them (the manufacturers) on Facebook to ask… but they can't confirm.’

‘They are owned by the same company,’ Rus pointed out.

True enough, Zooper Dooper is among the brands listed on Bega’s website. The company also bought Lion, the former manufacturer of Sunnyboys, in 2020.

Unfazed and determined to prove his point, Russ said jokingly: 'So if you miss Sunnyboys… just get whatever shape that is and dip a Zooper Dooper in… It's the only way we can confirm it.’

In 2016, Sunnyboys were discontinued over low demand, much to the dismay of generations who grew up with it.

They came in four flavours: Orange Explosion, Glug Cola, Razz Raspberry, and Pine Lime Pow.

Meanwhile, Zooper Doopers are a common sight in grocery stores, and come in eight flavours, including fairy floss, cola, lime, orange, pineapple, blackcurrant, and raspberry.

Earlier this year, Russ talked a bit about some awfully missed Aussie snacks and drinks, and he mentioned Sunnyboys. Take a look:

Source: TikTok/@russ.eats

Zooper Doopers aren’t the only thing Russ took aim at though. His second target is another Aussie classic: Tim Tams!

He dropped another bombshell on Ben (and the rest of us) with his claim that Arnott’s hasn’t really been honest when it comes to new flavours of Tim Tams — and that’s him speaking allegedly as a former employee!

wcuWXh1HIpa5hw7MVH2mW7WVY2CcmwQFp0Gq3o47h2Vb4lCmLeRY8jFbCZSWn5qawjJzRB0s__8meCSiCk0qj-RCWznGXZtUKhejYYYveH3lbAGoADgUm2m6IOWmlRUHrUqne2709ZbVtcFvVU66tkDgD9Kw4AxZ1q7XZ-5UDkAmPDOLU_mzzMBY2ck7vA

Tim Tam manufacturer Arnott’s hasn’t been honest about its ‘new’ flavours, Russ claims. Credit: Arnott’s

‘Just after Christmas, there's usually a new range. So it's four flavours in a specific range. And that changes up every year, then there's usually two to three new flavours in between that until the next range will fall,’ Russ said.
‘Sometimes they lie to the consumer and say it's a new flavour when they just rebadged an old one. They could have changed one or two things… but not enough to say it's a new flavour.’

He added: ‘Just like the butterscotch and the Murray Salted River Caramel… they are identical.’

Excuse us while we question everything for a bit… kidding!

Key Takeaways

• TikTok foodie Russ Eats claimed that the discontinued iced treat Sunnyboys is the exact same thing as the Zooper Dooper, just with different packaging.
  • Sunnyboys have been discontinued since 2016.
  • Russ also claimed that Arnott's hasn't really been honest with its 'new' flavours, saying that they're only rehashed from earlier ones.
  • He also shared KitKat's Chunky Milo Bars as his choice for 2022's 'best treat'.
Of course, the year is drawing to a close and you might be curious what Russ thinks has been the best collaboration so far food-wise, or at least as far as sweet treats go.

His answer?

KitKat’s Chunky Milo Bar! The product is sold for about $2 a piece, according to KitKat’s website.

‘I don’t think it’s just the best collaboration, I think it’s the best treat of the year,’ he said.

Now, if Russ sounds familiar to you, it’s probably because we’ve featured him every now and then with his reviews.

If you have time, be sure to check out his take on the sad news of Cadbury’s discontinued item, and another review on this drink that Macca’s stopped selling.

And of course, take a trip down memory lane with this list of Aussie snacks we want back, pronto!

So, do you think Sunnyboys and Zooper Doopers taste the same?

Tell us your reactions and comments below!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
They definitely don't taste the same.

I remember seeing sunny boys in coles up to a couple years back and purchased a few so my family could try something I had when I was small, remembering that they had only cost 5c
Sunny Boys didn't taste how they used to unless my taste had changed but still didn't taste like zooper doopers either , my kids and grandchildren love zooper doopers

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
There’s nothing quite like a cold, refreshing ice block on a hot summer day, right?

While there are heaps of different brands and flavours to choose from but sometimes nothing hits the spot quite like a classic.

Unfortunately for those who still have fond memories (and cravings) for the sultry summer treat, we bring information that might have you rethinking the ice block.

Russ Eats, a popular food reviewer, recently shared a startling observation when he was featured on Ben Fordham’s show.

You see, he claimed to cite an anonymous source that Sunnyboys are the same thing as Zooper Doopers, only in different packaging!

qxQR6P01TqAqnc6uE8Ooh76Lszi6cDWvUwDwQ-CRoNvunhYyEzq8MhJrRaVg61qdoiYAvX6--IbFX2No6VxWFXeNTXQV1a0ukVsjvUIuIbX4_16FAM9S4vmQHp5NJJ_pOp0BSxYTrLkmvg97t9LYFaHJD7l_VNOH5GCaCoZJVSyRVvI2NfppYYYmkOGSBw

Sunnyboys and Zooper Doopers are the same, Russ suspects. Credit: Australian Food Timeline​

He told Ben: ‘I (directly messaged) them (the manufacturers) on Facebook to ask… but they can't confirm.’

True enough, Zooper Dooper is among the brands listed on Bega’s website. The company also bought Lion, the former manufacturer of Sunnyboys, in 2020.

Unfazed and determined to prove his point, Russ said jokingly: 'So if you miss Sunnyboys… just get whatever shape that is and dip a Zooper Dooper in… It's the only way we can confirm it.’

In 2016, Sunnyboys were discontinued over low demand, much to the dismay of generations who grew up with it.

They came in four flavours: Orange Explosion, Glug Cola, Razz Raspberry, and Pine Lime Pow.

Meanwhile, Zooper Doopers are a common sight in grocery stores, and come in eight flavours, including fairy floss, cola, lime, orange, pineapple, blackcurrant, and raspberry.

Earlier this year, Russ talked a bit about some awfully missed Aussie snacks and drinks, and he mentioned Sunnyboys. Take a look:

Zooper Doopers aren’t the only thing Russ took aim at though. His second target is another Aussie classic: Tim Tams!

He dropped another bombshell on Ben (and the rest of us) with his claim that Arnott’s hasn’t really been honest when it comes to new flavours of Tim Tams — and that’s him speaking allegedly as a former employee!

wcuWXh1HIpa5hw7MVH2mW7WVY2CcmwQFp0Gq3o47h2Vb4lCmLeRY8jFbCZSWn5qawjJzRB0s__8meCSiCk0qj-RCWznGXZtUKhejYYYveH3lbAGoADgUm2m6IOWmlRUHrUqne2709ZbVtcFvVU66tkDgD9Kw4AxZ1q7XZ-5UDkAmPDOLU_mzzMBY2ck7vA

Tim Tam manufacturer Arnott’s hasn’t been honest about its ‘new’ flavours, Russ claims. Credit: Arnott’s

‘Just after Christmas, there's usually a new range. So it's four flavours in a specific range. And that changes up every year, then there's usually two to three new flavours in between that until the next range will fall,’ Russ said.
‘Sometimes they lie to the consumer and say it's a new flavour when they just rebadged an old one. They could have changed one or two things… but not enough to say it's a new flavour.’

He added: ‘Just like the butterscotch and the Murray Salted River Caramel… they are identical.’

Key Takeaways

• TikTok foodie Russ Eats claimed that the discontinued iced treat Sunnyboys is the exact same thing as the Zooper Dooper, just with different packaging.
  • Russ also claimed that Arnott's hasn't really been honest with its 'new' flavours, saying that they're only rehashed from earlier ones.
  • He also shared KitKat's Chunky Milo Bars as his choice for 2022's 'best treat'.
Of course, the year is drawing to a close and you might be curious what Russ thinks has been the best collaboration so far food-wise, or at least as far as sweet treats go.

His answer?

KitKat’s Chunky Milo Bar! The product is sold for about $2 a piece, according to KitKat’s website.

‘I don’t think it’s just the best collaboration, I think it’s the best treat of the year,’ he said.

Now, if Russ sounds familiar to you, it’s probably because we’ve featured him every now and then with his reviews.

If you have time, be sure to check out his take on the sad news of Cadbury’s discontinued item, and another review on this drink that Macca’s stopped selling.

And of course, take a trip down memory lane with this list of Aussie snacks we want back, pronto!

So, when I was a kid, these drinks were called Jubbly's, and mum used to put them in the fridge the night before so they would be frozen for school the next day. Anyone remember those - the same pyramid shape

In South Australia in the 60s and 70s the orange flavour was Sunny Boy and the raspberry was Razz, there weren’t different flavours of Sunny Boy. As kids we were allowed 2 show bags at the Royal Show (thought we were sooo lucky) and Sunny Boy was always my first choice. I used to buy those Show Bags for my boys in the 80s and 90s if available too. As far as the comments on the different Tim Tam flavours, if you stick to the original you aren’t getting duped by marketing .. I think the originals are the best and it doesn’t need to be messed with 😊

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
Not sure if the flavours are the same. Perhaps it's the way we had to eat the Sunnyboy. It was definitely a test of the sensitivity of our teeth. Munching like a dog on a bone. Zooper doopers break off and melt too quickly. So I think it may be the process not the taste we miss.

Key Takeaways

His answer?

Rather than chase round different stores to find these I just go to Aldi and buy the 6 pack of pure orange juice tetras, freeze then eat just like the orange sunny boys I used to love as a kid 50 odd yrs ago

Reactions: SandyM and debjane
Found sunny boys in my local Woolworths still taste as I remember just smaller and way more expensive