Strange new security gates at Coles are creeping out shoppers: ‘What’s going on here?’

Going grocery shopping is one that many look forward to. However, gone are the days of leisurely meandering through aisle after aisle and building relationships with checkout staff.

Nowadays, the majority head straight for the self-serve checkout tills, and while they’re generally straightforward to use and a good time-saver, they come with their own set of hassles.

Recently, shoppers have noticed a strange new addition at the self-serve checkout areas of Coles supermarkets across Australia: electronic gate systems.

Scores of Aussies have seen the 'bizarre' new installations and talked about it on social media platforms, labelling them 'creepy' and 'intimidating'.

qax797j24y1c1.jpeg
Coles Supermarkets have implemented an electronic gate system against theft. Image: Reddit

So why has Coles gone to the trouble of installing these ominous-looking security gates? Well, the supermarket chain has seen a 20 per cent rise in theft this year, and the roll-out of these gates is the final step in a system designed to help reduce this.

The gates feature cameras that track all items that are placed in bags. If discrepancies are detected between what’s on the screen and what’s in the bag, the gate will shut, and an alarm will sound—this is meant to deter any would-be thieves from leaving the store with unpaid goods.

Coles is also using the latest anti-theft technology to prevent people from getting away with items in their trolleys. Wheels on the new trolleys will completely lock up the moment they leave the store.

A spokesperson from Coles said: 'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

The new technology also tracks customers while they’re in the store, recording how long they spend in each aisle before reaching the self-serve checkout.

Some shoppers who have been caught at the checkout or seen someone else get caught by the mysterious new gates were not too pleased about the situation.

One woman on social media said: 'Now you're locked into Coles. I couldn't get out of the self-serve checkout once I'd finished my shopping 'til they looked at my receipt and pressed a button for the new glass gates.'

Other customers voiced similar sentiments, with one saying: 'Maybe they should just create jobs and reopen checkouts and stop self-serve?'

Screenshot 2023-11-24 084548.png
A shopper was outraged by the newly implemented technology at Coles. Image: TikTok / @feefeegirl8

The woman also noticed that the same gates had also been installed at the staffed checkouts after passing through.

'So it's not enough that they are price gouging and ripping us off, they now lock you into Coles, and you can't get out,' the Coles shopper added.

The woman also sought answers saying, 'I asked the lady "What's going on here? Are we locked in here now?" and she's like, "Oh no no no" and I go, "Well, it doesn't seem to open when anyone walks up to it".'

The Coles shopper added an explanation on her video that once the bags have been checked, the employee needs to push a button in order for the gates to open.

However, Coles is sure to have taken into account the rise in theft and ultimately done what they believe is best to protect their customers and inventory.

Furthermore, Woolworths has also started implementing similar anti-theft measures, so you can expect to find similar gates in-store at Woolies too.

You can watch the shopper’s full video below:

Key Takeaways
  • Coles has introduced a new electronic gate system in the self-serve checkout areas to deter theft, which has sparked conversation among customers.
  • If discrepancies are found between items scanned and bagged, smart gates will shut, and an alarm will sound. If a suspected thief still tries to leave, the wheels on the high-tech trolleys will lock up.
  • The system, which includes security cameras and electronic article surveillance, tracks customers from the moment they enter the store until they reach the self-checkout.
  • Some customers have voiced their dissatisfaction with the measures, suggesting the supermarket invest in more staff instead.

Have you seen these new security gates in your local Coles? What was your reaction? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Going grocery shopping is one that many look forward to. However, gone are the days of leisurely meandering through aisle after aisle and building relationships with checkout staff.

Nowadays, the majority head straight for the self-serve checkout tills, and while they’re generally straightforward to use and a good time-saver, they come with their own set of hassles.

Recently, shoppers have noticed a strange new addition at the self-serve checkout areas of Coles supermarkets across Australia: electronic gate systems.

Scores of Aussies have seen the 'bizarre' new installations and talked about it on social media platforms, labelling them 'creepy' and 'intimidating'.

View attachment 35644
Coles Supermarkets have implemented an electronic gate system against theft. Image: Reddit

So why has Coles gone to the trouble of installing these ominous-looking security gates? Well, the supermarket chain has seen a 20 per cent rise in theft this year, and the roll-out of these gates is the final step in a system designed to help reduce this.

The gates feature cameras that track all items that are placed in bags. If discrepancies are detected between what’s on the screen and what’s in the bag, the gate will shut, and an alarm will sound—this is meant to deter any would-be thieves from leaving the store with unpaid goods.

Coles is also using the latest anti-theft technology to prevent people from getting away with items in their trolleys. Wheels on the new trolleys will completely lock up the moment they leave the store.

A spokesperson from Coles said: 'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

The new technology also tracks customers while they’re in the store, recording how long they spend in each aisle before reaching the self-serve checkout.

Some shoppers who have been caught at the checkout or seen someone else get caught by the mysterious new gates were not too pleased about the situation.

One woman on social media said: 'Now you're locked into Coles. I couldn't get out of the self-serve checkout once I'd finished my shopping 'til they looked at my receipt and pressed a button for the new glass gates.'

Other customers voiced similar sentiments, with one saying: 'Maybe they should just create jobs and reopen checkouts and stop self-serve?'

View attachment 35645
A shopper was outraged by the newly implemented technology at Coles. Image: TikTok / @feefeegirl8

The woman also noticed that the same gates had also been installed at the staffed checkouts after passing through.

'So it's not enough that they are price gouging and ripping us off, they now lock you into Coles, and you can't get out,' the Coles shopper added.

The woman also sought answers saying, 'I asked the lady "What's going on here? Are we locked in here now?" and she's like, "Oh no no no" and I go, "Well, it doesn't seem to open when anyone walks up to it".'

The Coles shopper added an explanation on her video that once the bags have been checked, the employee needs to push a button in order for the gates to open.

However, Coles is sure to have taken into account the rise in theft and ultimately done what they believe is best to protect their customers and inventory.

Furthermore, Woolworths has also started implementing similar anti-theft measures, so you can expect to find similar gates in-store at Woolies too.

Key Takeaways

• Coles has introduced a new electronic gate system in the self-serve checkout areas to deter theft, which has sparked conversation among customers.
  • If discrepancies are found between items scanned and bagged, smart gates will shut, and an alarm will sound. If a suspected thief still tries to leave, the wheels on the high-tech trolleys will lock up.
  • The system, which includes security cameras and electronic article surveillance, tracks customers from the moment they enter the store until they reach the self-checkout.
  • Some customers have voiced their dissatisfaction with the measures, suggesting the supermarket invest in more staff instead.

Have you seen these new security gates in your local Coles? What was your reaction? Let us know in the comments below!

NO I have not seen them and anyway they would not bother me as I DONT USE SLEF SERVE CHECKOUTS... I do NOT GET PAID to check out my purchase choices... now if they gave me a 50% discount I would think about it... At the moment I would keep a person employed that give my time away for free

NO I have not seen them and anyway they would not bother me as I DONT USE SLEF SERVE CHECKOUTS... I do NOT GET PAID to check out my purchase choices... now if they gave me a 50% discount I would think about it... At the moment I would keep a person employed that give my time away for free
If I only have a few items I will use the self checkouts as I want to be in and out. My time spent waiting at manned checkouts out ways by far the ammount of time I spend at self serve. My time is money 💰

We were at Coles yesterday, and they have implemented an electronic gate system on normal checkout as well with operators. We were at Casey Central, you have to pass through these gates to get out of the store no matter what type of checkout you use. And the trollies with the locking wheel, the wheel is larger than the standard wheels, which cause the trolley to have a mind of its own, worse on a hill or near a gutter. Funny how many staff at Coles are walking around doing nothing or having a chit chat down the aisle as well, while we are forced to line up to get served.

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

Yes they're at the Coles I shop at and they're a great nuisance. I use a mobility scooter when shopping and even though all my goods are always paid for I am still unable to proceed through the gates, there is simply not enough room for my mobility scooter to pass through! I know I'm not the only person with disabilities that require mobility aids that shop at any Coles, why then are we prevented from leaving the store because the gates won't open wide enough to allow us to pass through???

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

Hahahaha - this is soooooooooo Bl**dy funny. I DONT want to use the self-serve area, but it is becoming harder and harder not too as Coles are closing increasingly more staffed tellers or are limiting the time, they are open. I have no problem of being scanned or watched (BigBrother) as I shop because I know I have always paid for everything. But the day they stop me, and it is proven that I have paid for everything, they better be ready with their free vouchers and a formal apology (in writing) for the embarrassment that they have caused me.

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

If you have not stolen anything, what’s the problem? The only people complaining would be guilty people. Retailers are being ripped off all the time, it’s about time they’re fighting back.

Thank God for IGA BUNDABERG....none of this crap. I gave Coles away almost 2 years ago while trying to get home deliveries. Twice copped abuse from a male supervisor at Kensington (on the phone) then delivery man decided to bring in what I'd struggled to get inside the door (I'm 81 and disabled). I realised while unpacking that the rest of my stuff....meat, cheese, eggs and icecream were all left outside.
At IGA CENTRAL we have beautiful staff, including at checkouts, who will help you with anything and always with gorgeous smiles. Rodney and staff thank you, I LOVE YOU ALL.
Forgot to say ALL deliveries of purchases over $100 are FREE. Works well for me as I only shop every 2 weeks.

Last edited:
AGHH, I haven't noticed this at my local Coles, yet. No doubt it will not be far away. Sounds like what the banks are doing - sending everyone to ATMs and electronic banking, closing branches, heavily reducing customer service and reducing staff

Hahahaha - this is soooooooooo Bl**dy funny. I DONT want to use the self-serve area, but it is becoming harder and harder not too as Coles are closing increasingly more staffed tellers or are limiting the time, they are open. I have no problem of being scanned or watched (BigBrother) as I shop because I know I have always paid for everything. But the day they stop me, and it is proven that I have paid for everything, they better be ready with their free vouchers and a formal apology (in writing) for the embarrassment that they have caused me.
I agree. I make sure I have a receipt for everything in my trolley and even offer to to show as I exit the various stores.

I do wish people would get over themselves. Complaints about self serve, complaints about queues at manned checkouts, complaints about gates, locking wheels on trolleys.
For heaven's sake, do your shop, make your choice, shut up and go home
Simple, if you're not stealing what are you worrying about
What would you do if it was your store, just let people steal from you.
Unfortunately, shoplifters don't have a big sign on their forehead stating they are shoplifters

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

Well it's a pretty sad state of affairs when this sort of thing has to happen. I understand it fully. I realise that Coles and the others make billions each year and maybe could drop prices (sell more for less still make a profit) but I guess they have to do something. Biggest issue if see here is they cannot hold someone on suspicion but they are going to get away with it. No matter what under the law unless they call it a citizens arrest and say so they cannot arrest people or detain them only the police can do that. Security guards can't either. If they stop you when you have done nothing, you can say no and if they physically hold you, you can have them charged with assault. They can ask and you can comply but it must be free will

I do wish people would get over themselves. Complaints about self serve, complaints about queues at manned checkouts, complaints about gates, locking wheels on trolleys.
For heaven's sake, do your shop, make your choice, shut up and go home
Simple, if you're not stealing what are you worrying about
What would you do if it was your store, just let people steal from you.
Unfortunately, shoplifters don't have a big sign on their forehead stating they are shoplifters
Yes it's the times we live in. But it's gone before during the depression.. There will always be theft. We just have to live with the solutions but be aware if we aren't doing anything wrong the law is on our side

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

It is disgusting that anyone would steal from any shop but
These supermarkets are “reaping what they have sewn”!
They are the ones who put temptation in front of the ”unemployed” customer doing what a “paid”worker should be doing.
Then when there is a rise in theft then they cry!
Its simple someone taking an item as payment for doing the work of a now unemployed Coles worker.
Watch Aldi start to whinge about increase in theft now they have decided to introduce “Selfserve” checkouts!

Costing these supermarkets $millions to install security but they do not have to pay humans a wage, holiday and sick leave and superannuation saving them $billions!

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

I was told, early in the time of "Self Service" petrol pumps that the boss could NOT put gates on the forecourt as that could result in a charge of FALSE IMPRISONMENT.

Reactions: Ezzy and bluetang
Still not using self serve checkouts, I had 1 item the other day as I had forgot it and I went thru the 15 or less lane at Woollies being manned by real people. thanks very much
Woolies at Erina Fair recently closed the serviced express checkouts.

Reactions: Ezzy
Coles and Woolies have been underpaying farmers and even other food providers for years, while over charging customers and thus forcing up inflation; in other words 'stealing' and then complain when people steal from them. Drop the prices and bring back serviced checkouts and the rates of theft will drop.

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

They are looking at the theft problem all wrong, and complicating the entire shopping experience. As others have said, re-open service checkouts, employ people and get rid of self-serve, as a supermarket chain in the north of England has already done.