Strange new security gates at Coles are creeping out shoppers: ‘What’s going on here?’

Going grocery shopping is one that many look forward to. However, gone are the days of leisurely meandering through aisle after aisle and building relationships with checkout staff.

Nowadays, the majority head straight for the self-serve checkout tills, and while they’re generally straightforward to use and a good time-saver, they come with their own set of hassles.

Recently, shoppers have noticed a strange new addition at the self-serve checkout areas of Coles supermarkets across Australia: electronic gate systems.

Scores of Aussies have seen the 'bizarre' new installations and talked about it on social media platforms, labelling them 'creepy' and 'intimidating'.

qax797j24y1c1.jpeg
Coles Supermarkets have implemented an electronic gate system against theft. Image: Reddit

So why has Coles gone to the trouble of installing these ominous-looking security gates? Well, the supermarket chain has seen a 20 per cent rise in theft this year, and the roll-out of these gates is the final step in a system designed to help reduce this.

The gates feature cameras that track all items that are placed in bags. If discrepancies are detected between what’s on the screen and what’s in the bag, the gate will shut, and an alarm will sound—this is meant to deter any would-be thieves from leaving the store with unpaid goods.

Coles is also using the latest anti-theft technology to prevent people from getting away with items in their trolleys. Wheels on the new trolleys will completely lock up the moment they leave the store.

A spokesperson from Coles said: 'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

The new technology also tracks customers while they’re in the store, recording how long they spend in each aisle before reaching the self-serve checkout.

Some shoppers who have been caught at the checkout or seen someone else get caught by the mysterious new gates were not too pleased about the situation.

One woman on social media said: 'Now you're locked into Coles. I couldn't get out of the self-serve checkout once I'd finished my shopping 'til they looked at my receipt and pressed a button for the new glass gates.'

Other customers voiced similar sentiments, with one saying: 'Maybe they should just create jobs and reopen checkouts and stop self-serve?'

Screenshot 2023-11-24 084548.png
A shopper was outraged by the newly implemented technology at Coles. Image: TikTok / @feefeegirl8

The woman also noticed that the same gates had also been installed at the staffed checkouts after passing through.

'So it's not enough that they are price gouging and ripping us off, they now lock you into Coles, and you can't get out,' the Coles shopper added.

The woman also sought answers saying, 'I asked the lady "What's going on here? Are we locked in here now?" and she's like, "Oh no no no" and I go, "Well, it doesn't seem to open when anyone walks up to it".'

The Coles shopper added an explanation on her video that once the bags have been checked, the employee needs to push a button in order for the gates to open.

However, Coles is sure to have taken into account the rise in theft and ultimately done what they believe is best to protect their customers and inventory.

Furthermore, Woolworths has also started implementing similar anti-theft measures, so you can expect to find similar gates in-store at Woolies too.

You can watch the shopper’s full video below:

Key Takeaways
  • Coles has introduced a new electronic gate system in the self-serve checkout areas to deter theft, which has sparked conversation among customers.
  • If discrepancies are found between items scanned and bagged, smart gates will shut, and an alarm will sound. If a suspected thief still tries to leave, the wheels on the high-tech trolleys will lock up.
  • The system, which includes security cameras and electronic article surveillance, tracks customers from the moment they enter the store until they reach the self-checkout.
  • Some customers have voiced their dissatisfaction with the measures, suggesting the supermarket invest in more staff instead.

Have you seen these new security gates in your local Coles? What was your reaction? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Stop saying they should employ more staff, they should stop checking bags and stop 'spying' on us. It is a sign of the times. And stop saying you only shop at IGA. Do you really think they are cheaper than Coles, Woolworths and Aldi? Think again.

If the larger supermarkets let thieves get away with thieving then we, the honest customers, will be paying the price - the price of increased costs - and you will whinge again that prices are going up. We need more security to, hopefully, catch those thieves. Staff ARE in the background doing the filling of orders that many, many people - some (only some) are too lazy to go out and do their own shopping. Who do you complainers think fills those orders - Mr Nobody!!? Yes, a few more manned checkouts would be welcomed but that will mean delays in filling online orders. Which does one choose?

I have no qualms about staff requesting they check my bags, I keep receipts of purchases from other stores and show the bag/s and receipts without being asked to. Whether it is groceries or any other purchases you can expect to be asked to show your bags. No big deal if you've done nothing wrong.

GET OVER IT AND DON'T COMPLAIN. IT IS A SIGN OF THE TIMES OR THE HONEST WILL HAVE TO KEEP PAY FOR THE DISHONEST.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: siameezer
Perhaps
I was told, early in the time of "Self Service" petrol pumps that the boss could NOT put gates on the forecourt as that could result in a charge of FALSE IMPRISONMENT.
Perhaps, Brian, that was then - unfortunately for us, the older generation, this is now. How much in our lives (as the so-called oldies) has everything changed, including laws, IT and AI keeping an eye on us and everything else? Something as simple as a car (from which one gave hand signals!!) has changed from mostly manual to, now I believe, mostly automatic, and electronic, with all the 'bells and whistles'.

There are some things I struggle a bit with also. We just have to move forward now and try to keep up with things or everything we do will be outdated, unrecognisable or unusable.

Good luck, everyone - move with the times as best you can.

PRECISELY!
I do wish people would get over themselves. Complaints about self serve, complaints about queues at manned checkouts, complaints about gates, locking wheels on trolleys.
For heaven's sake, do your shop, make your choice, shut up and go home
Simple, if you're not stealing what are you worrying about
What would you do if it was your store, just let people steal from you.
Unfortunately, shoplifters don't have a big sign on their forehead stating they are shoplifters

I do wish people would get over themselves. Complaints about self serve, complaints about queues at manned checkouts, complaints about gates, locking wheels on trolleys.
Unfortunately, shoplifters don't have a big sign on their forehead stating they are shoplifters
We all have a bee in our bonnet, from time to time. I agree some do go on and on, however, to blindly accept, without question, is dangerous. We live in a country, where, for the time being, we can voice an opinion, without being impriosoned or punished. People power does work and decisions have been reversed.
This not just about shop lifting, there is a bigger picture at play, here.
We all have an opinion and there are times where we will agree to disagree.

I shopped at Coles this morning and waited a few minutes to be served. The young man on the checkout was delightful and even put my bags in my trolley, which I did not need him to do. Well done!

Reactions: siameezer and DLHM
Another drama queen (@feefeegirl8) with her video being posted. I actually watched it and cringed 😬. Sounds like she is claustrophobic. Perhaps it might ease her anxiety if she put some thought into planning ahead to avoid emergencies? 🤔

Going grocery shopping is one that many look forward to. However, gone are the days of leisurely meandering through aisle after aisle and building relationships with checkout staff.

Nowadays, the majority head straight for the self-serve checkout tills, and while they’re generally straightforward to use and a good time-saver, they come with their own set of hassles.

Recently, shoppers have noticed a strange new addition at the self-serve checkout areas of Coles supermarkets across Australia: electronic gate systems.

Scores of Aussies have seen the 'bizarre' new installations and talked about it on social media platforms, labelling them 'creepy' and 'intimidating'.

View attachment 35644
Coles Supermarkets have implemented an electronic gate system against theft. Image: Reddit

So why has Coles gone to the trouble of installing these ominous-looking security gates? Well, the supermarket chain has seen a 20 per cent rise in theft this year, and the roll-out of these gates is the final step in a system designed to help reduce this.

The gates feature cameras that track all items that are placed in bags. If discrepancies are detected between what’s on the screen and what’s in the bag, the gate will shut, and an alarm will sound—this is meant to deter any would-be thieves from leaving the store with unpaid goods.

Coles is also using the latest anti-theft technology to prevent people from getting away with items in their trolleys. Wheels on the new trolleys will completely lock up the moment they leave the store.

A spokesperson from Coles said: 'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

The new technology also tracks customers while they’re in the store, recording how long they spend in each aisle before reaching the self-serve checkout.

Some shoppers who have been caught at the checkout or seen someone else get caught by the mysterious new gates were not too pleased about the situation.

One woman on social media said: 'Now you're locked into Coles. I couldn't get out of the self-serve checkout once I'd finished my shopping 'til they looked at my receipt and pressed a button for the new glass gates.'

Other customers voiced similar sentiments, with one saying: 'Maybe they should just create jobs and reopen checkouts and stop self-serve?'

View attachment 35645
A shopper was outraged by the newly implemented technology at Coles. Image: TikTok / @feefeegirl8

The woman also noticed that the same gates had also been installed at the staffed checkouts after passing through.

'So it's not enough that they are price gouging and ripping us off, they now lock you into Coles, and you can't get out,' the Coles shopper added.

The woman also sought answers saying, 'I asked the lady "What's going on here? Are we locked in here now?" and she's like, "Oh no no no" and I go, "Well, it doesn't seem to open when anyone walks up to it".'

The Coles shopper added an explanation on her video that once the bags have been checked, the employee needs to push a button in order for the gates to open.

However, Coles is sure to have taken into account the rise in theft and ultimately done what they believe is best to protect their customers and inventory.

Furthermore, Woolworths has also started implementing similar anti-theft measures, so you can expect to find similar gates in-store at Woolies too.

Key Takeaways

• Coles has introduced a new electronic gate system in the self-serve checkout areas to deter theft, which has sparked conversation among customers.
  • If discrepancies are found between items scanned and bagged, smart gates will shut, and an alarm will sound. If a suspected thief still tries to leave, the wheels on the high-tech trolleys will lock up.
  • The system, which includes security cameras and electronic article surveillance, tracks customers from the moment they enter the store until they reach the self-checkout.
  • Some customers have voiced their dissatisfaction with the measures, suggesting the supermarket invest in more staff instead.

Have you seen these new security gates in your local Coles? What was your reaction? Let us know in the comments below!

The way their going, they can stick their shopping experience where the monkey sticks it's nuts.

You beat me to it, I was just going to write exactly that. It annoys me when folk say they don't get paid to pack their own bags ! they don't get paid for walking round the store and putting goods from the shelves into their basket/trolley why should they be paid for doing their own packing !! beats me. We are turning into a nation of complainers, heaven forbid we become like America and start suing everyone left right and centre.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I don't mind shop security ,thieves should be stopped as we ultimately pay with a shoplifting allowance built in to the pricing,(not that this will be stopped with the thieving stopped) however to treat a person as a suspect of theft is an embarrassment that would drive me out of their store. I personally try to save the job of the checkout person. and wont use the auto system .the day they stop manned checkout is the day they lose me. I must admit they have driven me to Aldi as my main shop and I save a lot, however I note that Aldi is now introducing self checkout, it remains to be seen how they police the operation and if they still provide a manned checkout for us old dinosaurs who still like the human touch

The customers bill at the checkout includes the cost of these sucurity measures. This is on top of the already high profits they make. I line up at the operated checkouts and if people are waiting I call out and ask for more checkouts to be opened. If they tell me to use the self service, I simply reply, I'M NOT A CHECKOUT OPERATOR and you don't give me a discount for self service. Being the shit stirrer that I am, I want to fill a trolley to the top and then walk out and leave it when there is no service.

How about a new law is passed to have the letter “L” permanently tattooed on the forehead of convicted serial thieves in fluorescent ink? Don’t worry, I’m just joking 😉. 🤔

Reactions: BabsL
The customers bill at the checkout includes the cost of these sucurity measures. This is on top of the already high profits they make. I line up at the operated checkouts and if people are waiting I call out and ask for more checkouts to be opened. If they tell me to use the self service, I simply reply, I'M NOT A CHECKOUT OPERATOR and you don't give me a discount for self service. Being the shit stirrer that I am, I want to fill a trolley to the top and then walk out and leave it when there is no service.
Do you often go grocery shopping just to satisfy your urge to be a self proclaimed shit stirrer? Problem is, your actions could be rather irritating to other shoppers for obvious reasons. Or is your message another example of your shit stirring? 🤔

View attachment 35644

View attachment 35645

Key Takeaways

All those MULTI MILLIONS spent installing ‘electronic gates’ that most criminals can leap over.
It feels like we, the customers, are not trusted and not wanted in Coles.
Woolworths is worse bcz they hv made their new shelving BLACK - terribly hard to see items, shelf heights are lower, fit tighter. Looks Miserable, GLOOMY, UNFRIENDLY, and I can no longer buy our favourite savoury biscuits or cheese. Dark colours do NOT make happy customers.

Put staffed register checkouts back, give customers someone with whom to
interact to improve and brighten our day.

WHEN ARE PRICES RAISED DURING PANDEMIC GOING TO BE LOWERED TO THEIR CORRECT AMOUNTS?!!
Instead of topping up at Aldi, now I buy most at Aldi and occasionally top up at Coles. Woolworths has been crossed off my list.

Coles and Woolies have been underpaying farmers and even other food providers for years, while over charging customers and thus forcing up inflation; in other words 'stealing' and then complain when people steal from them. Drop the prices and bring back serviced checkouts and the rates of theft will drop.
You are kidding right. This scum doesn't want to pay for anything. I work in retail & watch it everyday.

You are kidding right. This scum doesn't want to pay for anything. I work in retail & watch it everyday.
One of my daughters works in a retail clothing shop part time and numerous times has had to confront thieves and would be thieves as they walk out the doors with unpaid items. She’s fed up with it. Stealing is rampant and I know if I owned any type of shop, I’d try whatever I could (and whatever I could afford), to prevent theft.

That could very well happen soon - this world is in line for a stoppage right now with all the floods, fires, cyclones, theft, protesting, damage to the property of others as a result, killing of innocent people who have not done anything wrong, and the numerous wars we’re seeing right now. One of these days the Good Lord, or whomever you each believe in, will get so fed up with us that He will just stop it from turning and we’ll all fall off.

Now don’t reprimand me for my beliefs or using He and not They in this response. You have your beliefs and I have mine.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
That could very well happen soon - this world is in line for a stoppage right now with all the floods, fires, cyclones, theft, protesting, damage to the property of others as a result, killing of innocent people who have not done anything wrong, and the numerous wars we’re seeing right now. One of these days the Good Lord, or whomever you each believe in, will get so fed up with us that He will just stop it from turning and we’ll all fall off.

Now don’t reprimand me for my beliefs or using He and not They in this response. You have your beliefs and I have mine.
Makes me think of old Louis Armstrong singing “It’s a Wonderful World”. He may not want to sing that if he were still with us!