Stop this driving habit or risk losing $514 and your driving licence!

Navigating the roads can be challenging, especially for those new to the driver's seat.

However, for P-platers, the stakes are higher due to stringent rules that could see them facing hefty fines and the loss of their driving privileges for an everyday habit.

In a world where smartphones are essential to our daily lives, it's hard to imagine not using them for navigation, especially during long drives.

However, for your grandkids with a provisional driving licence, this everyday habit could come with a costly consequence.

Jahan Kalantar, Managing Partner of Executive Law Group, highlighted what he calls one of Australia's 'craziest road rules'.

compressed-driving.jpeg
Drivers caught using their phones may face hefty fines that double up in school zones or double-demerit days. Image Credits: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio

In a video posted on social media, he warned that P-platers could be hit with a fine of up to $514 if caught using their phone's GPS.

It doesn't stop there—listening to music on your phone while driving could also lead to demerit points.

The rules, outlined by Transport for NSW, are clear: provisional drivers cannot use their phones in any capacity while driving---including hands-free mode, Bluetooth, loudspeaker, and even GPS navigation.

The only exceptions are when they must present their digital licence to police or use their phone's wallet function at a drive-thru.

P1 drivers caught using a mobile phone illegally will exceed their demerit point limit and face a three-month licence suspension.

P2 licence holders will only have two demerit points left in their record.

The standard penalty for using a phone while driving is $349, which may increase to $514 in a school zone, along with five demerit points.

Awareness must be raised, particularly among young drivers who need to realise that using their phones for directions is against the law.

The rule sparked debate among social media users, with many calling it 'outdated'.

'Not being able to use it as a GPS is insane,' one comment read.

'Making long trips without listening to music is ridiculous,' a second wrote.

'Such a crazy rule. Many young people work as delivery drivers and need a GPS to get around,' a third said.

Watch Kalantar’s explainer video here:

Source: @jahankalantarofficial/TikTok

Despite the outcry, only some believe the rule is unreasonable.

National Roads and Motorists' Association Limited (NRMA) Spokesman Peter Khoury stood by the policy and emphasised that it is designed to ensure a 'complete disconnect' between inexperienced drivers and their phones.

'It can be a complicated policy, but we understand why these specific restrictions would be applied to young drivers as they're still building their experience on the roads, and the last thing we want is for them to be distracted with their phones,' he said.

Mr Khoury also pointed out that there's no excuse for ignorance of the rules.

He stated that young drivers were taught what is and is not allowed while they're learning to drive, and these rules should always be remembered.

For our members driven around by their grandkids for errands, it's a reminder that while technology has made many aspects of our lives easier, there are times when we need to disconnect for our safety and the safety of others on the road.

This is a reminder for P-platers to stick to the rules, no matter how inconvenient they may seem, for the risks of not doing so are too high.
Key Takeaways

• P-platers in NSW are prohibited from using their mobile phones for any function while driving, including GPS navigation.
  • Using a mobile phone while driving can result in substantial fines and the loss of all demerit points for P1 drivers, with P2 drivers left with only two points.
  • The penalty for illegal mobile phone use while driving is $349, or $514 and five demerit points in a school zone, doubling during demerit point periods.
  • Despite some calling the restriction 'unfair' and 'outdated', the rule was justified to reduce distractions for inexperienced drivers.
What do you think of this road rule? Do you or your grandkids rely on their phone's GPS during travels? Let us know your insights in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I ditched using Google maps on my phone because I found it distracting, and indeed, frustrating.
If the phone reception was bad, then the map did not work as one would expect. So, I invested a small amount of money and purchased a portable GPS....much better, more reliable, works off the satellites, and, once you press go, no need to touch the unit again until reaching the destination.
As far as use of the phone goes, I am fortunate to have the Bluetooth application in my car and operate everything from my steering wheel. I shove my bag, with the phone in it, behind my seat. Unless I stop and get out of the car to get to the rear of the seat, I cannot use the phone.
If I wanted to play music off my phone, which I don't, the bluetooth looks after that too. I would not have to even touch my phone. I am not tech savvy, but do know enough to understand the workings of hands free use in the car. I cannot believe younger drivers are oblivious to the use of this technology, so, if they refuse to utilise it, then perhaps they need to be taken to task.
The only reason I have the phone connection in the car is because I have to be available 24/7 as hubby's carer. His panic button is geared to call me first. Even though I rarely venture out without him, it is an absolute necessity to operate in this way because of our situation. So, I make use of the technology so that it serves my purpose, not the other way around.
We are not slaves to technology in our home, however, are realistic in our expectations of what technology can do for us, in and out of the home.
Smart lady.

If you want to listen to music use the radio
I don't use a GPS, I google the directions before I leave.
I don't know what the fuss is about, we've managed most of our lives without all this technology. Surely P plate drivers can survive this short period of time while they are developing their driving skills.
You google the directions, and then what? Save it to memory? Because as a P plater you can't have the map on show, either directly on the phone or connected to a car screen.
Yes, yes we all know how things used to be, but that's the past. Technology is here, the good and bad of it.

I ditched using Google maps on my phone because I found it distracting, and indeed, frustrating.
If the phone reception was bad, then the map did not work as one would expect. So, I invested a small amount of money and purchased a portable GPS....much better, more reliable, works off the satellites, and, once you press go, no need to touch the unit again until reaching the destination.
As far as use of the phone goes, I am fortunate to have the Bluetooth application in my car and operate everything from my steering wheel. I shove my bag, with the phone in it, behind my seat. Unless I stop and get out of the car to get to the rear of the seat, I cannot use the phone.
If I wanted to play music off my phone, which I don't, the bluetooth looks after that too. I would not have to even touch my phone. I am not tech savvy, but do know enough to understand the workings of hands free use in the car. I cannot believe younger drivers are oblivious to the use of this technology, so, if they refuse to utilise it, then perhaps they need to be taken to task.
The only reason I have the phone connection in the car is because I have to be available 24/7 as hubby's carer. His panic button is geared to call me first. Even though I rarely venture out without him, it is an absolute necessity to operate in this way because of our situation. So, I make use of the technology so that it serves my purpose, not the other way around.
We are not slaves to technology in our home, however, are realistic in our expectations of what technology can do for us, in and out of the home.
They are not allowed to use Bluetooth.

They are not allowed to use Bluetooth.
I'm not sure how bluetooth can be policed. In my limited knowledge, the only contact with the phone should be before you take off. After that it could even be kept in the boot and still work. How can powers to be tell bluetooth is on? .... Or ... am I showing my ignorance.

GPS has nothing to do with your phone reception. It runs off a satellite just like all GPS systems do. Have you noticed the little fin on the roof of cars. That's the aerial for the GPS. If using your ph GPS it needs to have access to the sky satellitesystem.

GPS has nothing to do with your phone reception. It runs off a satellite just like all GPS systems do. Have you noticed the little fin on the roof of cars. That's the aerial for the GPS. If using your ph GPS it needs to have access to the sky satellitesystem.
No, however, Google Maps on the mobile has everything to do with phone reception. I lived it. Got to a lot of places, nowhere fast.
Since using a plain old ordinary Satellite GPS ... I get everywhere I want to go with reception not being an issue, unless I am in an underground tunnel.

I'm not sure how bluetooth can be policed. In my limited knowledge, the only contact with the phone should be before you take off. After that it could even be kept in the boot and still work. How can powers to be tell bluetooth is on? .... Or ... am I showing my ignorance.
If they look at the car screen it can be seen whether it's the inbuilt navigation system or one that is being sent from a phone via Bluetooth.

Can't see a problem using maps or music for any driver if the phone is out of reach like in the boot.

I notice we are more and more fucking idiots working in the government these days. Mr Khoury must be related to Albo and inherited Albo's mental disorder. I hope this idiot never becomes the Prime Dickhead of Australia.

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats
Why is this a problem? P players are amongst the worst drivers. It's a very good rule to stop them even touching their phone while driving. They couldn't be trusted to not use them while driving.
Let them pull into a side road, and park, if they're so desperate to use their phone.

Nearly all cars these days have built in music/GPS systems. Just programme the GPS before they start their journey. Or buy a separate GPS system to stick on the windscreen. They're not expensive.

At least it's one good road rule NSW has. 👍
Totally agree

You google the directions, and then what? Save it to memory? Because as a P plater you can't have the map on show, either directly on the phone or connected to a car screen.
Yes, yes we all know how things used to be, but that's the past. Technology is here, the good and bad of it.
Actually, yes I do. Nothing wrong with my memory.

People forget a lot of P-platers are delivery drivers. And I bet most so called Full Licence people use GPS (especially in the cities) and listen to music via their phones.
I'm am 63 and I now use my phone for music (no CD player in my car) and I use GPS, as all the roads keep changing.
I still remember having my "Gregorie's" on the seat beside me, open trying to read where I needed to get to in Sydney traffic. Or turning the radio knob hoping to find a radio station for some music or the News (we didn't have auto search back then).
The RMS & Government are only trying to raise money and trying hard to look like they are doing something about road accidents.
I for one am against this so called law. Either that or this SO CALLED RULE should be for everyone.
Australia, you are becoming more like a jail state every day.
Not nanny state but nanny country...I agree it's just revenue..always is..

Ok..no phone for music or gps..ridiculous about the music..gps..I use to look up map in book..write clip notes but still had to be viewed along the way..when it's a lot of turns and distance I am not in a position to open book again but still need to view my notes..this is absolutely bl..dy ridiculous..albanese is a d..k..along with his cronie law makers..God help us..

Not all of us have modern connective cars..mine is 24 years old so none of the modern gadgets at all including non working radio has cd player. but cant afford new cds all the time..so, I use my phone for music with a Bluetooth speaker..close as I can get to gadget magic...

Reactions: MariaG and NotNats
We complain about our rules not being hard enough, we complain about our rules being too harsh. There have been so many accidents/death on the road in relation to mobile phone use, especially texting or looking for another song to play or typing an address on the mobile GPS, etc, etc. For those that think this rule is to harsh, what would be the correct/better option?
I don't agree with all the government rule of the road but this one I tend to agree with. For example; In more modern car that have GPS, you generally can't use the GPS via typing the address, as it get disabled while driving but it can be used if you have voice command. That is a safety feature but on a mobile it's not that easy, even with the voice command on the phone. If you don't use it you wont get fined and or lose your license. STOP ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND USE THE GPS,OR TEXT OR WHAT EVER.
The point is if this rule saves lives on the road, how can you defend anyone who has kill another driver because of the use of a mobile phone. It could be a member of your family!

Not nanny state but nanny country...I agree it's just revenue..always is..
It's not just the P-Platers and not just younger people it's all of us. If is it such a nanny country, would you prefer one of your family members injured or killed because another driver was on their phone?

Reactions: freedy50 and Annna
It's not just the P-Platers and not just younger people it's all of us. If is it such a nanny country, would you prefer one of your family members injured or killed because another driver was on their phone?
You have taken my comment out of context...I was talking generally..no I dont use a phone for much but my music..and i don't need to touch it ever..nanny country is correct...our govte add extra binders to everything..

Reactions: NotNats
how are these P platers meant to get from point A to point B if they don't know ans have never been there before. I'm 79 and I use my google maps alot now that my wife who was my navigater is no longer with us. My google map directions are told to me through the radoi in my car with with my phone plugged into the USB.Surely a P plater would be aloud to do this as once its plugged in they dont need to touch it again until their journeys end when they get out.
But they do touch the phone, they are so attached to it, much more than you and I.

High school students in Qld were on their phones for most of the school day. The legislative ban that took effect in Jan 2024 has slowed that down but there are still students using phones in breach of law and school rules.

That is why a total ban on P platers is needed.

These drivers can:

1. Buy and use a GPS unit (that is not a phone); or
2. Drive a car that has a built in GPS unit (more cars now have them built in).

We forget when we got our License there were NO P Plates so no restrictions. I think too often laws and/or rules are made in the pretense that it is good for us or others. Let us not forget 2020 -2022
In August 1969 when l passed my Driver's Licence, 'Red P Plates' were indeed needed to drive a vehicle.