Stop this driving habit or risk losing $514 and your driving licence!

Navigating the roads can be challenging, especially for those new to the driver's seat.

However, for P-platers, the stakes are higher due to stringent rules that could see them facing hefty fines and the loss of their driving privileges for an everyday habit.

In a world where smartphones are essential to our daily lives, it's hard to imagine not using them for navigation, especially during long drives.

However, for your grandkids with a provisional driving licence, this everyday habit could come with a costly consequence.

Jahan Kalantar, Managing Partner of Executive Law Group, highlighted what he calls one of Australia's 'craziest road rules'.

compressed-driving.jpeg
Drivers caught using their phones may face hefty fines that double up in school zones or double-demerit days. Image Credits: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio

In a video posted on social media, he warned that P-platers could be hit with a fine of up to $514 if caught using their phone's GPS.

It doesn't stop there—listening to music on your phone while driving could also lead to demerit points.

The rules, outlined by Transport for NSW, are clear: provisional drivers cannot use their phones in any capacity while driving---including hands-free mode, Bluetooth, loudspeaker, and even GPS navigation.

The only exceptions are when they must present their digital licence to police or use their phone's wallet function at a drive-thru.

P1 drivers caught using a mobile phone illegally will exceed their demerit point limit and face a three-month licence suspension.

P2 licence holders will only have two demerit points left in their record.

The standard penalty for using a phone while driving is $349, which may increase to $514 in a school zone, along with five demerit points.

Awareness must be raised, particularly among young drivers who need to realise that using their phones for directions is against the law.

The rule sparked debate among social media users, with many calling it 'outdated'.

'Not being able to use it as a GPS is insane,' one comment read.

'Making long trips without listening to music is ridiculous,' a second wrote.

'Such a crazy rule. Many young people work as delivery drivers and need a GPS to get around,' a third said.

Watch Kalantar’s explainer video here:

Source: @jahankalantarofficial/TikTok

Despite the outcry, only some believe the rule is unreasonable.

National Roads and Motorists' Association Limited (NRMA) Spokesman Peter Khoury stood by the policy and emphasised that it is designed to ensure a 'complete disconnect' between inexperienced drivers and their phones.

'It can be a complicated policy, but we understand why these specific restrictions would be applied to young drivers as they're still building their experience on the roads, and the last thing we want is for them to be distracted with their phones,' he said.

Mr Khoury also pointed out that there's no excuse for ignorance of the rules.

He stated that young drivers were taught what is and is not allowed while they're learning to drive, and these rules should always be remembered.

For our members driven around by their grandkids for errands, it's a reminder that while technology has made many aspects of our lives easier, there are times when we need to disconnect for our safety and the safety of others on the road.

This is a reminder for P-platers to stick to the rules, no matter how inconvenient they may seem, for the risks of not doing so are too high.
Key Takeaways

• P-platers in NSW are prohibited from using their mobile phones for any function while driving, including GPS navigation.
  • Using a mobile phone while driving can result in substantial fines and the loss of all demerit points for P1 drivers, with P2 drivers left with only two points.
  • The penalty for illegal mobile phone use while driving is $349, or $514 and five demerit points in a school zone, doubling during demerit point periods.
  • Despite some calling the restriction 'unfair' and 'outdated', the rule was justified to reduce distractions for inexperienced drivers.
What do you think of this road rule? Do you or your grandkids rely on their phone's GPS during travels? Let us know your insights in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
how are these P platers meant to get from point A to point B if they don't know ans have never been there before. I'm 79 and I use my google maps alot now that my wife who was my navigater is no longer with us. My google map directions are told to me through the radoi in my car with with my phone plugged into the USB.Surely a P plater would be aloud to do this as once its plugged in they dont need to touch it again until their journeys end when they get out.
Ol! Know where you are going BEFORE you go.

Makes sense. Although I did manage to find my way around in my teenage years
without GPS .
I still rely on a map book after 55 years driving.

If going to to an unknown location alone l usually sit down the night before & write down directions. Distance approx between streets, street to turn at & whether this is left or right. These instructions are kept in a visible but not distracting place in the car. Memorise two or three points & off you go. At the lights l can note the next leg.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I still rely on a map book after 55 years driving.

If going to to an unknown location alone l usually sit down the night before & write down directions. Distance approx between streets, street to turn at & whether this is left or right. These instructions are kept in a visible but not distracting place in the car. Memorise two or three points & off you go. At the lights l can note the next leg.
Exactly what I do.

Reactions: Ezzy
It's not the fact of listening to music or the GPS.
It is against the law to have your mobile phone, even on the other front seat, especially if you are a P plater, due to the temptation to answer it if it rings.
Radio or a fitted GPS would not be a problem.
My girlfriend is 65,she was picked up for speeding and was told by the officer he could have also fined her for having her phone beside her.
I wasn't aware of this but I always have my phone in my bag, on the back seat, so it doesn't bother me.
Thanks for that,I didn't realize I can't have it on the other seat for navigation purpose. :oops:

For all the "old fashioned" map people. Obviously a map you've had for years can't be updated quickly to cover any new roads.

For a one off payment why not invest in a GPS? Just sticks on to a mount in the corner of your dashboard. You don't need to keep looking at it as you can listen to it's instructions all the time. Navigates your quickest economical route. Tells you when to turn, and into what road, in good time. Lots of POI's (Points Of Interest) on them, shops, cafes, places to visit etc. And free map updates for the life of the unit.

No, I don't work for them, but I used mine a lot before I got a car with it built in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-04-10-34-11-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-04-10-34-11-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
Would this rule apply eventually to P-platers in other states and eventually to all drivers in all states?

strange how us "oldies" manage to get around and live without a bloody phone in our hand all day everyday .
Plan your route drive the route --- not sure; just pull over or pull off the road and check your route . Sadly that seems rocket science today .

When you get a bit lost you have just seen something not planned to see

It would be safer and more intelligent for them to participate in a defensive driving course.

If you want to listen to music use the radio
I don't use a GPS, I google the directions before I leave.
I don't know what the fuss is about, we've managed most of our lives without all this technology. Surely P plate drivers can survive this short period of time while they are developing their driving skills.
Well said. Check director or Google before leaving. If you take a wrong turn, pull over, switch off & remove the keys, then Google on your phones when stationary and obeying the rules. Use your car’s radio for music (every car has one).

My understanding is that if you are legally parked and you motor is not running at all you can check your GPS.....However you are not allowed to have any part of your body outside of the car structure. I suspect the lady's head in that position is not completely in the car itself

My understanding is that if you are legally parked and you motor is not running at all you can check your GPS.....However you are not allowed to have any part of your body outside of the car structure. I suspect the lady's head in that position is not completely in the car itself
I would agree about her head in the photo shown & would also query whether her arm, resting on the window sill also contravenes the said law.