Statewide bank branch closure triggers outrage: 'This is an outrageous decision'

A recent announcement by the Commonwealth Bank has sparked a wave of criticism and concern, particularly from a group of financial industry workers.

The decision, which is set to affect 350 staff members, has been labelled as 'disgraceful' and an abandonment of the bank's customer base, especially those in regional and remote areas.

The bank's justification for the mass closure of all 60 Bankwest branches in Western Australia is the shift towards digital banking, as Bankwest Personal Banking Manager Scott Spittles cited that 97 per cent of transactions are now conducted online.

'As part of Bankwest's transition to a digital bank, we will no longer operate a physical branch footprint,' Spittles explained.

shutterstock_1631442616.jpg
Bankwest is set to close all of its 60 branches in Western Australia. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, Finance Sector Union (FSU) President Wendy Streets and other union representatives argued that the move is a betrayal of the bank's customers.

'This is a bank that makes in excess of $10 billion profit annually,' she pointed out.

'They can afford to keep banking in regional Australia.'

Streets highlighted the challenges faced by customers outside of urban centres ahead of the widespread shutdown.

'Once you get out of cities, connectivity is a real issue…even if they've got the equipment and they know how to do (online banking), which in lots of cases they don't, the actual connectivity is an issue.'

'So, you know, we've heard stories through the banking inquiry into the closure of regional and remote branches of people having to do their banking at midnight and 1 am.'

The FSU's National Assistant Secretary, Jason Hall, emphasised the impact on these groups, stating, 'This is an outrageous decision by Bankwest, which has completely abandoned its customer base in order to cut costs and become a digital bank.'

'A range of Bankwest customers will be badly affected including the most vulnerable in our community.'

'Worst affected will be the elderly, First Nations customers, people whose first language is not English, and others who are not computer literate.'

'Maintaining a branch network costs money. But surely keeping faith with a loyal customer base is an important principle when those same customers and the banking fees they pay, have been at the core of Bankwest's profitability for many years.'

Bank bosses also reiterated that the closures could be the last straw for some of its clientele.

'I hope to keep every single one of our customers,' Spittles said.

'I absolutely respect, though, that some may see a physical branch experience as really critical to them.'

The closure will happen in phases, with the busiest branches the first to be shut down.

The exact schedule of the closures will be finalised in the coming weeks.

This news comes after the Commonwealth Bank announced the closure of three more branches across the country.

Similarly, the bank explained that this decision is a response to a progressive decline in customer demand at the affected branches.

The branches in Coogee, New South Wales, Coolangatta, Queensland, and Adelaide’s Rundle Mall in South Australia closed their doors permanently last 1 March.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • Bankwest, Western Australia's oldest bank, is set on closing all 60 of its branches by the end of 2024 as it transitions to a digital-only operation.
  • The closure will impact 350 staff members.
  • The Finance Sector Union criticised the move for abandoning Bankwest's customer base.
  • Concerns about the impact on customers, particularly older Australians and those in regional areas have been raised.
Are you a Bankwest customer affected by these closures? Let us know your thoughts about this latest news below.

Sponsored
The problem is people still feel safer with big banks.

Great ideas you came up with but I would still stay with one of the bigger banks .

Maybe they just need a shake up
I have questions. Tell me exactly what makes you feel safe staying with a bank that scrutinises your every transaction, 'why are you withdrawing this amount today madam?' A bank who asks for 2 week's notice to withdraw +$10,000 cash then make you feel like you're stealing their money when doing so? A bank who is fast moving to CBDC (Central Bank Digital Currency) - yes, they too are moving to 100% digital. A bank that when you set up another account elsewhere (because the bank has now become all too controlling of your money) and you transfer sums of money into your new account, the bank holds that transaction for up to 5 days 'to be safe', even though it is going FROM an account in your name TO another account in your name! I would expect such scrutiny if I were transferring large sums to an unknown person...
We should expect to see an Australia Post banking system in the future. An Australian bank, for Australians.

Well another big profiting business not thinking of it's customers, only money in it's pockets and SENIOR MANAGERIAL PERSONS POCKETS. I have been with Bankwest since 1992. Changed from Westpac as got a better house mortgage deal at the time. Now I will check with other banks and credit unions as to the best for a 79 year old pensioner. Then stuff all the others !!!!!

Just had another thought. I now live in Baldivis WA. There will be some businesses in the Stockland Shopping Centre affected by closure of Bankwest branch. How will they be able to pay into their account the money that people buy things with and how will they be able to get change for weekend trading for thos who pay cash (mainly elderly). Those idiots who are in powerful positions in the bank obviously do not car about this at all. !!!!!!
Note: I am going to make my comments on Facebook "Public" Post.

Reactions: Ezzy
Wow, scammers are going to love this. So much easier to steal off you on line than going into a bank with a shot gun & banks don't have to be responsible.😇
Not to mention the increase in holdup of Post Offices where the security is non existant... that's just waiting around the corner

Reactions: Carol
Banking for my first car was done at a Commonwealth Bank agency at a Pharmacy. That worked well for several years.

Computers are now dictating everything we do whether we like it or not. No banks, no cash, everything by computer, no personal communication between people, we are becoming like robots. All decisions have been made for us, use a computer for everything & hope your information isn't hacked.

l still prefer cash but places l deal with are forcing me to use a card for payments without any compromise. Only yesterday l learnt that the Association where l do mosaics & which is having an Open Day next Saturday has now gone cashless. Imagine wanting an item marked for sale at $2.50 & being told, 'Card Only'. I wonder how the Raffle Tickets will be paid for, will this be Card Only too?

Reactions: Carol
Australia will have no bank branches soon, boycot I say, chsnge banks if there is one, they will do it for you at the bank, I changed from CBA to another in another state, the new bank made it so easy!.
Many banks have already closed in rural NSW and more are ready to close. ANZ has gone, now NAB & Commonwealth Bank are both closing in a few months. Luckily I can bank on line etc...

Banking for my first car was done at a Commonwealth Bank agency at a Pharmacy. That worked well for several years.

Computers are now dictating everything we do whether we like it or not. No banks, no cash, everything by computer, no personal communication between people, we are becoming like robots. All decisions have been made for us, use a computer for everything & hope your information isn't hacked.

l still prefer cash but places l deal with are forcing me to use a card for payments without any compromise. Only yesterday l learnt that the Association where l do mosaics & which is having an Open Day next Saturday has now gone cashless. Imagine wanting an item marked for sale at $2.50 & being told, 'Card Only'. I wonder how the Raffle Tickets will be paid for, will this be Card Only too?
It has already happened,, I never usually carry any cash, and found people selling raffle tickets had a machine for cards. I do use a card but do NOT use a smart watch or My phone to bank etc... only My card which has been replaced a few times in the past 12 months due to Hacking or whatever its called.... My Wife's card also has been replaced many times.. due to problems with hacking etc....

Disgraceful I am a very senior person and like many others in my situation have no knowledge of internet banking. What do I do and where do I go ...??????? At the moment we have only a Bankwest in our supermarket which has always got a queue for attention to business. But is that goes.?????

Reactions: Ezzy and IAN3005
Disgraceful I am a very senior person and like many others in my situation have no knowledge of internet banking. What do I do and where do I go ...??????? At the moment we have only a Bankwest in our supermarket which has always got a queue for attention to business. But is that goes.?????
There are big problems just waiting to happen... no one has given them a thought until the day arrives....

Wow , there you go I'm with commonwealth bank and didn't know this
I can't get my mind out of the mess we are in and continuing. What on Earth is happening. Everything is temporary, there is very little left for us to rely on.
It doesn't matter what, everything is
Changing daily.

The Normal things we trusted to be there over time for the average person,
Something we need would bethere and we could trust that it would be there.
Not now, things are constantly shifting
under our feet. There is no consistency in any aspect in our lives. Nothing we can trust in to be there, if and when we needed it. It was true of everything that used to be there it was Trustworthy and Reliable. Concreted and Secure under our feet,
Bring back the old days I wish we could.

I can't get my mind out of the mess we are in and continuing. What on Earth is happening. Everything is temporary, there is very little left for us to rely on.
Changing daily.

under our feet. There is no consistency in any aspect in our lives. Nothing we can trust in to be there, if and when we needed it. It was true of everything that used to be there it was Trustworthy and Reliable. Concreted and Secure under our feet,

Changing daily.

It's like being on the beach at the water's edge when the tide goes out... you get the sensation you are moving.