Social media erupts as wealthy 88-year-old widow asks for pension support

Here at the SDC, we know how hard it can be to receive a stable income. To relieve the constant insecurity, many older adults around Australia rely on a pension, as provided by the government, to ensure they can live comfortably in their later years.

However, with onerous restrictions and requirements to qualify for a pension, not everyone can access the payments.

Case in point: an 88-year-old widow who recently sent a question to money columnist Noel Whittaker, asking how she can get access to a pension after her husband's passing.

It was an innocent enough question about the age pension—but it would be one that divided opinion and sparked outrage among Aussies on social media.

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 11.01.50 AM.png
An Australian widow has sparked outrage over her 'entitled' question about the pension to a money columnist. Credit: Shutterstock.

'My husband and I received a part pension, but he passed away, and I now have all the assets but no pension,' she wrote, adding that she was 88 and owned her own home.

'I have $680,000 in savings and $180,000 in shares. My income is $25,000 p.a. Is there anything I can do to get a part pension?'

Unfortunately, the woman's question landed her at the centre of online outrage.

One Twitter user made a joke that the question was the type that would drive Whittaker to drink, saying: 'How often do you think Fairfax's money columnist has to drink a straight shot of hard liquor before answering a question like this every week.'

A cheeky reply to another 'Ask Noel' column's headline, 'We have $1m in assets. Can we get the age pension?' saw a user profess that 'They would have willingly died of alcohol poisoning before answering this.'

Meanwhile, another commented: 'Lady, you're 88. Where are you getting 25k per year if not investments? You'll be fine,' one Twitter user wrote.

A few criticised the woman, with many accusing her of being 'entitled', greedy, and seemingly seeking to get her hands on more money.

'The problem with old people these days is they're too entitled. Back in my day, old people reused their tea bags and were grateful,' someone wrote.

Though still puzzled by the question, some people offered more sincere responses to the woman. They suggested she could 'cash in' her shares or withdraw some of her savings and 'enjoy life for the next few years'.

Amidst the online backlash, Noel Whittaker responded and stated that the woman's question highlighted a hard lesson: how a surviving partner can lose their pension if 'all the money' in a will was passed on to them rather than 'being judiciously spread among family members'.

He revealed that according to the woman's current financial situation, she might not be eligible for an aged pension. However, he did state that if her funds are managed in the right way, she should be able to qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

1689915781562.png

Pensions have become a sensitive topic for Australians due to recent major changes made to the eligibility thresholds for receiving payments. These changes came into effect on July 1 of this year.

If you want to learn more about this topic, feel free to check out the articles we've written before, which are listed below:
Key Takeaways

• An 88-year-old Australian widow caused controversy with her question to a money columnist about how she could acquire part of a pension despite owning significant assets.
  • Many social media users criticised, mocked and even deemed the woman as 'entitled' for seeking financial advice.
  • Amidst the comments, some users gave constructive feedback, suggesting the lady either liquidate her assets or start spending her savings.
  • Noel Whittaker, the columnist, suggested that the woman's predicament highlighted how leaving all money to the surviving partner in a will could result in the loss of their pension and suggested possible solutions.

Members, if you're educated about the conditions that qualify you for a pension, it'll go a long way in helping you secure a steady retirement income.

Depending on your situation—whether you're single, a sole parent, a couple, or a carer—you may be able to receive the Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, or other income support payments.

Our advice? Use the Services Australia website to help you figure out what payments and services you're eligible for, and get in touch with the department if you need to know more.

We would like to know your thoughts on the topic discussed in this article. Did you find it helpful and informative? Please feel free to share your comments with us; we value and appreciate your feedback!

Sponsored
Why would she be greedy or selfish? She saved and now she is penalized for it. If she wouldn't have saved she would get the full pension. Not only the UK and NZ has the more fairer pension system, but a lot of other countries do too. You worked, paid your taxes, why would that effect your pension? And because YOU saved your money, you are being called selfish and greedy??? I would call the people who says that the green-eyed monster. They are just jealous of people who looked after their retirement. Why can't they all get the Senior Health Care Card at least, if they can't get the full pension.
As far as i am aware the Seniors Card is a card for all seniors over 60 something? if they are working less than 25 hrs per week, or not working - the Seniors Health Care Card - i think you can receive even if you are not on an Age-Pension, need to find out as i am not sure if this is the case?

Here at the SDC, we know how hard it can be to receive a stable income. To relieve the constant insecurity, many older adults around Australia rely on a pension, as provided by the government, to ensure they can live comfortably in their later years.

However, with onerous restrictions and requirements to qualify for a pension, not everyone can access the payments.

Case in point: an 88-year-old widow who recently sent a question to money columnist Noel Whittaker, asking how she can get access to a pension after her husband's passing.

It was an innocent enough question about the age pension—but it would be one that divided opinion and sparked outrage among Aussies on social media.

View attachment 25628
An Australian widow has sparked outrage over her 'entitled' question about the pension to a money columnist. Credit: Shutterstock.

'My husband and I received a part pension, but he passed away, and I now have all the assets but no pension,' she wrote, adding that she was 88 and owned her own home.

'I have $680,000 in savings and $180,000 in shares. My income is $25,000 p.a. Is there anything I can do to get a part pension?'

One Twitter user made a joke that the question was the type that would drive Whittaker to drink, saying: 'How often do you think Fairfax's money columnist has to drink a straight shot of hard liquor before answering a question like this every week.'

A cheeky reply to another 'Ask Noel' column's headline, 'We have $1m in assets. Can we get the age pension?' saw a user profess that 'They would have willingly died of alcohol poisoning before answering this.'

Meanwhile, another commented: 'Lady, you're 88. Where are you getting 25k per year if not investments? You'll be fine,' one Twitter user wrote.

A few criticised the woman, with many accusing her of being 'entitled', greedy, and seemingly seeking to get her hands on more money.

'The problem with old people these days is they're too entitled. Back in my day, old people reused their tea bags and were grateful,' someone wrote.

Though still puzzled by the question, some people offered more sincere responses to the woman. They suggested she could 'cash in' her shares or withdraw some of her savings and 'enjoy life for the next few years'.

Amidst the online backlash, Noel Whittaker responded and stated that the woman's question highlighted a hard lesson: how a surviving partner can lose their pension if 'all the money' in a will was passed on to them rather than 'being judiciously spread among family members'.

He revealed that according to the woman's current financial situation, she might not be eligible for an aged pension. However, he did state that if her funds are managed in the right way, she should be able to qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

Pensions have become a sensitive topic for Australians due to recent major changes made to the eligibility thresholds for receiving payments. These changes came into effect on July 1 of this year.

If you want to learn more about this topic, feel free to check out the articles we've written before, which are listed below:
Key Takeaways

• An 88-year-old Australian widow caused controversy with her question to a money columnist about how she could acquire part of a pension despite owning significant assets.
  • Many social media users criticised, mocked and even deemed the woman as 'entitled' for seeking financial advice.
  • Amidst the comments, some users gave constructive feedback, suggesting the lady either liquidate her assets or start spending her savings.
  • Noel Whittaker, the columnist, suggested that the woman's predicament highlighted how leaving all money to the surviving partner in a will could result in the loss of their pension and suggested possible solutions.

Members, if you're educated about the conditions that qualify you for a pension, it'll go a long way in helping you secure a steady retirement income.

Depending on your situation—whether you're single, a sole parent, a couple, or a carer—you may be able to receive the Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, or other income support payments.

Our advice? Use the Services Australia website to help you figure out what payments and services you're eligible for, and get in touch with the department if you need to know more.

We would like to know your thoughts on the topic discussed in this article. Did you find it helpful and informative? Please feel free to share your comments with us; we value and appreciate your feedback!
Talk about greed!! Some people just don't have a clue. You are 88, even if you spent on a good lifestyle( which you are entitled to) you'd still have enough to leave to your family. At a time like this think of other's.

And You seem to think we are not aware of this? - as for the word suckers, keep it for yourself:_) Yes people are going to vent-it is part of human nature-but sometimes there is helpful information!
Ooops I should have used the Aussie vernacular "Come in Spinner" lol

• Haha
Reactions: Milica

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

I t

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

I've never heard so much unadulterated rubbish come out of so many 'so called' educated people in all my life! When I started working back in the 60's, 14% of all my tax paid (& everyone else's) was put aside in a government managed fund specifically to fund 'everyone's' aged pension when they reached the end of their working life.
A few decades later the Lib/Nat government realised they could access this ( by now HUGE) pocket of money (that actually belonged to 'All Australians' & they spent it all!!!
Not long after that they began to change the way they talked about the pension, they started calling it 'Welfare' & lumped it in with unemployment & sickness benefits... & judging by a lot of the BS posts around this subject... the Gov Spin seems to be working.
We had what the UK & NZ have, it was the GREEDY GOVERNMENT that stole it!
Wonder if the NAAC can go back that far...

• Love
Reactions: Milica and Vinylted
This particular lady is 88yrs of age - she asked a question - perhaps she was a carer? or he was? or perhaps her husband dealt with all the monies - who knows? but what she does need is help, that is why she asked the question - where is her family or if they have any children. Clearly needs to speak with some-one at seniors advocacy service. I do hope the money columnist can give her some helpful phone numbers:_)
people work hard for retirement and pension
Everyone in Australia should receive the same pension to combat rise of living
Alas the taxpayer funded politicians with at least 13 houses or more (albo) do not see it this way, other politicians on a "small" salary of $100,000 per year need extra jobs to surviive, whilst aussies struggle
Something is wrong in this equation
It would be nice if everyone got a pension but in life not all is equal. If you have worked hard and contributed through taxes then yes to the pension BUT if you have a lot of assets (like Pollies) and are not wanting, them no, that’s just being greedy. The more some people have, unfortunately, the more they want.
On the other spectrum, get the dole bludgers of their behinds and then maybe then we could all get a more balanced retirement (and earlier)!!!!!

I am still of the belief that if you pay your taxes you should be entitled to a Full Age Pension as it used to be before the government absorbed that portion of the tax that was set aside for Social Security.
If funding of the pensions is hard maybe the government should stop giving money away to all the countries with their hands out and stop spending on all the illegal refugees that arrive on our shores.

Talk about greed!! Some people just don't have a clue. You are 88, even if you spent on a good lifestyle( which you are entitled to) you'd still have enough to leave to your family. At a time like this think of other's.
At 88 she may not be aware of financial matters - especially if it was her husband that was working all these matters out - and at 88 - lets think about how we would respond & re-act & our capacity to understand matters, (not that we would know that yet) i am pretty sure this would be different for every 88yr old including others who are way below 88yrs of age - i hope some-one can assist her without judgement!

Reactions: Gsr
If Australia gave the pension to everyone then Australia would be in so much debt that this could cause in latter years a huge problem and may result in no pensions at all.
The idea of a pension is to help seniors support themselves after retirement but if someone is fortunate enough to be able to retire with huge wealth then why should they receive a pension ?

Some people are not in high paying jobs as others which means lower super and less sayings
Totally agree, now we just need the wealthy politicians to be exempt from receiving pensions and all the extra taxpayer funded benefits they get that they don’t need, and there would be a huge surplus in the budget.

• Haha
It is not just the UK and NZ who get an age pension , most of the European countries do get that and also Canada.
I grew up in Europe and my parents and grandparents always got it and it has nothing to do with what is in your bank account or any other investments they may have . If you have $1.- or 2 million dollars in the bank you get the same pension .
So, if Australia can not afford these payments , you have to ask yourself how are all the other countries doing this . It started after WW2 . Maybe Australia should take a leaf out of these countries their book as they do look after their age pensioners.
Australia must be spending all this money for other useless things , look at Albo , he is traveling the world and spending tax payers money , he would not fly cattle class and not staying at a 3 star hotel, or having take away meals. The list is endless .
I get no age pension , as I looked after myself and saved up and spent my money wisely , but if Joe Blow down the road buys his lunches every day , having take away and goes to the pub very regularly and whatever he might do , what I have saved up . Is that correct then that he gets an age pension and I don’t ? Wake up Aussies !

I have some understanding of how she feels. Although not nearly as well off as her and living on much less each month, the same thing happened to me when my partner died. Coping with all the expenses of a death and the emotional factors, it isn’t easy to immediately have your income stream reduced. I hope she has good financial advice and family and friends who love and care for her.
That last sentence says it all.

It is not just the UK and NZ who get an age pension , most of the European countries do get that and also Canada.
I grew up in Europe and my parents and grandparents always got it and it has nothing to do with what is in your bank account or any other investments they may have . If you have $1.- or 2 million dollars in the bank you get the same pension .
So, if Australia can not afford these payments , you have to ask yourself how are all the other countries doing this . It started after WW2 . Maybe Australia should take a leaf out of these countries their book as they do look after their age pensioners.
Australia must be spending all this money for other useless things , look at Albo , he is traveling the world and spending tax payers money , he would not fly cattle class and not staying at a 3 star hotel, or having take away meals. The list is endless .
I get no age pension , as I looked after myself and saved up and spent my money wisely , but if Joe Blow down the road buys his lunches every day , having take away and goes to the pub very regularly and whatever he might do , what I have saved up . Is that correct then that he gets an age pension and I don’t ? Wake up Aussies !
You do not something for nothing. What were the lifetime Tax rates, other Govt charges, GST,etc.

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

Capable ,able bodied persons receive money for nothing, year in, year out. Yet hard working people receive nothing ,because they scrimped and saved, doing without etc . So unfair

I started work in 1958 and was upset when my employer deducted 5 shillings extra out of my pay pw. I was advised that when I get old I will get a pension when I stop work at age 65. but somewhere during the60s or 70s they changed it.( no refunds) so I think those that forcably had this deduction should collect a pension, and new rules apply after compulsory contributions ceased....just saying.... I note people seem more upset that some old folk are getting something for nothing , but seem to accept our polls digging in for their chop. Donating zillions to overseas battles and charities....just saying......

Maybe she did use her tea bags more than once, could be why she has that much money. People that age weren't wasteful going out having coffee daily. Quite sure she could manage without a pension to top up her income however.

I haven't read any where it says she worked all her life! If they collected all that wealth maybe she never had to work
What you are saying is that even if she didn't go out to work all of her life, then being a housewife is valueless and not counted as contributing.

• Wow
Reactions: IJH
I started work in 1958 and was upset when my employer deducted 5 shillings extra out of my pay pw. I was advised that when I get old I will get a pension when I stop work at age 65. but somewhere during the60s or 70s they changed it.( no refunds) so I think those that forcably had this deduction should collect a pension, and new rules apply after compulsory contributions ceased....just saying.... I note people seem more upset that some old folk are getting something for nothing , but seem to accept our polls digging in for their chop. Donating zillions to overseas battles and charities....just saying......
Fully agree, all of that money we had deducted towards a pension which was supposed to be solely for that purpose and older people have to fight to get a pension, so what happened to the money that was paid in, went into general revenue and was wasted by politicians. Back then women did not have superannuation, they were always told they will get married so won't need it.

In France you must work for 37 years and then you are entitled to a full pension doesn't matter how much you own or have in the bank. If you work less years it then becomes pro rata. If our politicians didn't get the huge payouts they do we could be in the same boat as NZ, UK and France

Was reading this message,alot of ageism in these responses,very surprised!!
Rather than bring her down would it not be better to let her know a pension test would be placed on her and then her options would be made available!!!Simple.......
Was reading Noel's response .....what is not clear to me is the asset test ,$270,000,is that only assets,not including the family home????

The Pension in Australia was set up to provide for Aged people if they didn’t have enough money to provide for themselves in their old age. It’s not an entitlement for once you retire. There are far too many loopholes at present so that people who can really look after themselves can use a clever Financial Advisor to set them up so they get either the Full Aged Pension or at least a Health Care card.
That’s why our State Health systems are so bad these days. People who have more than enough money to provide for their health needs, now use the Heslth Card to access cheaper medications & use the Public Health system.
There are far too many entitled, greedy people like this lady who forget why both the Aged Pension & the Public Health systems were set up. Instead of dying & leaving a $million+ home, share & $million+ Super fund to your family or whoever you choose, open your pwallets, let the moths free & pay for your own upkeep in all respects. There will still be plenty $$$ to leave to your family so they will be able to provide for their own old age & not be taking or expecting GGovernment $$ to flow to them.